Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

sauer kraut posted:

That was a good deal ~1.5 years ago. I'd wait a couple days for an aftermarket RX 480 that runs cool, quiet and factory undervolted.

I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure if it will be a week or a month until the custom 480s are out and will probably be $250-260 minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mikul posted:

So is a GTX 1060 gonna be good enough for 2560x1600 Doom 4, or do I need to aim higher. CPU is an i7 3770 3.4Ghz

Should be good enough for Doom. The 1060 is supposed to be similar to a 980, which at 2560x1440 gets ~77fps: http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page3.html

Dooms performance is an outlier though, in most other new games you'd have to drop your settings or resolution.

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 10, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mikul posted:

So is a GTX 1060 gonna be good enough for 2560x1600 Doom 4, or do I need to aim higher. CPU is an i7 3770 3.4Ghz

I'd go for a 1070 at least at that resolution. Granted, Doom 4 is really well optimized and you should be able to get 60 FPS out of a 1060 at 2560x1600 but if you want to be able to turn up the eye candy in other games you definitely want the 1070.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd go for a 1070 at least at that resolution. Granted, Doom 4 is really well optimized and you should be able to get 60 FPS out of a 1060 at 2560x1600 but if you want to be able to turn up the eye candy in other games you definitely want the 1070.

Jesus. That's quite a hike in cost. Not sure I can justify that. Will there be any significant bump in 4k video editing and encoding, which I do a lot off at the moment. Bear in mind I'm upgrading from a Radeon HD 7750.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Any consensus about the coolest / quietest aftermarket cooler for the 10x0 series?

I'm trying to bunch up all the reviews to get an overal view but reviewers keep using different methods / setups to measure sound and temps...

I'm leaning towards the MSI gaming X but if EVGA 3.0 ACX is as cool / quiet I'd rather get the EVGA to have a shot at stepping up to the Ti.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mikul posted:

Jesus. That's quite a hike in cost. Not sure I can justify that. Will there be any significant bump in 4k video editing and encoding, which I do a lot off at the moment. Bear in mind I'm upgrading from a Radeon HD 7750.

If the software you use for video editing/encoding can take advantage of the video card then yes, there would be a very significant bump for that workload.

Mikojan posted:

Any consensus about the coolest / quietest aftermarket cooler for the 10x0 series?

I'm trying to bunch up all the reviews to get an overal view but reviewers keep using different methods / setups to measure sound and temps...

I'm leaning towards the MSI gaming X but if EVGA 3.0 ACX is as cool / quiet I'd rather get the EVGA to have a shot at stepping up to the Ti.

The EVGA ACX 3.0 should be plenty quiet, I saw some reviews on youtube of it and until the fans are turned way up, like manually set to higher speeds than they would go in real life usage, they are very quiet.

Though I would not bet on stepping up to the Ti, I expect it to be released some time next year, not within the 3 month step-up period if you buy any time soon.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone with an overclocked 10xx or 9xx card have a problem in Overwatch where the whole screen get a yellow and then green tint? Doom has been running fine but I've lowered the core down for Overwatch without a fix. I saw others on Reddit mentioning it and one said he has to turn off the OC anytime he plays. Just Overwatch though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mikul posted:

A 980 is good enough for that, Doom runs extremely well.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone with an overclocked 10xx or 9xx card have a problem in Overwatch where the whole screen get a yellow and then green tint? Doom has been running fine but I've lowered the core down for Overwatch without a fix. I saw others on Reddit mentioning it and one said he has to turn off the OC anytime he plays. Just Overwatch though.

I have had issues with Overwatch being less tolerant of an overclock than 3dmark or Heaven lol. I dont know what exactly its slamming so hard but it required me to turn it down. I dont remember the actual problem but it was definitely OC related visual errors with an overclock that worked fine with everything else.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I have had issues with Overwatch being less tolerant of an overclock than 3dmark or Heaven lol. I dont know what exactly its slamming so hard but it required me to turn it down. I dont remember the actual problem but it was definitely OC related visual errors with an overclock that worked fine with everything else.

