Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

*eye twitches at World of Warships flashback*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Ularg posted:

You never spammed the A button to make your attacks do more damage in Pokemon?

I'm kinda not okay with how much this game wants me to walk into the woods. This is how I walk into every spider web imaginable and piss off a snake or two.

its the opposite it wants you to go to highly crowded areas

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Germstore posted:

So around me there's a bunch of caterpies but few weedles. Can anyone confirm they have the opposite situation?

Definite confirm. I use weedles as exp bait for lucky eggs and have gone through maybe 20-30 Kakuna now. Still don't have enough caterpie bits to make a butterfree from this metapod.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Ularg posted:

You never spammed the A button to make your attacks do more damage in Pokemon?

If this is something they added in later pokemon generations that sucks, but as I currently only ever played the original 150, no I never had to spam anything, it was a somewhat thoughtful turn based strategy.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Nation posted:

Yup. i walked down by the East River in a not highly developed area and there was nothing. I thought there would be water pokemon everywhere.

I also finally saw the HitMonLee I've been stalking and it got away. A wild 600 CP :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Vegastar posted:

Definite confirm. I use weedles as exp bait for lucky eggs and have gone through maybe 20-30 Kakuna now. Still don't have enough caterpie bits to make a butterfree from this metapod.

What do you mean by exp bait for lucky eggs?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Knifegrab posted:

What do you mean by exp bait for lucky eggs?

Stock up on pokemon that are common and cheap to evolve, pop a Lucky Egg, get 1k xp for every evolution that you go through.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You save commons to evolve in batches when you have a lucky egg going to reap a ton of xp and power level. 1000 xp/evolve with lucky egg active.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
The game just softlocked on me while I was trying to catch a wild Wartortle. :smithicide:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Bottom Liner posted:

You save commons to evolve in batches when you have a lucky egg going to reap a ton of xp and power level. 1000 xp/evolve with lucky egg active.

Then combine it with a nice morning walk to a pokespot or if you're really lucky two side by side. Pop lucky egg, an attract module or two, some incense and start evolving and catching poo poo. With 5 minutes to go, break down the new finds and evolve them as well for maximum tryhard efficiency.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

bows1 posted:

Yup. i walked down by the East River in a not highly developed area and there was nothing. I thought there would be water pokemon everywhere.

I also finally saw the HitMonLee I've been stalking and it got away. A wild 600 CP :(

i can get pokemons around where i live but its all just farms surrounding and some little villages and there is nothing, i have no poke balls left without paying for them and yea im not paying for them cos of a flawed concept

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Someone near me found a Drowsee but it didn't show up for anyone else here who had the app open. Then I found a Poliwag and everyone could see it. The person who found the Drowsee wasn't using an Incense. Is this likely server wonkiness or are pokemon not really guaranteed to appear to everyone nearby?

e: Someone's just seen a Pidgey and then a Ratata that no one else got. They're not using an Incense.

avoid doorways fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 11, 2016

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Licarn posted:

Someone near me found a Drowsee but it didn't show up for anyone else here who had the app open. Then I found a Poliwag and everyone could see it. The person who found the Drowsee wasn't using an Incense. Is this likely server wonkiness or are pokemon not really guaranteed to appear to everyone nearby?
I've been playing a lot with my daughter and the only pokes that showed up for me and not for her was when I was a few levels ahead and they were harder ones to catch (yellow/orange circles); my theory based on that is that it can be level dependent. Also it could just be a bug.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The mechanics of this game are obscure as hell.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BlackFrost posted:

The game just softlocked on me while I was trying to catch a wild Wartortle. :smithicide:
Just once? I lose connection about half my catches. Only consolation is it usually doesn't deduct from inventory. On the other hand it often takes the fucker off the map anyway

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

bizwank posted:

I've been playing a lot with my daughter and the only pokes that showed up for me and not for her was when I was a few levels ahead and they were harder ones to catch (yellow/orange circles); my theory based on that is that it can be level dependent. Also it could just be a bug.

I'm higher level than the person who got the Drowsee.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nation posted:

I don't live in a crowded area. I just want them to at least spawn pokemon along the road instead of either in the forest with a bunch of plants and bugs to attack you or a neighbors property.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

man my city is crawling with Drowzees. I have so many

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Took over Pentecostal Church gym. semper red. semper games.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Ularg posted:

I don't live in a crowded area. I just want them to at least spawn pokemon along the road instead of either in the forest with a bunch of plants and bugs to attack you or a neighbors property.

do you have spots or gyms? i don't :(

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Do we know when this is opening up in other countries, by which I mean Canada? I'm like two miles from the border so I feel like one of those kids with their face pressed against the storefront glass every time you jerks get stuff first.

Apparently they're delaying the worldwide release to fix the servers. Considering just how hosed up they were for the first 3 days, it's probably a good call.

If you really want to play, just download the apk if on Android or register a US account on iOS. I'm in Canada and the gyms near me are already up to CP1000 pokemon (while I'm barely breaking 400). A nearby university already has groups organizing lure module grinding, and there's packs of college kids throwing down lures near malls or night markets at 2AM. All for a game that's not even out in Canada yet.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Axetrain posted:

The mechanics of this game are obscure as hell.
There are tips (under the settings button) that answer like half the questions in this thread but as with everything else in this world that has an instruction manual, few bother to read it.

