Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
eclipses are every 216 years, and conveniently enough, they're on an island where they can rip van winkle into the future

on the other hand, it would mean that gut's crew would never meet rickert again, and those guys got up to some badass shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

eclipses are every 216 years, and conveniently enough, they're on an island where they can rip van winkle into the future

on the other hand, it would mean that gut's crew would never meet rickert again, and those guys got up to some badass shenanigans

Yeah, okay, can't have that.

Maybe it's a mega eclipse instead, which has never happened before

Griffith ain't gonna play by your rules

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's every 216 years unless the dark priest Shaft interferes

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You need to get the magic glasses from one of the witches so that when you fight Griffith you can see he's being controlled by the dark priest Shaft.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

As I said before, I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better. I think if Casca is healed, there's going to be some really rough tension especially if she remembers everything post eclipse. Guts technically abandoned her, came close to raping her, and it's been a bumpy ride for lack of better terms. I think if Casca is healed, we have a mini arc about her and Guts working things out. After that there's a lot of different threads. I'd like to think that Guts and co would just continue on in safety. I could see a newly reunited Guts and Casca trying to just stay away and keep far from Griffith and Falconia. Guts fighting all the way across the sea just to abandon Casca to go kill Griffith is a huge contrast to the character we've seen develop since the Guts got Casca back. I can see Griffith aggravating the situation and coming directly after Guts, but I do think there's going to have to be something major for Guts to resume his quest to kill Griffith.

I know there are also implications that the story is setting up for another Eclipse, and I think Guts does still have the behelit from the count. I think the story ending on a second eclipse gone right isn't a bad idea, but I don't see current Guts bringing it about.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is no need for a second eclipse since both Casca and Guts are already outside causality and they can gently caress things up royally for void & co. Which brings me to the thing that interests me the most: the actual objective of the godhand/idea of evil. We do know that they were helped greatly by the weakening of the borders between realities that griffith created but to what end? I don't trust that brain dude one bit, and neither should the other godhand members.

e: also, to me it seems that the eclipse is not the catalyst for the weakening of "fate" but the behelits themselves: once you have activated one you're able to actually make a choice outside causality, and puck's behelit is there for a reason.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 10, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean for Griffith, and possibly also for Slann, Ubik, and Conrad, this IS the endgame. Griffith wanted a kingdom, and he's got THE kingdom. The others have carved out their little slices of paradise. Void I could see having a higher goal but until we get the Gaiseric flashback we'll remain in the dark about that.

The Idea of Evil technically has yet to be formally returned to the canon, but even if it were I doubt it would have a "goal" per se. It begets suffering, that's kind of it. To that end it empowered 5 individuals who would cause untold suffering.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I feel like we're gonna get to see what some of the other God Hand have been up to after they leave Elf Island.

So like some time around 2025.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Ubik and Conrad had goals? Do you know where those were shown or discussed specifically? It might have happened after I took a break from the series for a while, but I don't remember them really having anything except maybe one spreading rats and plague in a city I think?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I was going to mention earlier. What is the motivation for Griffith now? Guts and Griffith have squared off once before and another time by proxy. There is more development needed before I can make any predictions.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Ubik and Conrad had goals? Do you know where those were shown or discussed specifically? It might have happened after I took a break from the series for a while, but I don't remember them really having anything except maybe one spreading rats and plague in a city I think?

No I'm saying we have no real idea what they, Slann, or Void might really want, but that I wouldn't be surprised if they and Slann didn't have the same endgame as Griffith: kick back and enjoy your own personal slice of heaven that's been written into Fantasia. Void is the only one I really think has some kind of grand design beyond this.

I mean for gently caress's sake, the others you all see hanging out and Griffith of course has his self-insert fanfic, Void just gets a full page shot of a brain (which he might have turned into? Maybe there's a vast, mountain ranged sized brain just sitting around somewhere now?)

temple posted:

I was going to mention earlier. What is the motivation for Griffith now? Guts and Griffith have squared off once before and another time by proxy. There is more development needed before I can make any predictions.
I really don't think he has one. It was all about having a kingdom, and now he's had his big self-insert fanfic where he saves humans of all stripes and even the apostles, culminating in him creating a utopia which, by dint of being one of the only safe places on earth now, will draw more and more subjects for him. Game over, Griffith wins, in his own mind.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheManSeries posted:

As I said before, I think it's gonna get worse before it gets better.... I could see a newly reunited Guts and Casca trying to just stay away and keep far from Griffith and Falconia. Guts fighting all the way across the sea just to abandon Casca to go kill Griffith is a huge contrast to the character we've seen develop since the Guts got Casca back.
If Casca recovers her functionality, and memory up to any point at or after the Eclipse, there's every reason to believe that she will be the one wanting to carry out revenge. If we expect to "get Casca back", then the character will either be the momentarily-defeated leader we saw, which led to her hooking up with Guts, or the strong leader we saw for 90% of Golden Age before that, during which time she yelled at Guts (rather constantly), told off Corkus without a thought, etc. After the rescue, she had a mini-development, emotionally, when she decided to stay with Griffith and told Guts, "I love you so you have to go off on your own".