World of Warcraft showed overclock instability on my GTX 1070 overclock where 3D Mark, Heaven and Doom all failed. Blizzard games tend to work out systems a bit differently than most other games, they tend not to be super graphically demanding, but will work your whole system more than most.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Warcraft3 used to be a better memory tester than memcheck.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I had been getting some weird green artifacting in XCOM2 and Witcher 3 with my G1 1070. Often the system would hang and I'd need to resort to the power button. I'd tried DDU several times and was at a loss. Then 3 days ago, after much googling, I disabled the PCI-E active state power management in my desktop's balanced mode profile. Moving it from moderate power saving to off seems to have cleared up the issues.

A few days and single digit hours of gaming isn't conclusive, but so far it appears to have solved the issue.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Are the RX 480 AIB cards supposed to launch tomorrow? For some reason I have July 11 in my head as the date, but now I can't find anything about it. Did I dream this?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If the software you use for video editing/encoding can take advantage of the video card then yes, there would be a very significant bump for that workload.

The EVGA ACX 3.0 should be plenty quiet, I saw some reviews on youtube of it and until the fans are turned way up, like manually set to higher speeds than they would go in real life usage, they are very quiet.

Though I would not bet on stepping up to the Ti, I expect it to be released some time next year, not within the 3 month step-up period if you buy any time soon.

The only thing I hear on the 1070 ACX 3 is some slight coil whine, but I do have the sides of my class off right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Natron posted:

Are the RX 480 AIB cards supposed to launch tomorrow? For some reason I have July 11 in my head as the date, but now I can't find anything about it. Did I dream this?

The only date I've seen is the ETA on the 480 Nitro at OCUK, which is the 22nd :shrug:

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Pfffft, that sucks. I don't know where I got the 11th from, but I like that far better. I just want definitive answers, and I want to see if the RX 480 will be good enough with a non-hosed up power supply and a decent cooler. It's SO close to what I want, but it's not quite there...

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I've heard rumors of an NDA until the 22nd regarding details on AIB 480s? Or something? I dunno.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

I seem to recall someone holding a competition/giveaway for an AIB 480 with the 10th or 11th being the final day to enter. Some people jumped to the conclusion that the card would be launched on the 11th. That's probably what you heard.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Drakhoran posted:

I seem to recall someone holding a competition/giveaway for an AIB 480 with the 10th or 11th being the final day to enter. Some people jumped to the conclusion that the card would be launched on the 11th. That's probably what you heard.

That would make sense and makes me feel slightly less crazy, so I'm officially accepting that as the answer. I'll go back into waiting I guess.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Natron posted:

That would make sense and makes me feel slightly less crazy, so I'm officially accepting that as the answer. I'll go back into waiting I guess.

If memory serves, it was Powercolor's cut off date for entries for their 480 giveaway.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

JnnyThndrs posted:

A lot. I went from a Radeon 6950 to a 7950@1ghz to a 780ti over the course of a few years in my gaming box and the 6950-7950 swap was huge. 6950's are an old architecture and the 7950 is GCN, which is still being used(in an updated form).

My secondary box is running the 7950 with a 2500K and it runs everything at 1080p fine, as long as I drop some of the bells-n-whistles on the newest games.

Depends on when you bought the 7950, because GCN was rather underwhelming in 2012 and only 33% faster than a 6950 for $400+ is pretty bad IMO. It was much more attractive when it became $200 by Q3 2013.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Palladium posted:

Depends on when you bought the 7950, because GCN was rather underwhelming in 2012 and only 33% faster than a 6950 for $400+ is pretty bad IMO. It was much more attractive when it became $200 by Q3 2013.

Yeah, I bought it about a week before the 290/290x came out for $180 after rebate, it was screaming deal - XFX twin-fan cooler and all. Especially since it's still alive and kicking.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, I bought it about a week before the 290/290x came out for $180 after rebate, it was screaming deal - XFX twin-fan cooler and all. Especially since it's still alive and kicking.

I used an R9 280 (7950 rebrand) for a couple months and it's a p. OK card all things considered. The only knock against it is that it doesn't support FreeSync. But it's a much better card overall than 7850s nowadays.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

sauer kraut posted:

That was a good deal ~1.5 years ago. I'd wait a couple days for an aftermarket RX 480 that runs cool, quiet and factory undervolted.

