Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Krafty posted:

If Mocking Bird is referring to PSLF then the balance forgiveness is not taxed as income (this is a major difference between the PSLF program and the general IBR/PAYE forgiveness programs). I don't know what other forgiveness program would be 10 years (unless it's some employer specific program or something - in which case it probably would be taxed.)

Indeed I am. I'm a government social worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:canada: here so our poo poo isn't as hosed up as the US yet, but echoing the sentiment that attitude and habit can trump a single dollar figure. My wife graduated with 30k of loans and negative career prospects (class of '09, ahoy!) but worked what odd jobs she could to make payments, lived within her means, and wasn't expecting me to pay it for her even after we were married. I super lucky having bagged a full scholarship and steady employment, so I took a loan to pay them off at a really good rate (last payment made this month, too :toot:). There's more to it than just finances, obviously, but it's something that should be considered. If she had less debt and horrible habits (like her dropout-and-skip-the-country sibling) or owed a quarter mil for the same humanities degree things might have been different, but you can't (or shouldn't, anyways) make decisions like that in a vacuum.

Also gently caress my mobile connection timed out before posting a couple hours ago, hope the winds haven't shifted too much since then!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Guest2553 posted:

:canada: here so our poo poo isn't as hosed up as the US yet, but echoing the sentiment that attitude and habit can trump a single dollar figure. My wife graduated with 30k of loans and negative career prospects (class of '09, ahoy!) but worked what odd jobs she could to make payments, lived within her means, and wasn't expecting me to pay it for her even after we were married. I super lucky having bagged a full scholarship and steady employment, so I took a loan to pay them off at a really good rate (last payment made this month, too :toot:). There's more to it than just finances, obviously, but it's something that should be considered. If she had less debt and horrible habits (like her dropout-and-skip-the-country sibling) or owed a quarter mil for the same humanities degree things might have been different, but you can't (or shouldn't, anyways) make decisions like that in a vacuum.

Also gently caress my mobile connection timed out before posting a couple hours ago, hope the winds haven't shifted too much since then!

Paying a Canadian cell phone provider or ISP is BWM. I don't understand how so many industries in Canada are more consumer-friendly than the US, but Internet and cell phones are significantly cheaper and better literally everywhere in the U.S.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

It doesn't matter what their income might eventually be, spending based not on their current income is BWM.

Everyone on commission in finance seek out doctors as clients for a reason. High (potential) income + smartest person in the room syndrome = sucker.

Are there people on commission in finance that don't seek out clients with hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual income? That seems like a pretty obvious route to success but what do I know

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Paying a Canadian cell phone provider or ISP is BWM. I don't understand how so many industries in Canada are more consumer-friendly than the US, but Internet and cell phones are significantly cheaper and better literally everywhere in the U.S.

My understanding is that things like cell towers are fixed costs and that you need one to cover every x square miles/km. You then spread that cost across your subscriber base. Basically, the larger and less populated your country the more expensive it is to service. The United States actually has it much worse then smaller, higher density countries in Europe and Asia.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Are there people on commission in finance that don't seek out clients with hundreds of thousands of dollars in annual income? That seems like a pretty obvious route to success but what do I know
The key part is the attitude of the doctors. They generally think that because they got into med school, they know everything about everything. And people like that are easy marks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

If she had less debt and horrible habits (like her dropout-and-skip-the-country sibling) or owed a quarter mil for the same humanities degree things might have been different, but you can't (or shouldn't, anyways) make decisions like that in a vacuum.

Just curious, what country did she skip off to? We've had some examples in this thread of people going to Europe to escape debt, but boy it would be much easier if all you had to do was cross the largest unprotected border in the world. It worked for the draft, why not student loans.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My understanding is that things like cell towers are fixed costs and that you need one to cover every x square miles/km. You then spread that cost across your subscriber base. Basically, the larger and less populated your country the more expensive it is to service. The United States actually has it much worse then smaller, higher density countries in Europe and Asia.

