Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah it seems like all of the gating is gone once you get past the first boss. Environment suit upgrades and crafting station upgrades are made out of regular crafting materials. Certain NPC shops are gated behind optional one-off boss fights but these are so far short and easy.

Matter manipulator upgrades are handled with a dedicated interface you can invoke whenever you want. Requires manipulator upgrade modules which are found in random chests all over.

That first super annoying quest to dig to the core of the planet and get core fragments can still be completed that way, but you can also get fragments as loot from containers in the abandoned mine on the tutorial planet.

The crazy annoying scavenger hunt quests (bring me a USMC prison sign etc) are gone as far as I can tell. You still need to find different racial settlements but they seem to be more evenly seeded, and more importantly, have seed weight to specific kinds of planets around specific star types. And the quest text tells you this.

There are quite a lot of good improvements here. I might be a bit easy to win over but I'm overall positive about Starbound now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

are hylotl cities still not in the loving game

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So is the "unstable" version in steam this nightly people talk about?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

voltcatfish posted:

are hylotl cities still not in the loving game

They are in. Pretty goddamn majestic when you first see one.

socialsecurity posted:

So is the "unstable" version in steam this nightly people talk about?

Yes, unstable + opt into betas.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the hylotl cities own a lot

unless they changed it, no, the unstable is not the nightly. They're their own separate thing lol

Unstable is the like the Beta for the game (which is a beta itself), while the nightlies are like alphas for the unstable branch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

alpha, beta. gamma delta for all i care. starbound is bad

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Cool, Hylotl always seemed like the least developed race. If they actually have content now I'll probably play one when 1.0 comes out.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

this new inventory system is bizarre

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
so did the game stop sucking???

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

still my favorite sa thread

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

drkeiscool posted:

I mean...'It's inoffensive'

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah it seems like all of the gating is gone once you get past the first boss. Environment suit upgrades and crafting station upgrades are made out of regular crafting materials. Certain NPC shops are gated behind optional one-off boss fights but these are so far short and easy.

Matter manipulator upgrades are handled with a dedicated interface you can invoke whenever you want. Requires manipulator upgrade modules which are found in random chests all over.

That first super annoying quest to dig to the core of the planet and get core fragments can still be completed that way, but you can also get fragments as loot from containers in the abandoned mine on the tutorial planet.

The crazy annoying scavenger hunt quests (bring me a USMC prison sign etc) are gone as far as I can tell. You still need to find different racial settlements but they seem to be more evenly seeded, and more importantly, have seed weight to specific kinds of planets around specific star types. And the quest text tells you this.

There are quite a lot of good improvements here. I might be a bit easy to win over but I'm overall positive about Starbound now.
Huh...that's all good to know. I don't know why they're bothering to keep the boring mining boss thing but if it's just explorarama afterwards I'm willing to give it another shot.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah as the thread's OP and eternal guardian I feel obligated to recommend everyone give the game another try when it's released, if only to know once and for all whether or not the final game is worth playing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the game is offensively inoffensive

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to July 22

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

"Starbound : It's allright, I guess" would be a colossal achievement given the steaming pile of poo poo it was headed towards

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If the game can actually load without crashing to desktop every time it'll be a lot better than the last time I tried.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah as the thread's OP and eternal guardian I feel obligated to recommend everyone give the game another try when it's released, if only to know once and for all whether or not the final game is worth playing.

I am expecting my ancient early expectations of "So they made a lot of progress in other areas which is great! But the combat/health recovery balance is still a samey treadmill bitch that keeps removing the parts of it I liked" to hold true.

Too much to hope that one of those Nice Changes is trees and crops going back to growing themselves with no maintenance while you are off planet? (and not taking over an hour for one banana crop)? That change was a real pain in the dick for self sustained space log cabin building.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've played with the 1.0 nightly for a few hours and it's... inoffensive? A lot of stuff is more coherent, it performs better, and there are some good interface improvements. It still feels like I'm doing stuff for no real reason though.

Starbound: It's... inoffensive?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It was inoffensive until I got to the combat which still appears to be complete poo poo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah combat is still basically the same, it's "improved" because there's a bunch of wacky rear end new weapons but you can only polish a turd so much

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

To me the all-important question is: Did they fix the drat server?!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

"Starbound : It's allright, I guess" would be a colossal achievement given the steaming pile of poo poo it was headed towards

Still, we never did get the Space Terraria in Space we were promised. Meanwhile Terraria has grown and improved by leaps and bounds while Starbutt didn't even know what the hell it wanted to be.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was never expecting anything magically good out of the combat because it takes a hell of a lot of various systems working well together for combat in a 2d platformer to feel alright

terraria's combat is still pretty bad and starbound definitely didn't make any real improvements on that

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was never expecting anything magically good out of the combat because it takes a hell of a lot of various systems working well together for combat in a 2d platformer to feel alright

terraria's combat is still pretty bad and starbound definitely didn't make any real improvements on that

yeah, the only thing Terraria has going for it with combat is variety of cool poo poo to swing and shoot and throw.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Just finished reading all of this. Uh. I'm surprised at how optimistic this page is compared to.. the previous stuff.

