Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

Reelism has a pogo stick as a usable item.

It's also one hell of a crazy-rear end mod.

It is the most amazing of mods. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!

The US had their own Mars Bars which were replaced by Snickers Almond back in the early 2000s. The Mars Bars of the rest of the world are actually pretty much the same as American Milky Way Bars, not to be confused with non-American Milky Way Bars, which are similar to American Three Musketeers Bars, and really the folks who picked candy names really shoulda checked the international market before confusing the poo poo out of people.

This expat blog has the most straightforward breakdown I could find.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

gregory posted:

The US had their own Mars Bars which were replaced by Snickers Almond back in the early 2000s. The Mars Bars of the rest of the world are actually pretty much the same as American Milky Way Bars, not to be confused with non-American Milky Way Bars, which are similar to American Three Musketeers Bars, and really the folks who picked candy names really shoulda checked the international market before confusing the poo poo out of people.

:psyduck: I uh... thanks for clearing that up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

KozmoNaut posted:

Reelism has a pogo stick as a usable item.

It's also one hell of a crazy-rear end mod.

I hope the Shyguys and Gal have this on their plate when the mods come up :dance: Hopefully the modder stops by and offers some insight into it. I don't THINK The Kins has been by?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

gregory posted:

Never thought I'd be learning about chocolate bars today. This thread certainly goes interesting places sometimes.

Wamdoodle posted:

I hope the Shyguys and Gal have this on their plate when the mods come up :dance: Hopefully the modder stops by and offers some insight into it. I don't THINK The Kins has been by?

Reelism's definitely on the list. Won't be for quite a while, but I would like to talk to Kinsie about it. I'll be sure to try and get in touch when we get there.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

gregory posted:

That explains a lot.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Y'all like console ports? Have a console port.

Next stop: More Wolfenstein!

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 9, 2016

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Staatmeister means Master of the State (in the sense of a country)

So he's the State Master of the Master State. :rimshot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think the closest translation to English is Prime Minister.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Your story about games that your parents did and didn't allow you to play (or didn't want you to play) reminds me of my first foray into violent 1st person games.

I was about 10 or so and I had been pressuring my parents to let me play doom for nearly a year now. They were reserved about it though with all the negative publicity it was getting at the time. My parents however were both close minded AND open minded at the same time (as in, they had their perceptions, but I could change them with time).

They decided to get a game that wasn't Doom but a lot like it.

They got me Quake (which had JUST come out) instead :downs:

For extra irony points. The free shareware disk they got with the full game itself had the first episode of Doom (and other games) on it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my mom wouldn't let me play "mature" games like Duke Nukem 3D when I was growing up...but they were totally cool with me playing Diablo, Quake, Warcraft and Starcraft. When my brother got Serious Sam I played the hell out that and asked my mom why she would let me play that but not Duke Nukem (this was also after I pointed out that Duke has parental controls to take out the strippers) and she simply said "he's not as vulgar"

I mean, I guess that's true

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Aces High posted:

my mom wouldn't let me play "mature" games like Duke Nukem 3D when I was growing up...but they were totally cool with me playing Diablo, Quake, Warcraft and Starcraft. When my brother got Serious Sam I played the hell out that and asked my mom why she would let me play that but not Duke Nukem (this was also after I pointed out that Duke has parental controls to take out the strippers) and she simply said "he's not as vulgar"

I mean, I guess that's true

I mean, to be fair, at that age it's pretty easy for a kid to think duke was actually cool and not a dorky loser trying way too hard to be cool.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

that and her real reason was a good one, why let your 6 year old play a game where you can give money to strippers (or play a game with strippers at all)? I mean, sure blowing bodies into chunks in Quake is gruesome, and the creature designs in Diablo 1 and 2 are not subtle but you, the player, are not actively engaging with those elements

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My mother didn't really care about the content in video games that I played until after I was old enough to vote.

My parents had me and my sister with them when they saw Silence of the Lambs at a drive-in movie theater. I was four and my sister was two. I only remember trying to watch the other movies and nothing else. But I do remember being at my uncle's house and watching him play Doom and other DOS games with my dad. My aunt even knitted a mouse cover that was a grey mouse with felt whiskers and a top hat.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
I used to sit at the computer when I was like 4 or 5 with my dad and brutally slaughter dozens of pinkies with the chainsaw. I also have fond memories of beating my dad 60-11 at Duke 3d deathmatch when I was about eleven. We never deathmatched eachother again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My parents were vehemently against me playing gory video games as a kid. However, they made an exception with the Turok series. Your guess is as good as mine.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I used to play the Serious Sam games in Hippie mode, which is the superior way of playing them anyway.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I watched my Dad play through Doom, Quake, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake 2, and a few other games as a wee lad. When Quake three came out we actually played some death matches. And when Return to Castle Wolfenstein rolled around I watched him play that occasionally too, then played it a bit myself, and when Enemy territory came around, we played quite a few matches together. id Software was kinda big in our house, though my dad still hasn't played the new Doom yet and I keep trying to get him to play it because it's so good.

