Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

:qq: b-b-b-b-but congress, how am i supposed to allow indiana's corporations to completely exploit the entirety of the state's population that makes less than six figures a year if you won't step in and help? i'm only one governor, and i can only do so much to advance their interests to the detriment of literally everything else :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

homeless poster posted:

you don't make a face-to-face meeting to discuss your favorite brand of ketchup at the hotdog vendor onsite at the arena.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

MaxNV posted:

CNN is legit advertising both conventions like they are PPV wrestling events. It's incredible to watch.

If the NeverTrumps make any headway, at least one of them might be.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
There is no loving way that Mike Pence, the incumbent governor of Indiana who stands a good chance of re-election and could probably run a pretty successful presidential campaign, is going to piss that all away so that he can have a 99% chance of losing with Trump and a 1% chance of being the vice president in history's most dysfunctional presidency

there's also no loving way in hell that trump forgives pence endorsing cruz

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Slate Action posted:

Pence can just 'change his mind' about TPP if that comes up. What is Hillary going to do, accuse Pence of flip-flopping on TPP in the past year when she's done the exact same thing?

yeah - a little bit (or, exactly) like newt did with his previous support of NAFTA.

I just can't WAIT for the chapter on the VP selection cmte vetting process in the future tell-alls

homeless poster posted:

:qq: b-b-b-b-but congress, how am i supposed to allow indiana's corporations to completely exploit the entirety of the state's population that makes less than six figures a year if you won't step in and help? i'm only one governor, and i can only do so much to advance their interests to the detriment of literally everything else :smith:

he's still no brownback :shrug:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MaxNV posted:

CNN is legit advertising both conventions like they are PPV wrestling events. It's incredible to watch.

Justified.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
Does Pence have any sort of intelligence or guile? I've never seen him speak but he looks like a squinting dimwit in every picture and his policies don't suggest otherwise.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bunleigh posted:

Does Pence have any sort of intelligence or guile? I've never seen him speak but he looks like a squinting dimwit in every picture and his policies don't suggest otherwise.

It's fine, Trump's guileful enough for the both of them.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
gently caress you and your boring rear end vp pick trump. the people demand newt!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

okay what should I know about this pence guy and why was it really stupid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ostentatious posted:

He's basically a fundie Hoosier Scott Walker who compared Obamacare to a national disaster on the same level as 9/11.

I don't think he adds anything to the ticket besides the whole experience arguement, given how fundie voters are pretty much GOP now.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Civilized Fishbot posted:

There is no loving way that Mike Pence, the incumbent governor of Indiana who stands a good chance of re-election and could probably run a pretty successful presidential campaign, is going to piss that all away so that he can have a 99% chance of losing with Trump and a 1% chance of being the vice president in history's most dysfunctional presidency

My thoughts as well. It seems like a strange choice for him to make.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nooooo don't pick Pence, the IN GOP will run some wolf in sheep's clothing again and we'll be hosed for another cycle nioniofgoneroeobneobneobni3o

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-38vmqE3IxI&t=13s

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

William Bear posted:

my personal impression is that Pence wants the news/speculation to spread so that his name gets out there as a respectable big-name republican, but he won't take it because he's not a dummy

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

William Bear posted:

Real talk Pence is just a guy with all of Cruz's negatives and like none of his positives. Cruz was a weird dude but he had a huge amount of TEA party cred and national experience and he won some states in a really hard primary and he was good at staying on message even if he had this weird tendency to quote movies like the huge nerd that he was. Pence is just a weak governor who the whole country only knows because he hates da gayz and that seems like a weak foundation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can't decide if Ohio or Indiana win the misery contest

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pence is every bit as bad as Brownback, albeit a bit more evangelical than Randian though plenty of that

Indiana just doesn't have as long a history of rubber stamping insane far right shitlords so he's be stymied

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ostentatious posted:

He got real popular a bit ago when he was backing his state's anti-gay legislation, or something like that, and caught alot of poo poo when companies threatened to leave the state.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

William Bear posted:

Addendum: I wrote this post under the assumption that things still matter.

If the inverse is true, please disregard.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

William Bear posted:

Addendum: I wrote this post under the assumption that things still matter.

