Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just beat this game today. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to read this thread now. Though I assume people will be more negative about the game then I feel. I thought it was a really good conclusion to the series.

Oh, no, I share your opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm the same way. I have complaints, and there are some things that don't hold up as well under inspection, but then I think of the bit where they get told alternate timeline passwords don't work and muderSean comes to visit or the Sigma/Diana ending and decide that the good outweighs the bad.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013
Okay, had a lot of thoughts regarding "?" that I'm not sure if anyone else pointed out already

Rewatching the VLR secret ending; Kyle is sent back to December 25th, and Akane says his mission begins on Christmas and ends on New Year's Eve, 2028. ZTD starts on New Year's Eve, and carries over to New Year's Day. Which means Kyle is explicitly not there during the time when the game happens, but is actually there for the 5 days that the Decision Game participants are unconscious.

Consider the other things that we know about Kyle: he was born in an artificial womb and Sigma raised him as his own son. When Kyle asked for a mother, Sigma made a robot of Diana. We also know that Kyle's purpose as a "spare" was not his real purpose (his real purpose was to go back in time). What if Kyle is not actually a direct clone of Sigma at all, but is instead a hybrid of Diana and Sigma?

We know that Akane went to the Free the Soul meeting on April 12th that Delta told her to go to (since she's wearing the robes when she wakes up Sigma on April 13th), then she immediately takes him to Rhizome 9...What if VLR Akane ended up explicitly working with Delta to create the events of ZTD after meeting with him and finding out what his overall plan was (hiding her plans even from Sigma)? Then Kyle went back into Delta's body from the 25th-31st in order to set up the events of ZTD.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So here's something else I wondered and if it was explained I don't quite remember. So I understand that when the characters were saying 'Q' the entire game, they referring to the old man we never saw called Delta. What I don't quite get is how the other characters know Q's, as in the robot Sean's, name. Like when you first say Delta killed Mira in front of the transporter room, Eric will say something like "How is that possible Sean?" Or something where he says Sean's name. But how do they know? Doesn't Sean only find out his real name during one of the endings, and he never tells anyone else?

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

I just beat this game today. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to read this thread now. Though I assume people will be more negative about the game then I feel. I thought it was a really good conclusion to the series.

No, same. It's like a liferaft with a couple leaks in it if you look really close, but it gets the job done admirably.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

So here's something else I wondered and if it was explained I don't quite remember. So I understand that when the characters were saying 'Q' the entire game, they referring to the old man we never saw called Delta. What I don't quite get is how the other characters know Q's, as in the robot Sean's, name. Like when you first say Delta killed Mira in front of the transporter room, Eric will say something like "How is that possible Sean?" Or something where he says Sean's name. But how do they know? Doesn't Sean only find out his real name during one of the endings, and he never tells anyone else?

We never see Sean tell anyone his name, but that doesn't mean he never said it to someone. We have to assume there were some things that were happening off-camera we never got to see (like, well, Delta :P).

It's not clear exactly if Sean learns his name for the first time during that ending or not (Zero just says that was the name of the boy he's based on); either way, it's possible for him to just spontaneously remember it in another timeline via the quantum computer.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

Chewbot posted:

No, same. It's like a liferaft with a couple leaks in it if you look really close, but it gets the job done admirably.

Luckily Uchikoshi threw in a bunch of factors that you can use to hand-wave holes in the plot :P. Most anything can be explained away by some combination of "the morphogenetic field did it" and "mind hacking".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The only thing that really bugged me about the game is that we never find out if Eric's abusive father was arrested or otherwise punished for the murder of his youngest son (probably not, given that he had Eric dump the body in a lake). Granted, it's not important to the overall narrative if he was or not, but I want to know and not knowing bugs the hell out of me.

Life is truly unfair.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

The only thing that really bugged me about the game is that we never find out if Eric's abusive father was arrested or otherwise punished for the murder of his youngest son (probably not, given that he had Eric dump the body in a lake). Granted, it's not important to the overall narrative if he was or not, but I want to know and not knowing bugs the hell out of me.

