Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'd say any 熱炒 restaurant fits the bill. Just point at things on the menu and delicious food will arrive. Beer is cheap and often self serve. Just keep your empties next to the table and the owner will add them up at the end. Prices usually start at 100nt a dish, though pricier places might be 200nt, which is still only like $6 for a platter of Kung Pao chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
A plate of which will often be 40% peppers, 40% peanuts, and 20% chicken. Needs more chicken.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's a really delicious 20%.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love peanuts. Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing 熱炒 is like a Taiwanese izakaya then? That sounds exactly like what I want.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well I don't know anything about Japan, but it is plates of stir fry and mixed veggies. You'll get your classic sweet and sour pork or black pepper beef and then some uniquely Taiwanese things like deep fried shrimp with pineapple and mayonnaise.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I love peanuts. Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing 熱炒 is like a Taiwanese izakaya then? That sounds exactly like what I want.

Similar atmosphere but bigger plates of cooked food. Get drunk outside

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

A plate of which will often be 40% peppers, 40% peanuts, and 20% chicken. Needs more chicken.

Sounds really authentic to the Sichuan original, at least.

All Sichuan food: At least 40% dried peppers/etc you aren't supposed to eat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, why wouldn't you eat the peppers?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

Wait, why wouldn't you eat the peppers?

They're a garnish.

And to caberham's point, most of these places are semi outdoor so yeah you'll be getting drunk in the heat.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
阿榮海產店 this place in Kaohsiung has good food and cold beer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Speaking of, a lot of places that label themselves as seafood restaurants are basically 熱炒. Just ask to see a menu. I was at one last weekend that did decent sashimi and stir fry and the beer was cheap. But this is way in the south and well out of your way.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

They're a garnish.

And to caberham's point, most of these places are semi outdoor so yeah you'll be getting drunk in the heat.

They're tasty and Kung Pao is the best thing I've had here yet, it's just not spicy enough v:shobon:v

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

They're tasty and Kung Pao is the best thing I've had here yet, it's just not spicy enough v:shobon:v

Totally agree, but Taiwan is the Iowa of Asia.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

Kung Pao shouldn't be really spicy, so that's also p authentic.

I watched an interesting doc here recently about how older Sichuan chefs are really upset at how younger Sichuanese chefs are making everything super spicy cause it's cool & popular atm. Apparently only about 30-40% of dishes in Sichuan cuisine should actually be spicy but these days upwards of 80% are because it's the style to throw 800000 peppers at everything.

And tbh Sichuan food as a whole isn't all that spicy. It's more 麻辣 instead of 干辣。Really "authentic" gong bao should have mainly 花椒 instead of spicy peppers. As far as Chinese food goes, Hunan stuff is by far the spiciest followed by Yunnan.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

s far as Chinese food goes, Hunan stuff is by far the spiciest followed by Yunnan.

Based on my limited exposure to home cooked Hunanese food, I agree. Even the loving potatoes were spicy.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Totally agree, but Taiwan is the Iowa of Asia.

I thought Taiwan was supposed to be the Canada of Asia.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Based on my limited exposure to home cooked Hunanese food, I agree. Even the loving potatoes were spicy.

湘菜 fuckin owns. Probably my second favorite kind of Chinese food after 川菜。

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

I fail to see how these are contradictory.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

You mean North East China, similar climate, lots of snow, and pine trees everywhere. But the people there are not anything like Canadians. At all

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Im stuck in stupid shanghai because of this stupid typhoon and for some stupid reason the awful app is literally the only internet-related app I can get to use with this stupid hotel's stupid wi-fi

Sup

eta more stupids

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 8, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

At least you weren't blown up on a train

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have no idea what that is a reference to because again no stupid internet in this stupid country

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
HEAR THAT HU

CALLIN YR DUMB COUNTRY STUPID

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

quadrophrenic posted:

I have no idea what that is a reference to because again no stupid internet in this stupid country

a train blew up

Not a train: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1PlJQjaNdMqxE

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Shibawanko posted:

My wife and I will be going to Taiwan for 5 days, we'll arrive in Taipei, stay there for 1 night, then down to Kenting for 2 nights, and finally Kaohsiung for 1 night.

We are adventurous eaters and particularly like Japanese style izakayas where you can order tons of different things for very little money and eat loads of it while getting drunk. I'd like some recommendations on places to eat that are like that. The places can be Chinese-speaking only, totally obscure, have no seats, or even be dirty and we won't care, we just want very good food for as little money as possible with as much choice as possible, since that's how we normally eat in Japan. Do you have any recommendations?

Taipei has a veritable tonne of izakaya, hit Linsen and Chang An for ease, or there's a row of a few particularly good ones near the junction Long Jiang & MinSheng.

There's one I've been meaning to try very close to xin sheng & nan jing (just because proximity). There's another very close to me on Linsen & Nong An, but I couldn't speak to the quality.

