Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

Dwarfs are incredibly buff in the early game. Warriors and Quarrelers are top-notch units and you can recruit them both from turn 3. Their later units aren't gamechangers like the tier 4 / 5 Empire units though (though Ironbreakers are the toughest thing in the game)

Yeah I was doing really well in that as I basically rushed the Greenskins and took black crag early on and then pushed South meaning they didn't have any decent tier units and tier 1/2 dwarf units > practically everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Choyi posted:

Auto resolve is just incredibly broken, and I'd wish they'd fix it somehow, its hilarious how badly it estimates odds or values an army to the point it almost feels like its based on a completely random number generator.

I find the only way to fully enjoy a campaign with any sort of challenge is to just forget that auto resolve exists for anything besides repeat mop up fights against already broken armies/garrisons.
The other problem with auto resolve is that its also very misleading for anyone newer to the game in terms of giving an idea of how hard a fight would be with the "balance of power", a 70-30 odds in your favor is way more likely to be a super tough fight that you can easily loose, while a 10-90 against you can be a fight you can rather easily take on with just some losses.

It cuts both ways. Autoresolve, even with the patch tweaks, will murder the gently caress out of small elite melee units and monsters with wild abandon and do hideous amounts of damage to your heroes in fights where they should otherwise be nearly untouchable(Grimgor eating 60% hp damage from garrison troops).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Choyi posted:

Auto resolve is just incredibly broken, and I'd wish they'd fix it somehow, its hilarious how badly it estimates odds or values an army to the point it almost feels like its based on a completely random number generator.

I find the only way to fully enjoy a campaign with any sort of challenge is to just forget that auto resolve exists for anything besides repeat mop up fights against already broken armies/garrisons.
The other problem with auto resolve is that its also very misleading for anyone newer to the game in terms of giving an idea of how hard a fight would be with the "balance of power", a 70-30 odds in your favor is way more likely to be a super tough fight that you can easily loose, while a 10-90 against you can be a fight you can rather easily take on with just some losses.

Thing is without auto-resolve a campaign would take a CRAZY long time. Like, weeks of real time.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Your General's level vs the enemy General is also still a huge modifier for auto-resolve that doesn't make much sense I think, been like that since Medieval 1 where you should always play out siege battles to avoid taking ridiculous auto-resolve casualties from small garrisons, except when it was your king or other super high star general attacking in which case they inexplicably take gently caress all casualties even from full stacks in Fortresses.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Dashticle posted:

Your General's level vs the enemy General is also still a huge modifier for auto-resolve that doesn't make much sense I think, been like that since Medieval 1 where you should always play out siege battles to avoid taking ridiculous auto-resolve casualties from small garrisons, except when it was your king or other super high star general attacking in which case they inexplicably take gently caress all casualties even from full stacks in Fortresses.

The only time I've really found autoresolve to be overly incorrect is in siege battles, where I regularly win fights with 10/90 odds against. For regular fights where I don't have walls to hide behind, I find the autoresolve bar to be a reasonable approximation of how well I'll do.

Started a greenskin campaign this weekend after finishing empire. I've altered my playstyle a bit to be more aggressive and less methodically push-consolidate-push-consolidate and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've started sacking a lot more, and it's really showing in how my finances are turning out. I've basically eradicated all of the eastern mountain dwarves, I'm sweeping through the southeastern mountain dwarves, and I'm just having to recall a couple of my armies to deal with some rebels. It's been a fun campaign thus far - I'm a very conservative, turtly player, so Greenskins are a complete turnabout from my regular playstyle.

I just need more of my goddamn settlements to max out so I can start playing with giants and arachnaroks already

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thing is without auto-resolve a campaign would take a CRAZY long time. Like, weeks of real time.

I'm not saying no auto resolve ever, but until there is a mod or a fix I won't be using it for anything but the fights that are completely one sided cause it honestly feel like cheating many fights by using it and then few times where the AI has no chance in a manual fights but the auto resolve still gives them a 60-40 in their favor.

I mean you can auto resolve the Chaos invasion armies out of existance with just some stacks of swords and crossbows, while in a manual fight those armies would be crushed.

Been doing a co op campaign with a friend where we manual resolve roughly 80% of the fights, with only one sided stomps being autoed, and man its been a ton of fun, and the campaign taking longer sure, but the realtime battles is where the fun is at with this game after all.

