Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Rukawa posted:

I'm likely going to be in Bethesda, MD for the next few weeks. Any suggestions for a good LGS, that's close to the metro? Want to play the prerelease next week.

Labyrinth in DC is good but has limited space and is normally booked waaaaaaaay early.

My brother likes Curio Cavern in VA. There's a place in Rockville too but I don't recall the name - they're super popular but not my speed personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Gerard fabiano is taking a rage break during the middle of his feature match against miracles.

(It might be bathroom break, but its been long enough to get people talking)

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Walked posted:

Labyrinth in DC is good but has limited space and is normally booked waaaaaaaay early.

My brother likes Curio Cavern in VA. There's a place in Rockville too but I don't recall the name - they're super popular but not my speed personally

I'll try to check out Curio Cavern. Dream Wizards (the place I'm assuming you are referring to in Rockville) has horrendous Yelp reviews. Thank you for the suggestions!

(I'm pretty sure I had this same convo like three years ago, with someone. Maybe you! heh)

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Rukawa posted:

I'll try to check out Curio Cavern. Dream Wizards (the place I'm assuming you are referring to in Rockville) has horrendous Yelp reviews. Thank you for the suggestions!

(I'm pretty sure I had this same convo like three years ago, with someone. Maybe you! heh)

DW is a great store with an awesome Inventory and the most cliqueish and rude players/staff. I love it but I am 33 and started at the old store behind the ramada inn when I was 11-12. It's crazy competitive there and not very friendly but I think 50% of it is the local habit of not having time/Patience for anything but I can see how others might find it abrasive.

I always say something when ppl slam on DW because the owner is the coolest lady who is very chill and whose husband passed away years ago so I never feel bad helping the store out by buying into events or just cleaning up pack trash and stacking chairs at the end of the night. DW was the first card store in our area and so I always feel obligated to pitch in because they gave me my first nerd space to hang in and keep me out of my parents crazy houses which was p clutch for a little weird dude back in the day.

But yeah, not a lot of fun for strangers.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rukawa posted:

If you're in MD it's going to be a hike to Curio most likely?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rukawa posted:

There were ~30 LGSs in the Baltimore/DC corridor last I checked. If all the others burnt down, I still wouldn't go to Dream Wizards.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Are there no SDCC walker promos this year?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Toshimo posted:

There were ~30 LGSs in the Baltimore/DC corridor last I checked. If all the others burnt down, I still wouldn't go to Dream Wizards.

Nothing in the world would ever motivate me to go back to Dream Wizards, that place is awful

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

bagrada posted:

Are there no SDCC walker promos this year?

No core set with 5 walkers to riff on. They'd have to get creative about what they would choose for them.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
These SCG commentators are really bad

"Why didn't he cast Shardless Agent last turn?"
"I don't know, I guess he's holding it for Liliana?"

The guy has Bayou, Wasteland, and a Swamp as his lands...

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 10, 2016

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah I think there's a strong case to be made that these two knobs are the worst commentary pair they've got. Boswell in particular states the blindingly obvious so frequently I'm starting to wonder if he took lessons from Wolf Blitzer.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Hunt's voice is grating but at least he appears intelligent, unlike these guys, whose BDM-esque commentary make them look like either idiots or people who haven't played the format before

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

GeneX posted:

Hunt's voice is grating but at least he appears intelligent, unlike these guys, whose BDM-esque commentary make them look like either idiots or people who haven't played the formatmagic before

I get more of that feeling.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hope calling basic lands things like "basic Plains" is a style thing by SCG. If not, just call it a Plains, people.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It sure is weird that all magic commentary sucks and all coverage sucks. Well, maybe eventually they'll get really good coverage by using guys who write magic articles and don't actually know how to do any of that stuff.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rabidsquid posted:

It sure is weird that all magic commentary sucks and all coverage sucks. Well, maybe eventually they'll get really good coverage by using guys who write magic articles and don't actually know how to do any of that stuff.

