Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Falken posted:

I think he had to follow some instructions to get the car to actually get out of 7th gear.

First part of the message was perfectly fine, the car was stuck in 7th gear and about to come to a stop at that exact moment. The problem was nico panicking and asking how he should shift gears after he had put it in the driver default mode and was told "affirm". It wasn't even a complicated work around, it was some basic karting level poo poo. 10 seconds is fair and probably the minimum they were allowed to give as it was a minor mistake that didn't really impact the race, but they did have to implement the "rules is rules" thing Charlie is on at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

enri posted:

Another dull Hamilton run to the finish line.
He did crowd surf though

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

enri posted:

...and one final random question, there was a race where it started raining towards the end and Barrichello of all people had made some miraculous tyre choice the lap before it started raining and was lapping 5-6 seconds faster than everyone. It's bugging the poo poo out of me that I can't remember what race it was, I'm sure he was at Honda or Williams at the time. Anyone? :(

2008 British GP?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I love the radio ban because it's a perfect example of the kind of dumb rear end rule the people on Reddit or the Autosport boards would come up with if they ran F1.

It's retarded.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'm sure teams have figured out by now that they can use different ways of telling "I can't answer that" to answer basic questions.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It should either be you can't physically have a radio transmitter/receiver in the car or you can say anything you want. Anything inbetween is just going to be stupid.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

It should either be you can't physically have a radio transmitter/receiver in the car or you can say anything you want. Anything inbetween is just going to be stupid.

How else is Nico going to complain about Vestappen using his frog voodoo to stay ahead of him?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Man even as someone who thinks Nico is garbage. 10 second penalty for violating a rule that shouldn't exist loving sucks.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I'm sure teams have figured out by now that they can use different ways of telling "I can't answer that" to answer basic questions.

Is there anything specifically banning hand signals like baseball? I want to see Pat Symonds and Rob Smedley frantically sending coded signals by touching their belts and hats to explain to Massa what gear to use when cornering.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Nico's so bad he needs the FIA's incompetence on top of his own just to lose properly

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Norns posted:

Man even as someone who thinks Nico is garbage. 10 second penalty for violating a rule that shouldn't exist loving sucks.

The penalty was because he needed help being told how to change gear. Even after being told such, he managed to ignore the advice and jam it in the broken gear.
He's also (one of) the drivers who needed constant coaching that led to the ban in the first place.

Fraudberg brings it on himself.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The minutiae behind why he got the 10 second penalty doesn't matter when the rule itself sucks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The retarded thing is now every race strategists are going to be looking at every problem and wondering if it is worth the 10 second penalty to tell their driver, so it really isn't a ban.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They should just un-ban two-way telemetry. That way they could just reset the gearbox and put the engine into the correct mode from the pit box.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
If you think about it geargate and radiogate would be easily solved if teams just reverted to stick shifts and no radios like in the good 'ol days.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Whitey Ford posted:

Is there anything specifically banning hand signals like baseball? I want to see Pat Symonds and Rob Smedley frantically sending coded signals by touching their belts and hats to explain to Massa what gear to use when cornering.

Massa won't be able to figure it out. Pre-spring Massa could

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

gret posted:

They should just un-ban two-way telemetry. That way they could just reset the gearbox and put the engine into the correct mode from the pit box.

Autobots roll out

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

bring back carburetion The driver should have to adjust the air to fuel mixture themselves. I'm tired of these drivers having everything automated for them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Both from reddit:

https://streamable.com/4lq9

Kart Racing at Alonso's Track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieUSh-YoXk

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 11, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I assume it's now Sky that's producing the British GP? Because that was one of the worst race productions of the year.
New onboard-next-to-helmet cams are cool, though.

Also nice to see Verstappen proving this thread wrong.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Rosberg: “Gearbox problem.”

Engineer: “Driver default 1-0-1, chassis default 0-1, chassis default 0-1.”

Engineer: “Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear.”

Rosberg: “What does that mean, I have to shift through it?”

Engineer: “Affirm Nico, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you need to shift through it.”

Fraud.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

learnincurve posted:

Rosberg: “Gearbox problem.”

