Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Bottom Liner posted:

There's some delicious irony in everyone saying "this game really brings people together in the real world" while not finishing the rest of the sentence which is "...to stare at their phones and not really interact". It's a perfect metaphor for modern society.

I'm going to shove this post in a locker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Maybe he logged in with a different gmail ID and the names are just similar enough?

19Vegeta19 is a stupid enough name that I wont forget it soon. anyway, I took a screenshot of him repping red, if he swaps back to blue ill have proof.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

eSporks posted:

Weird, maybe the river by me is just bugged them. I need to find a pokestop I can drop a lure at and just farm some magikarps. Seriously a few hours of following a trail along the bank and not 1 near by water type.
Did you get any pokes at all during that time? If so, it might just not be marked as a water source or big enough to count. If not, the area is probably too rural for many spawns, period.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I keep hearing contradictory things about what determines eevee's forms. At this point it might just be random.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pokemon has leaked into corporeal reality.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

acksplode posted:

A cop patrolling a park in Oakland shouted "POKEMON GO??" at me from his cruiser window and I shouted back "YUP" and he went "YEAHHH!!!" This game could heal the nation

I went to a park and met some people who were setting lures between two pokestops and they told me I was the third person to join them, then two park rangers walked by and they were playing too, and they gave us their phone number and informed us of that last night they spend several hours clearing out the park of pokemaniacs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Out of pokeballs after having a 37cp bellsprout break out of 3 balls(:wtc:) and not get hit by another one that went right to it, so either I have to spend really money on more or hang out at some area with a pokestop (or several) in range. The game needs some daily login reward or something for those of us who don't live in cities. :sigh:

weekly font posted:

My favorite bar has three pokestops in reach and the staff keeps dropping lures. :newt:

I still have very little interest in gyms though.

I can only imagine that the bar I used to drink at in Decatur either is a pokestop or has multiple within range since it was right by a MARTA stop too.

eSporks posted:

If this is true I need to invest in a waterproof case, I already have a raft.

Lifeproof(or similar) cases are worth having in general if you don't mind the slight muffling of the phone speakers.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Another 50 magikarp till gyarados.

You lucky bastard. :(

acksplode posted:

Nintendo's stock price is up over 30% since this game released holy poo poo. Finally delivering on that Blue Ocean strategy for the first time in a decade

If Nintendo and Niantec can keep the hype going this game will likely cause a fundamental shift in how Nintendo operates because the game is currently the #1 grossing app right now which means millions in revenue per day.

eSporks posted:

Same, but I bought a bunch of lures because I'm not selfish.
Weird, maybe the river by me is just bugged them. I need to find a pokestop I can drop a lure at and just farm some magikarps. Seriously a few hours of following a trail along the bank and not 1 near by water type.

Are pokestop lured pokemon based on the area? I figured they were random like incense.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Fellow Atlanta Goons, it should please you to know that not only is the Big Chicken a Poke Gym, it's Boss Pokemon is giant meaty bird.

I can only hope when the Gen 3 mons are released Blaziken becomes the leader.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Walked around for over four hours with a friend yesterday, this poo poo has me feeling like a little kid again. Hope they can cull the bugs and keep the servers stable. I'm seriously thinking about a phone upgrade and a mobile charger off my next paycheck, gotta see if my pokefever dies down. Any anecdotes on iphone SE battery life?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have an IPhone 6S. Is this game going to gently caress it up? I like Pokemon but I like my phone more.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The 1hp gym bug has been loving me so hard. I got robbed out of a few gyms today and at no point could hold more than 1 before I finally said gently caress it and took the measly 10gold. I currently have 2 gyms under my control which is impressive for how active my area has been. I wish that there was more of an incentive to hold gyms longer, either xp/stardust bonus for successfully defending the gym from another trainer or some sort of reward for holding it X amount of hours.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Where should I go to get a Koffing?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Where should I go in Manhattan?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Where should I go to get a Koffing?

https://twitter.com/KWRose/status/752262483876782082

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ogmius815 posted:

I have an IPhone 6S. Is this game going to gently caress it up? I like Pokemon but I like my phone more.

I've had no issues with the game on my 6S so far.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

If you can charge your phone during work you should be fine.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I used an incense this afternoon just so I could take pictures of pokemon hanging out with my cats.

Went out this evening to yet another area devoid of stops and gyms.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is such a stupid lovely battery draining nongame but I still went walking with my wife for an hour when it was about 47C outside to capture some pokemon together. After work we come home and tell each other new gyms we found (There is literally no pokestop or gyms in our neighborhood, but a lot near work)

I think they fulfilled the dream of the social aspect of Pokemon way better than the games ever did.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 11, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The house next door is pokemon central. Every 15 minutes or so I can walk about 40 feet out my door and catch 3 pokemon. Caught 2 clefairy and a ghastly tonight. I guess living in no major city does have little perks (But there's no goddamn PokeStops or gyms anywhere close)

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is such a stupid lovely battery draining nongame but I still went walking with my wife for an hour when it was about 47C outside to capture some pokemon together. After work we come home and tell each other new gyms we found (There is literally no pokestops or gyms in our neighborhood, but a lot near work)

I think they fulfilled the dream of the social aspect of Pokemon way better than the games ever did.

