Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole show was actually product placement ad for martian coffee.

Weird space communists apparently make the best coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pixelante posted:

Anyone tried it? I worked in a place with spectacularly bad coffee and we used to put salt packets in with the grinds to make it taste less bitter. Seemed to help.

I think she said to use lemons if you can get them(but Holden probably can't seeing as he's on a lovely ice hauler).

So maybe try a bit of lemon juice in your coffee first before you toss in match heads. Or maybe she meant lemon zest / rinds :shrug:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You should always salt your coffee. Salt makes everything taste better.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

You should always salt your coffee. Salt makes everything taste better.

I couldn't agree more. Of Course I LOVE FLAVOR FAMILY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Ka2nkIi2I

Of course I now have hereditary gall bladder problems and hypertension. I miss you salt.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FetusSlapper posted:

Why was it such a personal thing? I'm defiantly reading way to much into a brief moment of a sci-fi space opera.

Not that they couldn't have added a layer for the show, but the match head thing doesn't happen in the book, as far as I recall, and the Holden/coffee connection pretty much boils down to Holden always being really appreciative of a good cup of coffee.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

FetusSlapper posted:

Sulfur seems like the last thing you want to add to something to make it taste better. Then again the Finns seem adamant about their lutefisk; but that is lye, not sulfur. I thought maybe it was like the old at a pinch of salt to a cup of coffee brewed by the bureaucratic standard but it kind of came off like he was weening himself off of some kind of future heroin or something. Why was it such a personal thing? I'm defiantly reading way to much into a brief moment of a sci-fi space opera.

That's the Swedes, lutefisk is disgusting. We eat baked and sweetened rye porridge that looks like poop. :colbert:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Anyone tried it? I worked in a place with spectacularly bad coffee and we used to put salt packets in with the grinds to make it taste less bitter. Seemed to help.

Egg shell is another homespun remedy for bad coffee.

I buy the cheapest coffee, and I've found that the low-end whole beans (grinding using a cheap electric spice grinder that is in no way suited for coffee) gives you a way nicer cup than the low-end pre-ground stuff. I still keep some of the latter on hand in the freezer for when I'm in a hurry or need to be really quiet in the morning though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Toast Museum posted:

but the match head thing doesn't happen in the book
You sure? Because that scene didn't come as a surprise to me. Can't be assed to reread the book to prove a point, tho.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I need a coffee.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Combat Pretzel posted:

You sure? Because that scene didn't come as a surprise to me. Can't be assed to reread the book to prove a point, tho.

Well, now I'm not sure. I think I recall taking the scene as a no-exposition version of "Holden is disappointed in his coffee options" rather than something explicitly from the book, but I could definitely be wrong. Either way, the gimmick boils down to Holden being kind of obsessive about good coffee, which is hard to find in space.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I am drinking a real coffee irl also breathing standard atmosphere at 1g

Suck it belters :smugdon:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my bones are of average density

suck it belters

belters dont drink milk, no calcium, no strong bones

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Maybe he's a prostitute! :v:

Strategic Tea posted:

Are they not just joking the guy is a bottom? :itisasexjoke:

Yeah that was actually the first thing that came to mind.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey, it's Bobbie!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/13/expanse-season-2-bobbie-draper-frankie-adams?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

:allears:

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Read the first book, loved it and dove immediately in to the second. Finished that in a few days and read the third and found it kinda disappointing. Now I'm ten pages into the fourth book and I haven't opened it on my kindle since last week. Anyone else feel like the quality dipped with 3?

Don't get me wrong, it was still a good book but it lost the momentum of the first two.

I thought the third was okay , but the fourth wasn't the best. The fifth was a great return to form though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I read the third book first and thought it was good enough to get me into the rest of the series. :shrug:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Egg shell is another homespun remedy for bad coffee.

I buy the cheapest coffee, and I've found that the low-end whole beans (grinding using a cheap electric spice grinder that is in no way suited for coffee) gives you a way nicer cup than the low-end pre-ground stuff. I still keep some of the latter on hand in the freezer for when I'm in a hurry or need to be really quiet in the morning though.
Came to post this. Egg shells used to be the classic thing way back in the old days (at least here in the Nordics) when you brewed coffee in your pot over a fireplace/stove. Since you only had that one pot with you out camping/the fields you added egg shells from the hardboiled eggs you made before and it would bind the ground coffee to the bottom of the pot and make it easier to pour in a cup without adding coffee grounds (plus less bitter). Also it totally sounds like something a Belter would do (if they had space eggs available :v:)

So glad I started reading this thread with a chemex brewed cup already in my hand, with an obligatory hard bread and liver paste

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zsinjeh posted:

Came to post this. Egg shells used to be the classic thing way back in the old days (at least here in the Nordics) when you brewed coffee in your pot over a fireplace/stove. Since you only had that one pot with you out camping/the fields you added egg shells from the hardboiled eggs you made before and it would bind the ground coffee to the bottom of the pot and make it easier to pour in a cup without adding coffee grounds (plus less bitter). Also it totally sounds like something a Belter would do (if they had space eggs available :v:)

So glad I started reading this thread with a chemex brewed cup already in my hand, with an obligatory hard bread and liver paste

There's no reason belter's wouldn't have eggs or livestock

I know Air and Water are at a premium, but food wise just feed them the recycled dead like they do with everyone else. Belter beef would be pretty bad I would imagine though, very low muscle on those cows.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Phi230 posted:

There's no reason belter's wouldn't have eggs or livestock

I know Air and Water are at a premium, but food wise just feed them the recycled dead like they do with everyone else. Belter beef would be pretty bad I would imagine though, very low muscle on those cows.

