Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Mustang posted:

My first char was DC because thats what goons picked at launch. Personally I think DC has the most boring areas to quest through. The Redguard areas are pretty cool though.

I'm not sure if the difficulty isn't tweaked in the first DC area or what but I've been steadily doing quests 2 lvls or so above my lvl with no issue. For a first area the quests were pretty good I thought for the MMO game scene and I actually read the flavor text some. When I move to the next "place" does the leveling get harder or is it just a slow steady grind until 50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Virigoth posted:

I'm not sure if the difficulty isn't tweaked in the first DC area or what but I've been steadily doing quests 2 lvls or so above my lvl with no issue. For a first area the quests were pretty good I thought for the MMO game scene and I actually read the flavor text some. When I move to the next "place" does the leveling get harder or is it just a slow steady grind until 50?

No, the game is that easy throughout. I can still remember the launch days when Doshia was brutally hard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Virigoth posted:

Yeah it's pretty steady and if you explore and do everything in each area you will outlevel everything by 2-4 levels the whole way through.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Anyone know of a good method of farming the Thieves Guild or Outlaw motifs? I saw a few mentions of farming that one Delve for outlaw motifs but after 10 boss kills I hadn't gotten a single motif off of him. Managed to get a few just from questing but would like to finish out the set.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fried Sushi posted:

Anyone know of a good method of farming the Thieves Guild or Outlaw motifs? I saw a few mentions of farming that one Delve for outlaw motifs but after 10 boss kills I hadn't gotten a single motif off of him. Managed to get a few just from questing but would like to finish out the set.

Honestly the best way to farm TG motifs is to run a group of 4 and do each individual daily heist quest together. That's how berke and I did it for like 3 days and managed to trade the extras we got with each other.

It's going to be the same way for DB as well, btw.

Raysere
May 13, 2013
I'm looking to get back into TESO after quitting shortly after launch (more due to IRL circumstances than not enjoying the game). I am interested in playing a Nightblade and was wondering how Stam and Magicka variants stack up vs one and other with the Dark Brotherhood update.
Keen on giving Magicka a try if it provides a smooth leveling curve. The only information I've found were from Deltia's guides and I'm not sure how up to date those are.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Scyantific posted:

No, the game is that easy throughout. I can still remember the launch days when Doshia was brutally hard.

Oh, right, I wondered why whenever I saw a Harvester my eyebrows twitched with repressed fury.

Raysere
May 13, 2013
Could someone shoot me a guild invite @Tobias_Kruzhor, please?

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
My SSD died. Getting a new one sent so I'll be back like Thursday?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

What's the rationale behind mag vs sta builds? Is it just sta if you wanna swing weapons around otherwise mag?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Raysere posted:

I'm looking to get back into TESO after quitting shortly after launch (more due to IRL circumstances than not enjoying the game). I am interested in playing a Nightblade and was wondering how Stam and Magicka variants stack up vs one and other with the Dark Brotherhood update.
Keen on giving Magicka a try if it provides a smooth leveling curve. The only information I've found were from Deltia's guides and I'm not sure how up to date those are.

gently caress Deltia guides, here's why:

*posts a build*
"HEY GUYS THIS BUILD IS NOVICE FRIENDLY AND REQUIRES NO END-GAME GEAR!"
*build asks for Divines Engine Guardian 2-piece set, which is effectively an end-game gearset*

Also he got my two grinding dungeons nerfed for not being able to keep his mouth shut.

If you want a guide for magicka NB, or any stam class in general, just scroll through tgieday's post history, and look for "build."

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Rasmussen posted:

What's the rationale behind mag vs sta builds? Is it just sta if you wanna swing weapons around otherwise mag?

In most RPGs, resource pools only affect your sustain. In ESO, resource pools also contribute to your damage. Skills that use stamina scale off of weapon power and max stamina; skills that use magicka scale off of spell power and max magicka. That means you're better off maximizing either magicka or stamina for the best dps. Trying to split them both down the middle works alright at low levels, but eventually loses out as you get more attribute points, enchants, gear bonuses, and champion points to choose from.

