Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Matt Smith ..... said he'd love to play The Doctor again.

Nick Briggs just sat bolt upright and sniffed the air like a lioness scenting prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
There's plenty of narrative room to extract him from Trenzalore.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Steven Moffat gave an interview in DWM 500 in which he mentioned that when he had ran into Smith recently, Smith had expressed regrets about leaving the show.

I am curious about the BF thing, though. Smith said he'd do it if asked, so I can't help to wonder if the reason it hasn't happened yet is BF wants to do 11 and Amy, but can't get Gillan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Because you couldn't set huge swathes of story when she and Rory weren't around?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, other than 9, all the modern era doctors have loads of time more or less "built in" where they can be companionless, or have a one-off or audio exclusive companion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jivjov posted:

Yeah, other than 9, all the modern era doctors have loads of time more or less "built in" where they can be companionless, or have a one-off or audio exclusive companion.

Even Nine had references to off-screen stories that have to happen sometime.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jivjov posted:

9 has points during Rose where he could be off on his own doing stuff, at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

11 and Handles Adventures please.

Also an option, Kevin, the robot T-Rex.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
If they can't get Karen Gillan, they'll just have no choice but to pair him up with Frazier Hines. :pray:

EDIT - I've seen a lot of licensed products in my time, but nothing will ever match the perfect combination of :rolleyes: and :neckbeard: you get in DWM comics. I hope they never change.

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 10, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Titan comics are all shockingly enjoyable and everyone should give them a look. 9-12 have their own monthlies, Eight has a mini in the can, Four is nearly over and they've informally announced a Third and Six mini for 2017.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Because you couldn't set huge swathes of story when she and Rory weren't around?

You could write a helluva arc where The Doctor and Rory are setting up the poo poo for A Good Man Goes To War. Preferably with Rory dressed as a Roman Centurion for like 8 stories on various planets and times. :getin:

Also Moffat wrote several scenes specifically for Big Finish where it's implied that 11 was off on his own for awhile, allowing you to set years of adventures with new companions in them. The Tales of Trenzalore book alone also only hit the tip of the iceberg of the stories you could tell on that planet over the centuries.

I'm imagining that the fine print on the license agreement is that they want a certain number of years to pass (maybe 5?) between the regeneration and that actor appearing on BF. BF themselves may also want to allow a few years for new 10 adventures to be the Big New Exciting Thing on their own before shooting their wad with a concurrent set of 11 adventures. Once David has a lot of stories in an settles into a groove, you then spice it up with the big announcement that Smith is coming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The current Ten and Eleven comics have new companions, there's always time to insert new stories. Especially with Eleven.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
The really clever bit about Trenzalore, though, is that it doesn't matter how much Matt Smith ages.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They already established he can revisit old faces, he can be number Thirteen and not a single person would complain about it. And despite my issues with the man I would love to see Moffat be the one to bring him back.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

qntm posted:

The really clever bit about Trenzalore,

there is nothing clever about trenzelore

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cerv posted:

there is nothing clever about trenzelore

There was an angel there. And a cyberman. AND DALEKS. AND THEN THE DOCTOR PICKED UP A POWER UP AND GOT INFINITE LIVES AND A SMART BOMB AND WON. So I think you'll find it's very clever.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rhyno posted:

They already established he can revisit old faces, he can be number Thirteen and not a single person would complain about it. And despite my issues with the man I would love to see Moffat be the one to bring him back.

I really do not want Matt Smith to come back in anything but an anniversary special. I was starting to really dislike the 11th Doctor by Series 7, and only since he left I've grown to appreciate him more.

E: also having an actor who already played the Doctor to come back as a regular new incarnation would be really stupid, despite the Curator being cool

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Yeah, I think Matt Smith left too early, because I think that he, personally, still had a lot of places to take the part, but the writers were generally cocking up 11 from A Christmas Carol onwards, and it'd be really weird and contrived to bring him back again.

Big Finish, though - gently caress yes. The only thing I'd want more is Eccleston back, but that'll never happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Barry Foster posted:

Big Finish, though - gently caress yes. The only thing I'd want more is Eccleston back, but that'll never happen.

This was once said of Tom Baker. All things come to he who waits.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Matt Smith was the best Doctor of the modern era, despite the fact that I liked David Tennant's seasons more. Matt Smith got some really bad material to work with, but he usually nailed it.

