Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is possibly the most regressive post I've seen on here.

i think most of what passes for progressive are actually the attempts to mold ones life around a mechanized impersonal capitalistic (or communistic as the case may be) society that puts The Future, and/or profits and production ahead of individuals. So i don't stand for progressive causes just because they are progressive.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Hey nml check out rogue legacy, seems like it'd be really up your alley

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tautologicus posted:

Lineages including behavior, emotional patterns, inclinations and so on are passed down from parent to child and that continuity is important for many reasons, to do otherwise introduces chaos and confusion into human societies.

Impose mandatory brother-sister marriages where possible to preserve purity of blood, imo.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

Hey nml check out rogue legacy, seems like it'd be really up your alley

ok ty looks interesting maybe..

Jack of Hearts posted:

Impose mandatory brother-sister marriages where possible to preserve purity of blood, imo.

imposing anything is not necessary, and incest creates bad genes. anyway these are cultural reformations not legal ones. they have to happen naturally. not even reforms, just a different way for people to think about things. it's basic perspectives that change behaviors.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tautologicus posted:

i'm not opposed to adoption in the sense of banning it, im opposed to widespread adoption as kind of "we must do this" idea. a good friend of mine, now kind of in the past but a lot of things feel in the past now, he was adopted from a south american country and ive just seen his identity issues growing up from his mid teens to now, 15 years, issues ive never seen in anyone who knew their parents. was a street kid in his home country but at least that was his home country. i dunno, not therefore everyone has crippling identity issues, but the point is the general rule i think is that genetic parents ought to be far preferable to the alternatives.

there's things like primitive villages raising kids between the community, and israeli kibbutzes and so on, and those are tight knit groups and it comes out to the same thing. but i think grabbing a kid from a thousand miles away and sticking them in another cultuer with new parents, with all fo their behavior encoded from their actual parents in their dna, they dont know where any fo their issues come from, they have no continuity. i can't be for that.

News flash, DNA doesn't account for anything in regards to behavioral differences between cultures. Believing that is kind of racist!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is possibly the most regressive post I've seen on here.

He worked hard on the wording.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

i'm not opposed to adoption in the sense of banning it, im opposed to widespread adoption as kind of "we must do this" idea. a good friend of mine, now kind of in the past but a lot of things feel in the past now, he was adopted from a south american country and ive just seen his identity issues growing up from his mid teens to now, 15 years, issues ive never seen in anyone who knew their parents. was a street kid in his home country but at least that was his home country. i dunno, not therefore everyone has crippling identity issues, but the point is the general rule i think is that genetic parents ought to be far preferable to the alternatives.

there's things like primitive villages raising kids between the community, and israeli kibbutzes and so on, and those are tight knit groups and it comes out to the same thing. but i think grabbing a kid from a thousand miles away and sticking them in another cultuer with new parents, with all fo their behavior encoded from their actual parents in their dna, they dont know where any fo their issues come from, they have no continuity. i can't be for that.

out of all the stupid poo poo you come up with this takes the cake

im sure that kid would rather deal with some identity issues over starving in the streets and doing god knows what the gently caress to survive

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I'm sure that kid would be much better off as an African orphan than having been adopted

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

News flash, DNA doesn't account for anything in regards to behavioral differences between cultures. Believing that is kind of racist!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
If two sets of identical twins have kids together and one set dies, its okay for the other twins to adopt the newly orphaned kids. Other than that, ehhh

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Defiance posted:

I was kind of with you on the mental health debate, at least I understood what you were driving at, but being opposed to adoption is pretty hosed up? I mean, how can you not support widespread adoption? The kids would just end up abandoned and stuck in a lovely government-run system.

A lot of Taut's opinions also have little to no evidence afaict supporting the idea that biological parents are any better than a set of surrogates given a certain starting age of child rearing. A good environment is a good environment regardless if the parents are unrelated to the child, the same gender, or what have you. SES and caregiver educational levels probably have more to do with child outcomes than the genetic parenthood of the child. Hell, there's research saying that after several months to a year, iirc, having the child spend much of their time in day care doesn't affect closeness to parents compared to them not going to daycare and having a stay at home parent. There's a whole slew of factors that affect child development and heritage is probably one of the lest significant ones with external factors affecting it like race.