Contrary to what the designers of the game think (I'm looking at you Pelinal), this is a really good thing. Instead of there being one "best dps" build, every class can combine either magicka-using weapon and class skills to make a magicka build, or stamina-using weapon and class skills to make a stamina build. (All class skills start out using magicka, but some of them have stamina morphs). There's always at least two solid dps options for your class, so you're more likely to enjoy one of them.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I've got a question--I asked for a guild invite right when I started playing, a few pages back, and I don't think I got one. Is this a game where you have to be a minimum level to join guilds, or be online at the time where the invite is sent out? I'm only level 7 and working through the intro stuff pretty leisurely.

I'd really love to be social but I definitely don't want to bug anyone. @atomicgeek if these things are still going out, yell at me if I'm doing this all wrong.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

tgidieday posted:

In most RPGs, resource pools only affect your sustain. In ESO, resource pools also contribute to your damage. Skills that use stamina scale off of weapon power and max stamina; skills that use magicka scale off of spell power and max magicka. That means you're better off maximizing either magicka or stamina for the best dps. Trying to split them both down the middle works alright at low levels, but eventually loses out as you get more attribute points, enchants, gear bonuses, and champion points to choose from.

Contrary to what the designers of the game think (I'm looking at you Pelinal), this is a really good thing. Instead of there being one "best dps" build, every class can combine either magicka-using weapon and class skills to make a magicka build, or stamina-using weapon and class skills to make a stamina build. (All class skills start out using magicka, but some of them have stamina morphs). There's always at least two solid dps options for your class, so you're more likely to enjoy one of them.

Thanks for this explanation. Are there magicka melee weapons or are they strictly caster staves? Or is it just want to use a sword, build stam?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Rasmussen posted:

Thanks for this explanation. Are there magicka melee weapons or are they strictly caster staves? Or is it just want to use a sword, build stam?
Melee weapons and bows use stamina, staves use magicka. However that only applies to the skill themselves: paradoxically going dual-wield will also increase your magicka class skills, so if you want you can wield and hit things with a sword as a magicka build, though since your weapon skills won't be as good you'll have to rely on your class skills.

The reason for this is that skill damage is calculated on both your maximum stamina/magicka plus your weapon/spell damage and all staves and weapons increase both those stats.
Since dual-wielding uses two weapons, you have an overall bigger increase in both weapon and spell damage (though it requires you to be close if you want to hit with them when you weave in attacks between skill uses while a staff allows you to use light and heavy attacks from a distance).

radintorov fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 12, 2016

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
What sort of approach is generally taken with crafting? It seems pretty clear that most of the crafting skills are useful albeit long to grind out, but the use of skill points makes it seem like its hard to commit to too many before gimping usefulness in combat.

Am I better off making a 100% crafting alt or would I be OK doing maybe 2 or 3 crafting skills each for a few characters to minimize the number of skill points?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
There's actually a poo poo ton of skill points available in the game, and if you only want to max one weapon tree and one class tree, you'd probably have more than enough to max all the crafting trees.

Some of the crafting stuff can be avoided though. The Keen Eye skills are really only worth putting a single point into, if that, and Keen Eye on enchanting is pointless since the rune nodes already glow on their own. Hirelings aren't really worth any points either, as a lack of mats is never really an issue in the game if you're gathering everything you come across.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hirelings aren't really worth any points either, as a lack of mats is never really an issue in the game if you're gathering everything you come across.
Counterpoint everyone needs to experience Pacrooti at least once. :colbert:

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

The provisioning hireling is rad and gives you purple food mats.

all the hirelings are rad because you have enough skills points and farming mats can be time consuming.

Spreading the crafting professions (tailoring, blacksmithing and woodworking) across multiple characters is not recommended as you have to get motifs for each different character.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

atomicgeek posted:

I'd really love to be social but I definitely don't want to bug anyone. @atomicgeek if these things are still going out, yell at me if I'm doing this all wrong.

I got you! Apparently we all just missed your post or something cuz we're usually really on top of this poo poo. Welcome goon!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hirelings aren't really worth any points either, as a lack of mats is never really an issue in the game if you're gathering everything you come across.

