Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I remember Craig Foss or somebody making it clear that the government would bend over backwards for them a year or two ago. Uber is bad but traditional taxi cos don't exactly have great workers' rights either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

gently caress HARAMBE posted:

I remember Craig Foss or somebody making it clear that the government would bend over backwards for them a year or two ago. Uber is bad but traditional taxi cos don't exactly have great workers' rights either

Apparently (specifically talking about Wellington here) Uber is way, way better to work for than Combined, if just because you never need to worry about the politics of dispatching.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lobsterpillar posted:

Did I miss the whole Uber employing a whole bunch of illegal (unregistered) taxi drivers in NZ thing? When did that hit the news?
It's literally their business model.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

It's literally their business model.

No they still have to comply with local regulations. It's why they have such mixed success in different countries

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They have mixed success because some countries have local regulations they have to comply with that exist beyond the taxi driver regulations that they explicitly argue they don't need to abide by because of their business model, and if they did have to abide by them then they would no longer be competitively priced because they would just be taxis with an app.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yes, and also because of taxi regulations

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's mostly bogus because of like https://twitter.com/Ahhmandah/status/750412714481115136 the customer experience is far better

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

it's mostly bogus because of like https://twitter.com/Ahhmandah/status/750412714481115136 the customer experience is far better

These do seem like genuine, heartfelt tweets.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
amanda really hates creepy dudes and taxi dudes creep her out I think

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why is she writing like a social media intern?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk? I think she's just laying down a thread about über.. she's a pretty straight up person I doubt she's a shill for über

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's not really a lot of value to hiring social media shills that don't have a reputation for being straight up.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if amanda is a shill for uber, well, idk. that'll change everything.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The problem is that the user experience is far better. From chats to drivers the dispatch system is way better too. I believe that all uber drivers should be registered and have a p endorsement but if uber has a better model it should be allowed to stand on its own feet

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exmachina posted:

The problem is that the user experience is far better. From chats to drivers the dispatch system is way better too. I believe that all uber drivers should be registered and have a p endorsement but if uber has a better model it should be allowed to stand on its own feet

Enjoy your impending silicon serfdom in the gig economy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

Enjoy your impending silicon serfdom in the gig economy.

Is a gender neutral individual not entitled to the sweat of their apps?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

fong posted:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Wellington election btw? There's like a big clusterfuck of left-leaning mayoral candidates, does that mean Nicola Young is going to win it this time?

Everyone will put Celia at three or four and she'll get in on preferences.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I have no idea what Celia's politics are but I had the misfortune of hearing her speak once and she should never be put in any position where anyone has to hear her harpy voice ever again

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not saying you have to like her voice, but "harpy" is a lovely way to describe it :/ It's about one step below "shrill".

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
All right,

Which one of you retards blew 10k on lotto tickets last night?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know a guy who dropped one grand

he said "welp that's what I spend on a day of
drifting"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I know a guy who dropped one grand

he said "welp that's what I spend on a day of
drifting"

You know a property-owning boomer into drifting??

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Its such a weird mindset, 10k is an actual investment to win the lottery.

But the odds are so bad that 10k makes absolutely no difference to your chances. What is the change? 50 billion to one down to 49.9995 billion to one?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

504 posted:

But the odds are so bad that 10k makes absolutely no difference to your chances. What is the change? 50 billion to one down to 49.9995 billion to one?

Bro, somebody has to win it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

504 posted:

One thousand in a billion is a thousand times as much as one in a billion.

Please do not examine how much bigger that is from the perspective of the billion.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ban the lotto imo

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

fong posted:

Ban the lotto imo

I don't see how this would be a bad thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Ban the Lotto and you'll start banning other Recessive taxes, like GST.

So yeah. Ban lotto.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pararoid posted:

I don't see how this would be a bad thing.

The vast majority of the country would realise social mobility is a lie and murder the rich?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Still not seeing the problem here.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's just not a popular policy. It's the sort of thing the Greens could table, possibly, because their support base is educated wealthy people who don't play lotto.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Couldn't we just put lottery profits into education instead of just banning lotto? Like, isn't it better for people to understand that the odds are hopeless and buying tickets is a fool's gamble instead of just taking it away for *reasons*?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Or even limit the number of tickets you can buy (Not that that plan is in any way feasible)

Nothing wrong with the odd $10 combo for a bit of fun, but if you're blowing 10k you need to be autobanned, and tested for OCD.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Look, buddy, if you start educating people then they start voting on things like sustainable action and social interest. And could you possibly imagine a right-wing government desiring this?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It also seems a bit dodgy, although I can't articulate why, that whenever there's a big jackpot the newspapers play it up with article after article, thus increasing sales of tickets increasing the jackpot increasing ticket sales and so on.

Edit: I should add that when I say newspapers I mean "newspapers", and when I say "newspapers" I mean the poo poo they print in NZ that's only fit to light the fire with every evening.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 10, 2016

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Last time I got a newspaper it was wrapped around an over priced and too fatty lump of fish and some potato chips. Just like a true kiwi should.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't win the lotto just FYI

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But once we won 1600 on big wednesday when I was a student and it helped my life. My neighbour won like 16 grand and bought a truck and starting a moving business. If he didn't win that night he'd probably be dead.. or worse I bet

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Imagine if we lived in a country where inequality wasn't at a level where your life can be completely changed by a tenth of a CEO's yearly bonus for reducing the actual productivity of a company in exchange for on paper quarterly profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can imagine, but unfortunately the process towards it involves grotesque, public examples of what happens to people who indulge in immeasurable greed.

Mostly it's just unfortunate because talking about how to change something is illegal on D&D. Pure whining, all day err day, that's us!

• Locked thread