Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah that kind of made me stop and stare too. Like....whyyyyyyyy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Has he addressed converting Alpha purchases to Steam?

So the official word right now is that they aren't guaranteeing keys because Steam does not allow you to guarantee keys for products that aren't available to buy or preorder on Steam, which RW isn't right now.

That said, once the game is available, the devs can give away as many keys as they desire to whomever they wish, so wink wink nudge nudge I wouldn't buy it again if you already own it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

quote:

ScenPart: Pawns explode on death (configurable type and radius)

:allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

So the official word right now is that they aren't guaranteeing keys because Steam does not allow you to guarantee keys for products that aren't available to buy or preorder on Steam, which RW isn't right now.

That said, once the game is available, the devs can give away as many keys as they desire to whomever they wish, so wink wink nudge nudge I wouldn't buy it again if you already own it.

Ah, I hadn't heard that rule. Thanks for the explanation. Must be a new rule because I know several other small games used to advertise that they'd so a Steam key swap.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Omnicarus posted:

If I remember correctly, this is actually wrong. Tynan's only giving out Steam keys to people who bought it within a certain time period, and that time period ended like a year ago. He might give out keys to people who bought it after, but his word is "don't count on it" and there were a good few people getting salty about the possibility of late adopters getting Steam keys.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(Tynan is kiiiiiind of an idiot fucker tbh)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If I remember correctly, this is actually wrong. Tynan's only giving out Steam keys to people who bought it within a certain time period, and that time period ended like a year ago. He might give out keys to people who bought it after, but his word is "don't count on it" and there were a good few people getting salty about the possibility of late adopters getting Steam keys.

That was the initial position. Tynan updated the thread below with other info about two weeks ago:

https://m.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4ozogn/steam_release_on_july_15/?ref=search_posts

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

(Tynan is kiiiiiind of an idiot fucker tbh)

Wow rude

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Looks like it was more Valve going "Hey, don't promise keys".

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

quote:

Projectiles fired by hunting colonists no longer intercept random targets.

loving finally. But I feel like I'm going to miss a lot of medicine xp because of this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I bought this game about 2 weeks after the guaranteed steam key thing ended so let's see what happens

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

fart simpson posted:

I bought this game about 2 weeks after the guaranteed steam key thing ended so let's see what happens

Me too. I really only want a steam key for the workshop support.

Although I kind of don't want Tynan to give out keys just to see the community wig out.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Blitz has his first A14 ep up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prfNPt23G4A

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yay, this is all great

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

One change that was interesting from the live stream earlier was that raiders will now try and steal objects of value and flee as individuals, with the guys without booty covering for them, rather than them all fighting to the death then fleeing only over ~65% are dead. My particular favorite is that they can apparently steal unpowered turrets so if your defenses go offline they'll actively loot your outlying defenses before moving in further. The nice thing though is that turrets are now installable and uninstallable so flexible defense lines are more practical.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Omnicarus posted:

One change that was interesting from the live stream earlier was that raiders will now try and steal objects of value and flee as individuals, with the guys without booty covering for them, rather than them all fighting to the death then fleeing only over ~65% are dead. My particular favorite is that they can apparently steal unpowered turrets so if your defenses go offline they'll actively loot your outlying defenses before moving in further. The nice thing though is that turrets are now installable and uninstallable so flexible defense lines are more practical.

This poo poo owns and RimWorld is the best. Remember how some people were going nuts when Tynan took a few months off and said NOW THE GAME'S DEAD AND HE'LL NEVER MAKE IT ANY BETTER~? Love these changes!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Looks like it was more Valve going "Hey, don't promise keys".

Yeah the whole thing basically boils down to ~greenlight~

Greenlight has/had a big issue with people going "Yo vote for us on greenlight and you'll get a free key!" and Valve started cracking down on that heavy. Tynan didn't do this, but he DID go through Greenlight and Valve objected to the "guaranteed steam key" on the rimworld website, so they told him to remove it and not guarantee keys but that anyone who bought before this ultimatum could be guaranteed a key (Hence the "people who bought before xx/xx get a key" thing)

So, the most likely scenario is that the game comes out and Tynan does hand out keys to everyone who buys/bought the game on the website, but that hes just playing safe to avoid pissing off Valve by not saying anything that might be taken as a guarantee of such.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh man I love how the scenario editor is looking. 100% going to have it force everyone in the world to be cannibal psychopaths immediately. If I can also disabled hives spawning in mountains I'll be in heaven.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Oh man I love how the scenario editor is looking. 100% going to have it force everyone in the world to be cannibal psychopaths immediately. If I can also disabled hives spawning in mountains I'll be in heaven.

Hives are getting some significant changes that should make them less of a game ending event, j

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Was Inacio's modpack ever updated for Alpha 13?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I am just surprised that Tynan didn't decide to make the Steam release as Beta 1.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

Hives are getting some significant changes that should make them less of a game ending event, j

What are the changes? Either way, the whole thing felt like a mod I would never installed, and was unable uninstall. I just want to remove it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

What are the changes? Either way, the whole thing felt like a mod I would never installed, and was unable uninstall. I just want to remove it.