My parents never really had a problem with me playing violent video games, though my mother didn't want me playing some old stealth action game for the PS1 for some reason, so I just played some Mortal Kombat and maybe some Tekken. :downs:

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I remember that playing Enemy territory with pubs was painful, 5 field ops all trying to spam airstrikes and artillery barrages at random places. (mainly your own spawn)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

all this talk is reminding me of when we taught my dad how to play Goldeneye :allears: he ended up not playing that with us but when we got Diablo 2 a year later he was all over that poo poo. I'll bet he would still be playing that if I had left the disks at his house :gbsmith:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ssmagus posted:

I remember that playing Enemy territory with pubs was painful, 5 field ops all trying to spam airstrikes and artillery barrages at random places. (mainly your own spawn)

I never belonged to a clan while playing Wolf:ET but there was one server run by a clan that would run a good mix of custom maps and rule sets and as a 64 player server there was usually always room for others who were unaffiliated - I think for several years I almost exclusively played on that server. If it was full I just wouldn't play.

Man, the number of hours I sunk into that game; makes me miss being a teen. Wish I could remember the name but I suspect it's long gone by now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Y-Hat posted:

My parents were vehemently against me playing gory video games as a kid. However, they made an exception with the Turok series. Your guess is as good as mine.

Did your dad grow up with the Turok comic books? Mine did; it's pretty much the only comic book he can remember.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Y-Hat posted:

Did you show your mom the Cerebral Bore in Turok 2? "Mom, Dad look what I can do!" *WHIRRRRRRRRR* *SLPORT* *BOOOM*

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My friend's dad had no problem letting us play Doom, Wolf3D and Leisure Suit Larry on his old 386 when we were 9-10, but wouldn't buy my friend a copy of Destruction Derby 2 for PlayStation because the crashes in that game were too realistic or something. Of course, a couple of years later he didn't seem to mind us playing Carmageddon all day long on their new Pentium, so I'm not sure what was going on there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lotish posted:

Did your dad grow up with the Turok comic books? Mine did; it's pretty much the only comic book he can remember.
My dad's not a comic book guy, but a family friend is. He's gone on a dinosaur fossil excavation trip, so I'd put it at even odds that he loves that series.

Wamdoodle posted:

Did you show your mom the Cerebral Bore in Turok 2? "Mom, Dad look what I can do!" *WHIRRRRRRRRR* *SLPORT* *BOOOM*
I never played Turok 2, actually. I only rented Turok 1 and Rage Wars (which did have the Cerebral Bore- an awesome gun if there ever was one).

The Turok 2 LP going on seems to be on indefinite hiatus, but from watching that, I can say that the amount of gore in that game is a little much even for me.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Time to delve into the relatively obscure Spear of Destiny Expansions!

Thanks, Rushputin, for getting in on this!

Also, all these stories about your parents letting you play violent games are great. :allears:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Man, those guys took "Blued Steel" way too literally...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Denkste is just a renegade German graffiti artist, fyi.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

So enemies have catchprashes? :)

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

inscrutable horse posted:

So enemies have catchprashes? :)

:negative: Oh god, they all have catchprashes. What have I done?

E: Alright, I clumsily patched it up with youtube annotations. I could probably re-render the video, but that seems like a bit much for a typo.

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 12, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Strange choice of aesthetics, it reminds me somehow of X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Also died when I saw the bats and the first boss. This expansion is so dorky, but already loving it but looks like a pain in the rear end to play though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm only about half way through the video but I'd really love to see some of the design docs on this game so we can figure out why the hell they thought swapping all the colours for their neon variants then plastering swastikas on literally every surface was a good idea.

Not really sad that I missed out on this title when I was a kid...

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

So I found the manual for this game on a Wolfenstein wikia (http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/File:Wolfenstein_3D_SNES_manual.pdf)
You just press select to cycle weapons apparently. :)

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Angry Lobster posted:

Strange choice of aesthetics, it reminds me somehow of X-Com: Terror from the Deep. Also died when I saw the bats and the first boss. This expansion is so dorky, but already loving it but looks like a pain in the rear end to play though.

Yeah, the levels are mostly not great, but yeah, I like how out there the enemies are.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm only about half way through the video but I'd really love to see some of the design docs on this game so we can figure out why the hell they thought swapping all the colours for their neon variants then plastering swastikas on literally every surface was a good idea.

Not really sad that I missed out on this title when I was a kid...

Yeah, for some reason the color choices are particularly egregious, but for some reason I find that charming.

NuminaXLT posted:

So I found the manual for this game on a Wolfenstein wikia (http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/File:Wolfenstein_3D_SNES_manual.pdf)
You just press select to cycle weapons apparently. :)
Well, how about that. I tried it and it worked. I just had to press the select button down really hard for it to work. Guess my SNES controller's defective! Thanks for the tip!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ok, I like Coffee, and you should keep him coming for all doom related stuff.

But Rushputin HAS to be around for anything Wolfenstein related. :allears:

Also, the chaingun sound sounds like something out of a :japan: samurai movie.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 13, 2016

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Temin_Dump posted:

Time to delve into the relatively obscure Spear of Destiny Expansions!

Thanks, Rushputin, for getting in on this!

Also, all these stories about your parents letting you play violent games are great. :allears:

Oh my god the machine gun pickup sound is sampled from the beginning of Strong as I Am by The Prime Movers.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's basically a really mazey nazi nightclub. Having a water-gun night.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
In between the futuristic look, all the neon, the chaingun pickup sound, and the Wehraboo theory, I think this might be the Blood Dragon of Wolfenstein 3D.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Rushputin was amazing, and I'd love it if he could be in more episodes, that was wonderful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Yeah, Rushputin was a goddamn gem! I hope you guys bring him back for later videos :)