Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

:psyduck:

You'd think they were threatening to burn down Windurst to read that. Are people not aware that the game is basically in maint mode since almost all the PS2 dev kits are dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Eight-Six posted:

You'd think they were threatening to burn down Windurst to read that. Are people not aware that the game is basically in maint mode since almost all the PS2 dev kits are dead?

Yes. I'm also aware that maintenance doesn't come at an increased priced anywhere else in the world.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'd pay some bucks for a FFXI version of the fantasia but I'm willing to bet the same bucks that race is something embedded so deep into the code that it'd break the entire game.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Eight-Six posted:

People losing their poo poo over the smallest of slights is a time honored FFXI tradition

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kortel posted:

This is pretty much the bonus retainer slots in XIV. I honestly don't see why people are getting frustrated with this. No different than buying another character slot, isn't it?
Mules are half the price and provide more space.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just plowed through CoP up through 3-2 so I could get more RoV done. Rolling along pretty well. I'm 81 BST now so I should be able to handle a good amount of the content in my way before I need to take it to 99. Now I have to do ToAU through M18.

Also,

Shinjobi posted:

I don't like the idea at all but I'm not gonna pay for it so really it changes nothing for me.

:agreed:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

LiquidFriend posted:

Mules are half the price and provide more space.

And there's an increase in non-mulable rare/ex

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Unless you're minmaxing several jobs, or a total shitbird that hoards everything like frod, you should be fine without.

The whole thing is rubbish. The value is much higher with a mule and they've charged twice the amount. Mule allows me more daily points, AH slots and another opportunity to max a craft.

They spent very valuable development time on something aimed to bleed more money from a dwindling playerbase. Monetizing things in a subscription game is baffling.

The idea that they want you to pay them more, to store even more gear because the poor design dictates you need 97 pieces of armor to play whm, is amusing.

Disregarding ot because your inventory is fine isn't always going to work because you can be certain that S-E will ramp everything up to squeeze every last dollar from this game.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

LiquidFriend posted:

Unless you're minmaxing several jobs, or a total shitbird that hoards everything like frod, you should be fine without.

The whole thing is rubbish. The value is much higher with a mule and they've charged twice the amount. Mule allows me more daily points, AH slots and another opportunity to max a craft.

They spent very valuable development time on something aimed to bleed more money from a dwindling playerbase. Monetizing things in a subscription game is baffling.

The idea that they want you to pay them more, to store even more gear because the poor design dictates you need 97 pieces of armor to play whm, is amusing.

Disregarding ot because your inventory is fine isn't always going to work because you can be certain that S-E will ramp everything up to squeeze every last dollar from this game.

I'm not that familiar with the PS2 dev kits, but I don't think they spent valuable time developing this. They already had two, they likely just tweaked a number in their database or something.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So how can I cause more mobs to spawn on boats? I need me some ice spikes, and I can only get one phantom to spawn during a boat ride. It's annoying.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

So how can I cause more mobs to spawn on boats? I need me some ice spikes, and I can only get one phantom to spawn during a boat ride. It's annoying.

Level thf to 99. Grab sparks stuff or better. Queue up a playlist that won't make you bored. When you are waiting, watch a movie or whatever. Something you can pause so you can check if any mobs spawned that drop ice spikes. Or you can AH farm for it. Your chances are better with the boat farming. I doubt many people would farm this for gil. When you could farm alex or dyna currency for just as much effort and make more gil per hour. Good luck, I am in the same boat as you. I want ice spikes for my blm but it won't drop for me.

HappyCrab
Jul 22, 2008
Hey fellow neckbeards, I've decided to hate myself enough to start playing this game again after 2 years. I heard the shell could use way more manthra's so if anyone can pearl me my character is Kalire.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Holy poo poo, them smn changes and new gear. I suspect i could reach 20 second recast with my poo poo, an overall reduction of 40 seconds, and 10 lower than previous. The new rings also mean, i assume, a pricetag of 50m each.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Summoner is one of the end game builds I'm interested in. That and dragoon/bluemage. I don't remember why I wanted that combo, but I've wanted it since forever. It's probably terrible.