The foster care and adoption system is a different issue than whether or not homosexual couples can adopt children, IMO, but they're not completely unlinked.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Raiad posted:

I'm sure that kid would be much better off as an African orphan than having been adopted

See now this is racist. At least he would be part of his home country and culture, knowing at least something of his background and from whence he came. culture, the emotional experience of it, encodes itself in the genes too i believe

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tautologicus posted:

incest creates bad genes

No it doesn't.

Tacky-Ass Rococco fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 10, 2016

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

Hell, there's research saying that after several months to a year, iirc, having the child spend much of their time in day care doesn't affect closeness to parents compared to them not going to daycare and having a stay at home parent. T

Not going to get into all this and the rest but by the way this is just attempting to normalize an aberration of production, work and profit in an out of control system that requires that both parents work full time during one of the richest periods in human history. And so on. not gonna buy this junk outright. Youre trying to normalize wholly unnatural (and for pay) parenting schemes

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jack of Hearts posted:

No it doesn't.

inbreeding is a thing, pakistani british have a much much MUCH higher rate of birth defects than the average british caucasian citizen, thats because they all marry their cousins. you're totally wrong. also syrians, they will be a huge drag on the european health systems as they come in numbers, lots of kids with health issues from birth

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

See now this is racist. At least he would be part of his home country and culture, knowing at least something of his background and from whence he came. culture, the emotional experience of it, encodes itself in the genes too i believe

what the hell is wrong with you. how are you this ignorant and wrongheaded. if you werent so candid all the time i would assume its some kind of masterful troll

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

you ever heard of maslow's hierarchy of needs? you seem intent of being ignorant or skeptical of even the most basic of concepts

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

what the hell is wrong with you. how are you this ignorant and wrongheaded. if you werent so candid all the time i would assume its some kind of masterful troll

its not like im against interracial marriage and children, i just think people ought to know who their parents are.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

imposing anything is not necessary, and incest creates bad genes. anyway these are cultural reformations not legal ones. they have to happen naturally. not even reforms, just a different way for people to think about things. it's basic perspectives that change behaviors.

Incest doesn't create anything. It increases the likelihood of recessive traits being passed on which may or may not be bad (certain forms of Dwarfism are actually genetically dominant), but it doesn't increase the likelihood of mutation or create anything.

Tautologicus posted:

Not going to get into all this and the rest but by the way this is just attempting to normalize an aberration of production, work and profit in an out of control system that requires that both parents work full time during one of the richest periods in human history. And so on. not gonna buy this junk outright. Youre trying to normalize wholly unnatural (and for pay) parenting schemes

The only difference between Day Care and communal child rearing, in theory, is one is for profit and the other isn't.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

its not like im against interracial marriage and children, i just think people ought to know who their parents are.

So is it about culture and genetics being intertwined or is it about adopted parents being inferior in some undefined way

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/752215352122208256

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

[citation needed]

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tautologicus posted:

culture, the emotional experience of it, encodes itself in the genes too i believe

quote:

incest creates bad genes

Interestingly, the guy who thinks Hitler was perhaps misunderstood doesn't understand what genes are.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Tautologicus posted:

culture, the emotional experience of it, encodes itself in the genes too i believe

Ahahahhaaaa did you get yr science education from the Dune novels?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Strangle orphans in their cribs imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
better at hey die than forced to accept a mongrel lineage

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

its good you believe things that are really dumb but you don't have to talk about it

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

Incest doesn't create anything. It increases the likelihood of recessive traits being passed on which may or may not be bad (certain forms of Dwarfism are actually genetically dominant), but it doesn't increase the likelihood of mutation or create anything.

The only difference between Day Care and communal child rearing, in theory, is one is for profit and the other isn't.

ok i misspoke on "creating", but its effectively the same thing. and yes i know about recessive genes. thats just a technical quibble than an actual argument though unless youre going after credibility.