If the inverse is true, please disregard.

Come now we all know that loving nothing matters. Trump is floating names for VP of people he didn't even god drat ask first. NOTHING MATTERS.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Also there's no obvious or great successor to Pence if he leaves, meaning that the Indiana GOP will have to hastily throw together a real primary and have a lot harder time keeping the governorship. If Pence takes this job, he will forever bear the stench of Trump, the stench of loser VP candidate, and the stench of the guy who hosed over the Indiana GOP. And he's only 57, so those could actually sabotage a future run for senator or president or vice president

no loving way he accepts the vp nom

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pence is only on the list so that Trump doesn't get non-stop phone calls from party leaders and donors begging him to choose someone sane. He's a shield

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I don't give a Trump/Pence gently caress about your moral conundrum, you meat-headed poo poo-sack.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The #1 reason I think Pence isn't the pick is that Pence would have to resign by the 14th for the IN GOP to run a new candidate, meaning Trump's VP pick would be announced before the RNC, which he would never tolerate.

Though the best case scenario would be Pence resigning only to get snubbed at the RNC for some loving lunatic VP

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

blue squares posted:

Pence is only on the list so that Trump doesn't get non-stop phone calls from party leaders and donors begging him to choose someone sane. He's a shield

Calls are going to go into overdrive Tuesday evening then.

Man, its hard finding a running mate for the "say everything to please everyone" candidate when all the options have had to make actual real decisions in their careers.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Epic High Five posted:

The #1 reason I think Pence isn't the pick is that Pence would have to resign by the 14th for the IN GOP to run a new candidate, meaning Trump's VP pick would be announced before the RNC, which he would never tolerate.

Though the best case scenario would be Pence resigning only to get snubbed at the RNC for some loving lunatic VP

His claim is that he wants to announce it before the convention so that he isn't overshadowed by anyone else during the convention. I think Corker said he'd announce by the 15th, but who knows.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Throwing Turtles posted:

So I have a stupid question about the convention that till now has probably never mattered. How long does it take to set up and how much can be done last minute? Does Trump delaying mean that speakers are going to be scrounging for hotel rooms or sleeping on cots in Christie's room?

A convention requires ~X people, therefore you book ~X rooms. No need to know in advance who these people are.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

homeless poster posted:

you don't make a face-to-face meeting to discuss your favorite brand of ketchup at the hotdog vendor onsite at the arena.

Trump hates hot dog vendors.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/752288687375822848

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

So either its decided or he's just really, really lazy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

or he really did pick himself to be veep.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

this is honestly the main reason i dont think its pence. He would lose everything for little gain on a bullshit risk.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On the fundamental level why would anyone want Trump as a boss?

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/752292894107664386
that's... that's actually maybe true?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

etalian posted:

On the fundamental level why would anyone want Trump as a boss?

Better stop acting up Mike or I'm gonna take the fat picture out and make you look at it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

or he really did pick himself to be veep.

shiksa posted:

So either its decided or he's just really, really lazy

Read that tweet phrasing backwards and it's obvious.

It's Ivanka :getin:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I did enjoy the story of Trump sending Christie on a Micky D's run.

also his recent comments might cost him funding support from GOP sheriffs

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-comments-intensify-concerns-among-republican-donors-1468155601

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 11, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pence really does not like gay people

quote:

In 2000, Pence stated “Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual's [sic]as a ‘discreet [sic] and insular minority’ entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities.” He called for “an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organisations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus” and instead advocated that resources be directed towards conversion therapy programs.

Pence has said that homosexuals should not serve in the military, saying "Homosexuality is incompatible with military service because the presence of homosexuals in the ranks weakens unit cohesion" and in 2010 stated that repealing Don't ask, don't tell would "have an impact on unit cohesion." Pence opposed the 2009 Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act, saying that Obama wanted to "advance a radical social agenda"and said that pastors "could be charged or be subject to intimidation for simply expressing a Biblical worldview on the issue of homosexual behavior."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Pence really does not like gay people
I know Hillary hasn't exactly been the most consistently outspoken friend of the LGBT community, but has she ever endorsed conversion therapy?

• Locked thread