Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Accordion Man posted:

NOW TIME ADVANCE!

And yeah the Dracula X version dub of SOTN was the definition of "more accurate but more lifeless" type of translation. (Though original SOTN's translation was pretty jank, I'll defend the voices themselves though, Alucard and Dracula's fit well.)

The translation is mostly fine, even! It's just overly ornate and formal, which was probably deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

It's too bad....you're not Walter!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Lord DraculaaaaaaaaaAAAAA!!!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The translation is mostly fine, even! It's just overly ornate and formal, which was probably deliberate.
I remember some parts were just clunky, like Alucard's line to his dad where's like, "Think you I would forget such a thing?"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
*sexy moans of death*

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My favourite line lost in the retranslation is "'For what profit is it to a man, if he gains the world yet loses his own soul?' Matthew 16:26, I believe...."

There were some clunky bits, but some cool ones. It could've used a polishing instead of a full re-do.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

alcharagia posted:

You can't hit me

Showtime. :smuggo:

Go to hell. :commissar: SHOOOORE

Lemon-Lime posted:

In general, sound folio stuff like character grunts gets added way later in development, so she'll eventually not be silent.

That's what I meant by acknolwedging it was too early for that, it's just weird.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 27, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hammer Bro. posted:

Just to make sure I understand things correctly, the primary reason everyone cares about back-dashes is because they can be used to move you ever-so-slightly faster, correct? Does anyone even use them for dodging?

I'm not sure I want to add an extra button to the game I'm working on for a feature I never much used. Especially when slide-kick-jumping works just fine in the moves-faster department.

I used to use it to dodge. There were a lot of enemies who had attacks that lined up to the backdash distance, some of the Armor enemies I would beat by doing hit, dash, hit hit dash or something like that. Also helps that dashes can attack cancel sometimes.

Depends on the game though since they all have different properties. In Harmony of Dissonance dashes are just how you walk

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

One-off, unobtrusive or very well-placed lines or shouts are fine. Enemies or bosses calling out the name of every attack they use, or player characters shouting with every attack, however, can be really frustrating.

Yup, my bad.

There was a PS2 game by Sega and I think it was Shining Force that was a sort of isometric ARPG with different abilities and skills you could use

Every ability had a voice line and some of them were very long. So you have like a fullscreen blizzard attack you're spamming and just hear WIND AND ICE STRIKE MY FOE WIND AND ICE STRIKE MY FOE WIND AND ICE STRIKE MY FOE

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Star Ocean 2 also had that and it was horrendous and great

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There was a PS2 game by Sega and I think it was Shining Force that was a sort of isometric ARPG with different abilities and skills you could use

Every ability had a voice line and some of them were very long. So you have like a fullscreen blizzard attack you're spamming and just hear WIND AND ICE STRIKE MY FOE WIND AND ICE STRIKE MY FOE WIND AND ICE STRIKE MY FOE

When you play Albus mode in OoE, the soundtrack is replaced with an endless string of OPTICAL SHOT! MAX SHOT!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shining Force has a history with poorly-voiced ice spells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrlM3nYzFg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

alcharagia posted:

You can't hit me

quote:

When you play Albus mode in OoE, the soundtrack is replaced with an endless string of OPTICAL SHOT! MAX SHOT!

OPTICAL SHOT
OPTICAL SHOT
OPTICAL- MAX SHOT
OPTICAL SHOT

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 27, 2016

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Going back to dodging for a sec:

I've got standard backward-dodging, which provides invincibility frames and is slightly faster than walking. Just like in Order of Ecclesia, alternating attacks is faster than repeating the same button. I've also got Smash Bros. style directional and midair dodging, because I like it.

Dodges cancel attacks, and attacks (or jumps) cancel dodges. But, in keeping consistent with OoE, jumps do not cancel attacks.

https://vimeo.com/172410972

Anything else I'm missing with regard to dodge functionality?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

RBA Starblade posted:

OPTICAL SHOT
OPTICAL SHOT
OPTICAL- MAX SHOT
OPTICAL SHOT

Best thing about playing it on a romcart (I own the original cart :v: ) was using a cheat code to force Japanese VAs. Which also works for Altus mode.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

Best thing about playing it on a romcart (I own the original cart :v: ) was using a cheat code to force Japanese VAs. Which also works for Altus mode.

that is an option in the sound menu, you don't need a cheat code or a flash cart.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Phantasium posted:

I will take your shadow!

