Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WHO IS SA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Casters were a little weak on their goku jokes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

resistentialism posted:

Casters were a little weak on their goku jokes.

one of them has literally never seen DBZ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Woo, go Goku. I was just flipping through the streams and saw Goku and the names from in-house stream. Too bad it's a BO1 though.

E: RIP. Way to represent though!

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 10, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dren posted:

The symmetrical, linear 5CP maps are the best TF2 maps and pubbies absolutely understand the objective.

I have enough 1-minute Badlands victories that say otherwise.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

They really need to sort out ranked, having one of your team just straight up abandon, leaving you one man down is incredibly unfair. Give us a bot for heavens sake

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Port Badlands the best map ever to Overwatch

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

DrSeRRoD posted:

Woo, go Goku. I was just flipping through the streams and saw Goku and the names from in-house stream. Too bad it's a BO1 though.

E: RIP. Way to represent though!

We won the first game pretty handily at least. And everyone knows when Goku loses he always comes back stronger

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ahhpple posted:

We won the first game pretty handily at least. And everyone knows when Goku loses he always comes back stronger

I'll have to check the VODs for that one. Was it casted?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DrSeRRoD posted:

It was! We lost second round, but won third. Waiting for our fourth game.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Any recommendations for a great computer headset/mic combo? I have a webcam mic I've been using, but obviously that picks up the game and my keyboard/mouse. Would be great to not have to use push to talk as well.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Nitramster posted:

Any recommendations for a great computer headset/mic combo? I have a webcam mic I've been using, but obviously that picks up the game and my keyboard/mouse. Would be great to not have to use push to talk as well.

I'm liking my hyperx revolvers, the mic is your basic okayish-headset mic, but its really comfy and the steel frame means I won't break it as fast as I usually do with things.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yeah here https://www.twitch.tv/gosugamers/v/77316444?t=1h46m

We're not on stream anymore tho

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitramster posted:

I've used a bunch of different headsets over the years and it really doesn't make much of a difference once you're in the $40-60 range. Just go with a known brand and whatever colors/style you like.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That attack plan Oink ran on Hollywood 1 was cool as gently caress. They were so clearly outclassed and they still crushed that point.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

piratepilates posted:

You should definitely play at those low levels, and you should also record or stream the games so we can see what that is like.

This is what the game is like in the 30-50 poo poo ranks:

It's pretty fun!

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

is there any point where if you leave too many you get more than the leaver penalty? i've had the -75% for like 5 days now because every game I play is like triple hanzo or genji and im just not gonna waste time with them so i leave

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Kehveli posted:

I'm liking my hyperx revolvers, the mic is your basic okayish-headset mic, but its really comfy and the steel frame means I won't break it as fast as I usually do with things.

I work at best buy and we have these! I'll check them out and see what my discount gets me, thanks!

FAUXTON posted:

I've used a bunch of different headsets over the years and it really doesn't make much of a difference once you're in the $40-60 range. Just go with a known brand and whatever colors/style you like.

I was really hoping for something with surround so I know I'm looking around the 80-120 range.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nitramster posted:

Honestly, i don't recommend a headset combo but if you must, these sound pretty solid and they give a range of options for budget. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-headset/ If you have the money, Sennheiser GAME ON seems like a good choice but the $60 range ones seem acceptable too.

I'd suggest a decent standalone mic (i got a Yeti Blue last Black Friday sale for really cheap and I really love it) and a good sennheiser but I suppose it all depends on your needs and budget. I've always found headsets end up breaking in some form or another.

e: Also don't be that guy (you know who I'm talking about ;)) who doesn't use push to talk, regardless if it's good mic or not.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 10, 2016

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Xaris posted:

Honestly, i don't recommend a headset combo but if you must, these sound pretty solid and they give a range of options for budget. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-headset/ If you have the money, Sennheiser GAME ON seems like a good choice but the $60 range ones seem acceptable too.

I'd suggest a decent standalone mic (i got a Yeti Blue last Black Friday sale for really cheap and I really love it) and a good sennheiser but I suppose it all depends on your needs and budget. I've always found headsets end up breaking in some form or another.

e: Also don't be that guy (you know who I'm talking about ;)) who doesn't use push to talk, regardless if it's good mic or not.

I'm not streaming or recording audio, there's no reason for me to spend $150 on a desk mic. Also I can usually dial in a microphone to not pick up anything but what I say, and I don't speak unless I need to. If I can't I'll go push-to-talk, I don't like to be that guy either.