And I disagree. communal child rearing is communal. day care is for profit and from larger areas and populations, many of the families barely or if at all know each other when they first go in. not that day care can't be communal, but it's not intended to be some kind of communal child rearing system, and so it isn't. it's impersonal from beginning to end, even if people get to know each other in the process, almost inadvertently. trust between parents is not necessary, only with the owner.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

This is the new leader of the Party of Reagan, everyone. It's Morning Race War In America.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

[citation needed]

you can extrapolate it from the existence of epigenetics, or genes recoding themselves within a person and then passing from parent to child. stress is passed down, trauma is passed down. it's all passed down. good and bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MadJackal posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

This is the new leader of the Party of Reagan, everyone. It's Morning Race War In America.

its not even the party of reagan now. its the party of trump or it will be. even if he loses the GOP is kinda hosed.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Please something happen with Trump so this conversation can end.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jack of Hearts posted:

Interestingly, the guy who thinks Hitler was perhaps misunderstood doesn't understand what genes are.

ok so you're after the slander and mockery angle here. you should check up on the birth defects among immigrant populations in britain. here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...g-children.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-23180425
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ldren-risk.html

you're welcome

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

I think I'm finally alright with owning up to being a failson..I never lived up to my parent's expectations, but I don't think I ever really wanted to. I barely ever even tried. I never excelled in anything as a kid and never really had any hobbies of note, although I was well read, creative to an extent and physically in shape. I went to a good public high school and dropped out the day I turned 16. I never wanted to look back. It's funny though, that I always had dreams afterwards about being back in high school at whatever age I was then. I consider that point my divergence from my fate, and everything after that was "off the record". I think I spent many times trying to scramble back onto my "fate". Some course, some path to take through life. I worked as a taxi driver and in IT and later a prop stock trading firm (where I made very little). I joined the Marines and got out after 2 years.

I went back to school at 27 and finished at 29 with a BA. I applied to government jobs along with my 10 points disability preference and even when I got calls back for interviews I didn't go. Instead I went travelling. Then my father died in 2015 and after going back home to deal with all that I got a small inheritance and have been trading with it and have been doing poorly overall. I realized recently I don't know what I need to know to be successful in the long term and any successes I'd have would be luck. I also realized I don't want to know what I need to know. I just don't want to learn about the world anymore.

For a long time I wanted to know how the world fit together and now I see it doesn't fit together. I don't want to know anything else and now I just travel aimlessly around the world on disability payments and my dwindling inheritance. I have a girlfriend but she's from the third world and would go with anyone who would get her out of there I think. But I do not consider myself unattractive and I am not short, although I am currently overweight.

But that's neither here nor there. Who gives a drat anymore. I just picked a hitchhiking girl from Zimbabwe up in my BMW here in Cyprus and after a short conversation I was too conflicted to ask for her number because I was thinking of all the ways it could go wrong and maybe I really just wanted to be left alone even though I was actually lonely since my girlfriend is back home for a month. I don't want to lead anyone into something I can't promise a good resolution to. I also don't like putting myself out there if I'm not 100% sure. I used to go for what I wanted now I just don't want to be involved, even though at the same time human nature is to to seek meaning and purpose, so I don't know if I'm fighting human nature or it's fighting me. OK I hope this fit the theme of the thread, I think it did.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i think it's bad to feed the multi-trillion-dollar international orphan adoption industry by murdering african childrens' parents. i think tautologicus and i stand together on this one. say No to Big Orphan Adoption!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well trump should be releasing the convention schedule two days ago.

All this talk got me thinking, I have a friend who doesn't believe outer space is real and maybe I shouldn't have introduced her to last podcast on the left. I'm kind of worried about her hearing the hollow earth episode.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

So is it about culture and genetics being intertwined or is it about adopted parents being inferior in some undefined way

first part, i don't think adopting parents are inferior.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Trump's throwing a tantrum on Twitter right now, but you guys seem to be more interested in arguing with an obvious troll for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i hope trump goes with the general because itll end the glorious populist trilogy of george wallace/curtis lemay and ross perot/james stockdale

• Locked thread