Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm watching the BvS extended cut.

It's WAY better. Heaps more Superman/Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

By this reasoning, it would be interesting to remake cinematic Blade as a centenarian-plus Englishman.
Idris Elba as Dr. Whoblade?

Or go full troll and make Blade a paki middle eastern immigrant Briton to really push that miscegenated between two worlds angle??

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 7, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Now I really, REALLY want a series about a Sikh vampire hunter. :black101:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Now I really, REALLY want a series about a Sikh vampire hunter. :black101:

If you use the "any religiously significant symbol or object hurts vampires" rules, the the saint-soldiers of Sikhism are like easy mode vampire hunting.

Like, the kirpan alone, but also punching right through a dracula's torso because your fists are backed by iron kara.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I used to read these trashy novels about a vampire hunter and a Buddhist monk who fought demons together. It was radical.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Some Googling has revealed there is a character called Deep Singh, SUPER SIKH

No doubt named after Baba Deep Singh, pictured here fighting with his head cut off.

:black101:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just realized, this was the BvS that was R rated? I don't see it, unless its intense violence, but it's still completely bloodless.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

I just realized, this was the BvS that was R rated? I don't see it, unless its intense violence, but it's still completely bloodless.

There was one 'gently caress' and you can sort of see Ben's rear end.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Travis343 posted:

There was one 'gently caress' and you can sort of see Ben's rear end.

One gently caress and a glimpse of a man's rear end is still PG13 territory.

I wonder if it was weird for the MPAA to have a studio totally not request a R rating because they are an independent entity with no hint of collusion with big studios?.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean the movies dark tone probably made it R originally. You can say one gently caress and have a male rear end in a PG13. No problem.

But the poo poo about burning bodies, pushing people into trains, Batman's violent acts, the prison shiving, the constant downer tone, probably landed the film an R rating.

They just took advantage and added more CGI blood to a few scenes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

So Flash fans trending #KeepIrisBlack may have worked. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-flash-kiersey-clemons-female-lead-1201810036/

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Finally bit the bullet and watched Nighthawk v Hyperion: Yawn of Boredom - Ultimate 'Oh God Is This poo poo Ever Going To End' Edition.

Jinkies, if that's the 'good' cut I dread to think what the original release was like, what a load of rubbish. It didn't even look that good (compared to its predecessor), and the score was largely awful too, what the Christ? Still, I rather liked Amy Adams, Jeremy Irons, and Jesse Eisenberg (though gently caress Lex for blowing up Mercy, booooooo), and Wonder Woman was cool when she finally got something to punch. Plus Bruce had a couple of really classy suits, I guess.

But that's about it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
They're both good movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I liked the voice modulated Batman in bvs over the bale voice

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Is she good? She doesn't have the biggest part in Dope and I didn't like that movie much anyway. I haven't seen Neighbors 2.

Sentinel Red posted:

Finally bit the bullet and watched Nighthawk v Hyperion: Yawn of Boredom - Ultimate 'Oh God Is This poo poo Ever Going To End' Edition.

Jinkies, if that's the 'good' cut I dread to think what the original release was like, what a load of rubbish. It didn't even look that good (compared to its predecessor), and the score was largely awful too, what the Christ? Still, I rather liked Amy Adams, Jeremy Irons, and Jesse Eisenberg (though gently caress Lex for blowing up Mercy, booooooo), and Wonder Woman was cool when she finally got something to punch. Plus Bruce had a couple of really classy suits, I guess.

But that's about it.

Well, one thing I'm told is that the extended cut did a lot to give Amy Adams purpose. So if you ended up liking her, thank the special edition. Cause I can tell you right now, the original cut did gently caress all for her. She's superfluous at best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Hyperion vs Nighthawk was such a good comic. Too bad we couldn't get a movie about that instead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That someone, somehow, has convinced themselves that BvS doesn't look "that good" is amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He did say he liked Eisenberg too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what's the consensus on Guardians of the Galaxy. As someone who saw it very recently, I have to say: it is very good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Calaveron posted:

So what's the consensus on Guardians of the Galaxy. As someone who saw it very recently, I have to say: it is very good.

