Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

This is absolutely not true, because of cERPPC splash and the extremely short burn time of small lasers.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about poptart Novas but a laser brawler Nova can put the bulk of its damage on CTs if you have a steady hand.

It's true if the people you're facing know how to torso twist at all. I also personally favor the ER SL Nova when I use smalls on it at all for the range, but they do have a longer burn time.

I guess if your opponents aren't the kind of people who think to turn their mech when there is a Nova within 150m firing at them, then yes, you are better off with the lasers every time. Unfortunately, I don't run into those people very often outside CW skittle drops where small lasers aren't that good anyway because of the nature of CW engagement ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hey WOL nerds, do you want to stay in the Inner Sphere (best sphere) for our next contract or do you want to be conformists and follow GIRL into clan space?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's not as if we do CW at all unless there's event AFAIK.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Prefer IS, haven't really got a clan dropdeck.

Also yay, completed the event, got a nova. Now to never scout again

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
If I even had enough mechs to make a clan drop deck I'd be down, but I don't really do CW outside of events either way, so go hog wild.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
My Clan dropdeck currently consists of 3 Novas and either a trial Dire Wolf or a Timber Wolf. :)

Edit: The UAC/20 2x SMLAS Nova is oddly harder to work with than the 12x SMLAS Nova. UAC/20s do 20 damage per burst right? So a double tap dumps 40 damage to an area?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 10, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think needing to spend 3 million C-bills on top of a mech's price to have it not be terrible isn't a good decision.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I think needing to spend 3 million C-bills on top of a mech's price to have it not be terrible isn't a good decision.

Which mech is that?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Artificer posted:

Which mech is that?

Nearly every is mech

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Man the 500 dmg = was a good game is hard to do on mechs without great DPS like anything that isn't a brawler, or isn't a heavy or an assault with enough weapons to compensate for the fact that the weapons themselves aren't high dps.

Such as the double ER PPC Nova. How do you guys judge your performance in games?

Also the ol' World of Tanks issue of no matter how good you are, if your entire team collapses and you get swarmed, you'll lose and feel bad about it no matter what you do is in this game too.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Great Beer posted:

Hey WOL nerds, do you want to stay in the Inner Sphere (best sphere) for our next contract or do you want to be conformists and follow GIRL into clan space?

Lets go clan, i finally have a decent clan lineup thanks to the last few events

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I've been looking for a IS medium that fit my style, and decided to try out the Centurion CN-9D. I really love being a shotgun hobo filling people up with LBX-10.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

It's true if the people you're facing know how to torso twist at all.

There's a lot of mechs that cannot practically protect their CTs at 150m. Especially if you're firing from behind them.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Great Beer posted:

Might as well follow GIRL.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I just reinstalled this game wtf happened to the map. Wtf happened to frozen city. WHY ARE LIGHTS HUGE

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

kingcom posted:

I just reinstalled this game wtf happened to the map. Wtf happened to frozen city. WHY ARE LIGHTS HUGE

:pgi: went full retard.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Great Beer posted:

:pgi: went full retard.

I stopped following this game to lol at star citizen and then I came back to this. I'll probably play a bit cause im a sucker for robutts but I dont want to cough up money to leave the unit then maybe rejoin or whatever unless I see my current one is completely dead.

kingcom in game name.

No no but seriously why are Lights huge.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

kingcom posted:

Not all lights - the Locust got smaller. :pgi:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

:pgi: decided that BattleMechs, which are mostly empty airspace to give their torso guns room to wiggle around*, are actually balloons and resized them all volumetrically based on the amount of air they contain. So the Dire Wolf, Warhawk, Nova, Catapult, and Locust got smaller while everything that isn't a literal box on legs got stupidly huge.

*feature not appearing in MWO

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 11, 2016

WoesiohanS
May 1, 2006
Just vid it - with style!
I just encountered not one, but two Goon units in Quickplay. Can some one get me the mumble info? In game name is WoesiohanS

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

WoesiohanS posted:

I just encountered not one, but two Goon units in Quickplay. Can some one get me the mumble info? In game name is WoesiohanS

Is there info that I'm missing? I'm in the channel that I know of but no one is here. If so I'd like to tag along too. Ingame name is Peacelock.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My in-game name is Buschmaki and I would also like to play with goons, because if another teammate stands directly behind me while I try to back up I might actually start sobbing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

:pgi: decided that BattleMechs, which are mostly empty airspace to give their torso guns room to wiggle around*, are actually balloons and resized them all volumetrically based on the amount of air they contain. So the Dire Wolf, Warhawk, Nova, Catapul, and Locust got smaller while everything that isn't a literal box on legs got stupidly huge.

:pgi: wtf :pgi:

Why? Who? Wtf?

Why the gently caress would they waste their loving time on something as insane as that? Volumentrically ???? Why would a light even have the same amount of air as mechs much larger than it??? That alone doesnt even make any sense. JFC

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

How often do we get events that have mechs on sale? I might pick up another mech or something if I've got the money for it before the event ends.

Maybe I'll pick up a Catapult? Or a Crab? I don't have any of either but I just basic-ed my 3 Novas and am working on Eliting them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

They were pretty regular doing a summer/winter sale when I was playing before and it looks like the crabs are on sale atm.

Also I own 3 Kintaros for some reason that it looks like I bought before I quit. Are they still crap?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

kingcom posted:

They were pretty regular doing a summer/winter sale when I was playing before and it looks like the crabs are on sale atm.

Also I own 3 Kintaros for some reason that it looks like I bought before I quit. Are they still crap?

