Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm, I am finding this combat in Pillars of Eternity so overwhelming and difficult to follow. Is there some primer or tutorial or FAQ - any tips you guys can offer maybe to help me understand? The world is great, characters seem cool so far, but I am a little over 10 hours in and I still for the most part have no idea what is happening in combat, what the status of my enemies is, or anything. It's completely daunting in relation to the Infinity Engine combat which I am very familiar and comfortable with.

In short: I have no idea what's going on here and it's ruining my interest in this game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you find the infinity engine easy and the POE engine hard? Uhhh, for 99% of people it's the opposite. Are you pausing very frequently? What classes are in your party?

e: there's a PoE thread that's still active that might be of more help to you

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have GOG keys for both Spelunky and the Van Helsing - Final Cut compilation if anyone fancies them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

JustJeff88 posted:

I have GOG keys for both Spelunky and the Van Helsing - Final Cut compilation if anyone fancies them.

If you're just going to toss them, I'd be interested in Van Helsing :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So X-Wing is really hard and if I die (or get captured?) once during a campaign I have to start it from the beginning again. Goodness.

edit: oh, you just press a button to bring your dude back to life. Sure

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 10, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

X-Wing is an outdated rogue squadron full of weird decisions and mechanics it never explains

also bacta is magic heal juice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm thinking about skipping to TIE Fighter but I dunno

and he was captured :(

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Part of enjoying certain GOG titles is you have to imagine you spent $50 on it and it's the only game you haven't played to death already. So just start over and have fun playing it some more cos you ain't getting any more games till your birthday.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Part of enjoying certain GOG titles is you have to imagine you spent $50 on it and it's the only game you haven't played to death already. So just start over and have fun playing it some more cos you ain't getting any more games till your birthday.

I dunno, my mom's work computer has a 40mb hard drive and I have all these old cover-mounted demo 1.44mb stiffy disks and this kid down across the road got this new 'Privateer' or something wing commander game so I'm gonna go use this PC Backup utility and copy it over here and give it a whirl.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BadAstronaut posted:

I dunno, my mom's work computer has a 40mb hard drive and I have all these old cover-mounted demo 1.44mb stiffy disks and this kid down across the road got this new 'Privateer' or something wing commander game so I'm gonna go use this PC Backup utility and copy it over here and give it a whirl.

I deleted everything from my parents hard drive to fit Strike Commander on it. EVERYTHING.

Worth it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I really wish GOG would add Star Wars Episode 1 Racer.

Edit: also the Episode 1 third person shooter/rpg

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 11, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I'm still waiting for the handful of outstanding Sierra adventures to drop. Conquests of the loving Longbow already!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

I really wish GOG would add Star Wars Episode 1 Racer.

Edit: also the Episode 1 third person shooter/rpg
Don't know what's taking so long there. Shadows of the Empire dropped out of nowhere, and that one probably had the most wrong with it when it comes to getting it working on modern systems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I still wonder about Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, myself. The adventure game, of course, not the film. Don't expect that on GOG.

I would thin it some kind of weird film licensing nonsense except for the fact that it's been on Steam for years.

Wouldn't mind seeing Maniac Mansion either even though it's available free in about a hundred other places and technically is included with Day of the Tentacle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

you find the infinity engine easy and the POE engine hard? Uhhh, for 99% of people it's the opposite. Are you pausing very frequently? What classes are in your party?

He's talking about the UI, not the gameplay itself.

Also, Ur-Quan Masters existing didn't stop GOG from releasing Star Control 2, so I feel like Maniac Mansion is probably in the cards (assuming Double Fine doesn't own it).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He's talking about the UI, not the gameplay itself.

Also, Ur-Quan Masters existing didn't stop GOG from releasing Star Control 2, so I feel like Maniac Mansion is probably in the cards (assuming Double Fine doesn't own it).

Maniac Mansion is still in Day of the Tentacle and they even advertise it as a feature. It's probably an issue of there not being any money in licensing a game that's already included in another game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

man X-Men has some stupid-rear end missions. The last one in Tour of Duty 1 where you sit at 1.5km sniping mines for five minutes, then slowly disable a freighter, then wait five-six minutes and have a thirty-second dogfight with two shuttles and two transports (???) that appear out of nowhere and either kill you or your freighter instantly or do nothing whatsoever

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You get Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle - Remastered, where it functions kike it should. ScummVM has never really gotten it to work within regular DOTT.

Last Crusade is alright though I've never gotten the stupid fighting down. The ScummVM people need to mod in a sucker punch option like FOA has.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

Maniac Mansion is still in Day of the Tentacle and they even advertise it as a feature. It's probably an issue of there not being any money in licensing a game that's already included in another game.

Again, they released a game that is literally freeware. I don't think they really care that much. :v:

Casimir Radon posted:

You get Maniac Mansion in Day of the Tentacle - Remastered, where it functions like it should. ScummVM has never really gotten it to work within regular DOTT.