80% of Canada's population lives in a few fairly dense metro areas. The Canadian population is much denser than the U.S. as a whole. Yet, even in major cities like Toronto, the internet and cell phone options, quality, and prices, are significantly worse than 95% of the U.S.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That's the telco's going argument, but they never mention that the vast majority of Canada's landmass has no cell coverage.

Plus bullshit like charging upwards of five bucks a month for caller ID.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's hotel wifi, for reference :v: The only way I'll carry a cell phone in Canada is if it's a work issued one. The world would be better off if every shitheel decision maker in the big 3 dropped dead. My home phone/internet is bought from a 3rd party supplier because they aren't as awful.

And the in-law ended spirited off to a Caribbean island. They've since returned to the country, bought a large dog, and constantly complain about money being tight. So it goes.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

The key part is the attitude of the doctors. They generally think that because they got into med school, they know everything about everything. And people like that are easy marks.

I wonder if doctors are truly BWM compared to other similarly high earning professionals or if it's just such a compelling man bites dog narrative to seize on every time a doctor makes a dumb investment or a failed business venture

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Likely the latter. If, as he says, they think they know everything about everything, how can they be easy marks? If we're stereotyping, if doctors have a flaw it's that they don't loving listen and you can't change their mind. Among other things, med school teaches people to be decisive, not waffling self-doubters.

Not sure how that makes them easy to bamboozle but goons find a way to convince themselves they're superior to everyone.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

High Lord Elbow posted:

Likely the latter. If, as he says, they think they know everything about everything, how can they be easy marks? If we're stereotyping, if doctors have a flaw it's that they don't loving listen and you can't change their mind. Among other things, med school teaches people to be decisive, not waffling self-doubters.

Not sure how that makes them easy to bamboozle but goons find a way to convince themselves they're superior to everyone.

How does somebody who thinks they know everything about everything NOT sound like an easy mark? That sounds like the easiest sort of mark there is.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
"Hey you should buy this managed fund..."

"gently caress you, I know what I want."

"It has a potential upside of 40% if you..."

"Why are you still here? gently caress off."

Oh yeah, easy marks. Very malleable.

April
Jul 3, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

"you know, I have this managed fund that does really well, but most people aren't smart enough to see the potential. But since you're a doctor and far more educated, you might appreciate this..."

Easy.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I wonder if doctors are truly BWM compared to other similarly high earning professionals or if it's just such a compelling man bites dog narrative to seize on every time a doctor makes a dumb investment or a failed business venture
If you've ever known the joy of teaching PreMed or Med school students, you would get to witness first-hand the arrogant know-it-all attitude.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Mocking Bird posted:

What's the number that turns student loans from "dang that sucks but ok" to "dump the motherfucker already" for folks in this thread? Is it a percentage of salary going to repayment, state vs federal...?

I have federal student loans with a balance equal to my yearly salary, with about 6% of my gross salary going to (income based) repayment, and a 10 year forgiveness plan that's likely to take out about half of my balance. It never even occurred to me it might be a deal breaker, but I realize if I met someone with equal debt who was managing it differently I might consider it unworkable.

For me, It isn't a number on debt, it wouldn't even be the 300k of debt, but the 8k of credit card money owed that would make me run away. Those things together show a person with a fundamental dangerous failure to understand money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I personally know a surgeon, who is this exact stereotype. Guy somehow thinks himself to be the king poo poo of everything, because of his superior doctor education. He negotiated $300/month for 2 cellphones, which I didn't even know was physically possible. Then hired cheapest people on craigslist to refinish his hardwood floors, because "it's a total monkey job, and not rocket science". The finish is peeling off in high traffic areas, because surprise, they didn't do any loving prepwork. He also build himself a smoker out of some garbage barrel, tries to brew his own beer, distill own alcohol and is now experimenting with homemade fireworks. Other than fireworks, he has completely failed in all of the above. I hope his patients are alive and well.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's not just doctors, it's prevalent in any group of very smart or very educated people. Most people have a hard time recognizing that while they might be very knowledgeable in one subject, their knowledge is specialized and doesn't apply to everything.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

High Lord Elbow posted:

Jim Collins posted:

You, too, can be conned

I made an enemy this week.

