Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DarkCrawler posted:

Awww. Even Finland has like, one poisonous snake.

I like to think of it as literally one individual snake. His name is Steve.

Also Australia is pretty great, but our leaders are distressingly mediocre. For instance CSIRO invented wifi and the government response has been to slash their fnding while running ads about our innovative agile economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

lol keep on going, i'm sure that if you keep on whining to us uppity unreasonable POC about identity politics, we'll eventually come around to the glorious class revolution instead of concluding that white leftists are shits who shouldn't be trusted anyway :rolleyes:

no really i love all these salty rear end white leftists wringing their hands about identity politics, who've looped around all the other way to embrace white identity

I wonder why the left is in a state of permanent fracture that lets them get curbstomped by the right constantly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

khwarezm posted:

I wonder why the left is in a state of permanent fracture that lets them get curbstomped by the right constantly.

90s third-wayism made the left intellectually bankrupt?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sheep and Wheat

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

icantfindaname posted:

Sheep and Wheat

Where does one find clay, ore, and timber?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

But it's not a very dense city. It's unusual in that the metropolitan area keeps up the density far more compared to the city itself then is typical, which is why its metro is quite dense, but the city isn't. It's quite well known for most of its residences being single family housing on wide-rear end roads.

Not letting every wacko with a death fetish own guns, and having a universal health care system are the primary reason for Australian cities being boosted on there - and the opposite being true in America greatly drags down US city scores. The "urban" planning in Australia is still absolutely awful, and public transport remains rather dreadful for the most part unless you're close in.

For example, 710% of Australians commute to work by private car. The American amount? 76%. And a large part of the reason the Aussie rate is as low as that is simply because the population is even more urbanized, so there isn't a bunch of country population dragging car usage upwards.

Another interesting factor: the Australian city with the highest public transport usage for commuting is Sydney, with just 26% of the region's commuters using public transit. That's well behind many European cities, and of course behind, say New York City where somewhere between 40% and 50% of the workers in the urbanized areas (the closest point of comparison to the values available from Australia) commute by public transit. The result of this is that while the average usage of public transport is a higher than the US average, even their best metro areas perform a lot worse than a lot of major American metro areas. Again to say nothing in comparison to European countries.

tl;dr australia is a sprawled out hellhole smeared across the outside rim of the mini-continent

When I lived in Chermside, 10km from the Brisbane CBD, the fastest public transportation into the city was to take a bus that took 40 minutes at non-peak-hour times.

The bus lines also didn't start until 7am, so whenever I had to start work at 6:30 my husband had to drive me in, then sleep in the car in his office parking lot until 9 because I had no way to get to work!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Australians are some funny cunts

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Squalid posted:

The frequent recitation of all the venomous species found in Australia is a bizarre symptom of just how little most people know about the country. The fact is that the most deadly animals in Australia are horses, cows, and domestic dogs. The emphasis on snakes, spiders, and crocodiles, which manage to kill fewer Australians than loving bees, just goes to show how many people know nothing more than what they've been told by Steve Irwin.
Actually, that just tells us Australians have no sense how to behave around animals, of any kind.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The "Australia is out to kill you" stuff, I think, is usually played up for laughs.

It's just that Australia is also out to kill you by dumping you in a hellhole camp on Papua New Guinea where people constantly try to self-harm and are sexually abused, which is not so funny.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Lord Wexia posted:

Anyone know what's going on with France here?

It's all those poisonous frogs!

actually its probably counting the French dependencies since they're technically still territory of France

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

Australia is the popular stereotype of Americans made real. Including the creationism stuff.

I haven't really heard of this before. Is that true?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

Sheep and Wheat

Weep and Sheat

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not sure about creationism. I think most people would find anyone who said the earth is only 6000 years old when we have proof of Aboriginies living here for 10,000+ years, well, you'd se seen as a weirdo (rightly so)

quote:

In an optional question on the 2011 Census, 61.1% of the Australian population declared some variety of Christianity. Historically the percentage has been far higher and the religious landscape of Australia is changing and diversifying.[1] Also in 2011, 22.3% of Australians stated "no religion" and a further 9.4% chose not to answer the question.[1] The remaining population is a diverse group which includes Buddhists (2.5%), Muslims (2.2%), Hindus(1.3%) and Jews (0.5%).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia
We have another census in August so we'll get updated information within a year. That all includes people who will write down Christian but haven't been to church in 2 decades.

quote:

Australia is one of the least religious nations in the developed world, with religion not described as a central part in many people's lives.[87] This view is prominent among Australia's youth, who were ranked as the least religious worldwide in a 2008 survey conducted by The Christian Science Monitor.[88] In the 2011 census, the ABS categorised 4,796,800 Australians (22.3%) as having "No Religion", up from 3,706,500 (18.7%) in 2006.[1] This category includes agnosticism, atheism, Humanism, rationalism, "No Religion, nfd" (nfd=no further definition) and people who are unaffiliated with any particular religion.