So I'm leveling up red mage as of now, to get away fromthe ice spike farming and also to get my subjob ready. Apparently you can't buy diaga or slow unless your country is #1 in conquest, which is bullshit.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Atori-Tutori kicked my rear end. :(

It's ok though, I got 4 and a half merits just farming for two fossilized fangs. Still need the bones.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I think you can buy the stuff from the login campaign moogle.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Celador posted:

I think you can buy the stuff from the login campaign moogle.

Tried that. I didn't see the items anywhere in his list.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Yeah it looks like they are not available every month, which is stupid. But that's SE for ya.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Alright, so who do I have to talk to to get a pearl?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

Alright, so who do I have to talk to to get a pearl?

All goons can generate one for you. Post your character name here when you're logged in. Also troll through the thread for character names and bug people.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I was running around buying a poo poo ton of red mage spells last night, and I noticed that meruba was chock full of people. What's going on there? Cause it was about as many people as I've seen in the game total so far.

Also, the trust kukki-chebukki ain't doing poo poo while I'm a red mage. I assume it's because I just started the class and was low level, meaning he doesn't have access to the spells he uses yet. He was fine when I was a black mage, but now my redmage is at level 16 or so and he still ain't doing poo poo.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

Holy poo poo, them smn changes and new gear. I suspect i could reach 20 second recast with my poo poo, an overall reduction of 40 seconds, and 10 lower than previous. The new rings also mean, i assume, a pricetag of 50m each.

That is if you are lucky. The +1's are going to be really expensive. I can see people charging 100m per +1 ring.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

I was running around buying a poo poo ton of red mage spells last night, and I noticed that meruba was chock full of people. What's going on there? Cause it was about as many people as I've seen in the game total so far.

Also, the trust kukki-chebukki ain't doing poo poo while I'm a red mage. I assume it's because I just started the class and was low level, meaning he doesn't have access to the spells he uses yet. He was fine when I was a black mage, but now my redmage is at level 16 or so and he still ain't doing poo poo.

*Mhaura it has the ambuscade book an npc. The tome is used to start a queue for volume 1 or volume 2 for ambuscade. The ambuscade npc is used to get stuff for hallmarks and gallantry, as well as trade your jse cape and augment stuff to augment it. Spergs have more than two of the ambuscade jse cape. Good players have about 3-5, depending on the job. Geomancer you only really need one with pet regen+ and magic acc+ on it.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Sprite141 posted:

The Trusts are the same level as you when you summon them, and will use spells/abilities available to their job/sub for that level. The problem that happens when you start a new job is you summon them at level 1 and then 10 kills later you are level 7. The Trusts are still level 1. Just dismiss them and resummon and they will be your new level and should start using spells/abilities appropriate to your level again.

:eng101: the command /refa all will dismiss all trusts at once.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Celador posted:

The Trusts are the same level as you when you summon them, and will use spells/abilities available to their job/sub for that level. The problem that happens when you start a new job is you summon them at level 1 and then 10 kills later you are level 7. The Trusts are still level 1. Just dismiss them and resummon and they will be your new level and should start using spells/abilities appropriate to your level again.

Oh poo poo, that makes sense.

Gruknor posted:

*Mhaura it has the ambuscade book an npc. The tome is used to start a queue for volume 1 or volume 2 for ambuscade. The ambuscade npc is used to get stuff for hallmarks and gallantry, as well as trade your jse cape and augment stuff to augment it. Spergs have more than two of the ambuscade jse cape. Good players have about 3-5, depending on the job. Geomancer you only really need one with pet regen+ and magic acc+ on it.

Non of this makes sense, except sperg and stats. Got it. Hopfully I can complete as much content as I can without having to delve too deep into this stuff. How are the new classes, anyway? It's runesword and geomancer, right?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Sprite141 posted:

Oh poo poo, that makes sense.

Non of this makes sense, except sperg and stats. Got it. Hopfully I can complete as much content as I can without having to delve too deep into this stuff. How are the new classes, anyway? It's runesword and geomancer, right?

Mhaura is a zone that you misspelled. Ambuscade is a level 99 endgame thing to do. You can solo it or queue up with 1 to 5 other people/friends. Runefencer and Geomancer. Runefencer is a greatsword wielding tank that specializes in magic tanking. Geomancer has bubbles and is currently the most in demand and powerful buffer in game. Bard is no longer king of buffs. Bard is still really good, but the typical pick up group will not bother with a bard if they can get a geo or corsair.