If there are no more bugs, the hive will die on its own.

Specifically:
Hives must now be tended by insects, so if insects are all instantly killed by a turret wall, the hives will die out.

Also
Infestations are easier and grow less exponentially.
Infestations only appear deeper underground now.

Technically the hive needing to be tended is an exploit fix, since it was easy and free food once you got a turret wall set up.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 13, 2016

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I havent played this in a long time. Am I correct in remembering you used to be able to make your fort as scary and ugly as possible as an alternative to making it beatiful? Like you could put gibbets everywhere and scare everyone into staying in line?

Also is there a way to clean up the floors without having someone dedicated to cleaning?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

IAmTheRad posted:

Technically the hive needing to be tended is an exploit fix, since it was easy and free food once you got a turret wall set up.

I prefer to conisder it a bug fix :haw:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also does the game still increase difficulty based on how many turrets you have? I remember last time I played you were almost better off with no turrets because it kept the invaders weak

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Isaac posted:

I havent played this in a long time. Am I correct in remembering you used to be able to make your fort as scary and ugly as possible as an alternative to making it beatiful? Like you could put gibbets everywhere and scare everyone into staying in line?

Also is there a way to clean up the floors without having someone dedicated to cleaning?

Isaac posted:

Also does the game still increase difficulty based on how many turrets you have? I remember last time I played you were almost better off with no turrets because it kept the invaders weak

I don't remember gibbets or anything like that, but I only started playing around alpha 8. There aren't any now if that's what you're asking.

You need a dedicated cleaner.

Difficulty increases with your colony's wealth. Pretty sure turrets add to your wealth, but I don't know by how much.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dont remember that well but I think last I played was alpha3 or something. Whatever version it was it was like the algorithm was just enemies = turrets * 2 for invasions.

I made a mistake of putting my butcher shop in the dining room so its a bloody mess all the time. Ill find some useless person to start cleaning all day. Also my only female warg only has its front right paw remaining. It cant walk or feed itself. Can it still reproduce?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Isaac posted:

That was the fear/loyalty system, I believe. It was removed from the game a long time ago.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
It was obviously easier to keep things scary than increase loyalty which I can see as a reason for removing it. it was pretty cool I wish they'd kept it but just rejigged it a bit.

Someone wasnt easy to recruit? Leave them in a cell with their rotting comrades for a day and they'll be eager beaver to join you.

Edit: my limbless warg got eaten by a wild warg

Isaac fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 14, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So the infestation thing seems like poo poo. They're loving strong, it's pretty much hosed a colony that in every other way was solid.

The bugs gently caress colonists right up (need more melee guys I guess) and it's deep in my mountain base which makes it a mess.

Ugh.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

So the infestation thing seems like poo poo. They're loving strong, it's pretty much hosed a colony that in every other way was solid.

The bugs gently caress colonists right up (need more melee guys I guess) and it's deep in my mountain base which makes it a mess.

Ugh.

The new melee changes should make melee much more interesting. The big problem with bugs was that they'd doomstack your melee guys and shred them starship troopers style. Now that pawns and enemies can't clip into each other in melee, you should be able to chock point and block and shoot bugs much easier.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Had a map consuming fire that rain saved me from at the last minute. Was just about to start rebuilding with the 2 survivors and both my tamed grizzly bears went beserk

Edit: A pig came to the rescue and hauled one of the dying back to hospital. Thanks pig

Isaac fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 14, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It would be nice to appreciate that pig and perhaps rise him in your society to a Great Pig. However, food is now low and we're all going to starve so thank you for your efforts - slaughter is that way :(

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Isaac posted:

Had a map consuming fire that rain saved me from at the last minute. Was just about to start rebuilding with the 2 survivors and both my tamed grizzly bears went beserk

Edit: A pig came to the rescue and hauled one of the dying back to hospital. Thanks pig

He seems to be spelling something!

SOME

PIG

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive basically got a pig society with a few humans hanging around. I dont even send dudes to fight I just release the pigs

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Any good YouTubers who are playing A14 I should take a look at? I do subscribe to Blitzkreigsler so I don't need a recommendation to watch his videos.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Isaac posted:

Ive basically got a pig society with a few humans hanging around. I dont even send dudes to fight I just release the pigs

Release the hogs of war

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The deathstack fix is probably the most significant thing effecting combat now. Previously the only real way to deal with a deathstack was to hope it walked over an IED and exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

IAmTheRad posted:

Any good YouTubers who are playing A14 I should take a look at? I do subscribe to Blitzkreigsler so I don't need a recommendation to watch his videos.

Aavak is doing a somewhat eccentric playthrough using a custom scenario. I've grown rather fond of him, despite the fact that it kills me how much time and resources he spends prettying things up instead of, say, building bedrooms for people.