Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/752498151341191168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Kentucky GE poll - Cofounder Pulse
7/5 - 7/7 - 776 RV

Trump 34
Clinton 28
Not Sure 38

Romney won KY by 22%

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean yeah the social conservatism stuff is still there and will continue to be

but is it such a great idea to push WE HATE THE GAYS!!!! HATE 'EM; THOSE FUCKIN' HOMOS!!!! front and center so close to a national campaign?

like I guess they've got time to amend it but yeesh

eh, I get the impression that conservatives have isolated themselves so much from the world that they think that they're the majority in those kind of opinions.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
So Joe would any good come from hardening the grid against EMP or would it just be money thrown into a dumpster fire? I ask because iirc the grid is in pretty bad shape so maybe we can take their crazy and make it work for good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

euphronius posted:

We hate gays so much we will amend the constitution to persecute them, says fringe party.

Republicans like Putin so much they want to enact his policies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MC Nietzche posted:

So Joe would any good come from hardening the grid against EMP or would it just be money thrown into a dumpster fire? I ask because iirc the grid is in pretty bad shape so maybe we can take their crazy and make it work for good.

Nothing good can come from involving EMPeople, they are bonkers.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

eh, I get the impression that conservatives have isolated themselves so much from the world that they think that they're the majority in those kind of opinions.

I would actually like some academic study on why conservatives believe what they do, and why. Like why conservatives think they have a majority or think america is socially conservative

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MC Nietzche posted:

Whyre you asking him like he knows lol. The spirit of that post was "republicans want a thing, therefore it's a bad thing"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If your having EMP's shot at you then losing power is the least of your problems

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
*nuclear mushroom cloud rises in the distance* MY CARS INTERNAL ELECTRONICS!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MC Nietzche posted:

It ranges from somewhat useful (redundant sub-stations and transformers, extra transmission lines) to useless, but benign (building Farraday cages around poo poo) to totally wasteful (Star Wars style laser defense systems).

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tautologicus posted:

Whyre you asking him like he knows lol. The spirit of that post was "republicans want a thing, therefore it's a bad thing"

I agree, I don't really advocate it as a "pressing" issue, but if it encourages us to generally update and upgrade our electricity infrastructure at the same time it's probably a good thing.

I have a hard time thinking of an infrastructure investment project I wouldn't support.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/752501807025385472

Yeah, you wish.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pook Good Mook posted:

I have a hard time thinking of an infrastructure investment project I wouldn't support.

Well, you're not a republican :v:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pook Good Mook posted:

I agree, I don't really advocate it as a "pressing" issue, but if it encourages us to generally update and upgrade our electricity infrastructure at the same time it's probably a good thing.

The issue has come up since nuclear weapons have been a thing and every time the answer has been "making America's electrical grid EMP resistant is more expensive than just replacing it in case we survive something that would knock it out". The places that need to be EMP resistant already are.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Slate Action posted:

Kentucky GE poll - Cofounder Pulse
7/5 - 7/7 - 776 RV

Trump 34
Clinton 28
Not Sure 38

Romney won KY by 22%

That is CRAZY close for Kentucky. The recent rash of crazy-rear end republican governors dismantling state treasuries has been really disastrous for the GOP, with Kansas in play and Florida and Wisconsin appearing to be Clinton locks already. Bevin in Kentucky is doing real damage to the GOP brand and I'm glad to see the numbers starting to bear that out.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pook Good Mook posted:

Yes, I don't have an opinion on EMP hardening specifically, and I am unfamiliar with the methods of delivery (probably would not be a missile), but one thing I do know is nearly all the major technological advances of the 20th century came about through government spending on military applications, both on WW2 and during the Cold War. Computing, radio technology, the microwave, the laser, the jet engine, the internet (!!), any and all rocketry, nuclear fission, that's probably just getting started. So anytime the US government wants to throw money at technology and infrastructure due to some security concern or another, people ought to be all for it.

The trouble is when they get into these incremental upgrade programs that the defense contractors get them on the hook for hundreds of billions of dollars for, and those don't amount to the same sea changes.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey there America, didn't notice you come in! Welp as long as you're here we'd just like to remind you that although we might like gobbling corporate dick as much as the next political party we're the only ones you can count on to be backwards as heck on any and all social issues! Didn't want you to forget or anything! Please vote for our orange Mussolini in the upcoming presidential election!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I don't really understand how Trump can be underperforming in red states, losing across the board in swing states, yet only down 4% nationally. Those three things can't all be true at the same time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sure a bridge collapses every week but we've got more important problems to spend money on such as the non issue of domestic Islamic terrorism

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Tautologicus posted:

Yes, I don't have an opinion on EMP hardening specifically, and I am unfamiliar with the methods of delivery (probably would not be a missile), but one thing I do know is nearly all the major technological advances of the 20th century came about through government spending on military applications, both on WW2 and during the Cold War. Computing, radio technology, the microwave, the laser, the jet engine, the internet (!!), any and all rocketry, nuclear fission, that's probably just getting started. So anytime the US government wants to throw money at technology and infrastructure due to some security concern or another, people ought to be all for it.

