Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I use it with a palm grip, but it does involve the wrist and pushing with your fingers a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The G502 is totally a palm mouse, it just has the entire right half of the mouse missing.

I'm tempted to try a Kone XTD Optical but I don't know if it'd be a downgrade.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bunch of goons with weird hands itt.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Wishing the G502 were wider is not exactly the most uncommon thing, its a very narrow mouse. Its also my biggest complaint about it.
Similar to how I love and prefer the Naos shape but wish it were slightly taller and larger overall.

Anyone here used both the G502 and Kone XTD? Does the Optical Kone even use a perfect sensor?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
My small hands appreciate the G502's svelte size.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I miss old Logitech style buttons that had a plastic border around the LMB and RMB so when I bump into stuff it doesn't click. also it's nice to rest my middle finger to the right of the RMB but now, at least on the 602, you can't do that, well you can but there's no plastic so you'll be pushing the RMB a lot by accident. Among other thing this is why I dislike Razer mice.

I would gladly pay multiple dollars for a wireless g400 that is basically just a mx518 but wireless with the battery life of the 602.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I miss my G9x, best mouse I ever had, as far as my palms are concerned.

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
I picked up a G502 spectrum today. I got microcenter to price match the $60 amazon/newegg price. I like its functionality a lot, but do see how it can be considered thin. Coming from my Naos to this is a weird pinky feeling for sure, but I'm getting used to the palmy-claw thing that's happening.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Speaking of G502 and Naos, I actually took a picture of them side by side today for someone (with a bonus disassembled Func MS-3!)
Here it is for anyone who might be curious:

As you can see they're about the same length, with the Naos being a little "pointier" in the back, and obviously wider due to the shelf. What you can't see about it is that its also not as tall, and is a bit flatter, having a shallower curve across the length than the G502. I find it slightly more comfortable, but its a slightly different grip and the button layout and sensor of the G502 are why I use it over a Naos.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I just got a Razer Mamba TE (right around $100 after tax) and it's the most responsive, comfortable, and hypnotizing mouse (yes, it's Chroma enabled) I've ever used. Plus, it's corded! No regrets here.

Edit: Now I'm so sorely tempted to pick up the Firefly mouse pad to go with it. drat you Razer and your mesmerizing flashing lights...

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 12, 2016

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm in the market for a new mouse price isn't an issue. I'm interested in the final mouse 2016 and the Logitech G502. Any recommendations on what I should go with? I mostly play Overwatch. I won't get a Razer mouse since the tactile sensor on the left click has consistently broken for me every time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Skip the Final Mouse IMO, just overhyped products with cheap OEM parts and no extras for a high price. I wouldn't get the G502 for OW personally, I stopped using mine for that game specifically because the weight is a bit too heavy.

Get a G900 if price really isn't an issue and you don't mind the symmetrical fingertip/claw style. Or a Naos 7000 if you want something more in a palm grip.

Any of Zowie's products are worth a look as well assuming you are okay with 0 frills or customization, they have stuff in much lighter weights as well which can be a big factor depending on how heavy you are okay with.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Neitherman posted:

I just got a Razer Mamba TE (right around $100 after tax) and it's the most responsive, comfortable, and hypnotizing mouse (yes, it's Chroma enabled) I've ever used. Plus, it's corded! No regrets here.

Edit: Now I'm so sorely tempted to pick up the Firefly mouse pad to go with it. drat you Razer and your mesmerizing flashing lights...

It will be a great mouse until one of the buttons start doing weird poo poo a year from now

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Seconding the bit about the G502 being a bit overheavy for Overwatch.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Refuting the bit about the G502 being too heavy for anything. Its heavy, but it won't stop you from playing anything well. Especially if you palm grip, where the weight seems to matter less than for fingertip or claw grips.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Backing the people who are kinda down on the G502. Thinking about getting another lighter mouse, maybe a G900. The macro buttons on the G502 are so friggin' great, though, so it makes for a great general mouse, but for twitchy gaming like Overwatch, you might be at risk of strains and bad MMR.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

These G502 complaints are amusing.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If you have a perfectly great quality mouse and are blaming your poor gaming on its weight, maybe you're just bad at the game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Horizontal Tree posted:

If you have a perfectly great quality mouse and are blaming your poor gaming on its weight, maybe you're just bad at the game.
You need to take things less seriously.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

I do have a palm style, so I'll take a look at the mouses that are listed. Weight doesn't bother me one bit and I actually prefer heavier mouses. But I will take a look at the ones listed. You guys are great thank you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you don't play competitive games at 800 dpi you're doing it wrong.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ufarn posted:

You need to take things less seriously.

