Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you want to max a pokemon's CP before evolving it or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what traits or mons should I be looking for in terms of what to keep or melt? Is there a way to see what the max CP a mon could get is? I have a Tauros that has 25 CP but looks like it could expand a lot more. Then again I guess that will take awhile to power up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bottom Liner posted:

I believe the opposite is true.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what traits or mons should I be looking for in terms of what to keep or melt? Is there a way to see what the max CP a mon could get is? I have a Tauros that has 25 CP but looks like it could expand a lot more. Then again I guess that will take awhile to power up.

The only way to see Max CP is by the white ring around the Pokemon in your inventory when you click on them. A white dot will mark on the ring where your mons CP lands on the scale. It isn't going to give an exact number but will give an approximation for how much further it can go.

I think the max CP varies depending on the level you catch them.

Oh and I would save dust until you start catching mons close to the level of what's guarding gyms. Would allow you to save and then quickly be able to take over some gyms.

Evolve all Pidgeys and Rats and other commons for extra exp.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tauros can't be evolved. So I am also wondering what to do with mine.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

I have a gym near my house that is blue (which I am too) and a level 4. I haven't messed with gyms much but I figure I would give it a shot. I beat all the Pokémon except the top one and noticed that the prestige went up pretty quickly, so I healed and battled again a couple more times. When the gym leveled up I figured I could put my Pokémon in it to train since there should be another slot, but when I checked, someone had already stuck theirs in there. is this some camper? or am I just going about this the wrong way?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrSargent posted:

The only way to see Max CP is by the white ring around the Pokemon in your inventory when you click on them. A white dot will mark on the ring where your mons CP lands on the scale. It isn't going to give an exact number but will give an approximation for how much further it can go.

I think the max CP varies depending on the level you catch them.

Mine is 25 CP but the bar is completely empty. But if the max CP is level dependent then I guess I will send him to the glue lab once a better one comes around.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
This may have been answered in the last fifty pages since I looked at this thread but is it optimal to throw the ball when the green circle is near the middle of the larger circle or when it resets back to the larger circle outline? I would assume the former but there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I may be just retarded but in case others don't know as well, gyms do not cap out at level 3. They can go up to like level 10. It's just really common for them to naturally sit around 3 I guess

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
To answer AOL the questions about max cp, it actually changes as you level. According to serebii the max cp of your pokes goes up as you level.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Wait until you get a high level CP before evolving. For example you can get a 10CP ZuBat or a 245 CP Zubat. Evolve the 245 and it will be almost maxed out after evolution. If you evolve the ten it will be evolved at the same point on the scale as before, and you'll need 20,000 dust to come close to what the 245 will evolve to with no dust used.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Broken Cog posted:

The West Coast wakes, the server dies.

Who sleeps? Probably filthy yellows anyways

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mine is 25 CP but the bar is completely empty. But if the max CP is level dependent then I guess I will send him to the glue lab once a better one comes around.

Yah it has to be level dependent. A Zubat I have is level 75 and is about 3/4 of the way through the "cp bar". Another goon posted an image of his inventory with about 6 300+ zubats.

Also for powering up Pokemon to fight gyms, pay special attention to the type of attack they have and which types are super effective or not very effective against other types.

For example, a ground Pokemon with 2 normal moves isn't that great. Others have been saying that spamming the quick attack works best do maybe that move type matters most?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bows1 posted:

Wait until you get a high level CP before evolving. For example you can get a 10CP ZuBat or a 245 CP Zubat. Evolve the 245 and it will be almost maxed out after evolution. If you evolve the ten it will be evolved at the same point on the scale as before, and you'll need 20,000 dust to come close to what the 245 will evolve to with no dust used.

Do they all have the same base stats? In other words will a ZuBat always have the same HP and attacks once it's maxed out?