And because it is the maps thread:

People who identify as Christian as a fraction of total persons, in Australia, Australia, according to the 2011 census results. The map is divided into geographical subdivisions by Statistical Local Area. Note the split scale above and below the median value. Based on 2011 census data.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 10, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Phlegmish posted:

I haven't really heard of this before. Is that true?

A whole bunch of the people who started pushing creationism hard in the US starting in the late 70s came out of Australia's own bible belt sort of areas. They went on to found things in the US like the "Answers In Genesis" group (you know, the people who just built that ridiculous "life-size" Ark, who basically came up with "intelligent design" to try to get around the supreme court's banning of teaching creationism in science class, and so on).

The state of Queensland is where most of them seem to be from, and during a hyper-conservative premiership in the 80s they even brought in creationism to the public schools for a short time.

Luckily, most of these people seem to have moved on to the US and Canada, and have never been that successful again.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ray Comfort is an Aussie, isn't he? Or a kiwi?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

fishmech posted:

A whole bunch of the people who started pushing creationism hard in the US starting in the late 70s came out of Australia's own bible belt sort of areas. They went on to found things in the US like the "Answers In Genesis" group (you know, the people who just built that ridiculous "life-size" Ark, who basically came up with "intelligent design" to try to get around the supreme court's banning of teaching creationism in science class, and so on).

The state of Queensland is where most of them seem to be from, and during a hyper-conservative premiership in the 80s they even brought in creationism to the public schools for a short time.

Luckily, most of these people seem to have moved on to the US and Canada, and have never been that successful again.

Well yes, but a bunch of extreme conservatives in America are from Dutch/German descent (lutheran/calvinists), and as someone in the Netherlands it always surprises me to hear about them, because they kept their 17th century conservative beliefs, even refined them, while the Netherlands and Germany have gone through a period of enlightenment and most people here are extremely liberal compared to the USA. The conservatives are fringe groups at best. I wouldn't be surprised if conservatives here are attracted by American conservatism and migrate there more often than others.

I admit, it's been a longer period of time. compared to Australia. I'm just saying that emigrant population is often not a fair sample of a society, especially if there's been a few generations of them growing apart.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The closest I came to meeting a strict weirdo creationist in Australia was a woman asked my husband how people can be sure dinosaurs were real if no one saw them. And it's not like she was a religious nut, I think she was just an idiot.

She also lived very much in the middle of nowhere in the outback.

I think if there ever existed that kind of weirdo fringe group in Australia they're either so small no one has heard of them or they've died out.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well yes, but a bunch of extreme conservatives in America are from Dutch/German descent (lutheran/calvinists), and as someone in the Netherlands it always surprises me to hear about them, because they kept their 17th century conservative beliefs, even refined them, while the Netherlands and Germany have gone through a period of enlightenment and most people here are extremely liberal compared to the USA. The conservatives are fringe groups at best. I wouldn't be surprised if conservatives here are attracted by American conservatism and migrate there more often than others.

I admit, it's been a longer period of time. compared to Australia. I'm just saying that emigrant population is often not a fair sample of a society, especially if there's been a few generations of them growing apart.

The thing is, they were very active home in Australia before they got severe pushback. And it's the same generation of people, they've just moved to the US in large part - though ironically never getting as big results in any American state as they'd managed in Queensland back in Australia. And even as late as 2013 they were trying to sneak stuff back in: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/creationism-in-queensland-schools/4496260 (the way they're doing it as covered in this radio report is explicitly forbidden in US schools under many different court rulings)

Also uh, the Lutherans are generally quite liberal in the US, I'm not sure why you associate the with extreme conservatives? They've got gay married bishops now and everything.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Not all Lutherans are the same, like most religious denominations its split into many different groups, in Britain we have Presbyterians worried about witchcraft and the rise of sodomy while another branch the URC has just endorsed preforming Gay marriage.