Widely over-rated loved.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

There are some goons here who really hate it but it didn't make 700 million because it was unpopular.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like the movie starts talking about impenetrable poo poo like the Nova Prime and the Infinity Gems and planet Xandar and stuff that should bore you to death buy it somehow loving works and is super fun and doesn't take itself seriously at all

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like it up until Knowhere and then I usually change the channel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I ended up disappointed but that was more because of hype made me thing it was going to be great instead of the competent space adventure it was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I loved it. It's not the deepest movie ever and some parts of it feel rushed, but it's a really fun space adventure, which is super rare in this day and age (obviously Star Wars returning kinda changes that).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Calaveron posted:

It's pretty great. It usually makes most top 3 Marvel lists. It's fun, it's not bogged down by any of the other Avengers, and it managed to get people to care about a team of D listers. A success on all accounts.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I enjoyed how it was the first instance of Thanos talking and the proper introduction of the mcguffins that nine other movies had been building up to and it was still unapologetically a comedy movie that didn't take itself seriously first

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought it completely undercut the idea of Thanos being threatening or competent, since all of he does is sit around while people betray him and take his poo poo. It's in keeping with his portrayal in the rest of the MCU at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think the idea is that Thanos is smart and patient enough to let Ronan's little rebellion play out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Having no idea what guardians was before the movie I really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were surprisingly likable, and the visual effects looked pretty good in imax. The thanos stuff didn't really bother me, although that does remind me I need to look into what the good thanos stories are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anything Starlin wrote, basically.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Calaveron posted:

I enjoyed how it was the first instance of Thanos talking and the proper introduction of the mcguffins that nine other movies had been building up to and it was still unapologetically a comedy movie that didn't take itself seriously first

It has a ton of heart. Gunn's passion for it bled through and all the actors had fun.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked it when it came out, but now that I watch it's I can only think about how it's a movie with space pirates, talking raccoons and trees, ancient dead metropolises, world-destroying jewelry, hundred foot tall alien gods, and thanatic judges bathing in blood, but it's still boils down to a terrorist attack on a Western city.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 10, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Codependent Poster posted:

It has a ton of heart. Gunn's passion for it bled through and all the actors had fun.

Dave Bautista was amazingly good as Drax. Surprised the poo poo out of me.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Guardians is really great and it's the only Marvel movie I own. It would also be a better movie if Thanos wasn't in it, though, sot that Ronan would be a stronger villain. Or I guess if it used Thanos as the villain instead of Ronan.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Dave Bautista was amazingly good as Drax. Surprised the poo poo out of me.

It is my deepest hope that Rock busting out a Rock Bottom in the last F&F will inspire Batista to drop a Skrull with a Batista Bomb in the next one. Or Thanos or whoever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

I think the idea is that Thanos is smart and patient enough to let Ronan's little rebellion play out.

It's like how he gives Loki an Infinity Gem in the staff, he knows he can take it back when he wants.

I watched Ant-Man the other night, and I forget how good it is. Yea, Cross isn't the best villain, but the whole movie around him is fantastic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man should by all rights be a lesser Marvel film, it's just charming as hell and comes together greater than the sum of its parts.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Ant-Man should by all rights be a lesser Marvel film, it's just charming as hell and comes together greater than the sum of its parts.

The Paul Rudd Story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

It's like how he gives Loki an Infinity Gem in the staff, he knows he can take it back when he wants.

I watched Ant-Man the other night, and I forget how good it is. Yea, Cross isn't the best villain, but the whole movie around him is fantastic.

Ant-Man was also very good because it was very limited in its conflict and felt very personal. Michael Douglas was fantastic and holy hell did they deage him incredibly. Normally I'm not a big fan of Rudd but he was very believable as this dude who was down on his luck and pushed into a hard situation but still wanted to do right by his family.
Also I hear there was supposed to be a cameo at the end when he atomized himself. Any truth to that?

• Locked thread