Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Am I like the only person who thinks that the world's mad rush to move all business logic into the client, in the form of Angular/React/whatever the latest thing is, is basically developers scrambling for the biggest bazooka possible with which to blow off their own feet?

JavaScript is by its nature unencrypted and unauthenticated and transparent to the end user. Anyone who can load the webapp basically gets a free copy of the entire application. It's one thing if the (protected, authenticated, opaque) API that feeds it represents a complex pile of unique business logic in itself, like if it's a dispatching system or it's doing some clever proprietary processing before returning results. But if your back-end is just a REST-ish representation of a database, like if it's a fairly simple schema of objects in basic relationships, reverse-engineering it is comparatively trivial. Showing someone your front-end is basically saying "Please steal my webapp, all you've got to do is mock up some storage models and you're good to go".

If your business' secret sauce is all in the back-end and the client side is just a pretty face for it, well, great, I guess. But if the entire development effort is focused on the front-end, as so many seem to be these days, isn't it just training devs to be comfortable basically walking down the street with business-critical assets dangling out of their pockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Data Graham posted:

Am I like the only person who thinks that the world's mad rush to move all business logic into the client, in the form of Angular/React/whatever the latest thing is, is basically developers scrambling for the biggest bazooka possible with which to blow off their own feet?

JavaScript is by its nature unencrypted and unauthenticated and transparent to the end user. Anyone who can load the webapp basically gets a free copy of the entire application. It's one thing if the (protected, authenticated, opaque) API that feeds it represents a complex pile of unique business logic in itself, like if it's a dispatching system or it's doing some clever proprietary processing before returning results. But if your back-end is just a REST-ish representation of a database, like if it's a fairly simple schema of objects in basic relationships, reverse-engineering it is comparatively trivial. Showing someone your front-end is basically saying "Please steal my webapp, all you've got to do is mock up some storage models and you're good to go".

If your business' secret sauce is all in the back-end and the client side is just a pretty face for it, well, great, I guess. But if the entire development effort is focused on the front-end, as so many seem to be these days, isn't it just training devs to be comfortable basically walking down the street with business-critical assets dangling out of their pockets?

All the important stuff should really be taking place on the server anyways. SPAs don't fundamentally change that, they really just move the DOM manipulation part to the client. Your backend (should) still be doing all the parts that matter.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

I think it's more to do with "Hey, we have an iOS app, an Android app, some partner integrations, and they all access data via API, so why are we writing all this [ Django / Rails / Laravel / whatever ] code for our web app that accesses data in it's own special snowflake way?" So sure, you can have the web server make API requests and then render views to send down, but why not save all the processing of rendering views* and have JS on the client do it? I can't think of any "Business logic" that would *ever* go on in my React SPAs. Not because I don't want anyone stealing it, but because trusting the client is stupid. The API has all my business logic in it. Sure I might mimic some light version of it for client-side validation, but the meat is all on the back-end. If your back-end really is a straight up REST-ish view of the DB, then you probably don't have much worth stealing =)

* minus the first one if you are doing server-side rendering, which you should be.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean that's how I'm going to keep doing things, but it sure seems like a lot of teams aren't getting the memo. A lot of new devs are going to get a hard lesson sooner or later.

Lumpy posted:

* minus the first one if you are doing server-side rendering, which you should be.

I get absolutely no takers when I suggest server-side rendering anymore, or even jQuery. "Oh that's so old :smuggo: "

loving table views with infinite scrolling fed by APIs and driven by web workers — just because a 20-year-old unchanging use case can be done in a new way doesn't mean it has to be reinvented every time you turn around. Especially if it just makes everything slower (and you keep telling me the whole reason you did it this way is for speed :argh: )

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

I get absolutely no takers when I suggest server-side rendering anymore, or even jQuery. "Oh that's so old :smuggo: "

