Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
government contracting is a specialized field because government buyers are dumber than gently caress

whenever purchasing goes all fuckfaced, you gotta ask: are you being fleeced, or did you fleece yourself? it is often a little of both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the twin cities transit authority apparently uses a mix of bombardier and siemens LRT vehicles and i've never heard that there were problems with them. i don't follow this stuff very closely though

and yeah if you want to legally scam the poo poo out of people with your business, go into government contracting and lobbying.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fits my needs posted:

why didn't BART go with standard cars and standard gauge so our poo poo could be cheaper, gently caress.

because bart, like other metro systems designed in the 1960s in the US, is a urban metro/suburban commuter hybrid thats the worst of both worlds

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the gauge really only costs more for off the shelf maintenance stuff, the cars/bogeys and whatnot are going to be customer specific in pretty much every large metro system anyway

when your train car order costs $1.5 billion, the ~1 million it costs to retool the factory for india gauge doesnt stand out

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yep, exactly this.

bombardier makes shitloads of gear for nyc and boston and it works Just Fine

wrongo bongo. they made the driverless train and a bunch of the commuter rail trains that poo poo themselves

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/04/12/how-federal-rules-make-it-harder-to-build-trains-in-america/

quote:

The 130 double decker railcars were approved for purchase in the 2008 stimulus package, destined for service in the Midwest and California. But the terms of the $352 million contract awarded to Nippon Sharyo, an American subsidiary of a Japanese rail company, made it impossible to complete on time. The company now says it won’t begin construction of the trains until 2018, when the order was supposed to be completed.

The problem can be traced to two regulations: a strict “Buy America” manufacturing requirement and the Federal Railroad Administration’s unusual safety rules.

The 2008 stimulus bill included a Buy America provision that compelled the winning bidder to build its trains “entirely in the U.S. with domestically sourced components and materials,” Tita reports.

Problem is, America doesn’t have much of a domestic passenger railcar industry, in part because the passenger train market is pretty small. To comply with the law, the Japanese company had to set up a subsidiary in the U.S. and build a brand new $100 million plant. That was the easy part.

What turned out to be more difficult was acquiring needed components that were made in the U.S. Nippon Sharyo appealed to Caltrans, which is overseeing the project, for an exemption to source these from Japan, according to Tita.

Compounding the difficulty of sourcing the parts is that Nippon Sharyo has to construct a railcar model that has never been built before. That brings us to the second problem.

Nippon Sharyo ran up against the FRA’s infamous crashworthiness standards, which “Nippon Sharyo’s car hasn’t been able to pass,” reports Tita. As a result, the company is going to have to spend the next few years reengineering the body.

America’s mandate for railcars that can withstand these crash tests is unusual, and it makes trains more expensive to build and operate without actually making them safer. In a classic post at Bike East Bay, Eric McCaughrin likened the FRA to “the soccer-Mom who thinks an SUV provides greater safety, theFRA figures collisions are inevitable and heavier is better.”

It's a pity that train manufacturing is treated as a jobs program rather than actually aiming to build trains.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/04/12/how-federal-rules-make-it-harder-to-build-trains-in-america/

It's a pity that train manufacturing is treated as a jobs program rather than actually aiming to build trains.

idk that all sounds like WONTFIX WAI to me

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
that reads entirely as foreign company thought they could produce but didn't actually look into the costs and is now trying to weasel out of it. unless these us has asc abortion clinic level of safety requirements (afaik they do not), the complaint for unsafe vehicles falls on deaf ears to me. this is just someone trying to cut corners around their contract.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

US rail regs really are that bad and the Sharyo's are generally who you want building your trains, but yeah. they shoulda known better tbh

if the Sharyo's are goofin up (Kinki Sharyo's LA metro cars arent getting great reveiws), you are kinda boned regardless of who makes your stuff. Hyundai Rotem currently has duel scandals going with all the SEPTA cars and the Metrolink cab units both needing millions in retrofits

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
the whole point of the program was to promote us industry to create and make these things. they wanted it built from the ground up in the us. if we wanted an off the shelf japanese model they could have just flat out bought that. that misses the point of the program.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i assume the regs are supposed to decrease the odds of derailment or something, because if you don't derail everything should be fine, and if you do then everything is probably hosed regardless of car design

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rjmccall posted:

i assume the regs are supposed to decrease the odds of derailment or something, because if you don't derail everything should be fine, and if you do then everything is probably hosed regardless of car design

no they literally require crumple zones and poo poo. on a train. its really stupid

its sorta like how the TSA adds dumb new regs after an incident so they can claim they responded, even if we all know its bullshit

