Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I'm curious as to how people will handle Suddenly Ghosts. Like Part 3 had the souls of Avdol, Iggy and Joseph, but now here's a ghost girl with her ghost dog in a ghost alley with evil ghost hands that operate under their own ghost rules, and just this new layer of supernatural that is brought up and never really explored further

also im really excited to see future episode titles like The Cat Likes Kira and My Dad Is Not My Dad

Same here, it was pretty funny on a first read seeing this dangerous serial killer getting his poo poo pushed in by some weird catflower- back then I still thought he was a dangerous near-untouchable threat-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

The only two stats that mean anything are range and power since they effectively determine whether or not what you've got is a punchghost or a magic trick, and even that's a binary designation that becomes less meaningful as the series progresses.

Case in point, Soft & Wet has a D range and C power but it's 100% a punchghost that's beaten every stand/person but Vitamin C in hand to hand combat, can still break walls and yadda yadda yadda. Its soap bubbles have a pretty good range on them too. definitely better than the punching range of a punch ghost.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Bad Seafood posted:

Now if only we could do away with the stat blocks.

They're completely meaningless, at the least.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's your stand Bad Seafood

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.dimolto.co.jp/

i would like this very much

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Plus, the Stand is called Ratt which is like the loving most hilariously on-the-nose Stand to User naming convention in the whole series.

Counter: I Am A Rock

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There's also Stray Cat.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Still disappointed that Doobie Wah! is not "Rock You Like A Hurricane"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Y'all are right that JoJo has already asked a lot of people to accept, but there's something specifically funny to me and outta nowhere to me about "Okay There Are Ghosts Now, Ghost Hell Is Real And Kira Is Going There".

RareAcumen posted:

Same here, it was pretty funny on a first read seeing this dangerous serial killer getting his poo poo pushed in by some weird catflower- back then I still thought he was a dangerous near-untouchable threat-
Kira versus Stray Cat is a real good example of how much JoJo doesn't care about established power of characters. Stray Cat is a menace, Kira never even beats it, he just gives it a ball to play with so it leaves him alone.

Killer Queen + Stray Cat combining is a really cool thing that I'm glad, but also sad only happened all of once, because Stand Fusions would be the wildest thing holy poo poo, but it's fitting the two kitty Stands teamed up

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gyro theows out a bynch of useful tools to lighten his load, keeps the (anachronistic) Teddy Bear.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Including his toilet roll... Poor Valkyrie :smith:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

like you wouldn't bring your favorite plush toy to a cross country ride with a disabled dude you just met

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Including his toilet roll... Poor Valkyrie :smith:

He said he was gonna use leaves instead, Valkyrie is fiiiiiiine.

Especially since they were already past the desert :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You aint getting good coverage with leaves.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Y'all are right that JoJo has already asked a lot of people to accept, but there's something specifically funny to me and outta nowhere to me about "Okay There Are Ghosts Now, Ghost Hell Is Real And Kira Is Going There".

Yeah, since you brought it up I'm really looking forward to "Suddenly Ghosts and also an alien" Because DiU isn't normal by any means but it certainly is more standard when it comes to things considering the last three parts. No Vampires, zombies, werewolves, Frakenstein's monsters or anything, just large and small boys trying to find another dude specifically and then suddenly the undead clinging to this plane of existence with unfinished business.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I wonder if anyone is going to think that Reimi is just the work of an enemy stand, like Polnareff's sister in SDC.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Case in point, Soft & Wet has a D range and C power but it's 100% a punchghost that's beaten every stand/person but Vitamin C in hand to hand combat, can still break walls and yadda yadda yadda. Its soap bubbles have a pretty good range on them too. definitely better than the punching range of a punch ghost.

To be fair it tends to do this via an application of it's ability than any real direct power. I mean when Star Platinum or Crazy Diamond go to town on a dude they get loving destroyed, S&W has to be aimed fairly precisely(Josuke tends to concentrate on one point when he ORAs) and usually just roughs people up a bit without the bubbles involved.

The fact that it's not that great in a direct hand-to-hand fight but can still DO them is part of what makes it interesting, though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

FirstAidKite posted:

What's your stand Bad Seafood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6-J6WHnwY

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

You aint getting good coverage with leaves.