Yeah the crabs, novas, mad dogs, and catapults are on sale. Crabs are nice but I hear their niche is better covered by the Blackjack? Or are they so good to be worth picking up at reduced prices over Catapults?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

:pgi: decided that BattleMechs, which are mostly empty airspace to give their torso guns room to wiggle around*, are actually balloons and resized them all volumetrically based on the amount of air they contain. So the Dire Wolf, Warhawk, Nova, Catapult, and Locust got smaller while everything that isn't a literal box on legs got stupidly huge.

*feature not appearing in MWO

Please have your next scenario be about bloated mechs that are secretly stuffed full of elementals tia.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

People asking for invites be aware it costs like 3000000000 cbills to invite now, so you're probably better just jumping in mumble since being in WoL gets you nothing

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The problem is that in order to get the mumble info, they have to be in the group to see the MOTD. They have to be in mumble to get into the group. The OP is outdated with no clear instructions other than to post here and someone will invite.

Considering the ASStronomical cost of invites to WoL, people are either going to have to start begging GIRLs to let them in, or we can revisit the idea we discussed in Mumble about forming a new group and everyone who's active moving to it for a fraction of the cost.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Great Beer posted:

Strongly prefer IS since I only have like 1 Clan mech.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Yeah the crabs, novas, mad dogs, and catapults are on sale. Crabs are nice but I hear their niche is better covered by the Blackjack? Or are they so good to be worth picking up at reduced prices over Catapults?

50 ton crab mechs are excellent zombie brawler mediums.

Not so good at poking though so they are extremely map dependent.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

How often do we get events that have mechs on sale? I might pick up another mech or something if I've got the money for it before the event ends.

Maybe I'll pick up a Catapult? Or a Crab? I don't have any of either but I just basic-ed my 3 Novas and am working on Eliting them.

Crabs are incredibly tanky for their size, catapults not so. They are however superior missileboats or pokers.
Generally, crabs are lasers-only and catapults can pretty much run every build throughout the variants.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Skoll could start doing some WoL culling to cut down on our invite cost. Teemerc was very reluctant to do it, and I understand why, but we have a massive number of players who aren't active anymore.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Can the unit admin even see how long it's been since someone's logged in, or is it a case of :pgi: forgetting to add something useful like that to the game?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Crabs are incredibly tanky for their size, catapults not so. They are however superior missileboats or pokers.
Generally, crabs are lasers-only and catapults can pretty much run every build throughout the variants.

Well, I have Novas Prime, A, and B, so my energy fetish is sort of satiated for now. Maybe I'll get the Catapult while it is on sale then.

Can the K2 run with 4 Large Lasers or Laser Pulse Lasers and do well as a hill pokey sort of mech? There's the AC/10 and the LBX AC/10 builds for it as well. And the GaussCat. What other good builds are available for it?

I know the other Cat variants all revolve around SRMs supplemented with maybe a few MLAS for taste. More or less it, iirc.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I have to thank Vdubs for helping me turn my DDC into a nice murder beast/target that doesn't seem to die quick.
I took out a fuckload of double heat sinks, my AMS, a large laser and an Ultra 5. Popped in a pair of Lbx 10s and kept my Artemis SrM 4s. I wreck massive amounts of dick. It's like I am playing Doom 1 with the single Shotgun. Things melt and it's not terrible at heat. I tended to do like twice my usual average damage in most mechs. I still don't torso twist for poo poo though. And my main strategy is still gently caress HIDING I WANT TO SHOOT THINGS NOW RAAAR.

( I do use things like cover and all but my play style is similar to the Angry Marines of 1d4 chan infamy. I want to quickly start shooting things in the face till one of us dies. )

I'm not sure who made LBX good in game but bless their little hoser hearts for doing so.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Well, I have Novas Prime, A, and B, so my energy fetish is sort of satiated for now. Maybe I'll get the Catapult while it is on sale then.

Can the K2 run with 4 Large Lasers or Laser Pulse Lasers and do well as a hill pokey sort of mech? There's the AC/10 and the LBX AC/10 builds for it as well. And the GaussCat. What other good builds are available for it?

I know the other Cat variants all revolve around SRMs supplemented with maybe a few MLAS for taste. More or less it, iirc.

Iven been running the K2 with LBX/UAC/AC10s, with 4 medpulse/med/smallpulse,
as well as
4 large pulse / 2 ERPPC+2 large pulse. Runs hot, but is incredibly good at poking.
That thing can literally runs everything you like. Except for missiles, but theres the other variants.
Since i have no problems slapping 4x7 ton guns on it, 4x5 is a given. It even forces you out of an XL since you run out of space.

4x ERLL: Beamapult
4x LPL: Flickerpult (feel free to swap LPLs for PPCs)

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Drone posted:

Can the unit admin even see how long it's been since someone's logged in, or is it a case of :pgi: forgetting to add something useful like that to the game?

There is no way to tell. It's all anecdotal.

GIRL isn't going anywhere. If we want to start a new group for those that don't have one, so be it.

The OP needs updating to start a new thread. The mechs/builds are somewhat outdated. I guess I can start working on it, but I might recruit help.

This was all a lot easier before they started charging for unit invites.

Now, start emailing me updated Mech/Build selections for the new OP. beraiye@gmail.com

Beraiye fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 11, 2016

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
mumble.goonrathi.com

pass: mellon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Beraiye posted:

There is no way to tell. It's all anecdotal.

That's going to be a bitch and a half then.

Maybe someone can start a Google Doc thing or something where people who are active can input their in-game name or something to indicate whether they're active. Leave it up for a week or two, then cull anyone who isn't on the list?

• Locked thread