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

The regs are mostly based around making sure your train car is really heavy, so that it can collide with a freight train. It does not require modern safe signalling features to prevent collisions, as that would require systematic change.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

no they literally require crumple zones and poo poo. on a train. its really stupid

its sorta like how the TSA adds dumb new regs after an incident so they can claim they responded, even if we all know its bullshit

lol

how about focusing on making sure trains don't crash into other trains the first place

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
amazing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

mishaq posted:

lol

how about focusing on making sure trains don't crash into other trains the first place

that would be european

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cygni posted:

actually the euro regs allow for crumple zones and poo poo, which is cool and good

the FRA requires that the trains bounce off each other

basically the difference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it requires things like "these cars cannot telescope" which is actually good

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bloody posted:

i had never thought of telescoping passenger cars until now.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

the whole point of the program was to promote us industry to create and make these things. they wanted it built from the ground up in the us. if we wanted an off the shelf japanese model they could have just flat out bought that. that misses the point of the program.

this is anti-free market

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
is that an actual frequent enough occurrence to worry about or is it mostly a theoretical one with no real incidents to support?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ArmZ posted:

this is anti-free market

well, yeah. its a domestic stimulus program.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

is that an actual frequent enough occurrence to worry about or is it mostly a theoretical one with no real incidents to support?

no idea, i just know that it's one of the drivers of the existing regulations

apparently it does happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescoping_(rail_cars)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol holy poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_2009_Washington_Metro_train_collision

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

no idea, i just know that it's one of the drivers of the existing regulations

apparently it does happen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescoping_(rail_cars)

it's bad!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=85#post461857022

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yep, exactly this.

bombardier makes shitloads of gear for nyc and boston and it works Just Fine

same for the CTA though all the new cars did get pulled out of service a few months after introduction due to the CTA shops noticing the axles were mis-cast, and had to wait for Bombardier to try again

Bombardier does not have the contract for the next train set order, that went to some Chinese company that is building a factory somewhere in Illinois

also I guess the FRA regs explain why CTA cars are still based on a 1964 Pullman design.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

lol yeah ok. tell us more about your track sharing app.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bloody posted:

sure but the euro/japanese regs help prevent that too and dont require every traincar to be a 10 million ton lump of solid steel

heres the latest drama around FRA regs and buy america and all that http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/07/07/phillys-railcar-meltdown-and-americas-disastrous-train-regulations/

also some industry group did a study a few years back and basically came to the conclusion that the FRA regs made US trains less safe and more expensive but idk where i saw that

Cygni fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 11, 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

sure but the euro/japanese regs help prevent that too and dont require every traincar to be a 10 million ton lump of solid steel

heres the latest drama around FRA regs and buy america and all that http://usa.streetsblog.org/2016/07/07/phillys-railcar-meltdown-and-americas-disastrous-train-regulations/

also some industry group did a study a few years back and basically came to the conclusion that the FRA regs made US trains less safe and more expensive but idk where i saw that

idk seems more like bad public requisitions processes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
toronto transit: the network effect or why you don't let shaggars control transit planning

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

lol

Yeahhhhhh…

The push to implement PTC on a national rail level has been an absolute clusterfuck. In 2008 they set a deadline of 2015. It's been extended to 2018 and everyone's operating under the assumption that they're going to extend it again because there's no way they're making that deadline.

Then there's the part where every rail carrier has been building systems which aren't interoperable. And the fact that there's only a single company developing the in-cab equipment and charging $100,000 per install with what should be $5000 of equipment.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

Yeahhhhhh…

The push to implement PTC on a national rail level has been an absolute clusterfuck. In 2008 they set a deadline of 2015. It's been extended to 2018 and everyone's operating under the assumption that they're going to extend it again because there's no way they're making that deadline.

Then there's the part where every rail carrier has been building systems which aren't interoperable. And the fact that there's only a single company developing the in-cab equipment and charging $100,000 per install with what should be $5000 of equipment.

something something we wont have gps-based ATC for airplanes until 2133

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

something something we wont have gps-based ATC for airplanes until 2133

hell, aviation isn't going to meet the deadline for installing ADS-B transponders in every plane

all the avionics installers are starting to get booked up years in advance. Come 2020 there's going to be quite a few grounded Cessnas.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

well at least we'll have self-crashing cars

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
did we talk about bike lanes yet

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

where i live bikes have priority over cars at roundabouts and separate lanes its loving awesome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

dirty red spotted

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

communist europe owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

where i live bikes have priority over cars at roundabouts and separate lanes its loving awesome

my favorite roundabouts are the ones in aruba that enforce lane enter/exit conventions with curbs. enter in the left lane and you can't exit on the first exit, curb directs you to the 2nd or 3rd exit.

• Locked thread