Is the Goon approved term poke or mon?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I believe the opposite is true.
Nope, doesn't matter. When you evolve the CP value will be higher but it will still be at the same % of it's max

bows1 posted:

You're not wrong but that's probably confusing the issue. Yes you should wait until you have a high level CP before evolving, but dusting right before or right after you evolve makes no difference.

Piso Mojado posted:

I have a gym near my house that is blue (which I am too) and a level 4. I haven't messed with gyms much but I figure I would give it a shot. I beat all the Pokémon except the top one and noticed that the prestige went up pretty quickly, so I healed and battled again a couple more times. When the gym leveled up I figured I could put my Pokémon in it to train since there should be another slot, but when I checked, someone had already stuck theirs in there. is this some camper? or am I just going about this the wrong way?
Sounds like you're doing it right. The gym's level dictates how many pokes can be on it, so if you leveled it and another appeared then yeah someone might have sniped you.

Roar posted:

This may have been answered in the last fifty pages since I looked at this thread but is it optimal to throw the ball when the green circle is near the middle of the larger circle or when it resets back to the larger circle outline? I would assume the former but there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference.
The smaller the shrinking circle (it won't always be green), the greater your bonus if you hit inside of it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

koshmar posted:

German Village, the Short North, and Campus are full of pokestops and gyms.

Eleeleth posted:

Goodale park, friend.

Yup, I'm sure that the Pokestop density is nuts in Short North etc. I'll have to hit it up one of these days!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So as far as hitting the CP ceiling, the only difference is the cost in dust/candy based on the starting CP of the Pokemon. A 275 Zubat can be pumped to max cheaper than a 10, and when you evolve them doesn't matter because they'll stay at the same percentage.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm way behind on this thread, but I have a question - local gyms seem to be for my team, but it allows me to challenge them with a single Pokemon. What good does that do?

Also, do higher level Pokemon get easier to catch as you level up?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
CP is such an unfortunate name.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

New Leaf posted:

I'm way behind on this thread, but I have a question - local gyms seem to be for my team, but it allows me to challenge them with a single Pokemon. What good does that do?

It gives the gym XP and makes you spend potions :v:

Gym level lets more pokemon be stored there and presumably increases the rewards for holding it. I wouldn't know because I haven't had a single gym battle not bug out yet.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

New Leaf posted:

That's training, and it increases the gym's prestige which eventually levels it up and allows more pokes to be added, which makes it stronger. It also gives you XP.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Is there a way to check the status of gyms you have pokes in, or do you just watch to see if any get sent home?

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Also, do higher level Pokemon get easier to catch as you level up?

You get berries at a higher level (8 I think) that makes them easier to catch. I think like 12 and 20, you start getting Great Balls and Ultra Balls respectively which help as well.

That kind of also balances the IAP aspect too. Even though I have great balls unlocked I can still only buy Pokeballs in the store, meaning you can only get Greats and Ultras from playing.

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

Is anyone else getting the "need to activate your trainer club account" error when you try to log in? My account was activated 3 days ago and I actually played all day yesterday? I'm guessing it is just a server issue but I haven't seen any info on it anywhere online.

Ransack
Aug 9, 2006
So, I need some advice. I currently have a LG Sunrise phone from Straight Talk wireless. It doesn't have enough RAM to run this game, so I need to upgrade. Is anyone on here using a Straight Talk wireless phone to play this game, and if so, which phone is it? I don't have enough disposable income to get a contract through another provider. Thanks Goons.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Gotta love when you drop a lure and the servers die for 30 minutes.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Bottom Liner posted:

So as far as hitting the CP ceiling, the only difference is the cost in dust/candy based on the starting CP of the Pokemon. A 275 Zubat can be pumped to max cheaper than a 10, and when you evolve them doesn't matter because they'll stay at the same percentage.