I'm very happy you can tell my extreme seriousness from my post.

Josh Lyman posted:

If you don't play competitive games at 800 dpi you're doing it wrong.

400dpi 4 life

ufarn
May 30, 2009

JackDarko posted:

I do have a palm style, so I'll take a look at the mouses that are listed. Weight doesn't bother me one bit and I actually prefer heavier mouses. But I will take a look at the ones listed. You guys are great thank you.
I prefer heavy mice in general, but the G502 seems like too much for FPS gaming. For average desktop use, it's perfectly fine.

Anyone tried both the G402 and G900? I imagine the latter is preferable, but I don't know exactly how they compare.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 13, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Horizontal Tree posted:

counterpoint: G600 - it's a glowing brick with a laser and buttons on it, and would be just as useful for self-defense

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

ufarn posted:

Anyone tried both the G402 and G900? I imagine the latter is preferable, but I don't know exactly how they compare.

I have both... for starters the G402 is ergonomic, the G900 is ambidextrous. They have different sensors. One is wired, one is wireless. The G900 m1/m2 are on a "lever system" which give them a different feel. G900 costs 3x as much. Not super comparable. That said, I'm currently using the G900 and think it's a great mouse so if you don't mind spending a stupefying amount on your input peripherals them I say go for it.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Neitherman posted:

The sensor can't detect small movements, it has delay, and has a weird z-axis issue.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

I have been rotating the g303, ec2a, and deathadder chroma (all plugged in at once, all on the same windows sensitivity, dpi, and in-game sensitivity) and changing them randomly for the last month while playing in Overwatch.

all of these were done on the razer sphex hard mousepad, I can't find any soft mousepad that I like because they make the mice feel heavier and I can't find a hard mousepad to replace the sphex I've been using for ages. help?

ec2a has the best mousewheel - the new benq models, which are 16-step. it feels like you're running your hand against pages of a closed novel, and since I use the upstroke instead of lshift I like the fewer steps, it's just more consistent
deathadder chroma has the best sensor - it's either the sensor or shape but I feel like it's just slightly better than the others
g303 has the best buttons - by far the best buttons of all mice I've used so far. mwheel is also completely consistent but I wish it had fewer steps but w/e

and for the negatives:

ec2a's coating feels... sticky. I can't clean it enough, it still feels like this, it's not a huge deal, but I just don't like it. I wish I could turn the LED off
deathadder chroma's mousewheel is rattly on the upstroke. also I have this kind of issue where I can be pressing a button on this thing and not actually feeling like I'm pressing a button. I could do without the added grips under the side buttons and to the right of the mouse
g303 - no real complaints but I sometimes press the right click accidentally due to the way I hold the mouse, and it could do with a non-braided cable like the ec2a, and yeah the dpi button is useless since it gives no indication of what dpi profile you're using

I decided to try something different and ordered a Steelseries Rival 300 in white, specifically white because they're glossy and not matte. I'm hoping it's not too big for me

I'm running out of mice to buy.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

TL;DR: Are there mice with lots of buttons that change function depending on the program you're using?

---

So I just bought this mouse and I actually feel compelled to talk about it. Maybe you guys can recommend a different/better mouse that has the same feature.

First off, I'm a heavy CAD user - AutoCAD, Revit, Sketchup, other rendering software.

I purchased a 3Dconnexion Cadmouse ($99usd / $120cad).

So far - it's awesome. Feels amazing, tracks really well, moves nicely on the desk. I'm upgrading from a cheap Logitech RX300 and my god... I need one for the office now, too.

The coolest part about it, though, is that the software/driver (3DxWare 10) for actually integrates with the APIs of different programs and it re-assigns the buttons on the mouse depending on what window you're in. There are two little buttons (aside from the typical ones), a "forward" and "backward" button that sit above your thumb. In Chrome, they are forward/backward (but could be customized to be anything). In Revit, they are currently doing a variety of things - in other programs with better API integration they will do different things depending on what you have active (mainly Autodesk Inventor).

So what I'm wondering is - are there other mice that do this as well, with more buttons? I'm already giddily mapping shortcuts in all of my software, marveling at how much I can do and how much more productive I am and floored by the fact that these two little buttons are accomplishing so much. More buttons would be even more amazing, and would let me get a level of finesse in Revit that even this awesome little mouse can't quite get.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Most you are going to get is around 17 buttons, like on Razer Naga

or Logitech G600.

Not sure what's up with Razer's drivers (should be fine, Naga is hyperpopular), but with Logitech you can rebind every key in a bunch of ways (pictures below), and create individual profiles that will automatically enable themselves if a particular executable file is running. Supports windows well, so you can have Revit in 1 window, Sketchup in another, and the whole thing will flawlessy switch between function sets on the fly as you move through windows. If this is undesired, you can just softlock a particular profile to be enforced as long as a particular executable is running, rather than just being active.