Engineer: “Driver default 1-0-1, chassis default 0-1, chassis default 0-1.”

Engineer: “Avoid seventh gear, Nico, avoid seventh gear.”

Rosberg: “What does that mean, I have to shift through it?”

Engineer: “Affirm Nico, you need to shift through it. Affirm, you need to shift through it.”

Fraud.

Thank you for finally posting it, because it really was just a language issue. Nico got punished for clarifying. If his engineer was more specific it would have been fine.

Avoid is not clear. He has two options, shift past it, or only go to 6th. That's what he was asking.

And this is all ridiculous. Thank god there are stupid rules cause otherwise what would F1 fans talk about??

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

bring back carburetion The driver should have to adjust the air to fuel mixture themselves. I'm tired of these drivers having everything automated for them.

Having driven my friend's Hyundai Veloster and tried adjusting the air to fuel mixture, I didn't find it much more difficult than on a simulator. Not sure if it will add much challenge to the drivers either way

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

nsaP posted:

And this is all ridiculous. Thank god there are stupid rules cause otherwise what would F1 fans talk about??

It's is an unbearable two weeks between races, praise FIA for generating a topic to squabble about. Praise Ferrari for resigning Kimi too, for the same reason.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Actually reading it again there it was not Nico's fault right? He was given the 'coaching' before he asked?

This radio poo poo is silly...anyway the next MotoGP race...

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Based on the wording of the FIA ruling it sounds like it was okay to tell Nico what mode to put the gearbox into to prevent it from exploding, but continuing on to tell him to avoid shifting into 7th gear was against the rules. I think the rule itself is dumb but this was a pretty clear violation of it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Rule or not. Nico continues to be hilarious and bad.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Norns posted:

Rule or not. Nico continues to be hilarious and bad.

We're debating rules, not fraud status

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nico is a fraud but Lewis is insufferable.

The only real solution is to support Fernando.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Thanks Ants posted:

Nico is a fraud but Lewis is insufferable.

And Dan.

And Jense.

But NOT :frog:

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Riso posted:

And Dan.

And Jense.

But NOT :frog:

Max is the best. It's only taken him a few races to show how much of a fraud Rickyclackyclongo is. Give him one more season and he'll prove himself to be the white Lewis Hamilton.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

nsaP posted:

Avoid is not clear. He has two options, shift past it, or only go to 6th. That's what he was asking.

Heaven forbid the driver should need to work out how to drive a compromised car; the hallmark of 'great' drivers in the sport since forever.
Many drivers have finished a race with a sticky gearbox by working it out themselves. It was absurdly obvious even from the HUD on the broadcast it was sticking in 7th both ways.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last week Fernando Alonso undid his seatbelt while driving, reached over and hit a button on the outside of his car.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Brainwrong posted:

Max is the best. It's only taken him a few races to show how much of a fraud Rickyclackyclongo is. Give him one more season and he'll prove himself to be the white Lewis Hamilton.

Ali G has been done.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

Thank god there are stupid rules cause otherwise what would F1 fans talk about??
HAM's wardrobe

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

El Hefe posted:

If you think about it geargate and radiogate would be easily solved if teams just reverted to stick shifts and no radios like in the good 'ol days.

There are no "gates" involved with any of those things, Hefe! :airquote:

Fo3 posted:

Haha, I noticed that too. Good on him.
He may have started the whole "britney" thing, but didn't appreciate the booing at all.

I need more history on this... it isn't just a worst thread thing?

That was awesome. 4 cool and good drivers.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Interesting stat about Max.

”Verstappen took his third podium finish and second in a row. In the six races since he joined Red Bull he has scored 77 points, more than Raikkonen (63), Ricciardo (64), Vettel (65) and even Rosberg (68). Only Hamilton has scored more points in the last six races, taking 110.“

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Max is kinda growing on me after watching him defend on Kimi and Fraudsberg.

Sucks he's part of Redbull. Same with Dan really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Thanks Ants posted:

Imagine if he had a car with an engine that wasn't a constant huge garbage fire.

• Locked thread