Exactly this is what I meant. Sorry if I confused the issue!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Both caught at level 9, the XS model appears to have a higher cap available to it. I wish I had caught a XL version but this is still pretty good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just was having a coffee at the corner coffee shop, and boom gastly shows up on the tracker. Walked ten feet and got me a ghost ball :ghost:

On the other hand loving bugs all over the place get the gently caress out weedles nobody likes you

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 10, 2016

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I don't get it. My phone always says "unable to find location" no matter what I do. ...Meanwhile my mother's phone in the same location works just fine. What is going on with this app?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I was hoping what you choose to evolve had some bearing on the stats, but it doesn't seem to. My highest cp rattata with 12/40(?) attacks evolved to a 6/35 and gained XS, my pidgey was a 12/35 and evolved into a 15/15 pidgeotto.
Even the type of both attacks changed on the pidgey -> pidgeotto.

Also being on vacation in the middle of nowhere means loving nothing spawns. I caught everything so far in a brief drive & walk in town, haven't seen a single pokemon within miles of where we're staying, including a several hour walk.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's way too hot out to go walking for pokemon again today, but I figured I could just hatch my eggs while I was working in the yard a bit going back and forth. Turns out my phone went into low power, and didn't count most of my steps because the message I didn't see paused my game. :smith:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Ransack posted:

So, I need some advice. I currently have a LG Sunrise phone from Straight Talk wireless. It doesn't have enough RAM to run this game, so I need to upgrade. Is anyone on here using a Straight Talk wireless phone to play this game, and if so, which phone is it? I don't have enough disposable income to get a contract through another provider. Thanks Goons.

You could try sideloading Pokemon Go if the problem is Play Store not allowing you to download it. It may still run that way, especially if you turn off AR. Otherwise you could get something like a Moto E second gen, which is $60-75, and will run the game with no issues.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

How can I be better at this game than all of my friends?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

legoman727 posted:

I don't get it. My phone always says "unable to find location" no matter what I do. ...Meanwhile my mother's phone in the same location works just fine. What is going on with this app?

Are you rooted or jailbroken, and if it's an Android, do you have mock locations turned on in developer options? There's some security to prevent people from location hacking that can cause that if any of those things are true.

Failing that, how's your phone's GPS normally? Some phones just have really crappy GPS antennas that don't work indoors, like my old LG G2.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ogmius815 posted:

How can I be better at this game than all of my friends?

Take up long distance running

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Hrist posted:

It's way too hot out to go walking for pokemon again today, but I figured I could just hatch my eggs while I was working in the yard a bit going back and forth. Turns out my phone went into low power, and didn't count most of my steps because the message I didn't see paused my game. :smith:

I did a 2 mile walk with my dog this morning before it broke 100. Now I'm stuck inside with no pokestops or Pokemon to catch. I reload this game whenever I do anything else because it seems to break if any other function is used at all. .1km from two egg hatches. So far two eggs have given me Pikachu, im hoping for more.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When fighting a gym, do I have to beat all 3 levels or can I just beat the level 1 guy?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Harlock posted:

When fighting a gym, do I have to beat all 3 levels or can I just beat the level 1 guy?

If there's three Pokemon in the gym, you have to beat all three. If there's only one, then yeah, only one has to be beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hi thread. I'm writing my reminders to myself here so hopefully they can help you.

Power level using lucky eggs. Save common pokemon to evolve them all at once during the 30 minute window. The evolution exp will double, which will be very nice if you also get the pokedex bonus. Also try to do this when your eggs are at 99% of their required distance. This website has a chart for how many Pidgeys you should transfer. Somebody on reddit said you can evolve around 30-40 in the 30 minute window, so no need to save up more than that.

Throw pokeballs within the circle, and a smaller circle is better. You get bonus exp this way. Start off trying to hit the big circles, and practice until you can hit the small circles.

You can get walking credit on a bike or a slow car. This game uses the GPS only, so you don't have to fake the up-down pedometer motion. Don't go much faster than 10-15 mph and you'll be good.

Power up before or after evolving, it doesn't matter, but wait until you actually want to fight a gym. No need to spend all your candies on a cp150 if you can just wait a couple days, level up, and get a cp250 to start with.

• Locked thread