There is Lua-based scripting API for Logitech drivers, and you can write custom scripts for profiles if that is your thing and you can't get around with what it offers as such. Individual button configuration options look like this:

Neither of mice most of the thread will be familiar with/and/or recommend will have any sort of automatic API integration with things like CAD software, however.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Reporting in, I purchased the G900 and boy is it amazing. I have a palm grip and it feels great. The weight is perfect and I'm using 800 DPI and 5 sensitivity for Overwatch. Quick question when aiming with a good mouse should I be moving the mouse with my arm or wrist? I'm mainly using my wrist and think my aim would improve if I used my arm.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

JackDarko posted:

Reporting in, I purchased the G900 and boy is it amazing. I have a palm grip and it feels great. The weight is perfect and I'm using 800 DPI and 5 sensitivity for Overwatch. Quick question when aiming with a good mouse should I be moving the mouse with my arm or wrist? I'm mainly using my wrist and think my aim would improve if I used my arm.
Arm aim at low sensitivity, always. Better for both aim and arms.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

kalstrams posted:

Arm aim at low sensitivity, always. Better for both aim and arms.

This is really hard to adjust to after years, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deviant posted:

This is really hard to adjust to after years, though.
Yeah, carpal tunnel will be even harder.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Also in OW that's like 1.5@800 in CS, which isn't terribly too high. That's my quake sensitivity

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Audax posted:

Also in OW that's like 1.5@800 in CS, which isn't terribly too high. That's my quake sensitivity
That's solidly on high end.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

kalstrams posted:

For CS, true. I don't think it's that high for Overwatch.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Audax posted:

For CS, true. I don't think it's that high for Overwatch.
Yeah, I mean for CS in particular, as you mentioned it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kalstrams posted:

Yeah, carpal tunnel will be even harder.
Carpal tunnel isn't guaranteed or even likely from using your wrist to control the mouse. Maintain 0-15 degrees of vertical flexion in either direction and don't hyperextend horizontally. Stretch daily as prehab, make sure not to forget if you experience soreness. If you experience pain or numbness stop until it goes away which might take a few weeks. You should be using your arm or lifting for long range or "global" movements (in CS I'd say >75-90 degrees depending on sens and situation) but using wrist for precise aim or "local" movements.

There's no reason to slam a superior aiming style. If he were physically incapable of using his wrist to aim due to carpal tunnel or did not have the dexterity to use wrist/fingers to aim then sure. If arm feels natural there's nothing wrong with it, but it has a lower ceiling compared to wrist.

kalstrams posted:

The high end of normal. 2.2-3.1 @ 400 dpi is a pretty normal sens range. Anything outside of that is an outlier. You have elite level players who usually fall at either the high end of that or higher (3.4 spawn, 3.5 forest) and then arm only people who often fall lower.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 17, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Khorne posted:

Carpal tunnel isn't guaranteed or even likely from using your wrist to control the mouse. Maintain 0-15 degrees of vertical flexion in either direction and don't hyperextend horizontally. Stretch daily as prehab, make sure not to forget if you experience soreness. If you experience pain or numbness stop until it goes away which might take a few weeks. You should be using your arm or lifting for long range or "global" movements (in CS I'd say >75-90 degrees depending on sens and situation) but using wrist for precise aim or "local" movements.

There's no reason to slam a superior aiming style. If he were physically incapable of using his wrist to aim due to carpal tunnel or did not have the dexterity to use wrist/fingers to aim then sure. If arm feels natural there's nothing wrong with it, but it has a lower ceiling compared to wrist.
The problems is that normal people often have very little idea about CTS and how to prevent it, and usually wrist aim implies almost immobile arm and all movements done by wrist. Arm movements with wrist adjustments are the way to go, but that comes naturally when you transition from using wrist exclusively, since it's not trivial to just "forget" decade(s) of muscle memory.

Khorne posted:

The high end of normal.
So, solidly on high end? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

kalstrams posted:

The problems is that normal people often have very little idea about CTS and how to prevent it, and usually wrist aim implies almost immobile arm and all movements done by wrist. Arm movements with wrist adjustments are the way to go, but that comes naturally when you transition from using wrist exclusively, since it's not trivial to just "forget" decade(s) of muscle memory.
So, solidly on high end? :confused:
So we actually agree. I just thought you were in the arm only camp.

One thing I will say about only using your arm and a sensitivity of molasses is that anyone could do it and do it well with some practice.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 17, 2016