The trouble is when they get into these incremental upgrade programs that the defense contractors get them on the hook for hundreds of billions of dollars for, and those don't amount to the same sea changes.

Again generally agreed but see below.

Venom Snake posted:

The issue has come up since nuclear weapons have been a thing and every time the answer has been "making America's electrical grid EMP resistant is more expensive than just replacing it in case we survive something that would knock it out". The places that need to be EMP resistant already are.

I learned something today, I didn't even realize there was this debate or a group who advocated for this so strongly.

My point still generally stands, infrastructure spending is almost always a net benefit. Hell I even half-support Newt's moonbase idea.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Phi230 posted:

We shall see about those majorities within the next 4 years

Oh, Democrats are going to do horribly in 2018. All our red state senators who rode Obama's coattails to victory in 2012 are going to get creamed in the midterm. The question is whether they'll be replaced by Republicans or by Libertarians.

Iff Gary Johnson ever polls above 15% this cycle, he'll make it to the debate and get >25% in short order just by virtue of not being Trump or Hillary. Too bad he's a humongous dork and his new party is full of incompetent crazies and Atlas Shruggers.
Maybe the tinfoil hatters, obese stripteasers, and freemen-on-the-land will get dressed and start knocking on doors. Maybe the Objectivist bowtied punch-faces will surprise us all by developing the tact and social skills to actually accomplish something.

But the most likely scenario for Libertarian competitiveness would be an exodus of moderate Republicans playing follow-the-leader and filling in the rank and file and performing a semi-hostile takeover to make an actual serious party organization. If a couple major Never-Trumpers change affiliation to the Libertarian party and endorse Johnson, we'll see some serious poo poo. Hey, Mitt Romney, are you ready to change faces again, you chameleon bastard?

Nameless_Steve fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 11, 2016

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

sure a bridge collapses every week but we've got more important problems to spend money on such as the non issue of domestic Islamic terrorism

it's a much stronger motivator. defending against aggression that is

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I hope the raw milk plank from 2012 stays in too.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/752500263387275265

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pook Good Mook posted:

My point still generally stands, infrastructure spending is almost always a net benefit. Hell I even half-support Newt's moonbase idea.

BUt my taxes!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Slate Action posted:

I don't really understand how Trump can be underperforming in red states, losing across the board in swing states, yet only down 4% nationally. Those three things can't all be true at the same time.

Looking at that Kentucky poll more closely, it even looks like Trump is within the margin of error

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the issue is not that replacing it is less expensive than hardening it, but it's the issue of WHY they use an EMP in the first place. it's generally used as a precursor to some other, larger more complex attack. cutting out a city's power for a day or a week on its own doesn't seem worth all the risk, it would be part of a complex attack. it's also incredibly unlikely to happen, as there are very few groups, if any, both capable of and interested in such an attack.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I do assume that all the red state polls that currently look like this:

Trump 35
Clinton 30
I Dunno 35

Will go this way in the end:

Trump 60
Clinton 40

a bunch of the I Dunno's don't vote

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Slate Action posted:

State polls are more volatile than national polls at this time, especially with a relatively smaller pool of polls to draw from. Additionally, there is an uncharacteristically higher percentage of third party + neither options than you'd expect at this point in the year. As the election season goes on and we get more data points, state & national polling will begin to converge more towards a common average.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tautologicus posted:

the issue is not that replacing it is less expensive than hardening it, but it's the issue of WHY they use an EMP in the first place. it's generally used as a precursor to some other, larger more complex attack. cutting out a city's power for a day or a week on its own doesn't seem worth all the risk, it would be part of a complex attack. it's also incredibly unlikely to happen, as there are very few groups, if any, both capable of and interested in such an attack.

Please, tell us more about the historical uses of EMPs in terrorism

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Venom Snake posted:

It's kinda funny how Boosted learned absolutely nothing from 2012

It's just sports team mentality, you don't stop cheering your team just cause they're on a losing streak.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Tautologicus posted:

it's a much stronger motivator. defending against aggression that is

that's the problem with Republicans, they prefer symbolic action and handouts to hard work and responsibility

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

No

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

We should be auditing our defense contractors, not our own loving federal reserve

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Idahoant posted:

It's just sports team mentality, you don't stop cheering your team just cause they're on a losing streak.

But enough about the Hillary thread

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

I hope the raw milk plank from 2012 stays in too.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/752500263387275265

So did a bunch of social conservatives and Ron Pauls stack the platform committee or what

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Is that perhaps because, it's never happened, and never will?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pook Good Mook posted:

I learned something today, I didn't even realize there was this debate or a group who advocated for this so strongly.

Well considering it's one of the biggest side effects of nuclear war.....

But ultimately like I said our money is much better off being invested in making all our bridges not fall down instead of trying to build the HYPERGRID. Although it should be said, if you want safe hard to knock out power the way to go is having lots of solar and wind farms spread out all over the place which I highly doubt rightwing EMP guys support :v: (they didn't back when the issue was much more relevant).

If you want a realistic depiction of post apocalyptic America; Fallout NV hit the nail on the head pretty well.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Shine on you Jesusy diamonds

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/752496119331098625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets only take precautions against things that have happened in the past, because those are the only things that could happen

• Locked thread