Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Bookworm Maine should just skip the apprenticeship thing and open a hair salon, her life would be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I've been really enjoying Undefeated God of War lately, largely because the protagonist is generally good-natured, an utterly shameless braggart and a huge idiot instead of the usual calculating murder-hobo types.

At one point he gets banished to a hellish guard outpost where the sect sends all of its criminals and exiles, and instead of sulking or swearing revenge he cheerfully fails to notice what's going on and proceeds to thoroughly enjoy (and benefit from) his stay in what he thinks is a 'tough training camp'.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
I caught up with Volume 5 of ISSTH and I think it might be the best one so far.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mygna posted:

I've been really enjoying Undefeated God of War lately, largely because the protagonist is generally good-natured, an utterly shameless braggart and a huge idiot instead of the usual calculating murder-hobo types.

I think he might actually just be an alternate universe Meng Hao

quote:

Tang Tian who had just finished tying Yang Yong up, was not in the least bit interested in the battle that was going to unfold. With greedy eyes looking at Yang Yong, who was beautifully tied up on the floor, he quickly began using both of his hands to grope about on Yang Yong’s body.

There is nothing as exciting as plundering battle spoils!

Just so there's no confusion, despite the odd choice of using words like "beautifully" and "grope", he's actually robbing another dude that he sucker-punched and tied up. :v:

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
In ISSTH when Meng Hao's mom and dad are talking, have there been previous references to any of those topics before? The 7th year tribulation, the south gate, etc?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So I've been checking out some of the novel recommendations NovelUpdates is giving me, and I stumbled across Boku wa Isekai de Fuyo Mahou to Shoukan Mahou wo Tenbin ni Kakeru which I'm just going to refer to as "All orcs must die" because goddamn that title.

It's not fantastic. It's a bit formulaic. The harem-building is as obnoxious as it ever is in every loving story it's shoehorned into, and the fact that all the middle-school boys died but coincidentally dozens and dozens of middle-school girls survived and they're all enamored with the protagonist... :shudder:

Despite the cons, though, the one place I feel it really, really triumphs is the villain. Not the big bad, the story hasn't even really given us a hint as to what's really setting all these events in motion, the motherfucker who gleefully fucks over the protagonist. Although I may not have quite the same breadth of readth as some of you other guys, I can safely say that the scene in the final chapter of Volume 2, where The villain shows up while the protagonist is incapacitated, says something to the main love interest, (we don't know what) they hug, and then walk off together holding hands gave me loving chills. Like, I actually had to step away from the computer for a second and go "ohh gently caress", it was great! One of the most powerful things I've read in the past few months, it perfectly encapsulated that feeling of "This man is a true motherfucker." I am so goddamned pumped for the protagonist to finally murder this piece of poo poo, it's incredible that a story with so many flaws and a subpar translation has me this emotionally invested.

Edit: It also does something nice which is a bit of a plus, in that the protag has two main skills he strengthens by killing things. The protagonist is also damaged as gently caress and has a really hard time trusting people, so the story mimics his emotional state by how he strengthens the two skills. When he's kind of retreating into himself, he pumps Summoning magic for self-sufficiency, and when he's opening up and trusting other people he boosts his Support magic. It's a nice little way of subtly mirroring how he's feeling inside without just writing out "He felt sad! :sadfan:"

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 3, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i ditched that one as soon as the main girl told the protagonist to use his penis to heal someone's ptsd. i'm surprised i got even that far.

undefeated god of war is fun, but there sure is a lot of stuff that just never gets explained.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Serious Frolicking posted:

i ditched that one as soon as the main girl told the protagonist to use his penis to heal someone's ptsd. i'm surprised i got even that far.

Man, I was almost about to quit there too, but thank god he doesn't actually do it. It gets revealed later on that the commander-in-chief woman back at the base told her to say that, which is why main girl looked so uncomfortable when she thought he was about to do it. He backs off considerably, and tries for a more 'friends' approach towards the other women in his party.

Don't get me wrong, there is some egregious poo poo, and some serious problems (As there always are when an author decides to shoehorn a harem plot into his works. :suicide:) but it never quite goes full "Re: Monster" and has the main character solving everyone's problems by raping them until they love him. I'm hoping against hope that it never goes full bullshit, and makes me quit reading halfway through like so many other series with promise have. :ohdear:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figured i knew what my wife is a beautiful ceo was about from the title, so i never bothered to read the description. romance novels aren't really my thing, chinese or otherwise.

but uh... the second half of that description is kind of out there and it is almost as though it is about a different story altogether.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-wife-is-a-beautiful-ceo/

then there are the tags. you really wouldn't think that something that includes "my wife" in the title would have the polygamy tag. this is weird enough that i have to try it now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I read the first 15 or so chapters of that from the first translator and it didn't seem too terrible at least as far as these stories go. I think around the time where the first translator dropped the series, it was starting to get into the weirder and potentially terrible parts--I stopped reading around then because the translations stopped and never bothered to pick it back up because I had enough other things to read

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It's "Xianxia in Modern City genre" with Greek gods as super-powered aliens thrown in. The only variation I really dug in this story was that there's actual hostile business takeovers (though rarely literally hostile takeovers). Everything else was full of the standard genre tropes: "respectable" crime gangs, magical pills and plants, cultivation BS, omg op assassin, etc. Its only saving grace is that it's actually complete, and finishes with "babies ever after." Otherwise, it's the same old Chinese WN tripe with double the tropes and few if any high points.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hello, Fellow Daoists. It looks like this is the only thread on SA where people are talking about ISSTH, but Book 1 was good poo poo.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Nice emulation of a meme