The hell they're not. I got hirelings on 5 toons and that poo poo adds up even if I only do it once a day instead of sperging out and putting them on a perfect 12 hour timer. And yeah, I plan on getting all 12 toons on the hireling drug.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
This is an effort-ish post constrained by my ignorance of things and the fact that I am too lazy to look up actual prices on stuff. Others who have mastered these areas will no doubt correct my errors, omissions and misconceptions.

There are perhaps four grinds in the game and several related end game economies.

1- level 1-50: pretty easy and can be done via questing or just slaughtering everything. Dungeons are good experience, level The Undaunted line and are a source of gear. Get a full, set of training gear made by a goon crafter early.

2- Champion Points: begins after your first character hits 50. Current cap is 501, to be raised by 30 points or something next update. 1-300/400 goes pretty quickly. Enlightenment, which can build over a 12 day period when unused, accelerates the rate. Champion points earned on one character apply to any lvl 50 alt. Once an alt has reached lvl 50 they also earn champion points. Playing any level 50 uses up your enlightenment buff. Personally I have sometimes leveled an alt once my enlightenment is exhausted in order to let it build back up, which happens over a 12 day period when you are not depleting it. Getting to cp160 is relatively fast and the jump off point for using end game gear and getting it from drops. Once you start to accumulate end game gear that can be used on multiple characters the game is extremely alt friendly.

3- End Game gear/materials: in some ways this is the biggest grind since the game has x10 step function for crafted cp160 gear. Getting end game gear is really where the economies kick in. There are several.

4- Crafting: all the crafting lines are fairly easy to level, save enchanting. There are two primary ways to level, deconstructing gear and writs. If you are questing there are plenty of skill points to level multiple lines of crafting. There several aspects to having a leveled crafter:
raw level and use of skill points for passives: This is worth doing because in battle leveled zones, such as Wrothgar (and all Silver and Gold after One Tamriel I think?) the material nodes (ore, textile, solvents and critters for hides) will yield materials based upon how many points you have in the first passive of the crafting line. If you have not leveled you will get a mix of materials based on your level and on the zone, greatly decreasing the amount of end game mats you are collecting. Mats from hirelings (which are great) also scale off the the level of the first passive. If you wanted to take a minimal as approach to leveling a crafter for the sake of gathering materials you could just do the raw level and put points into the first passive (10 points), hirelings (3 points) and the one for extraction of materials, since you will be deconstructing everything. This would be just for accumulating cp160 mats. If you want to level crafts, join a crafting guild (decon circle jerk is ours I think). You get much more exp from deconning someone else's gear than your own. This means that you can sell more dropped gear, use the mats to make gear and put it in that guild bank while taking gear from the bank to decon. (A lvl50 character can go from crafting 0-50 in just a couple of days by deconning high level gear, but personally I would not wait until then on your first character.)

research: this is if you want to make your own gear. Crafted gear requires that you have a number of traits researched and more or less levels according to how many traits you have. There are a total of 9 traits per every piece of gear. Both Blacksmithing and Clothing have 14 pieces of gear to research. The times for research are fixed, though if you are going this route you will want to invest in the research passive for the skill. With the passive maxed you can research three traits at once per skill line and the times are greatly reduced. The research times progressively increase according to how many traits you already have on that piece of gear. I don't remember what the total is to get nine traits, but once you hit 8/9 traits on a piece of gear it starts to be in the area of a month for one trait. This is fixed so if you are interested it's worth doing early. Many goons have researched everything (thus completely ruining your game) and will be happy to make gear, though mats/tempers become an issue at high level and you will probably want to contribute those. Research takes a long time and the time amounts are fixed so if you are interested this is worth starting right away. Get the Craftstore add on. It is your friend.

motifs: these are dropped/some crown store (not necessary), or can be bought at guild traders. Some of the DLC motifs are worth a lot.

tempers: this is what allows you to improve gear from normal to legendary, thus improving stats. You get them from deconning, gear, writs, guild traders and occasionally from chests and such.

Solvents and oils are easy to come by if you leveled Alchemy.

Recipes and most provisioning ingredients are easy to come by. Frost Miriam and Bevrez Juice for purple food and drink really only come from writs or hirelings I think.