Plants are pretty much always going to be more energy-efficient. For belters who can afford meat, it's vat-grown, which avoids spending energy on all the parts of the animal you're not planning to eat. I think I recall mentions that their vat-grown meat is actually pretty good, so they've at least go that going for them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't remember any livestock being mentioned. Maybe chickens? Most of the food eaten in the Belt is grown on Ganymede and it's mostly plant stuff + vat meat.

I would imagine they have space catfish, they're good in a hydroponic loop. Eat the organic waste, poop fertilizer, and eat the fishies.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i saw the pictures of my girl bobbie draper so i started watching the show again. i am still madly in love with their anderson dawes. i will fight for you, anderson.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Milky Moor posted:

I read the third book first and thought it was good enough to get me into the rest of the series. :shrug:

I liked the third and fourth books a lot, but mostly because I like weird Clarkeian alien poo poo. I think the protomolecule aliens are fascinating and weird, and I love the unique challenges of trying to establish a foothold on a planet that didn't evolve to factor in humans. Plus, Bull and Anna own.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Probably all of that should be in spoiler tags.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I guess. Bull and Anna still own.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I was wondering when we gave up on spoiler tagging book series stuff. :(

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Season 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gj8tRaFIfs

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Oh god kiwi accents always stick out like a sore thumb in american tv shows :cripes:

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Interesting that they kept her accent, but I'm definitely not mad at it. I can't recall it even being mentioned in the books. Looks like you can kind of see where they're merging the books together. Pretty excited!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Antti posted:

That's the Swedes, lutefisk is disgusting. We eat baked and sweetened rye porridge that looks like poop. :colbert:

It's the Norwegians :argh:

The chemical weapon know as surströmming is our thing :sweden:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

Interesting that they kept her accent, but I'm definitely not mad at it. I can't recall it even being mentioned in the books. Looks like you can kind of see where they're merging the books together. Pretty excited!

in this grim future Kiwis are not extinct yet

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NZAmoeba posted:

Oh god kiwi accents always stick out like a sore thumb in american tv shows :cripes:

I didn't realize until I saw a screenshot with a caption that Bobbie is saying 'Who are we?' in the trailer. I thought it was just "Ooo- ahh- wei" as some sort of futuristic Marine ooh-rah. :eng99:

Looks like they didn't allow filming of the whole SDCC panel but they threw up a couple snippets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSJZj5XiTAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_ANGiYb2E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nW8KhUNtkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEfG7H4IqTo

Frankie Adams had some sort of flight delay so didn't make it in time, oh well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I finished reading Caliban's War and most of Abaddon's Gate in a little over a week, and I'm pretty interested to see how they merge the last half of Leviathan Wakes with Caliban's War. Also really excited to see how they translate the crazy poo poo in Book 3 to the screen, but I might be waiting a while for that.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I want to just say how loving bullshit it is to get this show outside of North America. The full season isn't available to stream or purchase digitally anywhere and it costs thirty five loving quid to get the series on disc. Even the loving trailers are all region locked! Saw a link earlier in the thread to a bunch of cool supplemental stuff they had up on the site? NOPE! Not allowed to loving look at that if you live in the UK!

It's like they actively don't want the show to do well. Glad I pirated it. Goddamn.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 15, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm waiting for the bluray to come out in Australia but that's super unlikely so I might just order the US version.

Same with The Magicians.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Also:

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/764988755883073536

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm waiting for the bluray to come out in Australia but that's super unlikely so I might just order the US version.

Same with The Magicians.

I assume those wouldn't play in an Australian Bluray player due to regions, I think there's a limit to how many times you can switch your computer's region or something? Seems like a hassle either way.

I wouldn't spend actual money on The Magicians.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I assume those wouldn't play in an Australian Bluray player due to regions, I think there's a limit to how many times you can switch your computer's region or something? Seems like a hassle either way.

I wouldn't spend actual money on The Magicians.

I have a region unlocked blu-ray player. Quite easy to buy in most big electronics stores :)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I assume those wouldn't play in an Australian Bluray player due to regions

Australia, Japan, and the US are all the same bluray region. EU is a different region (which it shares with China for some WTF reason)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
None of these clips from Syfy are available. Is it because I'm not American? :qq:

In the age of the internet, why do TV companies still restrict promotional youtube poo poo I DONT GET IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zzulu posted:

None of these clips from Syfy are available. Is it because I'm not American? :qq:

In the age of the internet, why do TV companies still restrict promotional youtube poo poo I DONT GET IT

Licensing and exclusivity deals with entities in that region.

• Locked thread