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Everyone says the first book is slow and boring, and I guess thats true a little bit, but I appreciate it giving me a chance to understand the conventions of xianxia with the slow startup.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so in disciple, i'm kind of unclear as to why generations of ancient immortals all rush into a place that seemingly no one has ever returned from

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Because that's how Xianxia rolls. You have to strive for the peak; if you aren't, you're a dirty filthy casual that deserves to be slaughtered by someone who's stronger than you. Just remember that Disciple is a parody of the Xianxia genre, and it'll all end in tears (of laughter (except when it doesn't)). Goddammit, now I'm thinking of the first bug arc's ending.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Someone in this thread posted that cultivators are basically highly-excitable small dogs and at no point have I ever seen compelling evidence that says otherwise.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Someone in this thread posted that cultivators are basically highly-excitable small dogs and at no point have I ever seen compelling evidence that says otherwise.

"Who wants more Chi and power levels? You do yes you do! Good boy that's a good, good boy!"

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

The Lord of Hats posted:

So would an actual small dog become nightmarishly powerful if it practiced cultivation, by virtue of being some sort of double cultivator or even cultivator squared?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would become more powerful, but only in dog terms. so, cuter + a better pet.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Likewise a bird would become more annoyingly noisy and to some cute and majestic.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Annointed posted:

Likewise a bird would become more annoyingly noisy and to some cute and majestic.

I'm not sure this accounts for Lord Fifth.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Sandman posted:

I'm not sure this accounts for Lord Fifth.

Ducks

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Serious Frolicking posted:

it would become more powerful, but only in dog terms. so, cuter + a better pet.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Can anyone tell me what numbers are important in Confucian and Daoist teachings? I know 9 and 108 are and both have shown up in ISSTH so far.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
72, 36, 8, and 3 are all important numbers. Cubes, squares, products of cubes and squares, especially those of 2 and 3, are important. There are Sun Wukong's 72 Heavenly Transformations, and Zu Bajie's 36 Earthly Transformations, as an example. 81 is also rather important, and the doors of important locations (like the Emperor's palace) would have 81 brass knobs on them ( you know, the metal things on the doors). Less important buildings gets less knobs. The number 9 and 8 are especially popular, and having a series of these numbers as your license plate is A BIG DEAL in China. This is because these two numbers are homophones (or close to it) to the words "eternal (jiǔ)" and "[become] wealthy (fā)".

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Most common important numbers are 9 and 108

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Hello, Fellow Daoists. It looks like this is the only thread on SA where people are talking about ISSTH, but Book 1 was good poo poo.

welcome to the land of shenanigans and dumb bullshit, we hope you enjoy your stay

(issth rules)

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Yinlock posted:

welcome to the land of shenanigans and dumb bullshit, we hope you enjoy your stay

(issth rules)

I gotta say, that's a fine looking perverted parrot drawing. I'm super glad it exists.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

DeafAsianQT posted:

Most common important numbers are 9 and 108

That's why 81 is also so important, you'll often see it written as "9 by 9, 81".

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

As in, he's like a duck that cultivates, or that you're currently ducking to avoid him?

This is an important question, the future of my lower GI tract might be at stake.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
This latest issth arc is really getting too long/not funny/bad hope he can finish turning everyone into bloodmist milkshakes soon.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, what cycle of reincarnation beatdown/powerup is Meng Hao on in this arc? We haven't gotten any funny in a while, and the wedding scene didn't do much for me since it seemed like an excuse to have everyone grouped up to fight the Northern Reaches cultivators.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I would guess that while we've probably got a little ways to go, we're fairly close to our conclusion of the arc. He's probably going to use his 3rd severing to get out of the cage, and from there it'll just be a case of beating the crap out of the North on a power trip, a bit of denouement with his parents popping up, and then he's off to the East.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!
My Disciple Died Yet Again is really good even if you haven't inflicted yourself with a bunch of terrible xianxia novels first.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Lord of Hats posted:

I would guess that while we've probably got a little ways to go, we're fairly close to our conclusion of the arc. He's probably going to use his 3rd severing to get out of the cage, and from there it'll just be a case of beating the crap out of the North on a power trip, a bit of denouement with his parents popping up, and then he's off to the East.

This is my exact thought as well.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I'll have to second the recommendation for My Disciple. I've already plugged it multiple times in this thread, but more is fine in my opinion. Comedy, drama, romance, it has it all, and it's very well written in its original format. The reason behind the MC getting roped into this whole story is a hilarious subplot all in itself, and the major overarching antagonist is really something great. If you can read Chinese, I'd highly advise reading ahead, since it's really that good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pity the translations are so slow, though. i'm glad to have any translation at all, much less a competent one, but i can't help but wish they came out more quickly.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I dunno, the only series I'm reading that updates more often than My Disciple is Undefeated God of War. Scrya updates about once every two days, it's a hell of a lot better than most anything else I've seen.

One other thing I like about My Disciple is (Almost certainly due to its satire of Xianxia) the fact that poo poo has consequences. In almost every other Wuxia/Xianxia series, every move the protagonist makes is the right move. Every one. Even when they "gently caress up", it just leads to them getting in a fight and gaining poo poo, becoming more powerful, or failing upwards and winning in the end anyway. Yes, no matter what the series 99% of protagonists are going to win in the end and everything is going to work out, but at least in My Disciple when Zhu Yao fucks up there are actual downsides. Sure, she reincarnates, but every time she does (except once) it bites her in the rear end. And when she makes mistakes, people suffer, and she feels really loving bad about that. It's very refreshing to have a main character that both can, and does fail on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everything is slow compared to issth's two chapters a day

• Locked thread