Which brings us to economies I think.

gold: not that constrained. Doing most things yields some gold. Leveling a character should be gold positive. I think it is about 100k profit per lvl50 if you aren't spending and you don't need to be. I am lousy at buying/selling in the game thus far, but if you join a good trade guild I think you can mostly eliminate the gold question for most things. You could decide to not level any crafts at all and just be rich and get most everything you need, though I feel the time investment would be greater over time than leveling crafting. Additionally, if you want to be rich, but not actually be making your gear you probably still want to level crafting in order to sell mats/tempers which for cp160/epic/legendary are expensive.

telvar: earned in the DLC Imperial City (IC). Telvar stones are used to buy end game mats (e.g. Legendary runes), IC Armor sets (some of which are nice) and boxes that contain Armor, polymorphs, etc. IC also has a key fragment economy of trophies dropped from critters. These let you get weapon sets (e.g. willpower, endurance, agility) which are often included in end game builds. Grinding IC therefore gives you: gold, telvar, fragments, and crafting mats from deconned gear and leathery critters. There are containers for provisioning mats, but I don't recall seeing any alchemy or rune stones (though some drop from rare mobs (e.g trove scamp).

end game mats: Rubedo, Rubedite and Ancestor silk are their own sort of economy. Purple and yellow tempers and runes for purple and yellow glyphs are their own economy. Here is the thing about mats. While you are leveling up to cp160 one piece of gear costs @15 mats of the appropriate level up to cp150. There is x10 jump on the cost of cp160 gear, meaning the same piece of gear now costs 150 pieces of that material. Again, this is why you want cp160 characters to have maxed crafting lines since the jump causes a large constraint on everything and having 10 points in the first passive let's y get materials yourself. The commodity constraints are themselves or lead to good sources of gold of course, if you go that route. If you level crafting, never sell raw materials. Refining them yields tempers and trait components.

Alliance Points (AP): these are earned in PvP. They are used for buying PvP consumables such as siege engines and for buying end game gear from vendors (armor sets, boxes etc.). In theory once a week the PvP vendor sells one type of monster helm, which are otherwise RNG from dungeons, but he has been a bit bugged and inconsistent.

You also get reward gear in your mail from playing pvp and running dungeons. It is cp160 once you are. Do not randomly try on gear since this binds it to your account and prevents it from being sold.

Maelstrom arena, trials, and craglorn are their own particular grinds. You can grind Achievements for cool dye colors. Fighter's guild levels from killing undead, daedra, dolmen's, and the quest line. Mages from books and quest line. Reading book shelves levels base skill lines. Skill lines also level from using them. Vamp levels from raw experience. Soul magic levels from the main quest line. Werewolf levels by kill things when in Werewolf form or turning in quests when transformed. Legerdemain levels from stealing stuff and fencing it. TG and DB level from running that DLC. Alliance levels from running PvP. Armor levels from wearing it. Anything levels from equipping it or having it on your skill bar while killing things or turning in quests.

Tl;dr?
So for end game/gearing the constraints are:
- champion points (not hard to get to cp160), but a very real difference in how a low cp and max cp character runs.
- equipment materials: Rubedo, ancestors silk and Rubedite (ruby ash is plentiful since there are only 6 woodworking pieces and not everyone uses them). (from deconstruction, hirelings, gathering or guild trader/gold)
- Epic/Legendary tempers and ingredients (for provisioning and alchemy). (from decon, writs, hirelings or gold)
- Columbine for potions (always, always pick any Columbine you see.)
- Stinkhorn for poisons (but people don't really use poisons currently)
- AP or Telvar if you want that gear (both fairly easy to earn)
- Monster Sets only come from Undaunted (or limited helm rotation from PvP vendors, these are also fairly unique I that they are not tradeable.)
- gold: not really constrained, but buying a complete dropped set for one of the really desirable sets with the desirable traits is going to cost you more than you will have without having entered the life of a trader yourself.
- psijic exp pots and ingredients: these are from fishing and generally not considered worth grinding/selling because of the bad RNG, unless you just love fishing in game.
- high level runes (Kuta drop rates for gold glyphs seems to have been recently stealth nerfed. Hakeijo only dependably comes from Telvar.)
- Frost Miriam and Bevrez Juice for purple food and drink, which you can get by without. (Writs, hirelings, guild traders)
- Nirncrux: this is now really only for getting 9 traits researched as most people no longer run it as a trait. It is rare and can basically only be gotten by paying a fair amount or using surveys gotten from running Craglorn writs, which you only get with 9 points into the first passive.

