Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

gently caress, same, I just stared at it for about 20 seconds trying to figure it out. What the hell is he talking about, it was a perio. . . oh goddamnit

While on the topic of things we missed the first time through, it wasn't until the quick reread for my post above that I read all the names on the guard's clipboard in strip 782. Besides the four previously named characters, there's Vermillius and Celureaus(?-not certain about the a there), that's the red and blue guys who got eaten by the T-rex, Offpanelo (thanks CM) and Notseenicus, whose duel was entirely offscreen, and Evisceratus, who had he misfortune of running afoul of Belkar and his cat.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Offpanelo, not Offpansio.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Offpanelo, not Offpansio.

...right, that does make a lot more sense. In my defense, that's a weird font and the resolution in that panes is kinda crap.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'M Offpantsio.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nimby posted:

Whelp, this is a joke I only now got.

To be fair it was probably about two months between those strips.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a really clever bit of word play

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Aumanor posted:

there's Vermillius and Celureaus(?-not certain about the a there), that's the red and blue guys who got eaten by the T-rex,

That's vermilion and cerulean, or red and blue.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I wanted to make this very helpful and informative post until I reread what he said there.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

I wanted to make this very helpful and informative post until I reread what he said there.

Obviously, you can read. :cheeky:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I did get that, it's just that the eau string at the end looks kind of weird. How would you even pronounce that? Because the french pronunciation (o) would be kind of out of place given the fake-roman vibe of most of the other names.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

nimby posted:

Whelp, this is a joke I only now got.

Belkar has an obscure feat where his INT/WIS/CHA scores are tripled, but only for insults and threats.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Belkar has an obscure feat where his INT/WIS/CHA scores are tripled, but only for insults and threats.

But three times zero...

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Heatwizard posted:

But three times zero...

Despite V's quip back in Azure City, I have a suspicion that Belkar actually has a positive, albeit low, Charisma modifier. (That or he has a shitton of cross-class ranks in Bluff.)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't even speculate a low Cha modifier necessarily. It's probably the main reason He hasn't been killed by so many who could have.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

greatn posted:

I wouldn't even speculate a low Cha modifier necessarily. It's probably the main reason He hasn't been killed by so many who could have.

That seems more like regular old PC plot armor, you know, the sort of leniency DMs extend to anything short of exceptionally stupid acts like trying to solo the archvillain who has at least ten levels on you.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Carrasco posted:

That seems more like regular old PC plot armor, you know, the sort of leniency DMs extend to anything short of exceptionally stupid acts like trying to solo the archvillain who has at least ten levels on you.

They aren't actually PCs though. There are no players.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rygar201 posted:

They aren't actually PCs though. There are no players.

... they are literally referred to as PCs in the comic.

Also the prequel comic is called "ON THE ORIGIN OF PCs"

And they constantly make jokes that literally hinge on the fact that they are important PCs and nameless NPCs aren't. Like the entire saga with the police force. Or Crystal's whole schtick and backstory.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

W.T. Fits posted:

Despite V's quip back in Azure City, I have a suspicion that Belkar actually has a positive, albeit low, Charisma modifier. (That or he has a shitton of cross-class ranks in Bluff.)

Belkars plenty charismatic. Little fucker has total game, see: Jenny the Bard slash Sorceress slash Rogue

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zore posted:

... they are literally referred to as PCs in the comic.

Also the prequel comic is called "ON THE ORIGIN OF PCs"

And they constantly make jokes that literally hinge on the fact that they are important PCs and nameless NPCs aren't. Like the entire saga with the police force. Or Crystal's whole schtick and backstory.

Right which is all a great joke about how PCs act, but they aren't Player Characters because there are no players.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rygar201 posted:

Right which is all a great joke about how PCs act, but they aren't Player Characters because there are no players.

Only if you're obsessing over the literal definition.

In comic, they are called PCs because they're taking on the narrative and mechanical role PCs do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:gb2gitp:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also the intro to OtOoPCs is literally Redcloak being offended that he's somehow a lesser person just because he doesn't have a player.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wonder how Redcloak is going to end the series. Part of me wants him to not die but he's done some pretty damning things in his efforts to make goblins valued.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
his means justify his ends mostly probably

e: the other way around

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Looking his brother in the eye.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Redcloak is a tragic figure. That doesn't mean that his tragedy will be at the expense of his cause.

He may get everything he wants after his just death.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rygar201 posted:

How can you have read the comic this long and yet still not get core concepts to its story?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I do wonder how the characters identify which characters are PCs, though. Is it just an inherent knowledge or what?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

I do wonder how the characters identify which characters are PCs, though. Is it just an inherent knowledge or what?

it's written on the fourth wall

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Order of the Stick takes place in a world where people are aware of their position as characters in an RPG world and its conceits if it advances either the plot or a gag, and are unaware of the same thing if it advances the same things.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

They're not players.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0606.html

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Order of the Stick does not represent an actual D&D game. However the world follows the rules of D&D games, and those rules require PCs. So the world has designated protagonists even though there's no human player behind them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

Order of the Stick does not represent an actual D&D game. However the world follows the rules of D&D games, and those rules require PCs. So the world has designated protagonists even though there's no human player behind them.

This is the stated approach.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Everyone is the PC is their own story. The trick is knowing where your story lies in the grand scheme of things. A story of greater importance will supersede the lower ones ans turn people into NPCs.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

nimby posted:

Everyone is the PC is their own story. The trick is knowing where your story lies in the grand scheme of things. A story of greater importance will supersede the lower ones ans turn people into NPCs.

Tarquin recognizes this and lives for it :agesilaus:

The number of people arguing with me about something Rich explicitly stated was bizarre. The part few posters have been on point though.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Rygar201 posted:

The number of people arguing with me about something Rich explicitly stated was bizarre. The part few posters have been on point though.

The number of people arguing that they are Player Characters (literally that the characters have players) is zero, so I don't see what's so bizarre about that. It's your conclusion, "They aren't actually PCs," that's the heart of the disagreement. The PC label has been explicit as well. It means something slightly different in the OotS universe, but it's still an accurate description. They've got the same quirks and basic tropes our D&D PCs do. They just live in a world where that's reality rather than one where people sit around a table rolling dice and making up stories about PCs.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

they're actually personal computers

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They are Protagonist Characters. Others are Non-Protagonist Characters.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Wait, the characters aren't Macs?! I want my money back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is (N)PC gone mad!