Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's complicated. And they acknowledge that it is complicated.

But it's not that weird, people. Barry is in love with Iris, he was always in love with Iris, he never saw her as a sister. No matter what their living or family situations were, Barry was always in love with her and that's the stated, textual, explicit situation.

Iris did see him as a brother...or, at least, as a good friend...but it's been suggested many times that she might not have seen him that way if he had been more forthcoming about his feelings much sooner.

And at this point, people harping on about him being like her brother is just annoying and misleading because neither of them has seen it that way for at least a season and a half now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry seeing Joe as a father does not mean he sees Iris as a sister.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Barry's been pretty adamant about never seeing Iris as a sister. It'd be different if Iris were actually his sister in any way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barrowman just needs to show up in every show, out of nowhere where he shouldn't have been able to get to, and just say "I USED TO BE RA'S AL GHUL!" and do nothing else.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

Calista Flockhart.

True, but Melissa Benoist is a close runner up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm pretty sure Joe sees Barry as a son in law that he raised and kinda molded.. which is weird it's own way because it's been established that Joe knew Barry was in love with Iris since he was a kid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The whole Barry / Iris thing didn't bother me for how it was written in season one. I don't think it was as good in season two. I felt it was a bit confused there. Barry doesn't really do that much pining over Iris for most of it, she's sort of expressing interest in him, but it felt like it was all in fits and starts.

Remember when Iris was going out with her new editor who was anti-Flash? Both of those things sure did end up being whole lot of nothing, didn't they?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Barrowman just needs to show up in every show, out of nowhere where he shouldn't have been able to get to, and just say "I USED TO BE RA'S AL GHUL!" and do nothing else.

Like a sad drunk, hunched over a bar, slurring his words "I used to be Ra's Al Ghul, man. Back when that meant something!"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The whole Barry / Iris thing didn't bother me for how it was written in season one. I don't think it was as good in season two. I felt it was a bit confused there. Barry doesn't really do that much pining over Iris for most of it, she's sort of expressing interest in him, but it felt like it was all in fits and starts.

Remember when Iris was going out with her new editor who was anti-Flash? Both of those things sure did end up being whole lot of nothing, didn't they?

They really need to let Iris grow more into E2 Iris, just a journalist instead of a cop. She should be investigating metahumans and poo poo being all cool and gorgeous and confident.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Barry and Iris are terrible because they have no chemistry.

Koalas March posted:

They really need to let Iris grow more into E2 Iris, just a journalist instead of a cop. She should be investigating metahumans and poo poo being all cool and gorgeous and confident.

E2 Iris having to take a job as a cop to carry Barry's slackass was hilarious.

All her metahuman murder investigations would lead to the same result: Barry murdered the gently caress out of them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Why are you so hung up on incest, dude? Lots of shows have actual incest, and this is metaphorical incest at best. What's the big loving deal?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Gaz-L posted:

Here's the thing, I know Silver Banshee looks like that in the comics, but I always thought it was supposed to be her actual skin, like magic or something, but nope, Supergirl decided she just slathered greasepaint on herself and wore a cruddy Halloween costume, like a lazy cosplayer.

Peep the show's Red Tornado, and then realize that the Supergirl costume designer should probably be let go. I don't know how that poo poo was greenlit. (Really it was the weird chest piece that made it look HORRIBLE. )

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Klungar posted:

Why are you so hung up on incest, dude? Lots of shows have actual incest, and this is metaphorical incest at best. What's the big loving deal?

I dont get the chemistry thing either.

Fun fact: Teens, The only cw demographic that matters, nominated Barry and Iris for a Teen choice awards for both best Chemistry and Liplock for the second year in a row. http://www.moviefone.com/2016/05/24/teen-choice-awards-2016-nominees/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Koalas March posted:

I dont get the chemistry thing either.

Fun fact: Teens, The only cw demographic that matters, nominated Barry and Iris for a Teen choice awards for both best Chemistry and Liplock for the second year in a row. http://www.moviefone.com/2016/05/24/teen-choice-awards-2016-nominees/

:roboluv:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Sure. Her arc in season one would've been improved, I think, if she'd been using her skills as a journalist to deduce the Flash's identity, and Barry ends up having to use all these speed tricks to try and keep her guessing; you know, like Superman and Lois in the Silver Age? I think that would have been better than her being strung along a bit for most of the season then finding out by accident.

