Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

I don't know what to make of this. There are already organisations that can give loans to agriculture and infrastructure projects deemed worthy; they're called banks. Are they going to fund projects that no-one else thinks are worthy? Is the state going to underwrite some harebrained scheme because it's in an electorate that votes National? Yes.

concessional government loans to make up for (private) market failure are not a new and insane idea, open24hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Kat Delacour posted:

Yeah, now, but the unprocessed postals will likely push that margin a lot higher as he issues a lot of dodgy partisan postals to the electorate.

Postals have been going to the Libs actually. Out of ~7.5k, Libs have gotten half.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Pretend for a moment I'm talking about the race between the Greens and Labour, because that is what I am talking about.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Like I get it, I voted for her too, but I don't think Fetch is going to happen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm just resigning myself to the fact that no matter how the Melbourne Ports seat actually turns out, my response to it is going to be 'gently caress off'.

All that the actual victor changes is the delivery of those words.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
This actually reminds me though, my mother got her comeuppance for filling out surveys as me without my knowledge, Owen Guest campaign smsd and robocalled her like a dozen times apparently

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

I don't know what to make of this. There are already organisations that can give loans to agriculture and infrastructure projects deemed worthy; they're called banks. Are they going to fund projects that no-one else thinks are worthy? Is the state going to underwrite some harebrained scheme because it's in an electorate that votes National? Yes.
Nationals the Banks? Wait that doesn't sound quite right.

The whole greyhound racing thing may be a ploy to get Luke Foley to nail his pants to the mast over greyhound racing. An industry notorious for corrupt behaviour with long standing links to the ALP NSW right.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Apparently labor are calling Cowan and abc is tipping them for all 3 of the remaining in doubt seats, it's going to be so great when the next choppergate happens and the coalition are suddenly on 75 seats

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eat it Anthony

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

open24hours posted:

They will fund projects The Minister deems worthy. 100% corruption ahoy. Expect a 4 Corners expose in about 3 years.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 11, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The ABC just published a thing saying the libs have officially secured 76

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-11/coalition-secures-majority-government-as-lnp-retains-capricornia/7587578

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Ha ha, cute:

http://abc.net.au/news/2016-07-02/has-antony-green-called-the-election-yet/7560994

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Antony Meme

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Looks like the NLP won.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Urghhh gently caress off with "calling" the election when it's on such a knife edge. What the gently caress is wrong with just waiting for the loving AEC to finish the loving COUNT?

Like, I get that it's very likely that Turnbull will win enough seats to form majority government, but "very likely" is not the same thing as "definite." It is journalists' job to report the news, not predict it. This is where the endless 24-hour content-churn has led us.

edit - Case in point, Melbourne Ports suddenly being reported to still be in play today. Anybody who's been paying any attention to it during the campaign would be able to tell you it would come down to preferences, and that those preferences would be unpredictable. But no, the media has to wait until a member of the Liberal Party says so. gently caress me dead.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

"But we can't sit in confusion and turmoil we have a mandate and a budget crisis to fix"

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

freebooter posted:

Urghhh gently caress off with "calling" the election when it's on such a knife edge. What the gently caress is wrong with just waiting for the loving AEC to finish the loving COUNT?

Like, I get that it's very likely that Turnbull will win enough seats to form majority government, but "very likely" is not the same thing as "definite." It is journalists' job to report the news, not predict it. This is where the endless 24-hour content-churn has led us.

edit - Case in point, Melbourne Ports suddenly being reported to still be in play today. Anybody who's been paying any attention to it during the campaign would be able to tell you it would come down to preferences, and that those preferences would be unpredictable. But no, the media has to wait until a member of the Liberal Party says so. gently caress me dead.

Nah you're right I'm sure ALP will win.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't say the ALP might win. It's a question of whether the coalition will win enough seats to govern in their own right - or not. Despite what the ABC says, that hasn't been determined yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wow QandA terrible tonight.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXupBdvt4Bo

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/smart-chip-a-safeguard-for-mobile-phone-radiation/3057154/

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm the woman failing to shove her oversized smart device into her bra and only realising after she'd done it that this was the only cut and immediately exiting the shot.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Where else but Queensland?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Derryn Hinch, George Brandis, Bad Badbad and Steve Price

truely a starstudded lineup.......

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Derryn Hinch, George Brandis, Bad Badbad and Steve Price

truely a starstudded lineup.......

Don't forget Tony!

This truly is a terrible QandA, just as terrible as George Brandis' haircut.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

i always wanted to watch someone going on a twitter tirade irl and on national television

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

norp posted:

Apparently labor are calling Cowan and abc is tipping them for all 3 of the remaining in doubt seats, it's going to be so great when the next choppergate happens and the coalition are suddenly on 75 seats

I've posted this before but Anne Aly owns and it's great that a progressive muslim women is replacing this guy:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/12032577/halal-meat-converting-aussies-mp/

quote:

A WA Liberal MP has claimed Australians are unknowingly being converted to Islam by eating Halal meat.

In a speech to Parliament yesterday, backbencher Luke Simpkins said most Australians did not know that most of the meat they ate came from animals killed in accordance with Muslim law.