But yeah.. thanks for saving me $15 after two people had almost convinced me to go for it. Though one of them is a bad person with worse taste.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Can you give some examples of 2d platformer combat that felt alright to you? :) Curious.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

XkyRauh posted:

Can you give some examples of 2d platformer combat that felt alright to you? :) Curious.

I'm not him but Guacamelee and Valdis Story seemed pretty alright on that end. Never did get around to finishing either of them, tho.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

SotN, obviously.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

.. Maplestory combat could be interesting depending on your class?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Moryrie posted:

Maplestory
NEEEERRRRRD

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Rrussom posted:

NEEEERRRRRD

It was in like 2007. For like 4 months. :shrug: .. and it was more fun that this seems to be from what I've read in here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

XkyRauh posted:

i've played all the previous examples given, some more than others, and i can agree with all of those.

others i know just from a very casual glance at my steam library of games i have installed right now:

momodora: reverie under the moonlight
nidhogg
shovel knight
spelunky

probably quite a lot more without even including old console games and the like. starbound's combat feels like it's there solely because it's expected to be, which is fitting given the jumbled mess that is the rest of the game. in terraria's defense, the rest of it is actually solid enough to at least halfway prop up the annoying and janky combat, but starbound really doesn't have that going for it. it takes more than just slapping together a halfbaked sandbox game to make it 'fun' to play, and all these other games being listed were at least sort of built around a combat system that fits the game overall and is either clearcut and simple or complex with the surrounding game supporting it being that way

i'm not particularly sure where starbound's combat is supposed to lie in all of this, because like the rest of the game it feels like it only exists because someone went down a list and checked off a series of boxes

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As much of Starbounds combat issues are the flat treadmill of progress being a loop rather than, well, progress.

Then frequently bolting on more bits to try and add "depth" that often just nothing but penalties. Like backwards walking (amazed that's going to be gone). Staff telling the thread energy would become more forgiving then the next day the Devs unveiling 'Nope, Energy will now STOP recharging it you use it too much!'. Adding awkward windup to hammers. Throwing on assorted special attacks and other gewgaws that still mean nothing so long as combat is still dictated by the same thresholds forever. Potion sickness. Farming changes so it's a bitch to even bother triggering potion sickness by eating in the first place. Removing air dashing "to make that a later, better tech" which also makes traveling along worlds slower.

While I admit I've never gotten around to activating Hard mode or digging down into Hell in Terraria, at least there for all the awkwardness it has still-
A: Gives you an actual sense of getting stronger and better.
B: Compared to Starbound, being naked with a wooden sword in Terraia is akin to being an Olympic god.
C: Passive. loving. Healing. (And other healing options that are not a mega bitch or money sink).

When you are roaming across samey procedural generated worlds where every enemy will take X hit tier and you can survive Y hits per tier, forever (and you always enter a new area under par to get those new upgrades)... AND health recover is a bitch as you get nickle and dimed across the galaxy, ugh.

The combat has always been my biggest issue, and sadly seems to be the front they are they least likely to ever get to something properly satisfying all on it's own.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 12, 2016

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Oh, I did actually have a question. Is this actually more tedious than Sunless Sea? .. at least Sunless Sea in like mid 2014 when I last gave it a chance and it was tedious and slow, and they seemed to keep balancing it to be even more so? Because that's one comparison I never saw brought up somehow.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I don't know Sunless Sea, but the gameplay loop in Starbound is the exact same thing (mine three tiers of minerals) for ten tiers of enemies who get multiplicatively stronger, with nothing at the end :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

yeah, the only thing Terraria has going for it with combat is variety of cool poo poo to swing and shoot and throw.

Terraria at least makes you feel powerful and is fairly quick, compared to Starbound.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Moryrie posted:

Just finished reading all of this. Uh. I'm surprised at how optimistic this page is compared to.. the previous stuff.

But yeah.. thanks for saving me $15 after two people had almost convinced me to go for it. Though one of them is a bad person with worse taste.

Buy it. It's a better use of your money than buying jpegs.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
GrimCreap'd Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Played the nightly with some friends last night and it's better than it used to be. Still a lot of quality of life issues and the new hotbar setup sucks. loving torches are considered two handers so they take up two slots on the bar, so no torches on right click and platforms/dirt on left or vice versa.

Quests now give you minimal info and seem to actively be hiding what you really need to do until you get to the point where it tells you to get core fragments, but then doesn't display how many you need anywhere except at the portal where you need to use them. Instead it just displays a progress bar in the upper right.

Hunger is extremely annoying and you have to put up with it if you want to play in a mode where items drop on death. When you get hungry you beep continually until you eat something and none of the food actually displays info on how much of your hunger it will sate when you eat it. Eat food (and using items) is annoying as well. You have to either put it on a bar slot or drag it and click outside your inventory like you're going to drop it, which makes no loving sense. Dragging onto your character doll in inventory or right-clicking does nothing.

Matter manipulator upgrade modules are extremely rare and you have to find 12 to get the first speed upgrade. We didn't have 12 between the three of us after 5-6 hours of playing.

The server only binds to IPv6 by default. You have to edit in three separate places to get it to listen on an IPv4 port. You know, that silly protocol that people actually use...

On the plus side, we were having fun and full speed backwards walking is nice. BTW, the hammer charge swing bullshit also applies to 1h axes (and probably two handers as well) and guns are still lovely as ever. Swords were the only weapon I tried that felt good at all.

• Locked thread