Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
doesn't scala also take forever to compile i feel like i read that somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

raminasi posted:

doesn't scala also take forever to compile i feel like i read that somewhere

as far as i know, it still does

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i participated in a scala project once and every once in a while jenkins accuses me of breaking the build because sbt forgot how to sbt

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So what is scalaz? I read the description on github and it says it's a bunch of stuff for function programming in scala, but I thought scala was already a functional language?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

VikingofRock posted:

So what is scalaz? I read the description on github and it says it's a bunch of stuff for function programming in scala, but I thought scala was already a functional language?

scalaz is for when you want to have to figure out what these mean when someone else on your team uses them:

∘, ∘∘, ↦, ↣, ∑, ∃, ∀, ☆, ★, ∋, ∈:, >>=, >~>, |@|

this was not a joke

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VikingofRock posted:

as far as i can tell scalaz is what happened when scala attracted a bunch of that type of haskell programmers who think new operators are totalyly cool and always good and belong in every library

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

jony neuemonic posted:

i've never written scala professionally, it seems like if a team is using it strictly as a nicer java it'd be okay but if they're trying to take advantage of the entire kitchen sink it hands you it'd be horrifying. y/n?

y

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

scala might be good if you're using it as jvm-haskell. scala is probably bad if you're using it as java++

i'm afraid it's the other way around. scala doesn't (really) have functional composition and it's typeclass system is very different (and way more permissive) than haskell's. so much so that whatever compiler intellij uses will often choke (i.e. underline) on valid compiling code because it can't find implicits or the right resolution of the type class constraints

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i've not actually used scalaz, i like the idea of more haskell-y type classes but otoh my boss loathes it with a passion due to the aforementioned operator hell.

to be fair they're moving away from it, but it's too late.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MrMoo posted:

Object arrays as parameters are not very forgivable though.

C++ code:

void draw_polygon(Point points[], int num_points, Point origin, int rotation_angle, int color);

passing collections is perfectly natural

just don't suggest he should be passing iterators around, that's awful and something that people who actually understand OO should have corrected Stepanov and Stroustrup on as soon as they started talking about it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

the talent deficit posted:

scalaz is for when you want to have to figure out what these mean when someone else on your team uses them:

this was not a joke

I was sad when I saw soon after Swift's introduction that someone created a swiftz repository

even now people will see clear and easily understandable code and say "here's a gist where I rewrote that code to be more swifty" that takes a bunch of untangling to understand but is marginally more ~*~ functional ~*~

eschaton fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 10, 2016

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

this was not a joke

i imagine there must be some bitter, furious people who've had to track down bugs caused by someone else using a hollow star where they should have used a filled star

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

this was not a joke

i mean, i'm not particularly opposed to operator overloading, but this is ridiculous. come on guys, show some restraint

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

remember that poo poo I was bitching about yesterday? today I retrofitted it. 23 files in 3 directories, each 1000+ loc with one at 25000 loc. even using kdiffs directory merge feature to merge the current branch into the retro branch (hell no our svn can't do that on its own) it took 6 hours to get everything right because of the differences between versions. for some reason nobody else knows how to do this poo poo.

everyone else who could do this got a different job

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

eschaton posted:

even now people will see clear and easily understandable code and say "here's a gist where I rewrote that code to be more swifty" that takes a bunch of untangling to understand but is marginally more ~*~ functional ~*~

on the other end of this spectrum (and I think horseshoe theory applies) are the asshats adding new answers to every loving stack overflow question with "the correct answer, in swift!" and it's the shittiest swift code that's so obviously just poorly transliterated objc. who the gently caress is that helping

sometimes that answer has more upvotes than the one it's ripping off. idgi

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

eschaton posted:

passing collections is perfectly natural

just don't suggest he should be passing iterators around, that's awful and something that people who actually understand OO should have corrected Stepanov and Stroustrup on as soon as they started talking about it

It should be either a const ref to a container or a const Point* point, unless you are using templates with a fixed length array.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
sbt is bad, use gradle

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't use sbt or gradle, use maven.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMoo posted:

It should be either a const ref to a container or a const Point* point, unless you are using templates with a fixed length array.

or just use a framework's containers that understands shallow vs deep copies

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Shaggar posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sbt means you're using scala which is stupid.
gradle means you don't understand maven because you are stupid.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

programming I am good at, geometry I am not

so I need translate the world around me by the camera transform

the camera starts at (0,0,5) pointing at (0,0,0)

the cube is at (0,0,0) so we transform the cube by (0,0,-5) when drawing it to make it appear we are 5 Z units away from it

but what if we want to rotate the camera, how do we calculate the new point that it's pointing at...

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

redleader posted:

i imagine there must be some bitter, furious people who've had to track down bugs caused by someone else using a hollow star where they should have used a filled star

or ↦ vs ↣

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Luigi Thirty posted:

the cube is at (0,0,0) so we transform the cube by (0,0,-5) when drawing it to make it appear we are 5 Z units away from it

but what if we want to rotate the camera, how do we calculate the new point that it's pointing at...

I don't have a totally clear picture on what you're asking and I apologize if I'm pedantic, but in general to transform 3D points under rotations you use a rotation matrix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix#In_three_dimensions

or is what you're getting at more complicated?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

just do this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_matrix#Examples_in_3D_computer_graphics

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
quaternions lol

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sitting in an intro to go workshop at gophercon

holy poo poo go is a plang++

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

how do you make a typed plang like this wtf

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

sitting in an intro to go workshop at gophercon

holy poo poo go is a plang++

how is this news to you? have you never read this thread before?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shaggar posted:

how is this news to you? have you never read this thread before?

i saw types and thought people were overreacting to some minor thing as per usual for this thread

got drat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
go is bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its not java or c# you are doing it wrong

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shaggar posted:

i usually do it wrong i just hoped go would be my savior

our .net project is probably one of the worst in the world, microsoft used to stress test VS with it (and then gave up when it became too big)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
actually yeah if you give developers a notion like visual studio solutions they're inevitably going to use it to mash hundreds of projects together without regard for which ones have anything to do with each other and which ones are really necessary to load in order to do the thing you're working on. just open up AllMyCompanysShit.sln

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

rotating/translating the camera is the same as moving the geometry in the scene. you've already used rotation/translation matrices, so just apply one.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i rewrote it to not use matrix math because i was just copy/pasting poo poo off the internet that i didn't understand lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

actually yeah if you give developers a notion like visual studio solutions they're inevitably going to use it to mash hundreds of projects together without regard for which ones have anything to do with each other and which ones are really necessary to load in order to do the thing you're working on. just open up AllMyCompanysShit.sln

yeah the VS solution/project layout is dumb. the eclipse workspace one is much better cause it encourages separation of projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
brb importing from half of github in an ad-hoc nonrepeatable manor to maybe build a project

because of a bad design decision that only benefits googlers

• Locked thread