The Dutch Reform Church is quite liberal but it appears due to the drops in attendance with female ordination and homosexual tolerance to have lead to another split

This site has very weird ads but it does go into detail about the opposition within the DRC
http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/dutch-reformed-church-christians-beliefs/2015/04/02/id/636090/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Most major Protestant denominations in the US, with the obvious exceptions of Presbyterianism and the various Reformed Churches, do not descend directly from Calvinism. However, Calvinist theology has had a major influence on them, as well as on American mainstream culture in general.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baka-nin posted:

the rise of sodomy
Sounds like a good RPG.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
All these people surprised that two colonies, one built for people with the wrong religion, one for convicts, are weird backward places.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Peanut President posted:

All these people surprised that two colonies, one built for people with the wrong religion, one for convicts, are weird backward places.

Tbh only some of the American colonies, and not even the first one, was built as a religious haven. Maryland was famously established partially to be a haven for Catholics and other odd ducks. Georgia was partially a place for debtors to go and work their sentences off. And Virginia was for making money while loving over native inhabitants. Collectively these explain much about the United States.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

People tend to overstate the influence of Calvinism on American evangelicals for some reason. The New England Puritans were Calvinist-y though strictly speaking not the same thing. But like Baptists and Methodists aren't really at all, and those denominations have very little New England influence. Modern Evangelical conservatism/fundamentalism originated in the 1920s among bigots mad that women and blacks were being treated better in society at large, and anti-abortion in particular wasn't a thing until the 70s, borrowed from the Catholics. It was mostly endogenous to those traditions and didn't have much direct connection to Calvinism or Reformed theology

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Peanut President posted:

But enough about Maryland and Georgia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

People tend to overstate the influence of Calvinism on American evangelicals for some reason. The New England Puritans were Calvinist-y though strictly speaking not the same thing. But like Baptists and Methodists aren't really at all, and those denominations have very little New England influence. Modern Evangelical conservatism/fundamentalism originated in the 1920s among bigots mad that women and blacks were being treated better in society at large, and anti-abortion in particular wasn't a thing until the 70s, borrowed from the Catholics. It was mostly endogenous to those traditions and didn't have much direct connection to Calvinism or Reformed theology

Being Baptist (or Methodist) and being Calvinist are not mutually exclusive, and in fact there was a time around the 18th century when the majority of American Baptist churches were also Calvinist. Most of the English dissenters in general held Reformed views. It's more of an orientation than a strictly delineated denomination of its own. While it's true that most American Protestants nowadays don't adhere to the Five Points (particularly predestination), I think it's fair to say there has been some major influence. Whenever I read about the Dutch Bible Belt, it strikes me just how similar it is to the American one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

What (other) part of the world Australia's climate is most similar to.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
What's with the random city names? "India" is also bizarre, as New Delhi has basically nothing in common with the climate of Newman Australia. The rest is interesting, although now I wonder how accurate, since it doesn't seem to go by Köppen climate classifications so much as by some guy's random estimation.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saladman posted:

What's with the random city names? "India" is also bizarre, as New Delhi has basically nothing in common with the climate of Newman Australia. The rest is interesting, although now I wonder how accurate, since it doesn't seem to go by Köppen climate classifications so much as by some guy's random estimation.

The city names seem to be meant to be other cities from around the world with a similar climate to the matching Aussie city or town.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The climate in Pretoria diverged significantly from the climate in Sydney in about 1994. :geert:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

The climate in Pretoria diverged significantly from the climate in Sydney in about 1994. :geert:

lmao

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

hahahaha

Apparently it is done according to Koppen, but I have zero knowledge of climate beyond what is hot and what is cold so I don't know how accurate the statement or the map is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The size of the islands isn't to scale with the map of Europe but the distances are.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
La France n'est pas un petit pays.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Squalid posted:

The frequent recitation of all the venomous species found in Australia is a bizarre symptom of just how little most people know about the country. The fact is that the most deadly animals in Australia are horses, cows, and domestic dogs. The emphasis on snakes, spiders, and crocodiles, which manage to kill fewer Australians than loving bees, just goes to show how many people know nothing more than what they've been told by Steve Irwin.

I'm not sure that Steve Irwin is the best person to cite for the proposition that Australian wildlife isn't very deadly...

Related politically loaded map. This is out of date - I know that the 4th Circuit panel got vacated, but I imagine there have been other changes as well.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36771205

Eagle tries to carry off boy, Alice Springs. Wasn't some critically misinformed person on this thread trying to say everything on the continent was NOT out to kill people?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Saladman posted:

Eagle tries to carry off boy, Alice Springs. Wasn't some critically misinformed person on this thread trying to say everything on the continent was NOT out to kill people?

fuckin' dinosaurs

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Saladman posted:

Eagles are always absconding with children in Australia, this is well known.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6P5Cu6sRQ

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I swear to god, this year is the year I'm writing that article about how hosed up West Virginia looks in every map ever.