Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FatSamurai posted:

I liked CTF in tf2 but in Overwatch you have a lot more options for movement and mobility; keeping it balanced and fun would be a nightmare.

You could do what Unreal Tournament did and make movement abilities other than regular running cause you to drop the flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Capture the flag maps would only work if you added a speed reduction/movement ability limitation for the flag runner.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Today I feel like I am the reason my team is losing. Feels good, man.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ctf was the worst in tf2 and I see no reason why that would change here

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I'm the Tracer who grabs the flag, has blink disabled, and immediately dies.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ehud posted:

Or maybe they just don't care and want to play a death match.

This is it. Same with TF2 and any other team shooter with objectives. People want the thrill of death match gameplay but also they want to be on a team. That way, when your team eventually wins/loses, you can gloat about how great you are/blame all your teammates. All the deathmatching action of a Quake III but without feeling bad you were like in third place or whatever because there's a team to blame.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

ctf was the worst in tf2 and I see no reason why that would change here

I've always wondered who was the target audience for 24/7 CTF 1map servers

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

tracer needs side mirrors so i can stop teleing into walls

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I love TF2 CTF. It's very rewarding when your team can push through

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've always wondered who was the target audience for 24/7 CTF 1map servers

People who enjoyed deathmatch and people who enjoyed playing engineer but didn't feel like moving around.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I loving hate overtime on KOTH.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

frankly if you're in your 20s and have been playing shooters since you were a kid, you have probably put in similar hours

the difference is that he's just better at it (also most people don't go and time how much they've spent on video games because that way lies regrets about life choices)

i've been playing online shooters for 10 years and if i've put in much more than 1200 hours i'd be shocked (600 counter strike, 600 tf2). 10,000 hours is nuts

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I wonder what ctf maps would do for this game

CTF has no place in a modern game aiming for a large audience. They copied Payload and Koth because they're as close to idiot-proof as there is for objective-based games. There's one point of contention and everyone gets funneled in toward it just by moving forward.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Double Dom KoTH would be neat and already works 95% with the UI that's there now.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Easy Mac posted:

I loving hate overtime on KOTH.

Just had a match where other team was 99% to our 0%. OT hits and holds for 15ish seconds. Our team apparently has 5 ults up and wipes them. we push to 100% and win. I was kinda upset for them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FranktheBank posted:

Just had a match where other team was 99% to our 0%. OT hits and holds for 15ish seconds. Our team apparently has 5 ults up and wipes them. we push to 100% and win. I was kinda upset for them.
I've been on the losing side of that. Don't feel bad, it was a really fun game to see that kind of swing and trying to counter it. I'd put it as one of the more fun matches, actually.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I feel like death timers should be doubled during Overtime.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So when it says you can leave a match without penalty it means you will be suspended for 30 minutes if you do it too many times. Probably for the best. I've gone from 46 to 40 today.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon In-House just now starting: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Ehud posted:

So when it says you can leave a match without penalty it means you will be suspended for 30 minutes if you do it too many times. Probably for the best. I've gone from 46 to 40 today.

It says you can leave without penalty in 30 seconds. If you leave as soon as the red banner first pops up then you get a penalty, because the person who originally left could just be having connection issues and return soon.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Proposition Joe posted:

It says you can leave without penalty in 30 seconds. If you leave as soon as the red banner first pops up then you get a penalty, because the person who originally left could just be having connection issues and return soon.

hahaha somehow I read that completely wrong.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like CTF and I'm sure others do too, it's not some crazy obtuse gamemode only weirdos enjoy like some of you goons seem to think. Not saying it would work in Overwatch, but CTF maps were good fun in TF2.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
On one hand everyone knows what CTF is as it is a very simple concept on the other hand I just lost a game where I was literally the only person to ever push the payload; I do not trust the average Overwatch player.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I had a good 5v6 match where a torb on my team spent all 5 rounds on ilios failing to set up a turret and running away from the fight, then going back and trying again.

He was rank 58 somehow.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I eagerly await CTF matchmaking where both teams are two lucio and 4 winstons.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Is there anyone in charge of the SA Overwatch Discord? The LFG channel is in serious need of moderation.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Earlier today I was on a team with a very mean player. He was very upset that I played Mei and I was the reason we lost. Afterwards I queue into another comp match and he's on the other team. Froze and killed him 8 times. Felt good.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Your twitch channel would be more interesting if your team picking method wasn't "pick dudes you have already played with a bunch"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Braved solo-queue competitive for 6 matches, went 1-5 lmao. Only lost 1 rank though, so it could have been worse.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This was pretty awesome. They ALMOST got the payload to the end, I mean like probably .10 or something ridiculous like that. Then Mercy swooped in JUST in time for a clutch rez and let me tell you, I was mashing Q so hard. This ended up clearing everyone off the point but an ulting Genji who died from the rest of the team soon after. We ended up team killing them and we won the match. I didn't end up getting play of the game for this, but Mercy did and her rez is what allowed me to get this thing off at all so it I'll accept that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF3vND0xNQE

Also I didn't know they patched the game so that the chat is hidden during highlights, so that's pretty nice. Now if only they patched in being able to actually save the goddamned things so I didn't need to record them separately

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 10, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

CTF could work with the right proper map design. You really need to account for the Genjis and Pharahs and Tracers and others who can basically laugh off any sort of chokepoint or attempt at defense.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Capture the flag might work if Blizzard enforced hero restrictions to go along with it, at which point it becomes questionable why they'd even bother.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
The capture the flag you guys are talking about is a completely broken game mode and it has always been thus. It just took about a decade of it being played for designers to realize this truth, and now you'll never see it again in a high quality FPS. Move along!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Essobie posted:

The capture the flag you guys are talking about is a completely broken game mode and it has always been thus. It just took about a decade of it being played for designers to realize this truth, and now you'll never see it again in a high quality FPS. Move along!

Clearly what OW truly needs though are CTF matches that last for several hours.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
e: wrong thread but also yeah CTF is terrible

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
CTF is bad for the same reason that Tic-Tac-Toe is bad.

Everyone wants to win. Nobody wants to lose. In fact, people hate losing so much that they'd sacrifice the ability to win to protect themselves from being able to lose.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Unreal tournament CTF was amazing

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tribes says hello

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Battleborn 2 will be a fps moba skier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zerilan posted:

Clearly what OW truly needs though are CTF matches that last for several hours.

2fort engineer nest flashback feels. you and an uber medic try to actually assault while everyone sits back sniping or jacking off on their own turret pacing around doing nothing, you finally bust 2 nests in a row before failing to the 3rd loving nest and by the time you get back its all up, or maybe you do succeed and bring it out close to the bridge before dying, frantically telling the team to grab it, except they all sit staring off into space picking their nose wondering what that weird object is oh well got that booger out of their nose schaweet