Yeah, something I've been noticing is that the game itself is pretty weak, but the experience is so incredible that it more than makes up for the app's flaws

HighwireAct fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 11, 2016

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There's a big cemetery with loads of pokestops near me. I want to go through it, but also don't want to go near it at all. It's probably cubone/gastly central though.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm sure there will be a way to suggest or add pokestops and gyms in the future, (might auto-populate too, based on user frequency). While I doubt we'll see more features like trading or whatever, that needs to happen for people who live in areas that weren't Ingress locations, and I'm sure once things settle down it will.

Sucks to be in one of those areas for now though, for sure.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Theory: the 1% bug is a political message.

bows1 posted:

Gotta love when you drop a lure and the servers die for 30 minutes.

Apparently they're pretty good about replacing items when this poo poo happens. Report from the settings menu.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

My wife and I were out for a hike near the local reservoir looking for water Pokemon around sunset tonight. We didn't find anything, just the usual stuff that's everywhere here in the desert. We have our dog and it was nice out so we decide to go hiking along a nearby trail up the mountain to help hatch our eggs. After about 2 miles, we notice a pokestop at a trail marker. Once we get to it, we see something in the distance.

Is that an unclaimed gym, in the middle of the forest? We had to find out, even though it was almost dark.

Found it! This is apparently a gym, just a random point in the woods, no where near any civilization. We took the gym and stuck a couple Nidorinas in it that we caught on the hike. We'll see how long our secret forest gym remains.

On the way back down the mountain, this was the view

I love that there's something in this game for everyone.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
For someone that will play casually, should I just ignore gyms completely? I feel like I won't ever catch up to the people who play more than me which is fine. I just wanna fill my pokedex.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh dear. I was hoping maybe you could find them near like a vape shop or something.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
They really need to add some Pokémon Centers as pharmacies and hospitals to heal your Pokés at.

Having your home as a healing stop would be great, too; having to burn through finite potions and revives is kind of a pain

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I missed a Kabuto spawn by seconds =(

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Had this game for 2.5 days now and gotten way more absorbed into it than I expected. Logged about 17km of app distance. Wish it would count steps when the app is not active though. Hatched a Hitmonlee from a 10k egg tonight :toot:, shame it is only 110cp, doubt it is worth the stardust to power it up :( My wife got a Snorlax from her 10km egg, yay :3: Finally getting several pokemon that are large enough to realistically take on the local gyms, they are all guarded by 800-1200cp pokemon. Also, everyone decided to say 'gently caress team yellow' and didn't tell my wife and I, I feel like we are 2 of the 10 or so members in all of Seattle.

e: Also found a Kabuto today, it is only a 25cp, but seemingly rare, is it worth trying to beef it up?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ogmius815 posted:

I've never heard of an app loving up a newer iPhone so no. It drain battery pretty quickly though. Turn on battery saver and put your phone in your pocket upside down when walking around.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

GoodBee posted:

I used an incense this afternoon just so I could take pictures of pokemon hanging out with my cats.

Went out this evening to yet another area devoid of stops and gyms.

If people don't want to sign up for ingress hit me up on discord or say something in the thread and I can paste your local area.

(Just because an area is blank on that map doesn't mean there are no spots. There's a massive amount of culling at that zoom level)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

poemdexter posted:

For someone that will play casually, should I just ignore gyms completely? I feel like I won't ever catch up to the people who play more than me which is fine. I just wanna fill my pokedex.
Yeah, getting XP is king. If you cannot beat a gym you're pretty much just wasting Potions and Revives you could have used when you got a better team. Gyms and consumables will come and go but your XP affects everything so it's better to concentrate on the grind. Maybe if later you have a near full inventory you could burn some off and take a chance?

Even if all you want is a fancy collection of pokes, you gotta level up quite a bit to get away from receiving rats, birds and other trash.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I love how there are three poke spots near my apartment but just out of reach.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Somewhere in Los Angeles a Norteño quietly plays with his phone in the corner, where none of his brothers can see his secret shame: he knows Team Mystic is the superior team and the world will drown in a blue tide of blueness.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is there a way to add Pokestops?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

:yikes:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a gym on a little island in the middle of the river on the trail I take to work. There's no way onto it except by boat or swimming (oh god no).

Of course, three people have their pokemon stationed there already.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

SynthOrange posted:

There's a gym on a little island in the middle of the river on the trail I take to work. There's no way onto it except by boat or swimming (oh god no).

Of course, three people have their pokemon stationed there already.

Makes sense, 99% of people won't go out to try to take it over, your poke stays there a long time, profit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/herring-island

Ah, clever. If someone with their own transport doesnt rock up, they have a gym spot for the whole week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

sorry if its been asked already but how do you add your pokemon to a team controlled gym?

all I could see was an option to fight it but I just wanted to give it some backup

• Locked thread