Then, in season two, she could've been investigating Jay Garrick or trying to find Zoom's true identity or something? I feel like it would've been if she'd been the one who realised that "Jay" didn't have an Earth-1 counterpart, but there was this guy called Hunter Zolomon... In any event, I think it could have been more compelling than the West family drama was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the oddest thing about Iris' season 2 arc is they introduced that new EiC at her paper and it looked like he was going to be her new love interest and then they just kind of dropped it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this? posted:

Probably the oddest thing about Iris' season 2 arc is they introduced that new EiC at her paper and it looked like he was going to be her new love interest and then they just kind of dropped it.

I was okay with that. It was an odd choice, but I appreciate the show runners not dicking around. Literally everyone knows where it's going, why bother pretending? And sure, they ruined that by doing Flashpoint and promising another season of jerking around, but at the time I was okay with it. I think we can all agree that nobody wants 5 seasons of Will They, Won't They with Iris and Barry.

Or who knows, maybe Patti will come back and we'll get swerved like I did in Arrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The CW doesn't actually care about teens. Teens don't have money.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

As I recall, he was also meant to be this J. Jonah Jameson type who would turn the newspaper into an anti-Flash scandal sheet (I can't remember if the reason why he disliked the Flash were explained or not) but then Iris convinces him not to at the end of his first episode. But then I think he goes back to being anti-Flash again in between appearances?

In any event, the trailer for the back half of the season made it seem like a much bigger thing than it actually ended up being. I presume it was supposed to tie into Barry telling Kara how he lost the trust of his city and had to earn it back during the crossover episode, because I don't really remember that happening in the Flash series (I guess you could say Zoom beating him up and parading him about town might count, but it didn't come off that way to me).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I was okay with that. It was an odd choice, but I appreciate the show runners not dicking around. Literally everyone knows where it's going, why bother pretending? And sure, they ruined that by doing Flashpoint and promising another season of jerking around, but at the time I was okay with it. I think we can all agree that nobody wants 5 seasons of Will They, Won't They with Iris and Barry.

Or who knows, maybe Patti will come back and we'll get swerved like I did in Arrow.

Patty isn't coming back. She's on a new show and fans were tweeting the writers calling her Police Brutality Patty and poo poo. The fandom hated her, which is why they wrote out Iris's boss. And shoehorned in Iris having feeling for Barry in the last half of 2B.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Iris had feelings for Barry in S1 though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

Patty isn't coming back. She's on a new show and fans were tweeting the writers calling her Police Brutality Patty and poo poo. The fandom hated her, which is why they wrote out Iris's boss. And shoehorned in Iris having feeling for Barry in the last half of 2B.

Hahaha I forgot about the boss at the newspaper. Man that sure went nowhere.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Iris had feelings for Barry in S1 though.

Yeah, I guess ignored then suddenly remembered? I don't remember a lot of s2, I skipped a lot of stuff. It really seemed like they might have done something with Barry and Iris and throw away the terrible will they won't thing every other show does.. then it went nowhere. Patty came and left, I
EiC came and left, it was weird. I like not murderer always pining s1 Barry over what we got in s2.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, I guess ignored then suddenly remembered? I don't remember a lot of s2, I skipped a lot of stuff. It really seemed like they might have done something with Barry and Iris and throw away the terrible will they won't thing every other show does.. then it went nowhere. Patty came and left, I
EiC came and left, it was weird. I like not murderer always pining s1 Barry over what we got in s2.

I'd say more denied than ignored considering she was about to be engaged to Eddie. Once he died that left her conflicted. Now she had no reason to deny her feelings for Barry since she couldn't hurt Eddie anymore, but she didn't want to disrespect his memory either. Once he was dead for a while and Barry did the Hell of a Messenger schtick, I think she was meant to be shown as having gotten over it. So then they could be together and there's no other love interests at play and then FLASHPOINT and now who knows.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the most interesting thing about the John Barrowman/Wentworth Miller stuff is that there's now the concept of the "franchise regular", a television term I've never seen used or applied to anything before. There's been crossovers and stuff, but the idea of an actor not being tied to a single specific series but, instead, playing the same character across multiple series set in the same universe on a regular basis is a really fascinating one.