Thanks for that link though, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for, good stuff thanks!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

this game is made better when you mute character voices

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nitramster posted:

I'm not streaming or recording audio, there's no reason for me to spend $150 on a desk mic. Also I can usually dial in a microphone to not pick up anything but what I say, and I don't speak unless I need to. If I can't I'll go push-to-talk, I don't like to be that guy either.

Thanks for that link though, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for, good stuff thanks!

Yeah totally that's a bit excessive.

I was thinking more along the lines of a relatively cheap ~30 stand mic and just a good headphone pair since quality of both separate are usually way studier and better but some of those headsets look a lot better than options I've used before.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can't imagine why people here genuinely like Overtime. There's nothing as frustrating as losing a 99-30 win at the last moment.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I can't imagine why people here genuinely like Overtime. There's nothing as frustrating as losing a 99-30 win at the last moment.

I like it as a casual player because it makes games tense and there's nothing on the line but some experience. I can see why people would hate it competitively.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Craptacular! posted:

I don't like overtime, I think it creates an incentive for all kinds of degenerate play and probably makes it harder to balance offense / defense than it should be.

However, there is one very compelling game design reason to have it, or something like it, which is that without overtime many maps, and especially Payload maps, can end up in an unwinnable condition significantly before the timer actually reaches zero -- and that's horrible. Like, that's some serious worst-case-imaginable poo poo right there in terms of keeping your players happy and keeping the game competitive / skillful.

Whatever they change or replace it with has to solve that problem, at minimum.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think he's specifically referring to koth (e: they aren't gonna remove or change overtime in payload)

anyway, people like overtime because it feels good to win off of a comeback

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 11, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think he's specifically referring to koth (e: they aren't gonna remove or change overtime in payload)

anyway, people like overtime because it feels good to win off of a comeback

I'm too sick to intelligently analyze whether the same problem would happen in KOTH so I'll just say that Blizzard probably isn't going to implement slightly different versions of overtime for different kinds of maps, that's not their style at all. It would confuse people.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess if you're dominating KTOH and then lose overtime at 99 and then lose the game after it, there's an argument to be made that you deserve to lose because you had the opponents whole remaining timer to get one point. But it still feels like poo poo. It feels like a DOTA2 "game of throws" style moment of shame, but it's not; really all it means is that you couldn't hold against the enemies going Horde Mode on you and not giving a poo poo if they're supercharging you with their expendable hail mary or not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dongicus posted:

this game is made better when you mute character voices

This seems like a completely miserable way to play

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tracer being annoying as poo poo is actually part of her power, please do not use exploits to gain an unfair advantage by tuning her out.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Overtime is a fair tradeoff to make gameplay otherwise more interesting. I definitely agree there have been many times I wish the match had just ended already but I also like that there's a window of opportunity that you can either harness or quash with the right teams.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I guess if you're dominating KTOH and then lose overtime at 99 and then lose the game after it, there's an argument to be made that you deserve to lose because you had the opponents whole remaining timer to get one point. But it still feels like poo poo. It feels like a DOTA2 "game of throws" style moment of shame, but it's not; really all it means is that you couldn't hold against the enemies going Horde Mode on you and not giving a poo poo if they're supercharging you with their expendable hail mary or not.

I mean yea, losing feels bad, but when that happens it feels like you hosed up, not that the game screwed you

the big problem with overtime (the infinite stall play) almost never happens when it's not 2 coordinated teams playing against each other. it's not a bad thing in pub play

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

This seems like a completely miserable way to play

http://youtubedoubler.com/iJPM every time you respawn

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'd be fine with KOTH overtime being removed if contesting the point also stopped the point from accumulating progress. Otherwise it'd be way too loving easy to take the point in the first minute, and then do nothing but stall until you win.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Some of y'all been missing some great goon groups

Broken eggs weed chat booze chat winning games losing games good times all around

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that would just make the 5 tracer+lucio thing extend from overtime to the entire match

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I guess I'm not entirely surprised but I'm amazed at how many D.Va players are so bad at playing D.Va.

Like, activating defense matrix when a 100 charge Zarya beam is melting them rather than just flying off.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Why is Blizzard switching S2 to give out ties instead of just using stopwatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

fadam posted:

Why is Blizzard switching S2 to give out ties instead of just using stopwatch?

Because stopwatch is anticlimactic and would result in second rounds not worth playing. There is no way that stopwatch can work in a pub environment.