You can solo most content with trusts with or a friend or two. The game is set up that way. Once you get a job to 99, you can get item level 117 armor and weapons from a sparks vendor. Use bg-wiki, ffxiclopedia, and google to help you learn the ins and outs of this game. Also asking in this thread can help.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Celador posted:

Holy poo poo. Thanks

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I hate myself so I'm jumping back into the game with a fresh start. 'Plyem' on Asura, I'd love a linkpearl when someone has a chance to toss one my way.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Edit: So I bought the game and am in the process of installing it, brings back memories. Last time I played was in early Aht Urghan, can someone summarize some of the biggest changes or point me in the direction of a newbie guide or guide on what order to tackle all the content? I've heard it's become vastly more soloable?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 11, 2016

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Verranicus posted:

Edit: So I bought the game and am in the process of installing it, brings back memories. Last time I played was in early Aht Urghan, can someone summarize some of the biggest changes or point me in the direction of a newbie guide or guide on what order to tackle all the content? I've heard it's become vastly more soloable?

Here is a good list of quality of life changes for FFXI: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/wiki/qol

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Necrosaro posted:

Here is a good list of quality of life changes for FFXI: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/wiki/qol

Alright, thanks. Just finished installing and plan to play on Asura to hang out with goons. I just read the thread here and it helped a lot to inform me on what's changed since I last played but I didn't really get an idea of the actual game progression aside from what people tend to do at endgame.

I was curious if you guys could help me out and either give me an idea or point me to another guide that explains the basic progression of content from expansion to expansion, as in the story missions and quests and such.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Missions

Assault and Campaign happen concurrently with the expansion storylines.

You only need to complete one nation's storyline before moving on to Rise of the Zilart but you can do all 3 if you want.

While you can do RoZ and CoP at the same time, I would recommend finishing RoZ first. You will get a couple CoP cutscenes while workign on RoZ but if you can just remember the gist of what's going on you will be fine.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I'm about to reformat my PC. I synced my character settings with the server, is there anything I need to actually backup before reformatting?

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm about to reformat my PC. I synced my character settings with the server, is there anything I need to actually backup before reformatting?

Pictures, Gear Swap files, and ERP logs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nice to see that "wait until JP midnight" is still alive and well in the land of Aht Urhgan. :argh:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man, this month's log in rewards suck.

So hey, I'm gonna start leveling crafting so I can get my gobbie bag upgraded to small extent. Is there any advice on this that would lessen the crafting load? Like do the rhapsodies' exp boost and skill ups affect crafting?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Man, this month's log in rewards suck.

So hey, I'm gonna start leveling crafting so I can get my gobbie bag upgraded to small extent. Is there any advice on this that would lessen the crafting load? Like do the rhapsodies' exp boost and skill ups affect crafting?

They frequently do double skillup weeks for crafting. There is also a quested helm in soa that gives a boost. Ride the kits for easy lowlevel then research the cheapest poo poo. Dont forget food.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

frodnonnag posted:

They frequently do double skillup weeks for crafting. There is also a quested helm in soa that gives a boost. Ride the kits for easy lowlevel then research the cheapest poo poo. Dont forget food.

Ride the kits? I saw some kits at the various crafting vendors. I thought they were for specific items only, are they instead like cheaper bundeled crafting mats?

And food helps level crafting? :psyduck:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Ride the kits? I saw some kits at the various crafting vendors. I thought they were for specific items only, are they instead like cheaper bundeled crafting mats?

And food helps level crafting? :psyduck:

Yeah, more or less. The kits are alternate methods of crafting certain items to skill up. The only downside is you can't HQ with them. And depending on what you're crafting, it could be cheaper to do it the traditional way and get the materials off the AH.

And yeah, there are new food items that increase skillup chance:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Crafting_Food

frodnonnag posted:

I gotta remember all that for when I finally decide to do some crafting. I imagine there's a huge AH run for crystals during those times, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Man, these limit break quests sure do loving suck.

I never really realized how much of this game was based around stealth and sneaking around.