Well, to be fair, if you are using React, only it should me messing w/ the DOM, so you shouldn't use jQuery's DOM manipulation in that case... and if you aren't using it for that, there is little point in using in these days. It's been years since I used jQuery, even in a non-React project. I guess if I had to support IE8 I might still.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Right, I mean either I'm going whole-hog client-side templating (Angular/React/what-have-you), or I'm rolling my own workflow via jQuery. I still find the latter to be just as flexible and a lot easier for new team members to pick up quickly a lot of the time. Just means you're doing more stuff explicitly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the alternative is spending weeks spelunking through clever MVC stuff.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Does jQuery's $.ajax() offer any particularly compelling benefits over doing XHR "manually"?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Does anyone know how well Angular's form validation works with HTML5 form validation? The new SCA that we have to run all of our web apps against with some special client-mandated security definitions thinks that turning off HTML5 form validation is as equally dangerous as allowing SQL injection. I really don't want to go through and do regression tests on the 50-60 forms in our application to see if the forms all work the same.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Anony Mouse posted:

Does jQuery's $.ajax() offer any particularly compelling benefits over doing XHR "manually"?

A few hundred lines less code, some interesting bug 'fixes' like https://github.com/jquery/jquery/blob/master/src/ajax/xhr.js#L21, easier to use if you plan on having a lot of options?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Anony Mouse posted:

Not really unless you're dealing with older versions of IE, in which case it handles those quirks for you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm in more of a development role than a graphics role, but have had to do some stuff lately without Photoshop and.... Paint.net is really good guys. So far I've had to do these kind of one offs:
- Edit/crop/adjust product photos
- Make animated gifs
- Make favico
- Make simple pre-press print things (instruction cards, logos, coupon drop cards, etc.)

The only thing I miss/need Photoshop for is:
- Advanced text (kerning, text along path, etc.)
- Angular lasso select for removing backgrounds

Everything else Paint.net does easily and well. Kinda impressed to tell the truth, makes me wonder why I've been wrestling with Gimp all these years and can still barely do anything in it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anony Mouse posted:

Others have said the stuff I would say mostly, but I wanted to add that the new fetch api is pretty nice and there's a good polyfill for older browsers.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

...why I've been wrestling with Gimp all these years and can still barely do anything in it.

Because the UI for the GIMP is a poster child for everything you can do wrong.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

I'm in more of a development role than a graphics role, but have had to do some stuff lately without Photoshop and.... Paint.net is really good guys. So far I've had to do these kind of one offs:
- Edit/crop/adjust product photos
- Make animated gifs
- Make favico
- Make simple pre-press print things (instruction cards, logos, coupon drop cards, etc.)

The only thing I miss/need Photoshop for is:
- Advanced text (kerning, text along path, etc.)
- Angular lasso select for removing backgrounds

Everything else Paint.net does easily and well. Kinda impressed to tell the truth, makes me wonder why I've been wrestling with Gimp all these years and can still barely do anything in it.
If you're on Mac, check out Sketch. I was skeptical at first but it has won me over along with the rest of my studio. We use it for everything from wireframes to visual design production to redlining. $99 for a perpetual license is dirt cheap compared to Adobe's subscription bullshit.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Seconding Sketch. I too sometimes have to create "programmer art" and just did a bunch of OS X app toolbar icons in it. Far easier and far more enjoyable than in Adobe products (for which I do have a CC subscription).

They have a bunch of instructional videos on their site which I found very useful and which actually helped convince me to buy it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

argondamn posted:

Does anyone know how well Angular's form validation works with HTML5 form validation? The new SCA that we have to run all of our web apps against with some special client-mandated security definitions thinks that turning off HTML5 form validation is as equally dangerous as allowing SQL injection. I really don't want to go through and do regression tests on the 50-60 forms in our application to see if the forms all work the same.

Well, my question #1 would be, are you doing input validation on the server side too? Because relying on any kind of client-side input sanitation is basically leaving the door wide open to anyone with a script.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Data Graham posted:

Well, my question #1 would be, are you doing input validation on the server side too?