You can with the Spin.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

... I'm not sure using spin on poo is a great idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

... I'm not sure using spin on poo is a great idea.

Ah, someone who hasn't witnessed the power of the stand,

B O W L B R E A K E R

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bad Seafood did you have another username before, I don't remember you posting in the previous jojo threads.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Bad Seafood did you have another username before, I don't remember you posting in the previous jojo threads.

Bad Seafood is actually an experimental, cloud-based AI that can pass the Turing test, but only for the subset of questions that can be answered by good JoJopinions.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

He has been around and he posted meta JoJo posts.

He just had a more nondescript avatar before i think

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Bad Seafood is actually an experimental, cloud-based AI that can pass the Turing test, but only for the subset of questions that can be answered by good JoJopinions.

He's sentient plankton, actually.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Soft and Wet is definitely a dangerous stand, but Jojo has never been a manga about having the biggest numbers, and SnW is strong because of how versatile it is and how clever Josuke is, and not because of its raw power. It loses to Born This Way in a head-on clash, and did less damage to Yotsuyu than Josuke just picking up a rock and bashing Yotsuyu with it. I can buy that only has a power rating of C, because it doesn't seem to be any stronger than a regular human. I suppose D in range only applies to the humanoid part of the stand. With that all said, the stand stat things still don't have any real sense of consistency and shouldn't be considered anything other than general guidelines.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i don't put any real stock in the stat charts, but in S&W's case i think the idea is that compared to other stands in a direct brawl it's not exactly going to be on top but for general stuff like busting down a wall or beating up someone it's still way stronger than what the average person can accomplish

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8Ubgg3Dto

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I really like that when it comes time for Crazy Diamond and Killer Queen to do a classic Stand Rush, Killer Queen loses instantly, it's just not built for it, at least not with a pure strength type like big friend Crazy D, despite being a big muscle cat. So while it feels like an easy set up for Josuke to sweep this fight, instead Kira has to rely on poo poo like figuring out the distance between him and Josuke using the length of his arm so he can shoot an air bomb and playing mind games with Josuke about whether or not he turned Okuyasu into a bomb.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 12, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If Josuke beats Kira by figuring out he can't detonate stuff that's right next to him because he'd be injured too, how come Kira was totally able to kill that one girl's boyfriend by blowing him up while he was right next to him. It's bull poo poo. I hate JoJo now

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
very fair, but it did give us one of the sickest jojo pages

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Maybe the air bubble exploding is more dangerous than blowing up a body?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know if it's something Araki thought of to be fair, but bomb #1 does destroy its target without leaving evidence and part of that would be not damaging its surroundings so it'd probably only apply to its subject in that case and won't hurt people near by.

If stray cat works by making the bubble explode and damage its surroundings, rather than like bomb #1 does, that would explain it.

I just don't think Araki cared that much.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

:hai:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hat Jousuke

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://yonkouproductions.tumblr.com/post/147286072913/jojolion-chapter-56-spoiler-pictures

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

poo poo that's nice and early.
Looks fun!

The blue and white striped S+W is legit

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Summary of leaked pages. The pages don't really flow together well so I'm guessing they're not exactly in order.

-Joshu wants to buy idol merch and shake hands with his favorite idol, so he bugs his dad for allowance. Norisuke asks him why he doesn't get a job and make himself useful to society.
-A man cuts in front of Joshu while he's buying his idol goods. When the man forgets his wallet at the counter, Joshu steals his it, guesses his PIN, and withdraws 500,000 yen from the ATM.
-Joshu tries to buy a 500,000-yen watch, but the cashier claims the glass on the face is damaged so they can't sell it to him, and Joshu gives up after realizing this is probably a really bad idea. The cashier gives 510,000 yen back to Joshu, all of which Joshu keeps.
-Joshu watches a 3D pirate movie featuring Johnny Depp. He can't stand being around other people, so he buys the 8 seats surrounding him, in addition to his own. Then he buys a Depp figurine.
-Joshu feels a tinge of guilt and decides to perform a random act of kindness. Whether or not he actually does so is not shown.

-Oh, and Josuke has to come to terms with the fact that half of him is a college student with no friends or family, and the other half is Holly's son Kira.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm dying about the movie theater part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012