Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/131863-f1-rosberg-adamant-radio-calls-didn-t-break-rule

Nico Rosberg believes the radio instructions he received from the Mercedes Formula 1 pitwall to get around gearbox problems during the British Grand Prix were within the regulations.

The German, who finished second at Silverstone, is under investigation for radio traffic from his team that instructed him to avoid using seventh gear to prevent a gearbox failure. But Rosberg believes the nature of the problem means he should not face punishment over rules that state the driver must drive the car "alone and unaided."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

frankenbeans posted:

Rosberg has left the stewards shed. Hopefully, we'll find out how this race finished soon.

Merc brass was called in after Nico left.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Riso posted:

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/131863-f1-rosberg-adamant-radio-calls-didn-t-break-rule

Nico Rosberg believes the radio instructions he received from the Mercedes Formula 1 pitwall to get around gearbox problems during the British Grand Prix were within the regulations.

The German, who finished second at Silverstone, is under investigation for radio traffic from his team that instructed him to avoid using seventh gear to prevent a gearbox failure. But Rosberg believes the nature of the problem means he should not face punishment over rules that state the driver must drive the car "alone and unaided."

How does he feel about not being told about his brakes last week?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

As it turns out F1 viewers are dumb idiots with AIDS. Scrap the radio ban and also brutally shame anyone obsessed with stick shifters.

I don't deserve this.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Stick shifters ftw

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Rosbergs problem just gives further evidence as to why the radio ban is crap. Even my dad who hates the guy thought it was bullshit that he's under investigation for that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love the radio ban because it's a perfect example of the kind of dumb rear end rule the people on Reddit or the Autosport boards would come up with if they ran F1.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Falken posted:

Rosbergs problem just gives further evidence as to why the radio ban is crap. Even my dad who hates the guy thought it was bullshit that he's under investigation for that.

But what does your mom think?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

2018 rules as per Reddit:

- Stick shifters only with clutch pedals
- Less protection to the drivers sides, elbows must be visible at all times
- Open face helmets with goggles, no tearoffs allowed
- Steering wheels must be 40cm across and made of mahogany
- Positive camber with no less of +10deg from TDC
- Aero elements of all kinds are prohibited
- Racing harnesses prohibited
- Tyre walls must be replaced with hay bails
- Zero electronic aids
- No Safety car or VSC
- A guy with a flag replaces the lights

Did I miss anything?

Unrelated, but did some cheeky marshal rub goose fat into the surface at copse?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

But what does your mom think?
"Boring."

Just seems to be all the rage in this thread to post what their dads think about Nico and Lewis. :v: I found myself at theirs this afternoon to watch it and remembered why I prefer watching it on my own.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
My dads a mclaren fan. He shuts the gently caress up about the f1 right now.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

never change BBC F1 team

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
In 1976 they were only allowed to have five people working on a car during a pit stop.

Bring that rule back imo.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
its official

lewis shoots

and nico catches

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

hondaaaaaaaaaaaa

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

10 second penalty for Rosberg apparently,.

https://twitter.com/GrandPrixTimes/status/752190468012838912

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sham sport.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

If they'd broken that rule with Hamilton in baku for example, he'd have easily gained back that 10 seconds. over the course of the race.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
whelp ignore the ban for 10 seconds boys

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Yeah its a slightly farcical how little the penalty is. 20 seconds would have been more apt as there are not many times where flouting the ban will give you that much time back.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Well that's a hell of a precedent isn't it. The. Again barging into your teammate didn't effect his race at all last week so...

gently caress the rules.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
except for it's dropped him down to third.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dubs posted:

whelp ignore the ban for 10 seconds boys

Yup Merc blatantly had decided to gently caress the rules before they rolled up. Not a beat in between things going wrong and saying something they knew was disallowed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

thegasman2000 posted:

Well that's a hell of a precedent isn't it. The. Again barging into your teammate didn't effect his race at all last week so...

gently caress the rules.

The penalty should be less harsh than intentionally trying to take out a competitor. But then the 10 second penalty for that was way too lenient.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So, uh, I'm watching the NASCAR Pinty's series right now and it's actually pretty entertaining.

I hope Rosberg wins the WDC in the end.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Why the hell is that a penalty? F1 communications rules are insane, it's one thing to babysit the driver throughout the race it's another to help them when their car is falling apart.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

NtotheTC posted:

You could watch the tennis but superior Brits are winning that too :smug:

You mean Scot.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Gmaz posted:

Why the hell is that a penalty? F1 communications rules are insane

Welcome to the pinnacle of Motorsport.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

So, uh, I'm watching the NASCAR Pinty's series right now and it's actually pretty entertaining.

I hope Rosberg wins the WDC in the end.

Canadian NASCAR is badass.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This sport is a sham and I am melting down.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

mrfart posted:

You mean Scot.

He's only Scottish when he's losing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

When did Ham start Tebowing?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ever since he realized he was #blessed

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

10 second penalty for Rosberg and he's dumped to 3rd

A good day

e: ooh only 1 point behind now

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 10, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

10 second penalty for Rosberg and he's dumped to 3rd

A good day

e: ooh only 1 point behind now

So did Rosberg give his 2nd place trophy to Lauda to smuggle to Argentina in anticipation of the ruling?

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I think ROS knew this was coming as Mercedes has been sabotaging him since HAM took him out in Spain!

e: I'm bad at this conspiracy theory thing, forgive me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Who would have though that Nico Rosbergs last 5 lap panicking down the radio would have backfired on him and resulted in him coming third instead of second? Not me. I'm shocked.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
His engineer probably hosed up, not Nico. Or his pit thought by not telling him about shifting through it he would DNF. But they answered his question so fast that the guy on the radio probably instinctively said 'Affirm' instead of the usual stupid 'I can't tell you' that you obviously should shift through the gear that doesn't work.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I think he had to follow some instructions to get the car to actually get out of 7th gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I briefly watched some of the C4 coverage earlier on, why the gently caress did no one tell me they've got Webber? That's enough to outweigh the Eddie Jordan factor.

Another dull Hamilton run to the finish line. So, a lot of you keep going on about watching old seasons, I'm going to guess I'm going to have to go on IRC to find out where you lot are watching them from but it might be time to dip my toes into the 80s - I only started watching in 94.

gently caress I could do with re-visiting some of those seasons I did watch too.

...and one final random question, there was a race where it started raining towards the end and Barrichello of all people had made some miraculous tyre choice the lap before it started raining and was lapping 5-6 seconds faster than everyone. It's bugging the poo poo out of me that I can't remember what race it was, I'm sure he was at Honda or Williams at the time. Anyone? :(

• Locked thread