Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Furia posted:

Because in their animes sociopathy is lighthearted and accepted and a trait of genius or something

I'll never quite grasp when or why being a broken person became/is cool

the phrase "Refuge in Audacity" springs to mind and then i looked it up and it's a Trope :classiclol:

I guess it must be one of the vanishingly few useful ones. Have you met people in your life who were so socially marginalized that they've given up even paying lip service to fitting in, and actively try to alienate themselves further by being deliberately unbearable? Through various means they sometimes find one another, assure each other "you're perfect exactly as you are! we are outsiders!" and reinforce the behavior through one of the geek social fallacies, and are convinced they've "won" the game against those jock popular kids, like they've cracked the code. The tvtropes website for very obvious reasons became a hotbed for folks like this, whose primary means of interpersonal interaction is online dialogue with other vengeful marginalized nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm pretty fond of the use of the phrase "bashing his skull" for an assault that was almost certainly more "bonking him on the head."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sweeperbravo posted:

the phrase "Refuge in Audacity" springs to mind and then i looked it up and it's a Trope :classiclol:

I guess it must be one of the vanishingly few useful ones. Have you met people in your life who were so socially marginalized that they've given up even paying lip service to fitting in, and actively try to alienate themselves further by being deliberately unbearable? Through various means they sometimes find one another, assure each other "you're perfect exactly as you are! we are outsiders!" and reinforce the behavior through one of the geek social fallacies, and are convinced they've "won" the game against those jock popular kids, like they've cracked the code. The tvtropes website for very obvious reasons became a hotbed for folks like this, whose primary means of interpersonal interaction is online dialogue with other vengeful marginalized nerds.

Plenty of tropes are viable literary analysis/social commentary. The site lasted a decently long time before anime boob charts and insular pedo communities scared everyone away.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Of all the Troper Tales that have been posted, this is the most mundane. This would be only mildly interested even as it was happening.

Recently found out my brother frequents TV Tropes. He actually is autistic and I can completely imagine him writing some of these (no skull bashing though).

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

:sever:
Fake edit: can you cut off contact with someone who doesn't exist?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

Of all the Troper Tales that have been posted, this is the most mundane. This would be only mildly interested even as it was happening.

Recently found out my brother frequents TV Tropes. He actually is autistic and I can completely imagine him writing some of these (no skull bashing though).

The ones like this where they probably happened, but are also literally the least interesting story anyone could ever tell, are the saddest.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Plenty of tropes are viable literary analysis/social commentary. The site lasted a decently long time before anime boob charts and insular pedo communities scared everyone away.

Good point.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Kajeesus posted:

anime boob charts and insular pedo communities

Why are these phrases that have to exist

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion
Audition

quote:

Proving that I am an extreme dork, I once showed up at an audition that was being run by several of my theater friends for a student-produced show. I had signed up near the end of the day, and I realized they were probably really tired and felt like going home. So not knowing what else to sing, and figuring they could at least use a laugh, when I got up in front of them to sing, I pulled out my cell phone, opened my music files, turned on Never Gonna Give You Up, and proceeded to Rickroll the auditioners. Granted, I probably wouldn't have gotten away with it if I hadn't known them pretty well, but it got me one of the lead roles, so I'm not complaining. Hopefully, I will have the balls to do this to real professional auditioners one day.

Sugoi

quote:

This troper has two moments that she considers to be the highest points of awesome in her life.
At an anime convention in her state a few years ago, she went up to Yoshitaka Amano after his panel, and while he was signing an artbook for her, asked him - personally, in coherent and socially-correct Japanese - if he would please look at some art from her sketchbook. He agreed, and offered a few comments. While this troper's listening comprehension has always been poo poo when comes to Japanese and she has no idea what he actually told her, she drat well understood when he took one look at one of her pictures and said "Ah, sugoi!" She more or less idolizes the man, and lived off that compliment for a week.
This one might actually be a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming instead. Having just started working at Disney World on the Disney College Program, this troper spent a day off at Epcot for fun and souvenirs. She is magpie-like when it comes to swag, and was especially bad about the enamel pins they sell. At the end of the day, she went back to the monorail to return, and ended up sitting on a bench with a boy sporting a Give Kids the World badge. Normally, this troper would have been too shy and awkward to say anything. This night, high on Disney and very mindful of her excessive pile of swag and her duties as a Cast Member, she reached into her bags, pulled out a box of pins, and handed one over to him as a present. She introduced herself, they shook hands, and while they didn't really talk after that, this troper saw him turning the pin over and over in his hands for a long time afterwards, looking at it from every angle. She had a warm fuzzy feeling the whole way home. That was the moment when she first really felt she was getting what it meant to be a Disney Cast Member. (The capstone to the whole experience was when, coming off the monorail, she looked down and saw her shadow... which had sprouted a pair of Mickey Mouse ears. She had forgotten she was wearing one of those Mickey-ear hats. It felt like being given a merit badge.)

Flintlock

quote:

Same troper as above's father also once flushed a flying squirrel down a toilet. Yeah, we have trouble with squirrels. Oh, and the father also hitchhiked in the mountains of Turkey on a logging truck, riding the logs. And shot a homemade flintlock. And accidentally (and unexpectedly) converted a 1911 semiautomatic military shotgun to full automatic during a hunting trip.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Photo of a card left at a memorial for Philando Castile

Maybe it's reading this thread too long but this feels like a fake.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Photo of a card left at a memorial for Philando Castile

Maybe it's reading this thread too long but this feels like a fake.

