Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

khy posted:

I am too lazy to make my own pizza dough

When I don't feel like making my own dough I buy a ball from my favorite pizza place. It's like $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I've bought dough from Wal Mart a few times and honestly it was pretty good. From the fridge section, next to their take and bake pizzas.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My life changed when I honed in my no knead recipe. It's so incredibly simple and the results you get are phenomenal for the amount of effort required.

This was this past Sunday:

Started off with something simple

Pesto!

Olive oil, salt, rosemary. No sauce, no cheese.

Chipotle sauce, onions, smoked paprika.

Duxelles (no sauce) and cheese.

Breakfast! Asparagus and egg.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:flashfap:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bump, what's the consensus on pizza steel thickness? is half inch worth the premium cost and extra weight hassle over 3/8"?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

bump, what's the consensus on pizza steel thickness? is half inch worth the premium cost and extra weight hassle over 3/8"?

I say this as a biased ⅜" owner, but I can't imagine wanting anything thicker than this. At ⅜", it's heavy. And I can turn out pies in 3 minutes with it with good browning and a little char (or a lot of char if I get distracted for an extra minute or two).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

I can't imagine it making that big of a difference, honestly. For one or two pies in a row, 1/4" thick would probably work just as well.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

One more from tonight. Finally getting some consistency with shaping the dough, and getting that poo poo off the peel without incident.

Hot drat that's a great looking pie.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Been going pretty crazy making pizza twice a week since I got my pizza oven.

Some standouts:

Sauce: Crushed Strianese San Marzano tomatoes
Toppings: Fresh mozz, romano, pesto
Notes: Lazy Margherita. Fresh basil in the garden and at the store were all lovely, so pesto it was. Was good, but too soupy.

Sauce: Doro Wot sauce
Toppings: Sous vide berbere chicken, eggs
Notes: loving awesome. Did a batch of doro wot on Thursday and had a bunch of sauce left. Will 100% do this again.

Sauce: Marinara
Toppings: Meatballs, Mozz, Parm
Notes: Leftover meatballs and sauce. Really good, but so thick and hearty that the crust was really lost. Will probably not do this one again. It basically just felt like "why did I bother making this pizza instead of just eating the meatballs?"

Sauce: Savory chili sweet potato puree
Toppings: Oak grilled ancho marinated chicken thighs, cotija cheese, cilantro, chipotle/lime crema salvadorena
Notes: REALLY loving good. Not much else to say on this one.

Sauce: Saag
Toppings: Paneer cheese
Notes: Leftover saag paneer that I cooked down a little more. Made into a calzone. Pretty awesome. I want a place to sell these on the street downtown when it's cold. So hearty, so warm, and actually really clean to eat, no drips.

Sauce: Caramelized onion balsamic jam
Toppings: Buttermilk blue cheese, arugula, prosciutto
Notes: Very good. Needed something to sweeten a little more against all the salt. Have more stuff, so will try some shaved pears on it today.

Sauce: Chimichurri (3/4 cilantro, 1/4 mint)
Toppings: Shaved sous vide lamb, provologne, more chimichurri
Notes: Definitely the favorite that I have made so far. Spicy, garlicky, sweet, savory, salty, buttery lamb. Just loving awesome. Very proud of this one.

Sauce: Brine
Toppings: Mozzarella
Notes: Boobs

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 10, 2016

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
If you wanna make pizza with fat slices of fresh mozzarella, you'll have to press the mozz slices between paper towels for like 5 minutes to get the water out or else you'll end up with soup.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

If you wanna make pizza with fat slices of fresh mozzarella, you'll have to press the mozz slices between paper towels for like 5 minutes to get the water out or else you'll end up with soup.

I tear chunks, but drain and press, yeah. This was soupy because I oversauced with the tomatoes, and then added olive oil like normal, even though I should have realized that the pesto already had plenty.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Anyone else use a steel plate to make pizza? Im currently discussing prices with a local metal shop to get a 20x16x.5inch plate cut. From my homework sounds like the next logical upgrade to my apartment pizzeria. Even if it does weigh 50 pounds.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yep, a few of of us do. I use a ⅜" one and it stepped up my pizza game more than anything else I've done.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have an 18X18 one and it does hurt oven circulation a bit so be cautious of that.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I have an 18X18 one and it does hurt oven circulation a bit so be cautious of that.