The fact that this is even a thing :ughh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mikul posted:

If you don't need the latest and greatest, some 980Ti cards are coming down in price well below a 1070. Would be more than enough for DOOM and will hold you over until you can get a current or next gen card, I think they're pretty close performance-wise.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If you don't need the latest and greatest, some 980Ti cards are coming down in price well below a 1070. Would be more than enough for DOOM and will hold you over until you can get a current or next gen card, I think they're pretty close performance-wise.

Any idea how low prices will fall? I want to play older games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 and GTA V at 1920x1080. Wouldn't 980Ti be plenty to do that?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Bioshuffle posted:

Any idea how low prices will fall? I want to play older games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 and GTA V at 1920x1080. Wouldn't 980Ti be plenty to do that?

A 980 Ti is still pretty drat close to a 1070, especially when comparing OC'd ones. It's still one of the top 5 or so fastest GPU's on the market with the 980 Ti, Titan X and 1070 all being really close in performance, only the GTX 1080 is really above any of those.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bioshuffle posted:

The 980ti will only drop in price for a while until stock dries up then they'll bounce back for the SLI premium.

For what you want I'd get a used 970 or wait and see what the 1060 looks like under benchmarks.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Deuce posted:

The fact that this is even a thing :ughh:

It's what happens when the target is 1.0v to 1.05v and yet that'll only give you 15-20% of the volume and skips the testing cost if you just set it at 1.15v and have 90% work. This doesn't seem to be AMDs fault, rather GloFo is an awful albatross around AMDs neck.

I'm hoping for some firesale, 100-120$ prices on 380Xs when the RX470 drops, seems to slot well between an RX460 and RX470. Would it be fair to say GPU considerations by the start of August would be

$600+: GTX 1080
$379-599: 1070
$300-378: 980ti
$200-299: RX480 or 1060 (970 and 390X at very low end)
$100-199: RX470, 380X, or 960
$99 or less: RX460 and ???

Also scores were leaked (so grain of salt) of the 1060 and it seems RX480 stock = 1060 stock and RX480 1.35Ghz = 1060 2.0Ghz. Guess it'd be really down to pricing then and if so It might be hard to recommend a 1060 except in power limited cases?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Are there non-Ti 980s, and if so, where would you estimate those should fall?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, 980 would be about where the RX480/1060 is.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
But what will be a better buy? A custom RX480 8GB for around $240 or a custom GTX1060 6GB for around $260? Or will it just come down to personal preference?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Probably whatever is available

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

spasticColon posted:

But what will be a better buy? A custom RX480 8GB for around $240 or a custom GTX1060 6GB for around $260? Or will it just come down to personal preference?

G-sync vs Freesync.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, 980 would be about where the RX480/1060 is.

I thought it was looking more like 480 ~= 970 and 1060 ~=980.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

wargames posted:

G-sync vs Freesync.

But I don't have a G-sync or a Freesync monitor. I do plan on getting a new monitor soon but it's still only going to be 1080p like my current monitor but with the refresh rate bumped up to 120Hz. But will a 1060 or RX480 cut the mustard for 1080p 120Hz gaming?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 11, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Your daily reminder that a gsync monitors cost $100+ more than the same freesync models. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

Your daily reminder that a gsync monitors cost $100+ more than the same freesync models. :v:

The way it's meant to be paid

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

spasticColon posted:

But I don't have a G-sync or a Freesync monitor. I do plan on getting a new monitor soon but it's still only going to be 1080p like my current monitor but with the refresh rate bumped up to 120Hz. But will a 1060 or RX480 cut the mustard for 1080p 120Hz gaming?

There are some newer games that aren't able to maintain 120 on the GTX1080 at 1080p (maxed). Either should be fine if you are okay with lowering details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Truga posted:

This seems like a "nobody cares" kind of thing. If you've got a hotshit 1080, you can obviously afford the premium. If you refuse to spend a dollar over $250 on a video card, you're probably hooked up to a 1080p TV anyway. It's like pointing out to a guy spending $95,000 on a car that a Viper costs $5,000 less than a Porsche.