Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
go dependency management is awful yeah, but pretty much everything else is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

Then there's quaternions, which are basically a completely different way of doing rotations but idk how they apply to other kinds of transforms.

you can go to 'dual quaternions' which are like regular quats except the coefficients are 'dual numbers' which are like complex numbers, except where complex numbers are "a+bi" where "i*i = -1", dual numbers are "a + be" where "e*e = 0, e != 0"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

triple sulk posted:

we should go back to naming languages things like cobol/fortran/delphi/prolog

those names are taken

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
fortunately it's pretty easy to deal with. i'm experimenting with git submoduling my vendor folder and that seems good enough.

there is kind of an upside to this approach: debugging libraries is really really simple. well, it would be if go had decent debugging facilities.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

YeOldeButchere posted:

one of the (few) nice things about quaternions is also that they take less space than rotation matrices: 4 floats instead of 16. that might not seem like a huge deal, but when you have a shitload of them and performance is an issue, it can make a pretty big difference due to one representation fitting in your cache when the other doesn't. it's part of the reason why animation code in games is one of the places where you'll find quaternions

another nice thing about quats is that you can do things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slerp

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

uncurable mlady posted:

go dependency management is awful yeah, but pretty much everything else is great

go seems like some bastard child of c and javascript

we haven't gone over dependency management but from what i've seen i don't think i'm ever using a library outside of go core

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

uncurable mlady posted:

go is literally "worse is better: the language"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
does go have generics yet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

you can go to 'dual quaternions' which are like regular quats except the coefficients are 'dual numbers' which are like complex numbers, except where complex numbers are "a+bi" where "i*i = -1", dual numbers are "a + be" where "e*e = 0, e != 0"

not all of us are nilpotents

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
please tell me that go-langers are self-justifying why generics (by which I mean abstract type variables) are actually bad

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

gonadic io posted:

please tell me that go-langers are self-justifying why generics (by which I mean abstract type variables) are actually bad

i once saw a guy say generics dont matter because you can program your ide to c/p code for different types

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fritz posted:

what

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gonadic io posted:

if you accept that the standard library has all the data types you need with its compiler built-in static type safety, you only "rarely" need any other data type and you're fine with dynamically casting to Interface{}, and you're okay with handrolling for loops forever and ever whenever you work with a collection of things, then it's not a big deal

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

basically it's stockholm syndrome from golang being better than python because it has some semblance of type safety

maybe some PTSD from c++ and java introducing accidental complexity through their special koolaid brand of OOP and abusing reflection to implement magic and abusing exceptions for non-exceptional things

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

some people prefer for loops over filter, map, fold, iterators, etc.

they're wrong, of course

even java of all languages has admitted their mistake

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what part of "the even Clifford algebra of real four dimensional space with degenerate quadratic form" do you not understand?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all documentation of the math behind quaternions is written in the densest possible form. it's amazing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

anyway I need to fix the wacky field of view next

I'm just multiplying the normalized (-1 to 1 in X and Y) coordinate by 100 and centering it in the center of the screen lol

I just want a 90 degree fov!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

hobbesmaster posted:

all documentation of the math behind quaternions is written in the densest possible form. it's amazing

my final maths dissertation involved trying to get my head around a book where the writing was so dense that the author started (without explanation) to write function composition as, not even "f g h", but just as "fgh".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

what part of "the even Clifford algebra of real four dimensional space with degenerate quadratic form" do you not understand?

yeah that stuff is nonsense

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

gonadic io posted:

my final maths dissertation involved trying to get my head around a book where the writing was so dense that the author started (without explanation) to write function composition as, not even "f g h", but just as "fgh".

the first math class I took in college was taught by an incomprehensible professor who dressed in hot pants and jerked off into mathematica all class that made me go into his office hours after I failed a test to give me a college isn't for everyone speech which resulted in me skipping the next semester due to sadbrains

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gonadic io posted:

fgsfds

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

"if you come from another language you probably thing this is horrible, but if you try it for a few months i'm sure you'll love it"

oh cool it's stockholm syndrome as a programing language

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

go pretty much has the worst error handling model of this decade

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

MononcQc posted:

go pretty much has the worst error handling model of this decade

this cant be said in a world where checked exceptions exist

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

heres my thoughts on go

- not every language should solve every problem
- by and large, when you try to solve every possible problem with a language, you end up with an awful mess that ends up creating its own special hell of problems
- go is good at the things go is good at (fairly small, statically linked binaries) and bad at other things
- that doesn't make go bad, it just makes it a bad tool for some jobs

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ask me about helping increase the speed of our installer by 500% by using the os to determine if files are present or not versus unrolling exceptions to see if files are present or not

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

the first math class I took in college was taught by an incomprehensible professor who dressed in hot pants and jerked off into mathematica all class that made me go into his office hours after I failed a test to give me a college isn't for everyone speech which resulted in me skipping the next semester due to sadbrains

what a complete rear end in a top hat

"you failed a test and it couldn't possibly be due to my inscrutable teaching"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

this cant be said in a world where checked exceptions exist

wouldn't that be 'of the 90s'

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

eschaton posted:

what a complete rear end in a top hat

"you failed a test and it couldn't possibly be due to my inscrutable teaching"

If this is university, you are supposed to read the degree, it isn't taught.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

If this is university, you are supposed to read the degree, it isn't taught.
lmao get a load of this guy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Actually in a similar position, I failed a course because the lecturer was terrible and we didn't have like 6 of the requisite courses. The department head reviewed our material and even stated it was an unnecessarily complicated method being demonstrated but ultimately did nothing to cancel the course. Awesome.

The course was on eclectic analogue transducers, and we were not in the electronic engineering department.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
one time i wrote a function with the comment "according the internet whatever this is doing is called a quaternion but i have no idea how it works" that's my quaternion story

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my professors were hilarious assholes that were smug about fortran and made fun of java the entire time

e: my comp sci professors. my math professors were pretty cool

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 11, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Quaternions are actually really cool and basically a 3D extension of complex numbers and how you'd model rotation with those, and there's not much to complex numbers other than "a complex number is basically like a 2D number and you can express them in cartesian or polar forms and the way in which those two forms are related is really cool and ~*elegant*~". But you need some basic calculus to understand the relationship and also the most common practical application of complex numbers is in AC circuits where you use them to extend the rules for DC resistance into AC impedance. Which most people don't have to deal with. Whereas at least negative numbers have a really pressing practical application in most peoples' lives in the form of debt.

When I was in high school I thought basic calculus and linear algebra and complex numbers were the coolest goddamn thing. Particularly linear algebra because I really wanted to write a 3D rasterizer and nobody would teach me the mathematics behind it and told me to do my algebra homework instead. So when I went to university I chose to do a joint Comp Sci and Mathematics degree. This turned out to be a horrible mistake.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

python performance is really weird

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

If you're defining a function that can take an arbitrary class of iterator as a parameter then that function needs to be a template and you're going to bloat the hell out of your code with all of its different instantiations. Plus your compile time will continue to take a poo poo.

If that's not something you care about then why are you using C++, use Java or Python or something.

I mean it's a trade off, but often slightly longer compile times and larger binary size are worth it for more flexibility IMO. Just because you are writing in a language with an emphasis on speed doesn't mean that every single part of your code has to be as fast as possible.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
go doesn't solve any problem and if you are using it at all for anything then you are the problem

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'd much rather install a service written in Go on my server than one written in loving PHP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

go is good at the same poo poo every language is good at. great what a good reason to exist

• Locked thread