Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The worst thing about No Man's Wharf is the drop rate on the Sea Bow.

Nice looking, favors strength builds, awesome range. So of course you pretty much have to make pirates extinct in Drangleic to get it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mazed posted:

The worst thing about No Man's Wharf is the drop rate on the Sea Bow.

Nice looking, favors strength builds, awesome range. So of course you pretty much have to make pirates extinct in Drangleic to get it. :argh:

Those bastards can drop their bow?!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Kuvo make Geop be Human all the time so we have a better chance of invading laying down summoning signs to help him out.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

What sort of pirates, then? Analogues/inspirations I can think of off the top of my head that aren't just sobering mirrors of reality:
  • The Caribbean and the eastern American coast, of course.
  • China.
  • Southeast Asia, particularly involving the Straits of Malacca.
  • The western Mediterranean. No wait, that involved the slave trade as a central facet.
  • The Aegean and Black Seas, hence the Varangians as shown here in DS2.
  • The Red Sea and the Persian Gulf. The real-world inspiration for pirates-and-eyepatches apparently came from here.
  • Scandinavia, hence the Vikings.

Mainly the first three. I just think that taking the gameplay style of Dark Souls/Bloodborne, and applying a Pirate motif to it (ship to ship combat with boarding parties) would be great.

Also, I wish I had that mace when I first played, it's way better than the weapon I used when I got here (A longsword).

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
The highest rated message I've ever gotten in any of these games was tossing down "Be wary of moneybags therefore try wheel" in front of Gavlan :suicide:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Geop you killed the torch friend
This truly is the biggest unspoken crime here.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
The nice thing about Gavlan is he sells the Best Arrows. So much of the game can be trivialized with a liberal application of those.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Yeah, poison stuff is pretty much this game's easy mode.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PSWII60 posted:

Yeah, poison stuff is pretty much this game's easy mode.

It's kinda unique, the only souls game where poison isn't worthless and here it's even powerful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

This truly is the biggest unspoken crime here.

Wait... does that guy just give you torches? Oh god.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no, oh no I was farming torches from him oh god.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

It's kinda unique, the only souls game where poison isn't worthless and here it's even powerful.
Poison was pretty good in DS1 as well, considering that with some patience you could countersnipe the Anor Londo archers with poison arrows.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

Wait... does that guy just give you torches? Oh god.

It is better/worse. Try experimenting!

Farming torches off him isn't the worst thing in the world though.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The long gangly arm monsters are relatively easy to dispatch with an estoc/rapier/polearm - see how you like being beaten at your own game, you bastards.
I for one was really hoping there'd be a "wheel ahead" or "be wary of wheel" message that would lead to Geop freaking out about bonewheels, and then being pleasantly surprised

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Those bastards can drop their bow?!

Yes, and its the longest range bow in the game, even longer range than the longbow, IIRC.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Ashsaber posted:

Yes, and its the longest range bow in the game, even longer range than the longbow, IIRC.

I know what I'm grinding for next time I'm bored enough.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ashsaber posted:

IIRC damage is less than stellar though, am I misremembering?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

I know what I'm grinding for next time I'm bored enough.

double nine posted:

IIRC damage is less than stellar though, am I misremembering?

Yeah, damage is like regular bow or less, IIRC, and the range is only a few units more than the standard longbow. Like, I think the regular bows have 30 range, longbow 60 and sea bow 65.

I hope this discussion is okay, its something minor that Geop will probably never actually use since he's still not using ranged options outside of knives, and something we've seen the enemies in question use. That it has its quirks is hopefully not too spoilery?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The long-armed dudes remind me of those long-armed skeletons from Tomb of the Giants. Maybe those are the skeletons of these guys?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Unlikely, those had necks.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That dramatic zoom made me happy.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So hey, what exactly is the streaming solution Geop's been using?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Kuvo beat me to quoting that dril tweet, so I be the first whiner correcting miss information. Bleeding, in this game, is the wimpiest poison ever but has a side effect or chopping off about 20% of your max stamina. who gives a poo poo

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
:catstare:

Was that "master shortcut" there in the original version? Because I did not see it, then, so I just used the midway one for everything...!