Ularg posted:

Even fictional animals don't live on roads. Where's your sense of adventure??

Licarn posted:

I'm higher level than the person who got the Drowsee.
A bug/server fart is the more likely answer; I can tell you from experience that Niantic will never answer 99% of the questions people have about the game mechanics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bizwank posted:

There was a beta, this feels like a soft opening; get a couple million people playing and see what needs to be tweaked before opening to everyone.

:psyduck:

That's not what a soft launch is and this is absolutely a full launch.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

bizwank posted:

Ingress player for two years; "MU" (mind units) is a unit of measurement in that game which varies based on human density in an given area, data which was provided by Google (where Niantic got it's start). This game is built on the same platform and is using a lot of the same mechanics and locations, just dumbed down and cuted up. It stands to reason that spawn rate would scale to player density so that everyone gets a similar play experience. Anecdotally, a friend who's L20 has captured the bulk of his pokes (well over 500) sitting at home in a 100+ unit condo and hasn't spent a cent. I'm in a single-family neighborhood and see maybe 2-3 a day spawn naturally, if that.

Is this data dynamic or is it just the density based on cell data 3 years ago?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Found a 200 CP Eevee today. Evolved it into a 448 Flareon.

I also found a 300 CP Pikachu and failed to catch a Nidoking! The gently caress actually ran away after I had only thrown three balls, two of which he knocked down and one he broke out of.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

lol, the pokegym closest to me is in a german war cemetery.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
its weird cuz i live in a pretty big apartment complex and there's jack and poo poo for spawns, even though we have a pokestop at the entrance to the complex. i walk like a minute away across the bridge and suddenly more rattata and pidgeys than i know what to do with

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Evil Fluffy posted:

:psyduck:

oh don't mind me, I'm just over here launching softly to tens of millions of people

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

If this is something they added in later pokemon generations that sucks, but as I currently only ever played the original 150, no I never had to spam anything, it was a somewhat thoughtful turn based strategy.

It's not a real thing in any Pokemon game.

You can, however, pet your Pokemon and feed them cupcakes in the newest games.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Rurutia posted:

Is this data dynamic or is it just the density based on cell data 3 years ago?
Niantic split from Google at least a year ago so probably historic data; population density doesn't swing that far that fast though so it's probably still accurate enough for a video game.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It wasn't intended to be a soft launch but that's obviously what they should have done; a full launch would include all of the countries that they plan to be in not just a small percentage. Semantics though, call it what feels right to you. I think we can all agree it's been a shitshow.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How does this game handle Z axis? Like tall buildings and such?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Nation posted:

do you have spots or gyms? i don't :(

Nope! I'd have to take a 15 minute drive at least to get somewhere semi populated. 30 minutes to get to a mall.

bizwank posted:

Even fictional animals don't live on roads. Where's your sense of adventure??

At the store picking up some more hydrocortisone cream. :colbert:

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm trying to walk around and catch pokemon and level up, but I will definitely never be able to compete with the people around here who constantly go dropping lures and capturing gyms in large groups. I really need to meet some blue team players around here or at least attempt to convince my friends to start playing this dumb game.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Okay, maybe I didn't actually lose all the stuff that got stuck on the closed ball screen. I looked at the Journal page and actually a bunch of them are showing in there that I thought I lost. Also I logged in and got a level up when it opened

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
The apartment on the other side of the block from me has been Luring for like 48 hours straight. How much money is this guy/girl spending.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

IncendiaC posted:

Apparently they're delaying the worldwide release to fix the servers. Considering just how hosed up they were for the first 3 days, it's probably a good call.

If you really want to play, just download the apk if on Android or register a US account on iOS. I'm in Canada and the gyms near me are already up to CP1000 pokemon (while I'm barely breaking 400). A nearby university already has groups organizing lure module grinding, and there's packs of college kids throwing down lures near malls or night markets at 2AM. All for a game that's not even out in Canada yet.

How about you stop? No wonder the servers are hosed if everyone in the world is elbowing to get into something only designed for certain regions to use right now.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bob A Feet posted:

Anything good in the sneaky freaky? I found a lot of stuff in jacksonville and I imagine Wilmington is crawling with stuff

Have not wandered much. Was in downtown Wilmington this afternoon but it was the standard commons; I didn't see any rares. I think the possible ones included scyther. I think I just have bad luck /dont walk around enough

RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
I do wish they had a better leveling up/evolving system and made capturing their evolved forms much more rare. The original evolving through battle experience was great and much more fair in terms of the areas people have access to.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

bows1 posted:

The apartment on the other side of the block from me has been Luring for like 48 hours straight. How much money is this guy/girl spending.

A bar in town did that this weekend, very clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm trying to walk around and catch pokemon and level up, but I will definitely never be able to compete with the people around here who constantly go dropping lures and capturing gyms in large groups. I really need to meet some blue team players around here or at least attempt to convince my friends to start playing this dumb game.
Everyone benefits from lures, they aren't team specific. Find one and milk it. Aside from gym battles I haven't seen/heard hardly anyone caring about teams, especially at stop/lure gatherings.

• Locked thread