Saves round trips to the server, faster experience for the client. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to have both.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, hence "too". I meant that encouragingly, not disparagingly.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Data Graham posted:

Oops, my brain read that as "why are you doing..."

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Thermopyle posted:

Others have said the stuff I would say mostly, but I wanted to add that the new fetch api is pretty nice and there's a good polyfill for older browsers.

This. Fetch is great. https://github.com/github/fetch

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Data Graham posted:

It also means there is no reason for HTML5 Validation to be part of a security audit, because it has precisely zero to do with security and may mess up some behaviors of your forms. It'll probably be fine, but obviously if you drop in something you would do well to test your forms.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anony Mouse posted:

If you're on Mac, check out Sketch. I was skeptical at first but it has won me over along with the rest of my studio. We use it for everything from wireframes to visual design production to redlining. $99 for a perpetual license is dirt cheap compared to Adobe's subscription bullshit.

My life revolves around Sketch but it's more akin to Illustrator than Photoshop. Its bitmap tools are rudimentary at best.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
One of our clients continuously complains about getting spam through the contact form on their site. The problem is the HTML and, more importantly, the action for the form is generated and handled by their CRM so we've got no hand in processing submissions.

I've added reCaptcha on the client-side but that's pretty easy to bypass, are there any options for reducing spam when they won't let us handle the forms? I thought about processing submissions on our server then POSTing them on to the client CRM - is this a crazy idea?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kobayashi posted:

My life revolves around Sketch but it's more akin to Illustrator than Photoshop. Its bitmap tools are rudimentary at best.
Yeah rereading his post it seems like that's more what he uses paint.net for. Still, sketch uber alles.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

nexus6 posted:

One of our clients continuously complains about getting spam through the contact form on their site. The problem is the HTML and, more importantly, the action for the form is generated and handled by their CRM so we've got no hand in processing submissions.

I've added reCaptcha on the client-side but that's pretty easy to bypass, are there any options for reducing spam when they won't let us handle the forms? I thought about processing submissions on our server then POSTing them on to the client CRM - is this a crazy idea?

Can you throttle submissions per client IP?

If you can't via their CRM... I can think of a few crazy ways to do with JavaScript that would probably catch most spammers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How permeable is reCaptcha? I was under the impression (from a quick search) that the latest version is pretty good.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Skandranon posted:

Can you throttle submissions per client IP?

If you can't via their CRM... I can think of a few crazy ways to do with JavaScript that would probably catch most spammers.

I don't have access to their CRM at all

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

How permeable is reCaptcha? I was under the impression (from a quick search) that the latest version is pretty good.

one of the tools i've seen recently cracks recaptcha by running each image through google reverse image search and scores pretty well on fully automating recaptcha challenges for the grid of images

also,

nexus6 posted:

recaptcha requires a server-side portion too, or it's completely useless and the point is moot; you can't just "bypass" it unless you are actually not checking recaptcha at all server side

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

nexus6 posted:

I don't have access to their CRM at all
You could add an additional form field that resides inside of a hidden <div> within your form. Then, add some JS to either prevent the form from submitting if it has content, or updates the post action to point to a blank page.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Well, my question #1 would be, are you doing input validation on the server side too? Because relying on any kind of client-side input sanitation is basically leaving the door wide open to anyone with a script.

Of course.

Thankfully I've been able to convince my way too involved PL to let me mark it as "Not an issue" and move on. Funny thing is all the severe findings were false positives and the one actual security risk (XSRF) was just a moderate finding.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

root beer posted:

You could add an additional form field that resides inside of a hidden <div> within your form. Then, add some JS to either prevent the form from submitting if it has content, or updates the post action to point to a blank page.
Does this kind of thing actually work? I mean, it seems kind of rudimentary to be honest and too easy to programmatically determine which is the "actual" form.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Anony Mouse posted:

Does this kind of thing actually work? I mean, it seems kind of rudimentary to be honest and too easy to programmatically determine which is the "actual" form.