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Brunom1 posted:

:catstare:

Was that "master shortcut" there in the original version? Because I did not see it, then, so I just used the midway one for everything...!

I don't believe so. Pretty sure it was only added in Scholar, but I think it makes the area a lot more user-friendly.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
No It's always been there, I don't think Scholars changed any geometry just item/enemy placements.

Or not, I guess.

Fabulousvillain fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 12, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In a dozen playthroughs I never realized you could kick that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its like way too long to get a shortcut in that area. The shortcut is right to the end.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Fabulousvillain posted:

No It's always been there, I don't think Scholars changed any geometry just item/enemy placements.

Yeah, no, it's a new addition to the Scholar version, I'm absolutely sure.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
this google doc of all changes between scholars & original ds2 suggests the shortcut is new; I can't remember myself.

e: removed

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 13, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The shortcut is new for Scholar. It also lets you bring Bradley along to the boss fight if you want to.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
I was so certain I remembered it that I fired up the PS3 to check and, sure enough, the bridge is new. The space it occupies was blocked by a giant pile of wreckage in vanilla DS2; you could get *back* to the bonfire from the ship side by dropping off into the water to the right, but it's a one way trip.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There happens to be a second shortcut in the area that was there in the original release, but it didn't cover nearly as much ground. That said, much of the area is a bunch of nooks and crannies off to the sides, so (as noted previously) you can halve your time within it if all you care about is to follow the main path.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
I believe Kuvo should do a Sheildfreid run for the thread

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
I regret nothing!

Also really great episode this time about, the pure relief in Geops voice when he opened that shortcut was kind of humorous.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

There happens to be a second shortcut in the area that was there in the original release, but it didn't cover nearly as much ground. That said, much of the area is a bunch of nooks and crannies off to the sides, so (as noted previously) you can halve your time within it if all you care about is to follow the main path.

The original shortcut was actually more of a longcut, in that going through it was longer and had you fighting more enemies than if you just ran past the dark stalkers with your torch out. One of the reasons it was such a lovely level before Scholar.

Paul.Power posted:

The long-armed dudes remind me of those long-armed skeletons from Tomb of the Giants. Maybe those are the skeletons of these guys?

There's nothing in the tomb of the giants that is even remotely similar to the dark stalkers.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It didn't get addressed on video, but resistance to status effects is different in DS2. In DS1, the size of your bar would change depending on your resistance, which is why you'd see an appropriate status bar deplete whenever you equipped a piece of equipment (generally a ring, for clothes didn't change things as much) that gave you enough additional resistance. In DS2, resistance to a status effect instead linearly scales your rate of buildup. The effect is that pushing resistances in DS2 is more variable, since the effective scaling on resistance-into-buildup-uses is no longer linear but rather at least exponential. (Testing this was a funny experience with swapping off rings and the like.)

Bleed damage in DS2 is mostly marginal. Like in DS1, it deals a chunk of damage when the bar fills, but instead of dealing a percentage of your health it just deals a fixed amount of damage which isn't too high. Dunno why that was changed, but if I were to blame anything I'd probably point to designer opinions on PvP. (Such is the bane of many things, like frost mages in WoW.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This seems like a much smaller game than Dark Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's not. It's fairly bigger in terms of real estate, and much bigger with the DLC. Lots more enemy types, but (as may have been talked to death) many of them tend to be variations of dudes in armor, bosses and regulars alike, rather than gnarly monsters.

Your mileage may vary on how "dense" it feels, though. Speaking for myself, my playthroughs have lasted much longer, but that's mostly due to PvP being a huge and genuinely fun distraction. More co-op too.

• Locked thread