Hope this is not overly confusing and moderately useful.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 12, 2016

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Nice effort post. If I'm going to beg for training gear do I want to level off weight armor too? (1 piece light one piece heavy) or just go all medium armor? Starting off as stamina nb. Do I need to join the crafting guild to beg there?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, I recommend leveling everything while you level, it's easier to do while you level up than it is later.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Chief thing enticing me is that, when content is good and done, I will play through the game again with a new character as my 'headcanon original character DO NOT STEAL'.

Because this game will eventually suffer the fate of all MMOs worldwide and die.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hey doomfunk tell whoever's in charge of quest rewards to make the Goblin costume/polymorph from that one Stonefalls quest a quest reward so I can keep it permanently.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

Hey doomfunk tell whoever's in charge of quest rewards to make the Goblin costume/polymorph from that one Stonefalls quest a quest reward so I can keep it permanently.

Is that the spider silk goblin disguise? I still have mine and use it all the time to hide my huge white vamp tail in PvP. The basic disguise has you all hunched over and gibbering a lot. If you run it with the DB personality it turns you into a fetching goblin prince with only the occasional hunching and gibbering to activate waystones and such.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
My buddies got this game yesterday, and made me buy it too.

OP seems good as far as a description of the game goes, but are there any good beginner FAQ/resources stuff outside the forums? So far I only had time to poke around the Coldharbour tutorial zone (game did not seem too keen explaining why I was there, will the story go to more detail later?) before heading to work.

Super early intial impressions are so far pretty good. Game looks good enough, first person view seems usable, UI isn't a hell of tens of quick icons, character movement doesn't feel like the usual 3rd person floaty poo poo you get in most MMO's.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'm not in the goon guild but can I get one of those sweet training sets sent to @Loafers?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I hadn't given much thought to the training trait, does that boost flat experience or does it also increase the amount of experience gathered in the different skill trees? Would it still be worth crafting/requesting a set of medium armor at level 25?

Also, at what level does one consider becoming a vampire for a nightblade build?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I hadn't given much thought to the training trait, does that boost flat experience or does it also increase the amount of experience gathered in the different skill trees? Would it still be worth crafting/requesting a set of medium armor at level 25?

Also, at what level does one consider becoming a vampire for a nightblade build?

Training gear now increases experience from all kills. This means it also applies to anything you have on the bar, wearing, using I think since all those level based in exp from kills. Probably means it does not boost exp from turning in quests.

Regardless the answer to the lvl 25 question is absolutely yes it is worth getting training gear if you want to level faster.

I think the intended level for vamping up is around 38. However, the quest is doable much, much earlier though it might take some creative kiting and such. Vamp levels up based on the raw experience you are getting. The amount of gross experience is geared to level 38 or something so at lower levels if you are vamped it will level slowly. At high levels, post 50 and such it levels relatively quickly. Personally I like to get it pretty early and just let it level in the background while using the passives. (I feel staying at vamp 2 is useful for leveling) I have based builds on the skills, but I would not say the skills are particularly useful for leveling, save the Bats ULT maybe. Both the skills can be very useful for pvp though giving classes without a fear or easy access to major expedition access to both those things should they wish.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I would not go vampire as a nightblade, honestly. All of the bonuses that come with vampirism are readily available as the nightblade default toolkit. Really the only bonuses you'd be getting are the damage reduction and additional stat regen.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Scyantific posted:

I would not go vampire as a nightblade, honestly. All of the bonuses that come with vampirism are readily available as the nightblade default toolkit. Really the only bonuses you'd be getting are the damage reduction and additional stat regen.

Same. Regen is nice on anything for PvE, but pvp meta (and maybe a lot of nb builds in general) is burst damage. You have fear, self healing and speed if you want them already.