What size oven do you have? Just a normal one? Im thinking about going down to 16x16x.5 for sanity reasons and since its just usually me and my girlfriend. I wasnt sure if 18" deep would fit, gotta go home and measure...

cr0y fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cr0y posted:

What size oven do you have? Just a normal one? Im thinking about going down to 16x16x.5 for sanity reasons and since its just usually me and my girlfriend. I wasnt sure if 18" deep would fit, gotta go home and measure...
I think normal. I did have a small oven in my last apt and the steel was the size of a shelf and was unable to be used :negative:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

I think normal. I did have a small oven in my last apt and the steel was the size of a shelf and was unable to be used :negative:

I just measured and I actually have a 30inch range (external) which I believe is above average (that's what she said). 16x16 will fit and leaves me about 4 inches on each side and about 1.5 front and back which i think should resolve circulation issues (range is gas, burner below and broiler up top). Oven says it can get up to 550, don't have any way to verify. 16x16x.5 is already nearly 40 pounds so that's probably all the bigger I am going to go. I can always armor my car with it if I want to upgrade later.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know I've said it in other threads but as a bonus consider getting it to span long enough to cross two burners. I have it spanning two gas burners and it is the best griddle I've ever had. Will certainly work until I get my dream range

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Worked up a quadruple batch of OP's dough, which I love. Back home for a funeral and it turns out my brother went and bought this because he liked my pizzas so much last time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M...asuL&ref=plSrch

It's a Cuisinart outdoor pizza oven. A guy in the reviews claimed he got his up to 650 or so, but it loses hear pretty easily. Will post results.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Reposting from the main dinner thread.

Made some more pizzas since last week.

Finally made a Margherita that I am truly proud of. Sprung for the actual buffalo mozzarella and it actually does make a huge difference. The texture is softer, , not rubber, but firm, and the tang is amazing.

This is: San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozz, sauteed garlic mushrooms, smoked Bavarian salami. Humble, but really tasty. I actually make this one pretty frequently. One of my favorite combos.

This is: Provlone, olive oil, peppered bacon, 2 duck eggs, lemon/oil arugula salad, parm. loving decadent. Was too excited about this one and forgot to take a full shot. Next time will do parm shavings instead of microplane. Was goddamn amazing though.

Duck eggs will be my go-to egg from now on. Taste awesome, and cook easier due to being a much higher yolk:white ratio. The hardest part of cooking a chicken egg on a pizza is cooking the white without overcooking the yolk. Duck egg was thoughtless, it just came out perfect.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
gyro pie

brisket, pico, crispy tortillas

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I'll take a dozen.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pizza night

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Pizza night

Your username is slightly misplaced... But I like the inviting topping

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I love meatball on pizza.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

kittenmittons posted:

I love meatball on pizza.

this looks so good and I may have to change my dinner plans

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Doom Rooster posted:

Reposting from the main dinner thread.

Made some more pizzas since last week.

Finally made a Margherita that I am truly proud of. Sprung for the actual buffalo mozzarella and it actually does make a huge difference. The texture is softer, , not rubber, but firm, and the tang is amazing.

Pizzas are looking perfectly on point! I would love to see your oven/how you cook them. It's amazing how much better buffalo mozz is for these kinds of pizza. My pizza budget is mostly spent on cheese these days.

Had a party the other weekend, didn't take any photos but a friend snapped one while I was sweating away. Sorry for the low grade camera phone shot -

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks!

I'm actually just using the biggest Pizza Party oven, the Pizzone and I love it. I like how forgiving the space is for moving the pizza around, but I haven't really actually been able to do more than one pie at a time. I open a 9oz ball into a 13 inch skin though, so if I were to shave 2oz off, I could fit two in at a time pretty easily. But 9oz/13in is the perfect size to me, so I am hesitant. Someday I will do a full on traditional oven on a foundation, but with how good the Pizza Party is, the only real benefits are more pizzas at once, and less micromanagement. You need a good solid flame in the Pizzone to get even top down browning, but keeping that level of fire up means the floor is gonna get way too hot, so I cook in waves.

I just got the upgraded Saputo tiles so I can cook hotter, but I've gotten rained out the last two weeks, so haven't even installed them yet. The default floor tiles max out at about 780f, otherwise the bottom burns in my experience. The new tiles have lower thermal conductivity, so should be able to cook in the 900-1000f range without scorching the hell out of the bottom. Faster cook, more traditional crust texture. The current pies are loving great, but actually end up being pretty crispy on the bottom, and the crusts are a little crackly instead of the traditional pillowy soft and chewy. I'll probably just switch out tiles based on what I feel like for the day.

The buffalo mozz is a killer. It is so much better, but so much more expensive. With the portion you see on my pies, it's $3.30 worth of cheese per Margherita. As someone harboring fantasies of opening my own place in the next few years, I have got to find a more reasonable option.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks!

I'm actually just using the biggest Pizza Party oven, the Pizzone and I love it. I like how forgiving the space is for moving the pizza around, but I haven't really actually been able to do more than one pie at a time. I open a 9oz ball into a 13 inch skin though, so if I were to shave 2oz off, I could fit two in at a time pretty easily. But 9oz/13in is the perfect size to me, so I am hesitant. Someday I will do a full on traditional oven on a foundation, but with how good the Pizza Party is, the only real benefits are more pizzas at once, and less micromanagement. You need a good solid flame in the Pizzone to get even top down browning, but keeping that level of fire up means the floor is gonna get way too hot, so I cook in waves.

I just got the upgraded Saputo tiles so I can cook hotter, but I've gotten rained out the last two weeks, so haven't even installed them yet. The default floor tiles max out at about 780f, otherwise the bottom burns in my experience. The new tiles have lower thermal conductivity, so should be able to cook in the 900-1000f range without scorching the hell out of the bottom. Faster cook, more traditional crust texture. The current pies are loving great, but actually end up being pretty crispy on the bottom, and the crusts are a little crackly instead of the traditional pillowy soft and chewy. I'll probably just switch out tiles based on what I feel like for the day.