*bows*

This is what I always think of more so that SotN when IO think of Castlevania voice acting. And for the record the redone voice work in Dracula X was kind of a disappointment for me too. I missed the cheesy redisulousness of the original.

"You seem familiar and yet.. What do you here?"

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

that is an option in the sound menu, you don't need a cheat code or a flash cart.

Albus mode doesn't have a sound menu. Hitting start just pauses the game. Portrait of Ruins side characters did the same thing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

PSWII60 posted:

This is what I always think of more so that SotN when IO think of Castlevania voice acting. And for the record the redone voice work in Dracula X was kind of a disappointment for me too. I missed the cheesy redisulousness of the original.

"You seem familiar and yet.. What do you here?"

Ah, Belmont, son of Belmont.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Albus mode doesn't have a sound menu. Hitting start just pauses the game. Portrait of Ruins side characters did the same thing.

you just change the settings on the main game menu

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Star Ocean 2 also had that and it was horrendous and great

PEAR INTO PEACHES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVFaxvO4zA

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Hivac posted:

you just change the settings on the main game menu

Which would be great. Except you can't.

Trust me, it was the first place I looked and this was eight years ago. :v:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fh86TzZRhk

Some people have datamined the Bloodstained demo and found other weapon data.

Types included: Whip, Katana, Great Sword, Club, and Rifles.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That looks more like the Joker's gun than any rifle.
Love the stance for it and the whip.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The hand on the hip and the rifle spin, I love it.

I also like how she's leaning over for the Great Sword and the Club, really sells their weight. And even if I know i'm just going to cancel it, I love the elaborate animation for putting the katana away

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
So this game is all but confirmed to have the Crissaegrim, right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It'll probably have a variation of the Crissaegrim/Val Manwe yeah.

(It still tickles me how people bitched for years about how the original translation "inserted" LOTR references, only for it to turn out that whoops they were there the whole time!)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope there's even more Silmarillion references.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
You receive a key item to unlock a bonus area called The Lay of L*****en.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a translated interview IGA did with a Japanese website at E3: http://www.gamespark.jp/article/2016/06/21/66788.html

quote:

- This is your first playable showing. Though short, the demo felt very polished.

IGA: The graphics have been brought up to level we’re aiming for. Also, the map is not linear, but rather we designed it with exploration in mind. I’m hoping players will end up wandering, if only a bit. That said, the tutorial wasn’t good enough, and people ended up taking more time to clear it than I’d anticipated. I’m going to make a better tutorial for the finished product.

- I see. The game system – attacks, equipment and such - is also done, it seems.

IGA: The main system this time around is called the shard [system]. You absorb crystals from enemies and use [their] skills. There is one that forcibly drops in the demo which belongs to a type [of skill] called “directional” - you can set the direction of the attack with the R stick.

You can use it while running. And it’s kind of tough to do, but you can also use it downwards while in the air.

There are several different items. [As far as items go] we have weapons, headgear, body armor and accessories, and weapons and headgear are reflected in the in-game visuals. In this showing, if you equip the kung-fu shoes weapon, your attacks become kicks. For the kicks’ sound effects, we made an effort to have them sound like a Jackie Chan movie. Also, like the series I previously worked on, there are hidden rooms in the demo, too.

- By the way, how will the story be represented visually? There wasn’t much of it in the demo.

IGA: Since we have the advantage of using 3D, we’ll be using cut-scenes with shifting camera angles – like the cut-scene for the boss fight you saw. That said, it would be pretty tough to do all of it this way, so some parts will juast have 2D illustrations with dialogue. Also, we worked really hard on the shader for this installment, and while the backgrounds are realistic-looking, the characters look like illustrations with their outline. So, I’m hoping to deliver anime-like cut-scenes.

- The boss shown was pretty grotesque.

IGA: The pretty girl on top of the boss is a decoy, while the bottom half is real creature. It leads you to think the pretty girl’s drowning and then gobbles you up when you get close. It’s kind of like an angler fish’s lantern. The main mechanics and systems are done, so now we’re starting mass production of the map, items and such.

- How much content are you planning?