I still wouldn't want him to come back though. Peter Capaldi is really hitting his stride and bringing back Matt Smith is an insult to him. It basically is saying "We messed up. Matt Smith messed up. Please forget about the last three years."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would be perfectly fin if Capaldi left of his own free will.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i liked all the modern doctors. :-)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

I like all of them. All thirteen!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I like all of them. All thirteen!

i don't. i don't like that one guy. you know which one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Valeyard doesn't count.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

William Hartnell will gently caress you up, man :mad:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

Matt Smith was the best Doctor of the modern era, despite the fact that I liked David Tennant's seasons more. Matt Smith got some really bad material to work with, but he usually nailed it.

I still wouldn't want him to come back though. Peter Capaldi is really hitting his stride and bringing back Matt Smith is an insult to him. It basically is saying "We messed up. Matt Smith messed up. Please forget about the last three years."

Remember when there was the huge outcry on social media for them to bring back Tennant because Smith was so "horrible"? :rolleyes:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Never quite got the goon love for Matt Smith. I don't think his dramatic scenes were quite as good as they're painted here, though he was pretty decent at physical comedies. I mean, I still think he was a fine doctor, but it almost feels like the users on these forums overcompensated to respond to all the people crying to have Tennant back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Season 5 being the peak of the revival helped a lot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Having a Big Finish app has really put my finances in grave peril. I used to be too lazy to buy too many audios because I sync my phone to my PC as little as possible (iTunes on Windows is still lukewarm garbage). Things like War Doctor and 10s return were exceptions that I worked with.

Now with one-touch downloading and perfect playback and position memory....I've bought at least a dozen audios in the last two weeks alone!

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Are there any good Second Doctor Big Finish audios?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Never quite got the goon love for Matt Smith. I don't think his dramatic scenes were quite as good as they're painted here, though he was pretty decent at physical comedies. I mean, I still think he was a fine doctor, but it almost feels like the users on these forums overcompensated to respond to all the people crying to have Tennant back.

As always there were probably a significant number of people here who thought Smith wasn't as good as others - I certainly recall people having a lot of negative things to say, though generally the negative focus tended to be more on Moffat than Smith. But all Doctors have their detractors and their defenders, it was the same for Tennant and Eccleston and McGann et al going all the way back to Troughton (William Hartnell was perfect :colbert:).

The Doctor is, as always, splendid chaps. All of him.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

But all Doctors have their detractors and their defenders, it was the same for Tennant and Eccleston and McGann et al going all the way back to Troughton (William Hartnell was perfect :colbert:).

Absolutely, and it could very well be confirmation bias on my part. I like all the revival doctors anyway, so it's no skin off my nose.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Has anyone listened to BF's adaptation of the NA, All Consuming Fire? I finished it last night and wasn't exactly overwhelmed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Splendid chaps, all of them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Has anyone listened to BF's adaptation of the NA, All Consuming Fire? I finished it last night and wasn't exactly overwhelmed.

I enjoyed it, though it did feel a bit rushed. Was a lot better than Nightshade, I'll tell you that.

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Last year's Early Adventures were all really good, but I'd say The Forsaken was the cream of the crop.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I just picked up the recent Second Doctor box set release. I'll post what I think of it when I finish it!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think it would be cool to have a two-doctor episode where Capaldi meets up with Smith and does the smug "oh man you have no idea what's going to happen to you" with him because he assumes it's his past self, but then at the end he regenerates into Smith and it turns out it was actually his future self the whole time. Making him regenerate into Smith again would he trivial to hand wave away, have him be kidnapped by a rogue time lord for an experiment or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Eccleston is today's guest on NPR's Fresh Air. I caught a bit of it driving home for lunch and he was in full rant about how Britain no longer supports working class actors, and how Brexit was the biggest fuckup imaginable. It was pretty glorious, I definitely want to listen to the whole interview once they post the podcast version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Any of them where Frazer Hines does his Troughton voice. They're all fantastic IMO.

I've been listening to a lot of Jago and Litefoot lately and you guys weren't kidding about how great they are! A lot of fun, and holy poo poo there's literally like 40 more stories?!

jivjov posted:

Big Finish app

Oh I didn't know that existed whelp there goes my money thanks jivjov! :downs:

• Locked thread