So, yeah, Double Fine owns it. Fair enough. Also, I fixed your very unfortunate typo there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, yeah, Double Fine owns it. Fair enough. Also, I fixed your very unfortunate typo there.
Disney owns all the rights to the LucasArts games. Double Fine has just been the ones doing the work in remastering them.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Accordion Man posted:

Disney owns all the rights to the LucasArts games. Double Fine has just been the ones doing the work in remastering them.

I thought the whole deal with GF and DotT Remastered was that Double Fine bought the rights to the IPs and code from Disney. :confused:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nah, Disney realized there was too much money in licensing. It's a big part of why they closed off internal development. At this point Schafer basically has the freedom to do whatever he wants with LucasArts properties but Disney licenses them out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It'd be cool if they went and got an MI3 special edition out in time for its 20th anniversary next year. All they'd really have to do would be to work on the artwork a bit since it got hit so hard by compression.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

It'd be cool if they went and got an MI3 special edition out in time for its 20th anniversary next year. All they'd really have to do would be to work on the artwork a bit since it got hit so hard by compression.
I think that's the last one they really need to do anyway after Full Throttle, because that's the last one that hasn't been rereleased in any way. (i.e. Loom, The Dig, and Fate of Atlantis have been available to buy for years. Also nobody gives a poo poo about Escape from Monkey Island.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

man X-Men has some stupid-rear end missions. The last one in Tour of Duty 1 where you sit at 1.5km sniping mines for five minutes, then slowly disable a freighter, then wait five-six minutes and have a thirty-second dogfight with two shuttles and two transports (???) that appear out of nowhere and either kill you or your freighter instantly or do nothing whatsoever

Okay the first mission of tour 2 is even more ridiculous. gently caress this game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Accordion Man posted:

I think that's the last one they really need to do anyway after Full Throttle, because that's the last one that hasn't been rereleased in any way. (i.e. Loom, The Dig, and Fate of Atlantis have been available to buy for years. Also nobody gives a poo poo about Escape from Monkey Island.)

The special edition for Escape is a youtube video of Tim Schaefer rubbing a magnet against a stack of harddrives marked "Escape from Monkey Island Source Code"

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The special edition for Escape is a youtube video of Tim Schaefer rubbing a magnet against a stack of harddrives marked "Escape from Monkey Island Source Code"

Good. gently caress Monkey Kombat

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, he's stated one of the least likely things he's ever stated: he doesn't actually hate the third and fourth games with the bitter fury of a quintillion scowling suns. Maybe only one or two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BiggerJ posted:

Actually, he's stated one of the least likely things he's ever stated: he doesn't actually hate the third and fourth games with the bitter fury of a quintillion scowling suns. Maybe only one or two.

I actually meant it more as a treat for the fans than anything personal in his part :v:. I'd forgotten about that opinion.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
:siren: SimCity 3000 is on GOG!! :siren:

I've been waiting for this for years. This is the only place to get it digitally, but It'll probably turn up on Steam a bit later I imagine. Especially useful since Windows 10 decided to disable some stuff required for the disc version to be installed without hassle.

There's also Dragon Age: Origins and Dead Space but who gives a poo poo about them.

Edit: Just bought it and checked, it also includes the building architect program and scenario editor, works fine on windows 10

bad boyfriend worse lay fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 14, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wow, didn't expect this.

Dragon Age: Origins, Dead Space and SimCity 3000 on GOG

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
EDIT: Beaten by two other people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Gonna buy me some Sim City.

3000 was the one with a fairly active modding scene, right?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

Gonna buy me some Sim City.

3000 was the one with a fairly active modding scene, right?

No, it's Simcity 4 that has the huge modding scene. 3000 is supposed to be good though.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Here's a link to get widescreen working for SimCity 3000, 1920x1080 worked for me but the page mentions some resolutions don't work. Or just do this if you can't be bothered clicking the link:
code:
Open SC3.EXE or SC3U.exe with a hex editor
Search for the byte sequence: 8b 4c 24 04 8b 44 24 08 53
Search for the byte sequence: 8b 4c 24 04 8b 54 24 08 81 f9
Overwrite the first four bytes each time with c2 08 00 90
And here's a screenshot:

bad boyfriend worse lay fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 14, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
DA:O DRM free is sort of out of left field, but I'll take it.

SC3k not so much (the out of left field part, I have to buy that ASAP).

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
How does Sim City 3000 compare to Sim City 4?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SC3K! I don't know why, but I couldn't get into SC4, and SC2K drives me nuts in a low-res DOS window. Hello happy medium!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lucinice posted:

How does Sim City 3000 compare to Sim City 4?

I'm interested in this as well. I've played SC3, filled a map, but that was a good while ago. From what I remember, it's closer to SC2000. Better graphics but none of the more fancy simulations like traffic in SC4 (from the expansion), no regions, etc. But perhaps the maps are bigger than in SC4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
SC3K is a prettier 2k with landfills and a couple other incremental improvements. They were originally working on a huge 3D Sim City sequel, but that ended up falling through. While I love SC4 and would definitely say it's the best in the series, 3K is my favorite because it's the one I played when I was a little kid.

Now that they're getting more EA stuff, its time for them to post SimGolf.