Yeah, but that requires someone to spend actual effort and attention on your site. Most people are probably using canned tools and will give up very quickly when it doesn't work. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than someone else running away.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Anony Mouse posted:

It works a lot better if you can modify how the form is processed on the server side (so that you can actually change the names of processed fields to remove keywords bots look for), but it's really more of a bandaid-on-cancer type of deal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Anony Mouse posted:

Yes and maybe no.

I've got one set up like that where it's "Email" <hidden div><input name="email"></div><input name="optionalfield1">, but the amount of spam getting through it has increased notably in the last six months so I think there's at least one tool that has figured it out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
All of those "clever tricks" you try to fool spambots with are basically just an easy way to make your site completely unusable by anyone that relies on a screen reader or other assistive technology in order to use their computer. Please don't do that.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

Jabor posted:

All of those "clever tricks" you try to fool spambots with are basically just an easy way to make your site completely unusable by anyone that relies on a screen reader or other assistive technology in order to use their computer. Please don't do that.

What are your alternatives?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Heskie posted:

What are your alternatives?

To: Client
Subject: Re: WHY ARE WE GETTING SO MCUH SPAM!!!!1!!`

"Now that we've installed reCAPTCHA on the form you should see significantly less spam. However please be aware that since this is a public form on the internet you will always see a certain amount of spam and there's simply no way around that."

Seriously, there's no silver bullet. I've avoided this argument with clients for years by telling them to expect to see spam before I create a form, while I'm creating the form, and occasionally after I've created the form.

Also anecdotally, I have a site where forms are hidden with CSS until a user clicks a "I want to fill out the form" button, and they have never seen a lick of spam. No captcha, lots of traffic. Granted it's a pretty special use case and I wouldn't recommend it in general.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The site I just rolled out, I dutifully made sure the entire two-tier ajaxy form worked fine with no-JavaScript fallback. Took a lot of effort and testing, too. I was super proud of it. But then I had to add recaptcha, and... well. No more using the site without JS.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I need some help with displaying different content in different view sizes, and I believe it's not something I can do with media queries via css.

I'm using Angular 1.5.x + Angular-Bootstrap + some modules from AngularStrap.

I am using a dropdown in my navbar and it works great for a desktop presentation, however on mobile I need to change the dropdown to a different format.

Right now I'm trying to gently caress it through DOM manipulation as so:

code:
dssapp.directive('browseContent', function($window) {
    return {
        restrict: 'E',
        template: '<div ng-include="templateUrl"></div>',
        link: function(scope) {
            $window.onresize = function() {
                changeDropDown();
                scope.$apply;
            };
            changeDropDown();

function changeDropDown() {
                var screenWidth = $window.innerWidth;

if (screenWidth < 768 ) {
                    scope.templateUrl = 'views/header.mobile.html';
                };
		if (screenWidth >= 769 ) {
                    scope.templateUrl = 'views/header.normal.html';
                };
            }
        }
    }
});
This works great when I am switching from desktop to mobile size, however I feel it's really inefficient because it does about a dozen checks while resizing the window.

Another problem I am having is that when I switch back to Desktop size it doesn't replace the changed content back to desktop version, it leaves the mobile data in the DOM until I click on something then it switches.

Additionally there's a delay of 1-2 seconds to actually switch the template.

Advice is seriously welcome how I can do this.

Is there a way I could accomplish this via ui.router or another way that seems less hackish?

Edit: Yes I know I'm not using Typescript. Still learning that. I'd be happy if someone showed me in Typescript because I have the transpiler set up for it. :v:

Edit 2: It feels like ui.bootstrap and AngularStrap just add unnecessary complications, but it's the best way right?

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

The site I just rolled out, I dutifully made sure the entire two-tier ajaxy form worked fine with no-JavaScript fallback. Took a lot of effort and testing, too. I was super proud of it. But then I had to add recaptcha, and... well. No more using the site without JS.

recaptcha supports non-javascript clients iirc? you basically get text to copy paste into a plain <input> field