She is the widow of an old friend. Before he died, I promised to try to look out for her a bit.

During our recent conversation she said I made her feel small. She said I made her feel stupid. There were tears. I’m very likely guilty on both counts. I’m not always tactful. But, hopefully, I saved her two million dollars.

Her husband died a while back. Over the years he worked hard and had accumulated the aforementioned $2,000,000. He loved his wife dearly and he knew he would very likely leave her a widow. The money was an act of love. He wanted to be sure she would be financially secure.

But he also knew three things that scared him no end:

His wife believed in the “free lunch.” That is, she was always open to come-ons. Free cell phones were an example. Every time their cell phone contract expired the provider offered a “free” cell phone which she proudly grabbed. Somehow she seemed to miss the two year contract it locked them into, over and over again. While small potatoes, it is a bad sign.

The world is filled with predators looking for precisely people like her.

Money and this belief in the “free lunch” attracts them like sharks to blood in the water.

It was this topic that set me off and brought her to tears. I was trying to gently coax her into appreciating the risk. She is a very bright woman and seemed to understand. But then she said, “Don’t worry. I can’t be conned.”

“With that you have,” I said (and by this point my voice I fear was raised) “just violated the first rule of not being conned!”

Make no mistake. You can be conned. So can I.

. . .

Rule #1: Everybody can be conned. Certainly stupid people are marks. But so are the exceptionally bright. The moment you start to think that it can’t happen to you, you’ve become a most attractive target. The easiest victims are those that think they are too smart, too knowledgeable to be taken. This means you, bucko.

Rule #2: You are likely to be conned in an area of your expertise. The reason is simple: Targeting and Ego. When con men pick a scam they look for people to whom it will naturally appeal. Those are people in the field. People feel secure and safe in those areas they know well. They believe they will be too smart to be caught unawares. Smart people know the areas they don’t know and tend to be far more cautious there. Most of Bernie Madoff’s victims were financial professionals.

Rule #3: Con men (and women) don’t look like con men. This isn’t the movies. They’re not going to have slouch hats pulled low over their shifty eyes. Successful con men look like the safest, most trust-worthy, most honest, most stable, most comforting people imaginable. You won’t see them coming. Or rather you will, and you’ll be warmly welcoming them.

Rule #4: 99% of what they say will be true. The best, most effective lies are surrounded by truth. Buried in it. The con, the thing that will leave you broke and with a real reason to cry, is carefully hidden. It is deep in the proverbial fine print.

Rule #5: If it looks too good to be true, it is. There is no free lunch. Not ever. Your Mama taught you this. She was right.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

High Lord Elbow posted:

Not sure how that makes them easy to bamboozle but we goons find a way to convince ourselves we're superior to everyone.

ftfy, fat goon elbow

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My neighbors are GWM: instead of a ridiculous wedding and reception they bought their house last summer and are getting married in their backyard today, catered by a taco truck.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

My neighbors are GWM: instead of a ridiculous wedding and reception they bought their house last summer and are getting married in their backyard today, catered by a taco truck.

Wrong thread.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Wait so how did he save her from losing 2 million dollars, i was waiting for the shifty con man to try to sell her land in Tennessee or something.

From the sounds of it they were having a nice simple conversation and she mentioned she can keep from being conned and he went off on her calling her a dumb bitch until she broke down in tears. And then he's all like "Heh, guess you learned your lesson."

edit: This was probably at her husband's funeral too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's people that are BWM in all positions. The only group that comes to mind that I've noticed is GWM pretty much across the board is engineers. No idea why, but they seem to listen to advice, consult multiple resources, and then decide on their strategies. The worst from my experience has been anyone that earns about 80k a year no matter what position/job they have. They tend to spend like millionaires.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Wait so how did he save her from losing 2 million dollars, i was waiting for the shifty con man to try to sell her land in Tennessee or something.