IGA: Well, the thing is I promised my Kickstarter backers, so the map will be made up of 1600 individual screens. 1600 is a bit much, but that’s my commitment and you won’t be disappointed. I’m estimating 10 hours for the initial play-through. That said, there’s loads of replay value with treasure and shards to collect, a map to complete, and such, so it’ll keep you busy for a long time. What’s more, since alchemy’s our theme this time around, the idea's to include things like an alchemy item completion list and such.

- How far along is development?

IGA: We’re still at around 10% right now. We’re done with the main mechanics and basic system, and we’re about to start mass production.

- You’re developing for lots of different platforms, too.

IGA: We’re on Xbox One, PC, PS4, WiiU and Vita. Inti Creates is doing the home console versions, while the WiiU and Vita ports are being done by a company in Texas called Armature. It’s the company behind the game ReCore that’s being shown here in E3. My biggest concern is the recent development that the NX is coming soon, so I’m worried about the WiiU version.

- Might you be releasing an NX version too, then?

IGA: Even if we were to do so, I’d ask my backers for their opinion first. I mean, this project wouldn’t have even gotten off the ground without my backers. What’s more, for a Kickstarter you normally make a demo like the one we showed here today and then ask for money, but we just offered a broad outline of the game and put out a crazy video (*laughs*). They contributed despite all this, so I’m truly grateful. I’d like to take their opinion into account as much as possible.

- I see. In Japan, before Igarashi-san, people like Inafune-san began doing projects through Kickstarter after having gone independent. Do you think this development trend will continue?

IGA: I don’t think there’ll be many AAA titles done this way. That said, we have an environment right now where this style of game development is easier than before. For instance, Microsoft let us show the game at their E3 booth. With the platform holders supporting indy games, the market is beginning to take shape. So, while a big-budget project is still tough, it’s still quite possible to create the kind of games that traditional gamers are looking for and turn a profit at the same time. In Japan, the mainstream has shifted to social games, but I think people will eventually want more from games. When that happens, I would hope this type of game is there for people as a gateway. So it’s kind of wishful thinking on my part, but I hope the current situation continues.

- This playable demo was presented overseas. When will we see the game next?

IGA: Given the opportunity, I’d like to show it at lots of different venues. That said, it would be really difficult to make a demo with more than this one, so it might be the same. Also, we’re delivering the current version to the backers who gave us 60 dollars or more. That said, it needs to be a more polished version than this one, so it’s taking a bit more time.

- Please do show the playable demo in Japan. Thank you very much.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I love the "series I previously worked on" name-dodging.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there a citeable source for the translation?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Ah, Belmont, son of Belmont.

I liked that line because it's Dracula saying "All you belmonts look the same to me, who cares which one you are."

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hey so Project AM2R apparently releases next month http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/09/metroid-ii-fan-remake-project-am2r-releasing-soon/

been following this poo poo for drat near a decade now so I'm pretty stoked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
That's a fantastic interview- it's great to see him acknowledging limitations in the demo and discussing what parts of the development process are going to be challenges.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Zaggitz posted:

Hey so Project AM2R apparently releases next month http://www.siliconera.com/2016/07/09/metroid-ii-fan-remake-project-am2r-releasing-soon/

been following this poo poo for drat near a decade now so I'm pretty stoked.

Am I the only one who thinks it's foolish to announce you're about to release a fan-remake? That's just begging for Nintendo to finally spring the C&D trap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's foolish to announce you're about to release a fan-remake? That's just begging for Nintendo to finally spring the C&D trap.

Nintendo is unlikely to spring the C&D trap unless they attempt to turn a profit off it in some fashion. It's not worth the PR trouble.

Most of the big "Nintendo is shutting us down" stuff is people who are attempting to make money off it in some fashion, or else releasing something that is a direct competitor to something Nintendo is marketing and selling. Most companies are not eager to shut down fan projects if they can avoid it because it's a lot of PR trouble and badwill for little benefit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo is unlikely to spring the C&D trap unless they attempt to turn a profit off it in some fashion. It's not worth the PR trouble.

b..but...project m

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ImpAtom posted:

Nintendo is unlikely to spring the C&D trap unless they attempt to turn a profit off it in some fashion.
This has been regularly wrong for most cases of fan projects being shut down in the past. Profit isn't a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Streets of Rage Remake :(