Life is truly unfair.

Given what happens in the epilogue, one can easily form the headcanon that Eric's dad faced some serious robot-boy justice.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Winky posted:

We never see Sean tell anyone his name, but that doesn't mean he never said it to someone. We have to assume there were some things that were happening off-camera we never got to see (like, well, Delta :P).

It's not clear exactly if Sean learns his name for the first time during that ending or not (Zero just says that was the name of the boy he's based on); either way, it's possible for him to just spontaneously remember it in another timeline via the quantum computer.

Hm OK, I guess actually does make sense.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I still wish that Sean (original) was Left and not Delta's adoptive brother from when he was printed sent back in time. Even the multiple spare bodies could be tied to the Myrmidons. :(

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's not actually clear that Sean learns his name in that cutscene. The dialogue goes like this:

Zero: "I can only assume it's a remnant of the boy you were modeled off of. He struggled with an incurable disease and lost his life at the age of 10."
Sean: "Who was he?"
Zero: "He was called Sean. The same name as you."

Sean doesn't react with surprise or anything... that cutscene is the first time we hear the name "Sean", but there's not really anything indicating Sean and the others didn't already know.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's not actually clear that Sean learns his name in that cutscene. The dialogue goes like this:

Zero: "I can only assume it's a remnant of the boy you were modeled off of. He struggled with an incurable disease and lost his life at the age of 10."
Sean: "Who was he?"
Zero: "He was called Sean. The same name as you."

Sean doesn't react with surprise or anything... that cutscene is the first time we hear the name "Sean", but there's not really anything indicating Sean and the others didn't already know.

He could have also learned it there and passed it on in the other time lines.

Just one of those things best not to think too hard about in the canon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Txn posted:

I still wish that Sean (original) was Left and not Delta's adoptive brother from when he was printed sent back in time. Even the multiple spare bodies could be tied to the Myrmidons. :(
That would contradict what we heard in VLR but that would have been a more satisfying answer, yeah. It could tie into Delta's promise to the original Shaun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I do have to say, Delta's MIND HACKING powers are a lot easier to swallow when you remember in VLR it was mentioned that FTS grew unreasonably huge unreasonably fast and no one knew why, turns out it was Delta being a cheating jerk :v:

My favourite part of the ending leading to VLR is Carlos blowing his way in to rescue Junpei and Akane all heroically, followed by Akane going "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST PREVENT ALL THIS INSTEAD OF WAITING TEN MONTHS"

Carlos I love ya buddy, but dang dude foresight isn't your strongest trait

Also considering ZTD barely got made, it's pretty ballsy of Uchikoshi to leave this on a sequel hook

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 10, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Danaru posted:

I do have to say, Delta's MIND HACKING powers are a lot easier to swallow when you remember in VLR it was mentioned that FTS grew unreasonably huge unreasonably fast and no one knew why, turns out it was Delta being a cheating jerk :v:

My favourite part of the ending leading to VLR is Carlos blowing his way in to rescue Junpei and Akane all heroically, followed by Akane going "WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST PREVENT ALL THIS INSTEAD OF WAITING TEN MONTHS"

Also considering ZTD barely got made, it's pretty ballsy of Uchikoshi to leave this on a sequel hook

Predetermination or something.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Danaru posted:

Because Carlos' goal - however pointless - was to save that Akane and Junpei, and if he'd prevented the game he'd be in a different timeline that didn't contain them.

For all Akane's mystical power she sometimes has a surprisingly poor understanding of time travel.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
My biggest issue is that they were arguing over whether or not to kill other versions of themselves at the final choice when Carlos and team had been doing that for the last 6 hours of gameplay.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Capsaicin posted:

My biggest issue is that they were arguing over whether or not to kill other versions of themselves at the final choice when Carlos and team had been doing that for the last 6 hours of gameplay.

All those people were about to die or in really bad shape though. The final moral dilemma is that they were swapping with a gang who escaped the games with no memory, having just won a coin flip.