Not so much. The misspellings are far too cutesy (and legible enough to allow any reader to make them out) as is the art style. All of which is too cutesy for reality.

Overall, I just think it was someone trying to make a point about the unexpected consequences of police shootings.

Done badly.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Samizdata posted:

Not so much. The misspellings are far too cutesy (and legible enough to allow any reader to make them out) as is the art style. All of which is too cutesy for reality.

Overall, I just think it was someone trying to make a point about the unexpected consequences of police shootings.

Done badly.

Dear Police

Whenever you shoot someone, memes spontaneously explode all over social media and clutter the place up with fake maudlin crap. So please stop shooting people.

Yours,

The Internet

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Khazar-khum posted:

Dear Police

Whenever you shoot someone, memes spontaneously explode all over social media and clutter the place up with fake maudlin crap. So please stop shooting people.

Yours,

The Internet

Christ, reality has become an Onion article, hasn't it?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Khazar-khum posted:

Dear Police

Yours,

The Internet

Can you imagine a world in which nothing is meme-worthy?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

poo poo that did happen: my high school's theater kids did a send off of the departing theater director by Rickrolling the audience at the final performance of that year's play. This was three years after the height of Rickrolling. I still cringe when thinking about it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

"Shhh, mom it's the long con."

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Can't wait for the rest of the inevitable Pokemon Go stdh to start bubbling out. "I met someone who is [demographic], and to my surprise, they also play pokemon! We are not all so different after all"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sweeperbravo posted:

Can't wait for the rest of the inevitable Pokemon Go stdh to start bubbling out. "I met someone who is [demographic], and to my surprise, they also play pokemon! We are not all so different after all"

It's gotta be between a black man and a cop. It's just tone deaf enough to be perfect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Khazar-khum posted:

Flintlock

quote:

Same troper as above's father also once flushed a flying squirrel down a toilet. Yeah, we have trouble with squirrels. Oh, and the father also hitchhiked in the mountains of Turkey on a logging truck, riding the logs. And shot a homemade flintlock. And accidentally (and unexpectedly) converted a 1911 semiautomatic military shotgun to full automatic during a hunting trip.

A 1911 isn't a shotgun, it's a semiautomatic pistol. Those can't "accidentally" be converted to full automatic.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

JK. Maybe I saw this trash in the wild.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

A 1911 isn't a shotgun, it's a semiautomatic pistol. Those can't "accidentally" be converted to full automatic.

There is a Remington Model 11 semi-auto shotgun though. Except once we start trying to devil's-adovcate STDH then we all lose so pretend I didn't say that.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

For gently caress's sake

Also everyone knows you find Mews under trucks, not Onix.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, no. Didn't happen.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

"And them we started suckin' each others dicks, because who the gently caress else goes walking around a park at night around 3 AM except the extraordinarily horny"

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

sweeperbravo posted:

Like this classic bullshit that's been floating around the internet for years, and goes to the front page of Imgur like every drat week

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

"And them we started suckin' each others dicks, because who the gently caress else goes walking around a park at night around 3 AM except the extraordinarily horny"

Plausible, Red Team does suck dicks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whoever wrote this probably hasn't even played Pokemon Go. The same Pokemon are available to everyone in the same area, but they're unique instances on each phone (so if one player sees an Eevee in a place, everyone else can catch an Eevee there). It's impossible to "steal" a Pokemon from anyone.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

hogmartin posted:

There is a Remington Model 11 semi-auto shotgun though. Except once we start trying to devil's-adovcate STDH then we all lose so pretend I didn't say that.
That one was produced starting in 1905 though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Like this classic bullshit that's been floating around the internet for years, and goes to the front page of Imgur like every drat week

Dude in the 3 am walk story told the guys on the bench how he got an Evee. Is this just a continuing story of a white kid living and learning about Pokemon as he encounters Magical Negroes?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Dude in the 3 am walk story told the guys on the bench how he got an Evee. Is this just a continuing story of a white kid living and learning about Pokemon as he encounters Magical Negroes?

That(3DS) is the prequel. Now, 20+ years later, older and "wiser" he once again meets a new black generation to "play" pokemon with while simultaneously being terrified.
KEEP IT REAL

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Ah, so that's the difference between Pokemon Black and White.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Postal Parcel posted:

That(3DS) is the prequel. Now, 20+ years later, older and "wiser" he once again meets a new black generation to "play" pokemon with while simultaneously being terrified.
KEEP IT REAL
:gary:

Paladinus posted:

Ah, so that's the difference between Pokemon Black and White.

:gary: :yarg:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"ya frickin Rattata"

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Can't even keep her story straight across two paragraphs. Is she looking for water Pokémon or is she looking for a Ghastly?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
"Someone smiled at me and asked if I need help. gently caress that rear end in a top hat."

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Fezz posted:

Can't even keep her story straight across two paragraphs. Is she looking for water Pokémon or is she looking for a Ghastly?

And what does she mean "following"? Could she see it or does she just mean she saw its sillhouette in the corner? How come none of the Pokemon GO STDH writers actually understand how the app works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Inconsistencies are the best part of STDH stories.