“By having Australians unwittingly eating Halal food we are all one step down the path towards the conversion, and that is a step we should only make with full knowledge and one that should not be imposed upon us without us knowing,” Mr Simpkins told Parliament.

“What is happening is wrong. Too often the minorities in this country are looked after without regard to the majority.”

Mr Simpkins said he had carried out an unofficial survey in his northern-suburbs electorate of Cowan and had discovered that most meat at major chains such as Coles or Woolworths had been killed under Halal conditions, but had not been labelled as such.

He tabled a petition demanding that all Halal meat be clearly identified, complaining people could not buy meat for their “Aussie barbecue” without the influence of the “minority religion”.

Mr Simpkins said that Mohammed the prophet of Islam had talked of how the religion could be expanded around the world by getting people to eat Halal meat.

“He reportedly said, ‘The non-believers will become Muslims when, amongst other things, they eat the meat that we have slaughtered’. This is one of the key aspects to converting non-believers to Islam,” Mr Simpkins said.

The petition tabled by Mr Simpkins had been organised by the Barnabas Fund, an organisation that supports Christians living in Muslim countries.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/25914523/mp-ridiculed-over-islamic-cover-up/

quote:

Federal Liberal MP Luke Simpkins has become the target of social media scorn after a high-level intervention to ensure ‘Islamic’ stickers were removed from the Leederville Train Station pedestrian overpass.

In a bizarre case of mistaken identity, the stickers were in fact spruiking a local nightclub – a fact lost on Mr Simpkins when he boasted on his Facebook page of having them painted over.

On November 5, Mr Simpkins wrote: “Last week I noticed black disks (sic) that appeared to be Shahada symbols. Thanks to the Transport Minister and his adviser for getting them painted over quickly after my call”.

The post included pictures taken from some distance of two “discs” displaying white cursive writing against a black background.

The Shahada, a declaration of Islamic faith which translates to “There is no god but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet” is commonly displayed written in white Arabic writing on a black background.

The Shahada flag was brandished by Sydney siege gunman Man Haron Monis last month in what Muslim leaders slammed as a desecration of the phrase.

It was not until this week that fans of Speakeasy, the bi-monthly Australian music showcase at Villa nightclub, noticed Mr Simpkins’ post and recognised the “discs” as Speakeasy stickers.

The MP’s Facebook page was yesterday bombarded with ridicule.

“Thanks for fighting the good fight in WA on all of Australia’s behalf. We really do need to crack down on ISIS promoting nightclubs in Australia,” wrote one user.

“Speakeasy is a Shahada symbol? Wow, You sir are a complete idiot,” posted another.

Pierce Ericson, event manager at Metric Promotions which runs Speakeasy, confirmed the images in Mr Simpkins’ post were Speakeasy stickers which had been in circulation two to three years ago.

“We’ve been discussing this in the office this morning. The fact that (Mr Simpkins) felt the need to cover it up purely because it was ‘Islamic’ is bothering us a little bit,” he said.

Ikebal Patel, immediate past president of the Federation of Islamic Councils, said it was a “sad case” if Mr Simpkins wanted the stickers painted over because he thought they were Islamic, rather than merely graffiti.

“If in this case the federal member basically wanted them painted over because he thought they were the Shahada then it does make you wonder if we are getting too carried away by world events,” he said.

“The Shahada itself is a very profound symbol and statement within Islam. Sure, people are abusing that right now for political gain and we all have issues with that.”

In a statement to thewest.com.au, Mr Simpkins said the images had been reported to him as containing Arabic writing but couldn’t get close enough to make sure.

“I later drove up the freeway and had my passenger take the photographs,” he said.

“Obviously it is illegal to park on the freeway and reckless to hold a camera over the freeway.

“Therefore based on the photographs that looked like Arabic writing, I referred the matter to the minister’s office saying that there was vandalism and it appeared to be Arabic writing like the Shahada flag.”

Mr Simpkins said he was not familiar with bars, clubs and events in Leederville “and yet the social media abuse assumes I should have been”.

“I am nevertheless glad that the vandalism has been cleaned up although it appears that others are not happy with that either,” he said.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

seriously how the gently caress do price and badbad get to be on the panel

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Jonah Galtberg posted:

seriously how the gently caress do price and badbad get to be on the panel

I'm as confused as you are, is this The Project?

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'd rather they replaced the whole panel with Waleed Aly and his band and watch them play live for the hour, gently caress this rubbish.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Cancel QandA, 1 hour mediawatch.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

let's all tune in next week for senator-elect pauline hanson

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Cancel QandA, 1 hour mediawatch.

:getin:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Media Watch and the ABC never did get back to me on that shockingly biased loveletter to Roger Rogerson.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

lol, as opposed to?

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

loving Brandis just straight up states that the Chilcott report didn't have ANYTHING to say about Australia's involvement and the workings of Howard.

Absolute rubbish, he can't even accept the reality around him, which isn't anything new but ffs.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I only made it halfway. 3 old right wing men shouting down two (relatively) leftist women.

Also, watch Hinch vote in lockstep with the Libs based on tonight's performance.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also to be honest Van Badham is good value when she's making GBS threads on the Libs rather than the Greens.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

this_is_what_Bolt_believes.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Pretty sure that giving people a heart shaped chocolate counts as voter inducement.

• Locked thread