The buffalo mozz is a killer. It is so much better, but so much more expensive. With the portion you see on my pies, it's $3.30 worth of cheese per Margherita. As someone harboring fantasies of opening my own place in the next few years, I have got to find a more reasonable option.

Let me know how those new tiles work, I'm eyeballing them. They would be a good step up while I wait to upgrade to the Pizzone at some point. I'm portioning my dough at 250g balls, so a hair under where you're at now - I agree it's a great size for making a good pie. I may slice off 10-15g each next time, but 250g is a sweet spot for me and the sourdough I work with.

I feel like you and I have the same process going - I too am looking to morph this into a small business at some point. I've managed to get my cheese cost to about $2.75 a pizza including a few good grates of pecorino romano, which is still absurd considering the rest of the drat thing costs a fraction of that. But I imagine if I scaled up to a point where I was serving 25-50 pies at a private party, I'd dig deeper into sourcing buffalo mozz direct from a dairy in CA or WI or somesuch. Right now I'm holding "test bed" parties (much to the enjoyment of my friends) and I've scaled up and managed to pull off 18 pizzas in a 52x50 Pizza Party oven in an hour, which was a fury of sweat, fire, and flour. It was fun, and if I were able to start rocking 2-3 pies at a time I'd really start flying. All in good time.

Looking forward to seeing more of your pies!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
While we're on the subject of mass pizza production, does anyone have any tips for hosting a pizza party for 9 people, this Wednesday evening?

I've started 3 batches of Jim Lahey's No Knead Pizza Dough but cooking options are:

Ovens:
* Main oven, 550F with broiler/grill - 2 racks (usually have the baking steel on the upper one)
* Breville SmartOven Toaster Oven - single rack - stone/steel wont fit in this

Equipment:
* Baking Steel (modern cuisinist one if you're curious)
* A pizza stone
* 10 and 12in Cast Iron Lodge pans
* EDIT: Cast iron griddle with a flat side
* Various baking trays

I'm thinking that I'll set up a pizza making station (toppings in bowls), make the pizzas on parchment and do steel in the oven and perhaps one of the pans in the toaster oven (using them in the same way I do the steel)?

Throughput might be an issue here...

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 23, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

3 racks, 6 quarter sheets?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mr. Wookums posted:

3 racks, 6 quarter sheets?

I thought about it but honestly, I want to show off the Baking Steel. That's got to have its usual place (top rack of main oven). However, I'm wondering about the pizza stone beneath it, and the 10in Lodge in the Toaster Oven (12 in won't fit with the handle).

I'll see if there's a round 13in stone I can borrow from my mother-in-law-to-be

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maybe if you parcook before the party to shorten times, but I think you'll be hurting for heat retention opening and closing so often with 3 different surfaces. When I do a cast iron pizza, cook at 500-550 depending on toppings for up to 18 minutes or so and I need to oil the pan (no pan preheat), but it's good and may be preferred by some.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

for up to 18 minutes

Good lord. I bake at 550 on a pizza steel and if I go for more than 8 minutes the pizza catches fire. Ask me how I know.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh, that was for the toaster oven.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
When getting a steel custom cut from a steel fabricators, rather than buying one of the consumer ones, would getting it cut so that it slots in to the indents/rungs of the oven be a terrible idea?
I'm thinking it would be nice and neat compared to sitting it on a rack shelf, but I've got concerns about scratching the surface of the oven, and also expansion issues?

Also, is there a standard consensus to cook the pizza with prosciutto/parma style ham on, rather than putting it on after the pizza is cooked?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

MeKeV posted:

When getting a steel custom cut from a steel fabricators, rather than buying one of the consumer ones, would getting it cut so that it slots in to the indents/rungs of the oven be a terrible idea?
I'm thinking it would be nice and neat compared to sitting it on a rack shelf, but I've got concerns about scratching the surface of the oven, and also expansion issues?

Also, is there a standard consensus to cook the pizza with prosciutto/parma style ham on, rather than putting it on after the pizza is cooked?
You want air to be able to get around it because your oven heats from below, I also think it would be more difficult to get in and out. Other downsides are its not portable to use on grills and the like and may not fit future ovens.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

It'll also be pretty heavy.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Doom Rooster posted:

Sauce: Caramelized onion balsamic jam
Toppings: Buttermilk blue cheese, arugula, prosciutto
Notes: Very good. Needed something to sweeten a little more against all the salt. Have more stuff, so will try some shaved pears on it today.

Butternut squash. My parents do a pizza with gruyere, speck ham, and arugula with butternut squash puree for the sauce. The gruyere is just a little less salty than blue, and the sweetness of the squash balances it all out. Cook with everything except the arugula; toss it on right when you pull it out of the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thai style pizza. leftover pork satay, peanut sauce, carrots and cilantro