From the sounds of it they were having a nice simple conversation and she mentioned she can keep from being conned and he went off on her calling her a dumb bitch until she broke down in tears. And then he's all like "Heh, guess you learned your lesson."

edit: This was probably at her husband's funeral too.

Its just a poor segue into what he wanted to actually write an article about. There's no resolution or clarification.

The fact he broke up the quote at "With that you have" instead of "With that" also bugs me irrationally.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Its just a poor segue into what he wanted to actually write an article about. There's no resolution or clarification.

The fact he broke up the quote at "With that you have" instead of "With that" also bugs me irrationally.

Yeah, the example he uses is lovely. The parts I bolded are on point though.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's people that are BWM in all positions. The only group that comes to mind that I've noticed is GWM pretty much across the board is engineers. No idea why, but they seem to listen to advice, consult multiple resources, and then decide on their strategies. The worst from my experience has been anyone that earns about 80k a year no matter what position/job they have. They tend to spend like millionaires.

I'd agree, but a substantial chunk of the survivalists I know are or were engineers. Of course, once TSHTF, their gold bars and cans of beans will have been the most prudent investment of all...

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Are they going to beat looters to death with the gold bars? That'll be about the only use for them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'd agree, but a substantial chunk of the survivalists I know are or were engineers. Of course, once TSHTF, their gold bars and cans of beans will have been the most prudent investment of all...

Over half of these Reddit personal finance stories involve software or structural engineers.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Are they going to beat looters to death with the gold bars? That'll be about the only use for them.

Solid gold bullets. Just in case a werewolf from royalty shows up and requires more than silver.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Over half of these Reddit personal finance stories involve software or structural engineers.
Yeah engineers are especially prone in my opinion, because they are all about finding optimized solutions but tend to ignore external factors. They're also prone to having poo poo political opinions, but I think that's more of a "I did all this by my own force of will and talent, anybody that can't must be lazy or stupid :smuggo:"

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

Uncle Enzo posted:

One of my coworkers keeps machetes, crossbows, water bottles, and knives in his car at all times. He can't stop spending money on survivalist gear. It reminds me of this quote, from here:

quote:

Patton Oswalt wrote a piece about how non-Millennials seem far more obsessed with their phones, and my theory is that it’s because we remember when there weren’t phones that could connect to the great itch-scratching internet and fear that, one day, they might be taken away from us, so we’re constantly proving to ourselves that they’re still there, that they still work. All over TV and in the movies, my generation is continuously expressing our greatest fear: that all this shiny technology could disappear some day. For actual Millennials, that idea is as unimaginable as there being no air one day, which is the more likely scenario anyway.

Maybe each generation has its own paranoia, and the next successful industries are the ones that play to those fears the most. We're all easy marks in some way. Right now, pre-millennials have disposable income and have experienced all kinds of technology churn (thanks, dial-up modems and tape decks!), so of course we feel like today's technological wonders could vanish. The logical extension is a growing obsession with "going off the grid" and being prepared for a technology-less post-apocalyptic wasteland.

The next generation will probably be more afraid of AI.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're not an engineer are you? Because that sounds like something an <insert profession> would say about people in their <insert profession>.

I doubt engineers are any smarter with money than other similar professions. They just burn out in less exciting ways.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Something an engineer would say about people in their engineer.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

But then again software engineers are probably dramatically overrepresented on Reddit compared to the population of BWM people.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Is there a profession or field that is resoundingly GWM?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I would have said people who manage money for a living, but Slow Motion pretty conclusively proved that wrong.

EDIT: The truth of the matter is that most countries I know of do a horrendous job of teaching their citizens financial competence.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah but at least some asian countries have high household saving rates, which puts them way ahead of the curve even if they suck rear end at actually investing (which basically everybody is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dustoph posted:

Is there a profession or field that is resoundingly GWM?

Payday lending?

• Locked thread