I hope it's applied to a better series of series (like, saying the Netflix Marvel stuff), but I'm pretty interested what the idea of a "franchise regular" could mean, creatively speaking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I think the most interesting thing about the John Barrowman/Wentworth Miller stuff is that there's now the concept of the "franchise regular", a television term I've never seen used or applied to anything before. There's been crossovers and stuff, but the idea of an actor not being tied to a single specific series but, instead, playing the same character across multiple series set in the same universe on a regular basis is a really fascinating one.

I hope it's applied to a better series of series (like, saying the Netflix Marvel stuff), but I'm pretty interested what the idea of a "franchise regular" could mean, creatively speaking.

Netflix is sort of doing this with side characters like Jessica's lawyer friend played by Carrie Anne Moss.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rosario Dawson does have a similar deal with Netflix for the Marvel stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Rosario Dawson does have a similar deal with Netflix for the Marvel stuff.

D'oh. Can't believe I forgot about her. I believe Alfre Woodard is going to be in Luke Cage after popping up in Civil War.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

D'oh. Can't believe I forgot about her. I believe Alfre Woodard is going to be in Luke Cage after popping up in Civil War.

Was it confirmed that she would be playing a different character or was that a rumor? If true, it kind of speaks to the weird division between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Was it confirmed that she would be playing a different character or was that a rumor? If true, it kind of speaks to the weird division between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios.

I don't think anything has been confirmed other than Charlie Cox confirming that their contracts included possible inclusion in the film side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Yes, she's playing Black Mariah in Luke Cage.

She was cast there first, but the movie side didn't care and cast her anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

I guess there haven't really been very many television franchises which are also interconnected universes before. Sure, you have the various police / lawyer / medical procedurals (Law & Order, CSI, NCIS, the more recent Chicago franchise), Star Trek, Stargate and Buffy, but all of those only ever had characters from one series guest-starring in one of the others.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess there haven't really been very many television franchises which are also interconnected universes before. Sure, you have the various police / lawyer / medical procedurals (Law & Order, CSI, NCIS, the more recent Chicago franchise), Star Trek, Stargate and Buffy, but all of those only ever had characters from one series guest-starring in one of the others.

Word did seven years of TNG and then what, 4 on DS9?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but I'm not sure if it's the same situation - Worf was transplanted to DS9 after TNG had ended, like Spike became a regular on Angel after Buffy ended, or how Sam was a regular on Atlantis after SG-1 ended.

Maybe it does count. I'm not sure.

The sort of situation I imagine "franchise regular" applying to would be if TNG had ended up running for, I don't know, 15 years or so while DS9 and Voyager started as normal, then between 1996 and 1999 they all did a big Dominion War crossover where Picard or Riker or Sisko is promoted to admiral and makes appearances in all three series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I guess so. The lovely Chicago FDPPDY shows are supposed to have some long term rotating cast members this year with long term crossovers happening.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when SyFy tried to start up a shared universe between its original shows? It was going to be Warehouse 13, A Town Called Eureka and (I think) Alphas. All cancelled now. Alphas has a really frustrating cliffhanger but it's still one of my favourite "superhero" live-action shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when SyFy tried to start up a shared universe between its original shows? It was going to be Warehouse 13, A Town Called Eureka and (I think) Alphas. All cancelled now. Alphas has a really frustrating cliffhanger but it's still one of my favourite "superhero" live-action shows.

Did they ever actually cross over to Alphas?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe one character from Eureka made a guest appearance in one episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe one character from Eureka made a guest appearance in one episode.

I know annoying-genius-tech-girl from W13 made it over to Eureka but I didn't recall anything on Alphas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps my memory is mistaken.

In any event, I feel like franchise fever is the biggest immediate legacy of the MCU and will probably continue to be in the long-term. Everyone wants to have a franchise now. DCEU's obvious, but I remember that Dracula movie with Luke Evans being explicitly designed and presented as the launchpad for a new franchise to feature the Universal movie monsters, and I've recently heard that the next King Kong film they're making is going to be part of a shared universe with the Gareth Edwards Godzilla movie. Even the Star Wars Anthology movies are a likely product of the trend. So I suppose it's inevitable that it would spread to television as well.

I'm surprised nobody's tried to reboot the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen yet. Imagine if they decided to retcon the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movies into a shared universe with Count Dracula and Captain Nemo and so on.