Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Or someone with CNN, Fox News, New York Times, Washinton Post, and every other "respectable" media outlet?

Get all the way the gently caress out

What do you think would happen if Barack Obama went on tv and said "yeah they had it coming"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hint: the answer is not "meaningful change"

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hah, you still equate Obama with change.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Hah, you still equate Obama with change.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jfc y'all are dumb

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Badger of Basra posted:

jfc y'all are dumb

You are a coward, valuing bullshit property over people's lives, and too stupid to realize how transparent you are about it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Error 404 posted:

You are a coward, valuing bullshit property over people's lives, and too stupid to realize how transparent you are about it.

literally all i said was that obama is not hitler for saying stuff like the dallas shooting makes police reform harder, but okay

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Badger of Basra posted:

literally all i said was that obama is not hitler for saying stuff like the dallas shooting makes police reform harder, but okay

Oh sorry, are we pretending you haven't been posting your weak-rear end neolib apologia in this forum for weeks?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Error 404 posted:

Oh sorry, are we pretending you haven't been posting your weak-rear end neolib apologia in this forum for weeks?

Normally I would agree, but he's not wrong about this one. Throwing gasoline on a dumpster fire would not help police reform.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

a primate posted:

Normally I would agree, but he's not wrong about this one. Throwing gasoline on a dumpster fire would not help police reform.

Hint: you cannot reform an inherently corrupt system.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Error 404 posted:

Hint: you cannot reform an inherently corrupt system.

What does that even mean aside from "ACAB"?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
BoB is correct here, and you're wrong Error, but I want to poke this:

Badger of Basra posted:

Obama is the president though, and not someone on woke twitter
is the implication that the people on 'woke twitter' are, unlike presidents, not held accountable for dumb poo poo ideas, and therefore he can't get away with it, or that 'woke twitter' consists of unacceptable policy positions/political opinions? Because you seem like the person who would disagree with the later

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rudatron posted:

is the implication that the people on 'woke twitter' are, unlike presidents, not held accountable for dumb poo poo ideas, and therefore he can't get away with it, or that 'woke twitter' consists of unacceptable policy positions/political opinions? Because you seem like the person who would disagree with the later

The President has "uphold laws" as part of his literal job description, whereas activists get to (and should!) prioritise broad concerns of justice without regard for practicality as a way to shift the discourse.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

I am implying that woke Twitter says the kind of stuff the president can't say, like "the police were no angels" (which is true but also incredibly glib)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

And yeah they don't have to worry about appearances or practicality

The president and woke Twitter might agree about an issue but I don't think it's wrong that they would talk about it in different ways

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So if some right-wing activist says that Obama secretly, in his heart of hearts, wants cops dead, but has to say some differently in public, your response would be to think 'well I don't like this activist guy, but I hope he's right'?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

rudatron posted:

So if some right-wing activist says that Obama secretly, in his heart of hearts, wants cops dead, but has to say some differently in public, your response would be to think 'well I don't like this guy, but I hope he's right'?

:yeah:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rudatron posted:

So if some right-wing activist says that Obama secretly, in his heart of hearts, wants cops dead, but has to say some differently in public, your response would be to think 'well I don't like this activist guy, but I hope he's right'?

I don't think he secretly wants them dead but I am sure Obama thought to himself "they were no angels" and lol'd internally

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't necessarily agree with the implications of what he said but considering Obama can't even look at a news story dealing with the issue without being accused of inciting a race war I understand why he said it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

beware Obama! Joe Walsh is on the offensive

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope Joe Walsh meets Mack Truck

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
drone strike joe walsh
i see then, nevermind

rudatron has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Jul 11, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I can't tell who is a committed revolutionary, and who is just trolling.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't tell who is a committed revolutionary, and who is just trolling.

You have come to a world called LF *whipcrack*

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

poo poo or get off the pot already.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

a primate posted:

What does that even mean aside from "ACAB"?

it means that even if there are decent cops, the system in which they do their work is corrupt and rewards corruption, therefore, it needs to be completely revamped instead of just tinkered around the edges.

hope this helps :love:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Classic Comrade posted:

it means that even if there are decent cops, the system in which they do their work is corrupt and rewards corruption, therefore, it needs to be completely revamped instead of just tinkered around the edges.

hope this helps :love:

I'm still confused about how reforms don't qualify as revamping but rather are tinkering so I guess I'll just look up police reform instead of derailing the thread

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

a primate posted:

I'm still confused about how reforms don't qualify as revamping but rather are tinkering so I guess I'll just look up police reform instead of derailing the thread

tinkering means changing the rules a little. "revamp" in this case probably involves firing the majority of people currently in US police work and replacing them with literally anyone else.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Grand Prize Winner posted:

firing the majority of people currently in US police work and replacing them with literally anyone else.

A good idea.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

tinkering means changing the rules a little. "revamp" in this case probably involves firing the majority of people currently in US police work and replacing them with literally anyone else.

We do random selection with vetting for juries, I see very few reasons why it can't be made to work for low-level policing too. Not without training obviously, but still. We've got more work-suitable unemployed in this country than we have badges to hang on them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I feel like "press the unemployed into working as police officers" is one of the more regressive ideas I've heard

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I think this article is relevant to the discussion:

http://lawcha.org/wordpress/2014/12/29/stop-kidding-police-created-control-working-class-poor-people/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ACAB

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I feel like "press the unemployed into working as police officers" is one of the more regressive ideas I've heard

Service guarantees citizenship.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cephalocidal posted:

Service guarantees citizenship.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Well if nothing else it does sound like reforming police from the ground up might be necessary. That article also helps explain why solve rates are so low - police are by design there to "keep the peace," not actually catch criminals. It seems we'd be better off with a lot more investigators and a lot fewer cops on the beat.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Mr. Horrible posted:

Well if nothing else it does sound like reforming police from the ground up might be necessary. That article also helps explain why solve rates are so low - police are by design there to "keep the peace," not actually catch criminals. It seems we'd be better off with a lot more investigators and a lot fewer cops on the beat.

More cops on the beat would work too, provided they didn't have the broad authority of current police. I would love it if first-tier police officers were as prevalent in our communities as red light cameras, and as empowered to police as the information kiosk in a hospital lobby. Also unarmed.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cephalocidal posted:

More cops on the beat would work too, provided they didn't have the broad authority of current police. I would love it if first-tier police officers were as prevalent in our communities as red light cameras, and as empowered to police as the information kiosk in a hospital lobby. Also unarmed.

Mall Cops for America.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
No, mall cops has a feel of self-aggrandizing authority abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

No, mall cops has a feel of self-aggrandizing authority abuse.

Mall cops are lovely because they can try to bluster their way into being assessed like real cops. If the real cops were as powerful as mall cops they'd have to pretend to be firefighters or matadors or something.

• Locked thread