Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Deakul posted:

I just tried the nightly which is 1.0 for about 3 hours...

Guys.

Starbound...

is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gently caress!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Party Plane Jones posted:

pffft, like any of the backer poo poo ever got accomplished. I believe they outright ignored 90% of them.

Actually some of the weapons they showed off in updates looked like ones that were some backers' ideas, specifically that one with the magnet spheres or something, so it looks like maybe they did unless it was a coincidence. Speaking of which, I don't mean to disrespect people who paid for a game I helped make but some of the backers were seriously bad at understanding what was feasible. A lot of them didn't understand that "weapon" meant a gun that shot something, or a sword/axe/etc that swung and/or shot a projectile - so, sorry random weapon tier dude, I can't make you a Kamen Rider suit that also makes your character breakdance because you labeled it as a weapon.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Section Z posted:

For all my disappointments with Starbound's direction, it's never going to be as big a gently caress you or unfinished product as DF-9.

You underestimate the sandbox players who unironically think every extra hurdle added not only is a great idea, but suggest how to make it harder/more obtuse. Sure it likely won't go anywhere near it's early life sales, but it's definitely going to grab more people who were excited for it to hit launch status.

Also, like, the people who haven't been following the game for years, dissecting it's every fault on a games forum the entire time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mokinokaro posted:

It's gonna be Spacebase DF-9 all over again when they slap 1.0 on an obviously incomplete product.
Mods will fix everything

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I've spent $15 on a lot of different early access games, and a lot of them didn't live up to their potential. But I figured eh, whatever, it's fifteen bux, who cares

Starbound is the only one where I wish I could get my fifteen bux back. Too bad I have over a hundred hours in-game (most of which were leaving the launch window open). This is the only early access game where I feel like a loving idiot for giving them money

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Foo Diddley posted:

(most of which were leaving the launch window open)

most of mine are from when the application didn't close properly so it was still running on my task manager in the far, far background

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rhopunzel posted:

Actually some of the weapons they showed off in updates looked like ones that were some backers' ideas, specifically that one with the magnet spheres or something, so it looks like maybe they did unless it was a coincidence. Speaking of which, I don't mean to disrespect people who paid for a game I helped make but some of the backers were seriously bad at understanding what was feasible. A lot of them didn't understand that "weapon" meant a gun that shot something, or a sword/axe/etc that swung and/or shot a projectile - so, sorry random weapon tier dude, I can't make you a Kamen Rider suit that also makes your character breakdance because you labeled it as a weapon.

That totally sounds like something i'd suggest if I were 10 years old, which seems to be the average age of the Starbound fanbase so :shrug:

Maybe when the game comes out, they stop updating it, and mods can unfuck it, the game will be good?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lol if you think there are enough mods who are sufficiently capable of unfucking this game that have any interest left in fixing it to do so

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

Also, like, the people who haven't been following the game for years, dissecting it's every fault on a games forum the entire time.

On that note, do you think the the Launch improvements will enable the Devs to legitimately complete a spike platforming dungeon on camera? Or dispatch all even tier to their gear enemies in one shot?

Because if the gameplay ends up matching the reality of their usual showcases, it would be a lot less frustrating and a lot more fun good cool. Things like having to stop and wind up your hammer swing would be much less of a downer if it really was as "Strong" as claimed to need such a usage hurdle, etc.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 9, 2016

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Three loving years. Not even counting the hype of the years prior to EA release.

As a person who bought it when it was EA first day because I didn't donate earlier, I know that after all this? it wasn't worth it, It wasn't worth it at all. I hope you guys have better luck in another game.

I spent about 100 hours in starbound from then till' today. I'm the rear end in a top hat that says I spent most of that afk, and I played podcasts to keep me awake playing this.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 9, 2016

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

Three loving years. Not even counting the hype of the years prior to EA release.

Development started in June 2011. :)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wow that makes it a closer competitor to star citizen than I thought

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Digirat posted:

Wow that makes it a closer competitor to star citizen than I thought

Yeah except I don't think anyone got a second mortgage and a divorce to pay for what Starbound might promise would happen someday

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah except I don't think anyone got a second mortgage and a divorce to pay for what Starbound might promise would happen someday

Pretty close but one dude spent close to like $3k or something so he could get a statue of his family made ingame and it turned out he'd just gotten married and had a baby and it was money they desperately needed

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Jesus :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If the "release" of starbound makes the funny news dry up, at least we will always have the star citizen thread.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Rhopunzel posted:

Pretty close but one dude spent close to like $3k or something so he could get a statue of his family made ingame and it turned out he'd just gotten married and had a baby and it was money they desperately needed

Things like this make me think that gaming addicting might be real.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

well luckily for chucklefish they shouldn't have as many statues to make for him anymore

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Rhopunzel posted:

Thanks for telling me that. I really loving needed to hear that. I just had too much faith in humanity today

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Foo Diddley posted:

Thanks for telling me that. I really loving needed to hear that. I just had too much faith in humanity today

Starboundcitizen: there's always more and it's always worse.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The most fun I ever had in this game was like 3 years ago when I built a nerdpole to the asteroids and had to make a campfire every 10 blocks to avoid freezing to death in outer space.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rhopunzel posted:

How did you know of this? Did he email you guys, asking for a refund? Was it some sort of blog post?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How did you know of this? Did he email you guys, asking for a refund? Was it some sort of blog post?

I would assume he popped in the old #starbound channel back when it was populated by a bunch of people.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my guess would be water cooler talk :v:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

holy poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhopunzel posted:

money well spent

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was tasked with dealing with all the tier things, so I had to email this list of people being like "yo what do you want done" and make an excel sheet of their obscene demands and feature requests. IIRC that one dude bought both the weapon tier and statue tier and I had to ask whether having 3 people in one statue was okay and when I told him it wasn't he started flipping out and demanding a refund and apparently it was paid through his mother in law's paypal or something further complicating it

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 9, 2016

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

the main thing I took from it is disabled ppl have an obscene amount of disposable income that they'll spend on games

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Rhopunzel posted:

the main thing I took from it is disabled ppl have an obscene amount of disposable income that they'll spend on games

we usually do

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'd call that story sad but I don't care about some idiot who wasted his money on a kickstarter so instead I'll call it hilarious.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

relentlessly owning my own family via early access video games

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Why buy clothes for your baby when they can be warmed by the glow of Starbound from your monitor?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

relentlessly owning my own family via early access video games

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Rhopunzel posted:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

You have my upvote, goodsir

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've played with the 1.0 nightly for a few hours and it's... inoffensive? A lot of stuff is more coherent, it performs better, and there are some good interface improvements. It still feels like I'm doing stuff for no real reason though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I haven't played this game in so long I didn't realize they removed sectors from the game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've played with the 1.0 nightly for a few hours and it's... inoffensive? A lot of stuff is more coherent, it performs better, and there are some good interface improvements. It still feels like I'm doing stuff for no real reason though.

mighty no 9: "better than nothing"
starbound: "it's... inoffensive?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I saw 1.0 is finally "happening".

Does the game still have the stupid gated content through quests and lame boss fights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
So far, yes, a little. You need to beat the first boss in the mining base to get your interstellar drive to work but you don't get any critical crafting drops as far as I can tell. I'll have a better answer soon.

• Locked thread