I'd say Linsen is your best bet for Japanese anything, stay south of Minquan and dive into the lanes and you'll be fine.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I want to explore the east coast. Should I get a train from Taipei and rent a car in Hualein to tool around or something?

Are US driver's licenses sufficient to rent a car in Taiwan?

I'd consider renting a motorcycle but I'm a big American dude with a giant head so I'm not sure I can find a helmet that would fit (I'm American helmet size XXXL) and the 150cc bikes that seem available might be a bit small with two people and travel gear.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

I like turtles posted:

I want to come to Taiwan to die in a mangled ball of steel and fire.

A US license is not sufficient, you need an international driving permit which is good for 30 days upon entry for tourists. It's cheap and easy to get, you just have to wait a couple weeks while still in the US for it to be processed. Enforcement may be uneven though; some cops, perhaps less so rental car agencies, might not be familiar with an IDP especially on the east coast which has a much lighter foreigner influence.

If you're gonna rent a car though, why not just rent it in Taipei then drive to the east coast?

Regarding safety, you should think long and hard about getting behind the wheel in Taiwan. Other drivers here will simply not behave as you'd expect them to. If you already have experience driving in Vietnam or China or something you'll be prepared, but regardless just use an abundance of caution and keep your wits about you since it is almost guaranteed some driver near you will do something blindingly stupid. As to motorcycle helmets, I have a pretty big noggin and was able to find helmets without too much hassle but I'm not sure what my size would be though since I've never ridden in the US.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

USDA Choice posted:

A US license is not sufficient, you need an international driving permit which is good for 30 days upon entry for tourists. It's cheap and easy to get, you just have to wait a couple weeks while still in the US for it to be processed. Enforcement may be uneven though; some cops, perhaps less so rental car agencies, might not be familiar with an IDP especially on the east coast which has a much lighter foreigner influence.

If you're gonna rent a car though, why not just rent it in Taipei then drive to the east coast?

Regarding safety, you should think long and hard about getting behind the wheel in Taiwan. Other drivers here will simply not behave as you'd expect them to. If you already have experience driving in Vietnam or China or something you'll be prepared, but regardless just use an abundance of caution and keep your wits about you since it is almost guaranteed some driver near you will do something blindingly stupid. As to motorcycle helmets, I have a pretty big noggin and was able to find helmets without too much hassle but I'm not sure what my size would be though since I've never ridden in the US.

I never understood the stereotype of the "Asian driver" growing up and then I came here and was like ohhhhhhhh

Driving here teaches you to drive really defensively

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Any reasonable ways to visit the east coast without driving/riding?
I have no appropriate language experience for Taiwan, unfortunately.
I saw some German blog post suggesting that going from Taipei to Hualein was extra scary, which was the extent of my prompt to start from there.
We avoided driving in Vietnam, and since we stayed in HCMC most of the time we just used uber. We can do similar, paired with public transport in Taipei but I don't see similar kinds of coverage on the east side of the island.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 9, 2016

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

I like turtles posted:

Any reasonable ways to visit the east coast without driving/riding?
I have no appropriate language experience for Taiwan, unfortunately.
I saw some German blog post suggesting that going from Taipei to Hualein was extra scary, which was the extent of my prompt to start from there.
We avoided driving in Vietnam, and since we stayed in HCMC most of the time we just used uber. We can do similar, paired with public transport in Taipei but I don't see similar kinds of coverage on the east side of the island.

Train or bus should be fine, once you're there renting a scooter or car should be fine. Driving there is generally fine, mountain roads may suck though

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I used to be really critical of Taiwanese drivers and then I moved to Bangkok.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I know a guy who has lived (and driven) in Taipei for 15 years and still believes an American driver's license is all you need.

I wonder if he's never been pulled over or involved in an accident or if his lack of Chinese ability just got him out of everything

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I know plenty of people who don't have a scooter or car license. More people(foreigners) don't have them than do.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bloodnose posted:

I know a guy who has lived (and driven) in Taipei for 15 years and still believes an American driver's license is all you need.

I wonder if he's never been pulled over or involved in an accident or if his lack of Chinese ability just got him out of everything

There was a time when I would have found this totally unbelievable, but nah, that sounds about right.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Ive driven in taiwan for five years without a license

In my defense, I feel bad about it

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
expats tend to have a higher percentage of dgaf

it works out for some, and really doesn't work out for others

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It depends entirely on how fast, how drunk, and how wrong of a direction you were going.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I need to get on that big-motorcycle license. That way I'd be in the 1% of expats that have every license.

I just want to be in the 1% of something.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I'm planning to go to Taiwan in the fall (Taoyuan) to study Mandarin on a student visa. Is it possible/viable to work teaching English once there? Is it possible/viable to do it legally? Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It's possible to teach while learning Chinese. It's legal if you get a permit which is also possible but not always 100%.