Behi is right there waiting, and the only person in the party who hasn't evolved out of their despair is Casca.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Rodyle posted:

No I'm saying we have no real idea what they, Slann, or Void might really want, but that I wouldn't be surprised if they and Slann didn't have the same endgame as Griffith: kick back and enjoy your own personal slice of heaven that's been written into Fantasia. Void is the only one I really think has some kind of grand design beyond this.

I mean for gently caress's sake, the others you all see hanging out and Griffith of course has his self-insert fanfic, Void just gets a full page shot of a brain (which he might have turned into? Maybe there's a vast, mountain ranged sized brain just sitting around somewhere now?)

I really don't think he has one. It was all about having a kingdom, and now he's had his big self-insert fanfic where he saves humans of all stripes and even the apostles, culminating in him creating a utopia which, by dint of being one of the only safe places on earth now, will draw more and more subjects for him. Game over, Griffith wins, in his own mind.

Slaan is the one most likely in it just for the kicks, although I still think she's be interested in Guts using the blue Behlit or maybe doing something else with her. Although I'll agree that Griffith probably already he thinks he's won and Void will probably have something with Skull Knight. It'd be boring if he didn't have some sort of grander religious vision to seek. Either into the devotion of the idea or to bring about his personal vision of God -- if he likely is that religious leader Gaiseric imprisoned.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Griffith is the good guy.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

If the brand attracts demons, how was Casca safe while Guts was out slaying demons? I am forgetting something?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Slaan is the one most likely in it just for the kicks, although I still think she's be interested in Guts using the blue Behlit or maybe doing something else with her. Although I'll agree that Griffith probably already he thinks he's won and Void will probably have something with Skull Knight. It'd be boring if he didn't have some sort of grander religious vision to seek. Either into the devotion of the idea or to bring about his personal vision of God -- if he likely is that religious leader Gaiseric imprisoned.

whatever Skull Knight and Void's deal is has to have something do with free will versus causality, they're the two who primarily bring up that poo poo

To that end, I really do question how much Griffith really "won" in his meeting with Skull Knight and bringing about Fantasia. The God Hand can manipulate a ton of poo poo and predict things to some degree, but we know from their dialogue with each other and can speculate from certain details in their little Griffith storyline that this isn't absolute. What's more, Skull Knight's sword interests me: when he shows it to Guts, he describes it as a weapon "to entomb them in that chaos," and whatever else you might say about the current situation, the God Hand are no longer untouchable ensconced in the astral world.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

If the brand attracts demons, how was Casca safe while Guts was out slaying demons? I am forgetting something?

the mine Erika, Godo, and Rickert kept her in was an elfhome, which warded off evil spirts

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Rodyle posted:

the mine Erika, Godo, and Rickert kept her in was an elfhome, which warded off evil spirts

Thanks, that was really bugging me.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

temple posted:

The same as before. He's just aiming higher. That's his nature.

My guess is that he's just being used by Void for some unknown reason.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Watched episode 2. The pacing made sense compared to the first one, so that's good. However the action scenes were so light on animation frames that it was a slideshow almost. Speaking of that, the show is being animated like a low-budget cel animation show where only lips move while everyone else strikes a pose. This tends to look horrifically wrong in 3D.

As a final complaint, all of the head nodding without their spines moving is driving me nuts. Humans can't quite do that from the weight shift alone. Oh well.

All of that more or less stopped bothering me for the last 5 minutes until Serpico's reaction and I was sad the episode ended. poo poo was about to get awesome it seemed and I actually just wanted to keep watching. Lowered expectations probably.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

trucutru posted:

The same as before. He's just aiming higher. That's his nature.

My guess is that he's just being used by Void for some unknown reason.

That sounds unlikely, to me... Void is awesome and definitely up to something, but I would be very disappointed if Griffith turns out to be manipulated. Griffith is just not that sort of dude - he's self-determination and ambition personified.