They cold murdered that timeline. Not that they seem to really give a poo poo afterwards despite the prospect of a moral dilemma.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rascyc posted:

All those people were about to die or in really bad shape though. The final moral dilemma is that they were swapping with a gang who escaped the games with no memory, having just won a coin flip.

They cold murdered that timeline. Not that they seem to really give a poo poo afterwards despite the prospect of a moral dilemma.

The Junpei who had just won the lottery got switched with the Junpei who was about to kill himself on purpose to get the X-codes.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

In Japanese they seem to get rereleased every couple of years or so for different platforms.

In Engish only Ever17 was ever released and the rights are in an enormous mess, so it seems unlikely.

The company who held the rights in Japan, Cyberfront, folded a couple of years ago and I'm not sure who owns the copyrights now. The games certainly aren't in print on any platform and the last ports Cyberfront did, for iOS and Android, are not on the app stores anymore.

They're still pretty cheap used on PSP and PS2, and I see them fairly often in second hand shops.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I still find it odd "Ever17" was added to Steam's id library a few years back and nothing became of it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Clarste posted:

The Junpei who had just won the lottery got switched with the Junpei who was about to kill himself on purpose to get the X-codes.
Ahahaha I forgot all about that. Just team C things.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Danaru posted:

Amusingly enough, one of the descriptions of Brother was that he was able to read people's thoughts, and so went "screw this, humanity sucks".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Woo, game finished, I can read this thread now.

Number of times Chill and Rigor was used in ZTD: 0

:sad:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Rascyc posted:

Ahahaha I forgot all about that. Just team C things.

My favorite bit is the one where Akane blows the reactor so that they can die and SHIFT but D-Team is still alive at that moment and that was also the timeline where Zero poisoned D-Team and Akane sent the antidote to save then before that.

I know their memories where erased but the fact that in just like a hour Akane saves and then kills D-Team is just funny.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Danaru posted:

Also considering ZTD barely got made, it's pretty ballsy of Uchikoshi to leave this on a sequel hook.
While you could make a sequel there isn't really anything hanging on it, I think it's more of a 'the adventure continues' ending.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Danaru posted:

Carlos' expression whenever serious poo poo went down was one of my favourite parts-how his face looks slightly off, so something serious will happen followed by a zoom in on his face with his mouth slightly open and his eyes going in different directions, like he just suddenly spaced the gently caress out or mentally noped out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going in I thought the game's biggest problem would be the character models but rather than actually ever being bad they were just hysterical most of the time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love the models, it was a good choice

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'm a big fan of how they cut away anytime something would-be animation-heavy happened to avoid actually animating it. Also, Akane's very stiff axe/chainsaw/whatever it was swinging.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I actually really liked the bit where the still running chainsaw blade hit the ground and the moving chain made it go tumbling. kinda clever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

While you could make a sequel there isn't really anything hanging on it, I think it's more of a 'the adventure continues' ending.

yeah, i feel like part of the point of the ending not being a choice to kill or save delta was to emphasize that from now on the players are doing their own thing, and we aren't needed anymore

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm still confused as to how a 124 year-old man managed to overpower a grown woman in her, what, late 20s, early 30s?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
M-M-MIND HACK

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They probably realized having so many plot threads would end up weighing the game down and just decided to ignore them, and I think it was probably for the better. Stuff like Delta actually being Brother was kind of hard to swallow all things considered and sorta felt like it was only because they had to wrap things up with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's like not even relevant to anything. Delta would've had plenty of reason to pull off his backwards-causality Back to the Future scheme without also involving Free the Soul... except Akane explicitly says in VLR that Free the Soul caused the Dcom incident so I guess Uchikoshi felt he couldn't just drop it like he did Li'l Kyle.

By the way, for a while I was actually worried Uchikoshi had been reading the wrong websites and that the quantum-technobabble of this installation was going to be Bayesian LessWrong-type poo poo. I mean it kinda almost is in the end anyway...

:v:

• Locked thread