Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Dandy Kaiser posted:

In a effort to

a) be as young and cheap as possible while still being relatively "win now"
b) fulfill my homer lust by getting one of the two good players on my favorite team
c) piss off VJeff

The San Jose Sharks Sharks Sharks are pleased to make a bit of a reach, and await one of the few players we are hopeful will fall past the turn, to select Dylan Larkin

suck it

Larkin was my last resort choice if MacKinnon had been taken

Yaya posted:

In need of a number 1 centre, as well as a veteran presence in the locker room, the Edmonton Oilers take Jumbo Joe Thornton

37 years young, but a hall of famer and still one of the best in the game when it comes to playmaking and possession.

I remember getting Jumbo in the 3rd or 4th round last year, he's still awesome

tofes fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I am praying for a scoring forward to be available by the time it gets to me, these last ten picks were brutal to watch, all awesome young players

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm here but phone posting so I'm trying to cross reference the spreadsheet. Pick coming shortly.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

You were going to take him, weren't you? I figured with you having two picks in a row between mine and then having to wait another 52, if I didn't take him there, I wasn't getting him

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dandy Kaiser posted:

You were going to take him, weren't you? I figured with you having two picks in a row between mine and then having to wait another 52, if I didn't take him there, I wasn't getting him

I wasn't planning on it, but if he'd been available at my turn and I'd thought of him, I honestly might have. But if the guy I want gets past i am the bird, I'll be happy anyway.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to keep a theme going and take Leon Draisaitl

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay.

C - Tyler Toffoli because he's a possession monster and RW - Blake Wheeler because he's a very good 1st line winger that puts up lots of assists.

Wait, what do you mean there's a skater besides the forwards? :confused:

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

The 3rd round is always the hardest because I can never decide if I should take a forward or a defenseman

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Blake wheeler rules

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to take Jake Muzzin

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

i am the bird posted:

I'm going to take Jake Muzzin

Great pick. Was who I wanted next.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

jake muzzin also kicks butt. look at all these good picks

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Might be a bit under the radar but Philadelphia is happy to select Centre and Pennsylvania native (even if it is the wrong side) Vincent Trocheck.

Vincent Trocheck
Position: Centre
Contract: $4,750,000/yr through 2021-22
Although he's somewhat undersized, he's a fantastic two-way centre that's only 22 years old. At a cap hit of only $4.75m for the next six years, he's an absolute bargain too.

Dandy Kaiser's up again.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 9, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wheeler/Toffoli is awesome

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Might be a bit under the radar but Philadelphia is happy to select Centre and Pennyslvania native (even if it is the wrong side) Vincent Trocheck.

Dandy Kaiser's up again.

Oh boo. This is actually a really safe pick.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Intangibles are dropping hard this year, it seems.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Infidel Castro posted:

Might be a bit under the radar but Philadelphia is happy to select Centre and Pennsylvania native (even if it is the wrong side) Vincent Trocheck.

Vincent Trocheck
Position: Centre
Contract: $4,750,000/yr through 2021-22
Although he's somewhat undersized, he's a fantastic two-way centre that's only 22 years old. At a cap hit of only $4.75m for the next six years, he's an absolute bargain too.

Dandy Kaiser's up again.

Well this makes my decision easier

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Wheeler/Toffoli is awesome

I almost did something completely different and assuredly much worse, I'm really glad I kept looking at stats and found toffoli and wheeler.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

I'm looking forward to someone having to pick Dustin Brown to reach the cap floor.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

FBS posted:

The Great Possession Draft of 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Yaya posted:

The Great Possession Draft of 2016

But there are some great possession and counting stat players in their late 20s/early 30s still around (except Jumbo Joe for some reason).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

there's like 20 dudes about as good as draisatl, trochek and toffoli still available. was prob too early to take any of them

they're all better than duchene tho

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 9, 2016

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

the talent deficit posted:

there's like 20 dudes about as good as draisatl, trochek and toffoli still available. was prob too early to take any of them

There's a lot of extremely good players on extremely expensive contracts, and I think that's what is turning people off from drafting them.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, Draisaitl could've gone lower but I liked the dumb symmetry with McDavid and it wasn't too wild of a pick.

My third and fourth lines will have higher cap hits than my first and second, and it will be glorious.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yaya can pick now if he's around

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
2 hours have passed, so I can pick, I guess.

Muzzin getting taking put me in a pickle, so the Edmonton Oilers are gonna round out their top 2 Dmen and take Marc-Edouard Vlasic. Lots of great defensemen have a great #2 alongside them. Shea Weber had Ryan Suter, Doughty has Jake Muzzin. Vlasic is an extremely underrated defender and will work great alongside Karlsson.

I considered going heavily off the board and taking a different defender but I feel Vlasic is an overall more complete player compared to this one.

EDIT: Both JoelJoel and Dandy Kaiser can pick

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Missed my deadline because of work, sorry, but I was going to pick Ryan McDonagh anyway.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I thought we paused on the weekend.

Phone posting so uuuuh, gimme Toews. Best proven C still on the board and he's on the right side of 30.

This choice makes me a win now team.

gently caress defensemen.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

as soon as duchene escapes from the hell that is patrick roy he will prove his #51 overall value to you all

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's already picked try again.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

devin toews

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

do we still have the rule that if you pick a player that's already been chosen you get to repick but the next person up gets to pick immediately? i think that was a good rule

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

do we still have the rule that if you pick a player that's already been chosen you get to repick but the next person up gets to pick immediately? i think that was a good rule

im going with yes. you still made a pick, its just a bad one that we're going to ignore.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Menamino is up then

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What kind of lovely phones do you people use that you can post here but you can't load the sheet to see whose turn it is and search if your player has been picked two rounds ago?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Brad Marchand, I'll post with more effort when I get home

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm dumb. Gimme David Krejci.

tofes is up

Furnaceface
Aye Doc
mentholmoose

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

this is where tofes drafts the player i want & crushes my hopes and dreams in retaliation for me loving up his one pick last year

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

this is where tofes drafts the player i want & crushes my hopes and dreams in retaliation for me loving up his one pick last year

are you talking about alex pietrangelo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

tofes posted:

are you talking about alex pietrangelo?

He's overrated you want a different prime top 15 D on a good contract

• Locked thread