Most of SCG's commentators are fine. Some of them are actually good. When the have a good color-commentator like LSV or Sullivan it's genuinely enjoyable.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 10, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Not too long ago, SCG used to have Cedric Phillips, Patrick Chapin, and Patrick Sullivan on commentary, the former two of which are an amazing coverage duo. LSV is also good, and Gaby Spartz is very promising, especially alongside LSV.
It's definitely slim pickings, but it's not like EVERYTHING sucks. Just most of it, and the suckiest parts are more visible (Rich Hagon and co.).

And yeah the current SCG team is a pretty big downgrade over the aforementioned trio.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lol Spartz is the worst and is only there as a sop to diversity and nepotism. "Who do you think benefits more from their sideboard in this matchup?" - Gaby Spartz, after game one of every single match ever.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol Spartz is the worst and is only there as a sop to diversity and nepotism. "Who do you think benefits more from their sideboard in this matchup?" - Gaby Spartz, after game one of every single match ever.

That's her goddamn role in commentary, same as Marshall's, you dumb motherfucker.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You do not insult our future wife. Period.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

That's her goddamn role in commentary, same as Marshall's, you dumb motherfucker.

Ok try this: find for us even a single archived match where she does a good job, even if we limit her role to asking stupid questions to prompt on-stream conversation.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Counterbalance needs to eat a ban for the sake of all coverage.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
/\/\/\ true fact

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok try this: find for us even a single archived match where she does a good job, even if we limit her role to asking stupid questions to prompt on-stream conversation.

You seem to have very strong feelings about this, for some reason

I wonder why

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"Prove your opinion to me"

Seriously dude. Also I'm laughing at "nepotism". Or that diversity is not something of value.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Nepotism is a serious problem when it comes to internet commentary. I was only given this account because my uncle works at a shitpost factory.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lol Spartz is the worst. "Who do you think benefits more from their sideboard in this matchup?" - Gaby Spartz, after game one of every single match ever.

Can keep track of the match, is clear behind the camera, knows how to let the more knowledgeable/technical commentator do their job, and passes over to them for that kind of question... Sounds like a pretty decent play-by-play commentator to me.

She's not perfect, that's why I said "promising", for all I know she could just stagnate as "LSV takes a sip of water and we need to fill those 5 seconds", ut I'd take her over Rich Hagon and Randy Buehler any day of the week.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Nepotism is a serious problem when it comes to internet commentary. I was only given this account because my uncle works at a shitpost factory.

It's ok man, you've since proven that you can stand on your own shitposting merits

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In the MTG coverage community, where literally everyone but Gaby Spartz is good, I have to ask, how deep does the nepotism hole go? Wotc has otherwise never employed a bad caster, and it stands to reason that,

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wait are you the guy thats friends with MTGs own Hunter S. Thompson endorsed gonzo journalist

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rabidsquid posted:

nepotism hole

Is this a euphemism, or.....

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yes its a play on rabbit hole not some kind of gross loving insinuation

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

rabidsquid posted:

yes its a play on rabbit hole not some kind of gross loving insinuation

I was only kidding :smith:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Wait are you the guy thats friends with MTGs own Hunter S. Thompson endorsed gonzo journalist

I would like to know more about this

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

stinkles1112 posted:

I was only kidding :smith:

It's ok, i just wanted to get ahead of that because in retrospect that does sound like it could be a really gross euphemism.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

rip Ajani Vengeant.

too slow, can't kill two things

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Being a decent / good pro player doesn't mean that you can provide coverage worthy commentary. Keep in mind that Phillips, Sullivan, and Chapin all have been doing coverage for a while and if you watch older coverage videos they aren't nearly as on point. With Phillips / Krempels and Hunt / Overturf I feel like they have well defined commentary roles and do well. Van Meter and Boswell don't really have much chemistry together and they kind of seem like they would have the same roles commentary wise.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would like to know more about this

Some goon had plugged a friend of his who had gone to a tournament while high (I think it was on shrooms). It wasn't good.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gaby Spartz is no worse than many magic commentators and better than some, but Marshall and LSV are the best and I long for the day that I can hear a Legacy GP narrated by Caleb Durward's goofy Kermit the Frog voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Caleb Durward is a very good streamer and i always enjoy his youtube videos, he seems like he might be a fun caster altho I don't know who you'd pair him with.

• Locked thread