Of course if you want to be a pale rider striking fear into the hearts of your opponents (by which I mean turning into ash at the slightest hint of fire and being vulnerable to all fighters guild skills in PvP, including dawnbreaker which is currently the most widely used by Stam builds) then go for it.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 13, 2016

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
At what level can I start PvPing and not get steamrolled, and where should I do it? All I really care about at this point is getting enough levels in the Assault line to get Vigor.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I just got this game. Any hot tips for a starting-out Templar?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NT Plus posted:

I just got this game. Any hot tips for a starting-out Templar?

Wear a piece of each armor type ( so like 1 heavy, 1 medium, 3 light for example. ). You want them all to level at the same time.

Have at least 1 skill from each Templar skill tree slotted as long as you can. It's the only way to level those skill trees, unlike weapons which can level through use.

Join the guilds immediately. Even if you don't do the questchains, you'll still start getting ranks from closing portals/finding books.

If you plan on becoming a crafter, you want to start as soon as possible thanks to research/research times. Same with mounts, you want to get your mount as soon as possible so you can start leveling it up.

Mount levels are 90% worthless depending on how you play. Bag space is only good if you don't have the sub crafting bags. Speed is only useful in Cyrodiil. Stamina is only useful for giving you a cool cosmetic for your mount.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'd say bagspace from mount is somewhat useful for leveling since you will be able to hold more stuff which turns into not having to find a merchant/go to town for a longer period.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Mount levels are 90% worthless depending on how you play. Bag space is only good if you don't have the sub crafting bags. Speed is only useful in Cyrodiil. Stamina is only useful for giving you a cool cosmetic for your mount.

My god look at these wrong opinions.

Speed = means you can ride faster than you can walk. Mounts start out stupid slow (slightly faster than regular walking), it takes about 20 points into speed to get them noticeably faster. Once you hit 60 tho you're sprinting past towns.

Stamina = Any time you take damage while mounted you lose mount stamina. If stamina goes to zero your rear end falls off the horse and you're left in a vulnerable animation for about 3 seconds. Not so dangerous in PvE, but in PvP that basically spells death and having to ride all over again

Bag Space = Mount bag space is the only way you're going to break past 110 once you've upgraded your actual bag space to the soft limit (the 19k gold bag upgrade, the rest just get ridiculously expensive, with the final bag space upgrade costing almost 80k gold).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:siren:Another awesome deal, ESO Gold Edition for $46:siren:
http://www.gamesdeal.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition-pc.html
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-gold-edition-pc-cd-key

Also, on the same site you can get ESOPlus 60 days+3000 crowns for $17.29
http://www.gamesdeal.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-60-days-eso-plus-membership-3000-crowns-pc.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I also resubbed to this game recently for some reason. Probably because Fallout 4 left me unsatisfied. I need that Bethgame crack.

I have three dudes, none of them above level 10, so I'm an utter noob. I could really use some assistance with understanding the progression mechanics in this game, and googling hasn't helped much.

Dark Elf Nightblade focusing on solo PvE questing
- Is Bow viable for solo questing?
- I really enjoy the bow/dagger/sneak playstyle from Skyrim. I don't even have the weapon swap unlocked yet. Is Dual Wield a dumb idea to complement Bow? I assume the game expects players to shoot mobs to open the fight, then switch to melee weapons once the mob gets close. But Dual Wield uses magicka, wtf? I heard that Two Handed is a better choice, but that just doesn't seem very rogue-like.
- Do I put ALL my stat points into Stamina? Don't I need hitpoints??
- I should wear all Medium armor, right?
- Which class abilities are useful for this kind of build? I already wasted points into Siphoning because self-heal sounded great, but apparently it doesn't scale well. Also, all these class abilities use Magicka, not Stamina (wtf)
- Is stealing or pickpocketing useful, or a waste of time? So far it appears to be only a source of bonus income.

Argonian Dragon Knight focusing on solo PvE questing
- Heavy Armor and a huge two-handed sword looks badass, please tell me that this is a viable build!
- More games should let you play as a dinosaur-man warrior covered in menacing spikes.
- ALL my points into Stamina?? But the class abilities use Magicka!
- I'd like this guy to be a stable, slightly tanky dude with some self-healing to make quests as stupidly easy as possible.

I don't know why this dead game thread is even still active, but I appreciate the assistance!

@AtorESO

• Locked thread