Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

And honestly. If the excuse is that Ms. marvel was advertised and shown off and stuff and thus people knew ahead of time, then gosh, maybe DC should do the same?

Yes but then DC would have to do something smart that Marvel does like recap pages and we can't risk doing that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
New York style pizza is a sin, Might as well just throw some mozzarella on a piece of cardboard.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

All food in Pennsylvania is horrible.

pierogi are not horrible and PA is where I first had pierogi therefore you are wrong and bad and dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

pierogi are not horrible and PA is where I first had pierogi therefore you are wrong and bad and dumb.

I am beautiful and wise and know all things.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm pretty interested in New Super-Man.

The cover does come across as a bit much to me, but given that it's written by a Chinese writer, and Chinese users are saying it's fine I'm not going to make a stink about it.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the actual book will be like, but I feel somewhat optimistic about it since the preview was interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

The cover does come across as a bit much to me, but given that it's written by a Chinese writer, and Chinese users are saying it's fine I'm not going to make a stink about it.

Nope, the goon hivemind says it must be poo poo so it's already poo poo.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Pierogi are thanks to Slav ingenuity. No need for Pennsylvania, Chicago has plenty of Slavs with plenty of pierogi.

Squizzle posted:

wtf franchise crap are you all talking

Just go to any old local place here.

I have never had pizza here and I turned out okay.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Nope, the goon hivemind says it must be poo poo so it's already poo poo.

The art is bad, the story will probably be fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

The art is bad, the story will probably be fine.

I'm sorry the story is racist

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm sorry the story is racist

You misunderstood me, I don't have a problem with what is depicted on the cover at all. The art in the preview for the actual pages is just not very good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

You misunderstood me, I don't have a problem with what is depicted on the cover at all. The art in the preview for the actual pages is just not very good.

well that is compounded by the story being racist in the book that we haven't read yet

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

well that is compounded by the story being racist in the book that we haven't read yet

DC has addressed our concerns and every copy will include a limited edition set of NEW SUPER MAN chopsticks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

DC has addressed our concerns and every copy will include a limited edition set of NEW SUPER MAN chopsticks.

And hidden pandas (that only racists can see)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

As a Indian woman I think the cover is ok

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pierogis loving rule and are the only thing I miss from when I lived in PA.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

All food in Pennsylvania is horrible.

Extremely true, with two caveats:
  • The Conflict Kitchen in Pittsburgh is :wow: good
  • Philadelphia shouldn't count as part of Pennsylvania for most purposes, including this one

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why does everyone keep complaining New Superman seems like a jerk? Like I'm pretty sure the up fronts literally say the character starts out self centered and learns to take responsibility and be a real hero. Like Spider-Man.

Now of course that may be a story you're tired of, but it's not just "that character is an unlikable rear end in a top hat".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Why does everyone keep complaining New Superman seems like a jerk? Like I'm pretty sure the up fronts literally say the character starts out self centered and learns to take responsibility and be a real hero. Like Spider-Man.

Now of course that may be a story you're tired of, but it's not just "that character is an unlikable rear end in a top hat".

Why is he a jerk? Oh I dunno, maybe the preview pages where he's beating up a kid and stealing his lunch and calling him names. Just a hunch that might be it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Why is he a jerk? Oh I dunno, maybe the preview pages where he's beating up a kid and stealing his lunch and calling him names. Just a hunch that might be it.

You know, like Spider-Man!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the comic literally goes "You thought this would be a Peter Parker story? Nuh-uh, it's about Flash Thompson!" and Flash Thompson turns out to be awesome and cool and rad and strong. I'm willing to give New Super-Man a chance literally solely because he's Asian, but his entire intro came off as tone deaf at best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

To be clear, I think having it be an unlikable bully is a good idea because too often it is a character you instantly sympathize with. But it's clear he's supposed to be unlikable at first. I'm happy it wasn't just another shy kid that wants to do good.

Toxxupation posted:

Also the comic literally goes "You thought this would be a Peter Parker story? Nuh-uh, it's about Flash Thompson!" and Flash Thompson turns out to be awesome and cool and rad and strong. I'm willing to give New Super-Man a chance literally solely because he's Asian, but his entire intro came off as tone deaf at best.

I don't think it's tone deaf at all. That's a weird way to feel about them just telling a similar story with a different character type. A more interesting story even.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
There's nothing more tone deaf than a clearly defined character arc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Semper Fudge posted:

There's nothing more tone deaf than a clearly defined character arc.

Come on man, we've seen three or four pages. It's a lost cause. This guy will never change.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I agree that in theory centering the Peter Parker story around Flash Thompson is an interesting one, but from the preview pages I read it felt too on-the-nose and "we're doing Spider-Man but with Flash Thompson" and too much glorification in how much of a total rear end in a top hat Kenan Kong was over just portraying a total rear end in a top hat honestly.

But I don't know for sure. They got me interested enough to pick up the first issue, that's for sure, but a lot of things about the writing of the preview pages rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like "Man this guy's a real loving dick, isn't that rad?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, sounds to me like you're judging a story based on three pages of in character first person narration during a time when the character is clearly not what he's going to eventually turn into. Maybe pump the breaks a little on throwing out terms like tone deaf.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm in the camp where I honestly kind of like reading about people that are assholes, so I'm interested in the concept based solely on that. I think what we saw in the preview is just to make it as clear as possible that he's a bully despite bearing the Superman name.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I loved Superman #2. Superman as a dad is so good I don't know why they took Chris Kent away years ago.

If Batman can have a bunch of kids, why can't Superman?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
I genuinely hope that New Super-Man is still pantsing nerds by the last issue.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Adnor posted:

I loved Superman #2. Superman as a dad is so good I don't know why they took Chris Kent away years ago.

If Batman can have a bunch of kids, why can't Superman?

And if any of Superman's kids happen to come out without superpowers, he can toss them to Bruce for the Robin farm.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd love a Superman who was Silver Age Superdickery Superman.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I can enjoy a story about an rear end in a top hat. I do not think the preview for New Super-Man gives me the feeling he'll be the kinda of rear end in a top hat I would find enjoyable. I will still read at least the first two issues to see though.

These are my DC Comics opinions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

And if any of Superman's kids happen to come out without superpowers, he can toss them to Bruce for the Robin farm.

Does that mean that Damian was in line for superboy training?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There's probably a readably Ok essay/article lurking somewhere in the portrayal of Superman with different racial and ethnic identities in recent years, with President Superman from Morrison, the Gods & Monsters Zod-sired Superman raised by Mexican immigrants, and now the New Super-Man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'll wait a little while and see what other people have to say about New Super-Man before I buy his comic. I understand that a preview isn't indicative of the entire comic let alone the run, but man.....I do not wanna read cape stories about unlikable bullies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's not going to be about an unlikable hero. It's going to be about an unlikable person becoming a likable hero.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Didn't Marvel just do that with Alpha?

I mean, I didn't read the mini-series, but I thought people said in that he was actually likeable as opposed to how he was in Spider-Man.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

bobkatt013 posted:

Does that mean that Damian was in line for superboy training?

Oh now I want stories with Damian and Superman, it would be the opposite of Nightwing and Superman stories because I doubt Damian would be a Supes fanboy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

It's not going to be about an unlikable hero. It's going to be about an unlikable person becoming a likable hero.

Why is your assumption of his character arc any better than Toxx's?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Either way it will last four issues so why care at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Why is your assumption of his character arc any better than Toxx's?

Because his sounds like a comic someone would actually write as opposed to the idea that somehow it will be about the adventures of Super rear end in a top hat who beats people up and is a bully or whatever.