I think we're about to hit an extremely interesting point of development for Griffith as well: he's reached the absolute top. Now what? Several rulers we see are devoured by paranoia and loneliness. Griffith will be forced to look at his grand dream, and see what it got him. We already know that he harbours a strong sense of nostalgia: he revives the Band of the Hawk, and he explicitly invites Rickert to join. He doesn't just want to be the absolute king on a mountain of corpses, he wants his buddies as well, and no-one of his current entourage can fill that void: Zodd obeys the prophecy and believes in strength above all; Locus fully identifies with the prophecy; Grunbeld follows out of personal idea of honor; just look at Rakshas; Sonia is batshit insane; I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a gently caress about Charlotte personally (talk about a tragedy in the making...); everybody else is enraptured by the otherworldly prophecy, which Silat explicitly calls out as a potentially terrible idea.

I'm not expecting MacBeth-esque levels of guilt, but I believe that starting with Rickert's rejection, he'll start to realize that he will NEVER, EVER truly have his dream fulfilled. He sacrificed the Band of the Hawk. Does that make him feel regret (probably not), or the most spectacular hissy-fit of all time, or something else? It might drive him to drastic actions that trigger the finale. Because right now, both Griffith and Guts might be in a position where they could reasonably leave things as they are - if it weren't for Rickert and Silat... (And Casca, who's obviously a wildcard for now.)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well he can always make another sacrifice if he isn't happy with what he has as the offer that was given to the Baron when he was about to die to Guts. Unfortunately for Griffith, all he has left offer is - well - Falconia.

And what I saw of episode 2 seemed a bit better than last time, but the action felt very slugish and I was hoping there was more of those detailed art panels we got with crazy girl whipping herself or guts grinning like a bastard. Nice set up for monsters to start popping up in 3, but a real cock tease playing a bit of Hirasawa song at the end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Unfortunately for Griffith, all he has left offer is - well - Falconia.
I'm sure he'd be devastated.

I don't think we're ever going to get to a point where the animation is good, but sticking closely to the manga and trying to hit the iconic parts is about their best course of action and they're not doing great on either front, even if episode 2 is a big improvement on the first.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

Rodyle posted:

Her and Guts' child was shown to be protecting her as well - that was before it went into the egg, though.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
There was also that one scene where she flipped out and killed a bunch of dudes off screen, showing that she is still capable of defending herself sometimes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Did someone post the updated game trailer with CGI fighting? Because If it plays even remotely like this I'm fine with it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

X, X, Y. X, X, Y. x50
Run to next mob group.
X, X, Y.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Congrats you figured out how Musou games work, well done

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
sonia's pretty cool imo, she's better described as fey and willful

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah Sonia isn't crazy exactly, more like bratty.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Musou games (on the whole) are not bad at all and if you can't enjoy them, I am sorry for you. That said this one better be more like dragon quest warriors/ hyrule warriors than the abominable Kens Rage.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The weakest part of the games (for me) is usually the environment design so I'm hoping it's gonna get mixed up a bit.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muike posted:

The weakest part of the games (for me) is usually the environment design so I'm hoping it's gonna get mixed up a bit.

Grey forests and brown wastelands is all that you will get

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and I thought the animation in DBZ Super was bad...

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i enjoyed the 2nd episode more than the 1st

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Phobophilia posted:

i hope lucca is super cool

I don't think it's possible for them to screw up Lucca, she doesn't even need great animation.

But if she and her posse get cut, then I'll be done with this poo poo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I don't think it's possible for them to screw up Lucca, she doesn't even need great animation.

But if she and her posse get cut, then I'll be done with this poo poo.

God, it's hard to imagine but I guess they could just speed the whole thing up to a crazy extent. Like, Guts and Farnesse arrive at the tower, that night the egg apostle meets the baby, then the ritual of incarnation happens and Guts meets up with Casca again in the aftermath.

They already skipped the whole Lost Children arc, anything is possible!

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

They've already announced VAs for Luka and Nina, so don't worry. They're in the series to some capacity.

I don't know how I'm going to feel about the inevitable nippleless pagan orgies in the uncanny valley.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I started reading Berserk a month or so ago on a whim. Mostly because I finished Dark Souls 3 and was looking for a dark fantasy filler before the DLC came out and I had always heard how much FROM cribbed from Berserk in terms of art design. It's been really neat to spot all the inspiration the Dark Souls games took from the comics, but I didn't expect to get so gripped by the characters and the world.

I'm up to the first few chapters of the Falcon of the Millennium Empire arc and it just keeps getting more and more heartbreaking and enthralling and oh my god I hate Griffith so much. I hope he gets what's coming to him because I have never hated an antagonist like I hate Griffith. I want Guts and Casca to live happily ever after at that blacksmith's house and also for her to stop getting raped so much because it's just getting ridiculous now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah the CG is starting to get to me. The animations are incredibly stiff looking.