Auto resolve in past TW(med 2 etc) was something I rarely used since you could almost always get way better results out of manualy fighting them, in modern TW it basicly the other way around where you can use auto resolve to make sure losses stay low, which makes no sense to me.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I'm unclear, is a Bretonnia campaign going to be free DLC or was Bretonnia in multiplayer the free DLC?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not on normal. I did VC one that took around 280 turns (my first, took it way slow) and it took 50-ish hours. All manual fights. The fights that most people autoresolve were over in 4-6 minutes. I'd probably end in 30 now that I know what I do and VC's even got a buff in a recent patch :drac:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ChickenWing posted:

I just need more of my goddamn settlements to max out so I can start playing with giants and arachnaroks already

Just remember you have to research the proper tech before you can recruit arachnaroks or doom divers. I found that out the hard way during my greenskin campaign.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm unclear, is a Bretonnia campaign going to be free DLC or was Bretonnia in multiplayer the free DLC?

They are adding a 'free playable race' eventually as part of the free update content (just like the blood knights) and I think everyone is just assuming it's the Bretonnians since they are mostly done and in the game already (unless I missed an announcement, which is quite possible).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 11, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
CA has said stuff in interviews like "Lets just say you'll definitely not be paying for Brettonia" that makes it really obvious that they're the FLC race, but they're not scheduled to come out for a while even so.

More importantly, new Facebook teaser:

https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/photos/a.125554144186461.25910.113800552028487/1102391293169403/?type=3&theater

Like 99% sure it's Beastmen this time.

Also there's a reference to the Huntsmarshal, so maybe we'll also get an new Empire LL if it's a campaign pack?

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 11, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

"Father of Crows" may refer to Nurgle, but the "Bow of Amber" is a magical item that deals significant extra damage to monsters and beasts. Although yeah that's 100% a reference to Beastmen.

E: yeah the Amber Lore is the Lore of Beasts, and a fun one. There's the Amber Spear which is basically a ballista bolt, tons of buffs to boost the strength of your units (easier to cast on cavalry or beasts) and a spell that turns your wizard into a random monster all the way up to a dragon. Plus Imperial Beast Wizards get to fly around on griffons.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 11, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Triskelli posted:

"Father of Crows" may refer to Nurgle, but the "Bow of Amber" is a magical item that deals significant extra damage to monsters and beasts. Although yeah that's 100% a reference to Beastmen.

I've seen people saying "Father of Crows" is a reference to Malagor, and the Amber Bow sure sounds like a reference to Markus.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Markus_Wulfhart

So Beastmen next means the FLC will be Lore of Beasts/Empire Wizard, but if Markus is also involved...Possibly FLC, or bundled with the Beastmen DLC, or maybe as part of a Lord Pack at the same time, I dunno. Either way I hope he brings Empire Huntsmen and his special regiment along with him.

Oh, also the letter says they'll meet in "three days hence" which would fit the Blood DLC dropping on Thursday after a teaser on Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 11, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Really want to see the Jabberslythe animated. Beastmen might have gotten a raw deal in TT (from what I've read in this thread) but unit-wise they definitely look like a weirder, wilder Chaos faction than the Warriors.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
If it's beastmen it better have that one-eyed dude with the fanged whip

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Early game Empire (Turn 11) Should I drop money on the Outriders, or save my money and aim straight for Reiksguard?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Onmi posted:

Early game Empire (Turn 11) Should I drop money on the Outriders, or save my money and aim straight for Reiksguard?

Go for Reiksguard for sure. They stomp over everything you're likely to face for dozens of turns.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mordja posted:

Really want to see the Jabberslythe animated. Beastmen might have gotten a raw deal in TT (from what I've read in this thread) but unit-wise they definitely look like a weirder, wilder Chaos faction than the Warriors.

The Jabberslythe. Even looking at it drives the minds of lesser men insane. In short,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2U8yfKM9nY

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

I think they'll actually fit TW really well, whatever their issues in TT, TW has a long history of cool factions that are basically naked berserkers who hang out in the forests and ambush people. Also it'll be cool to have a largely unarmored faction breaking up the GW meta a little.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

The more I play this game the more I wish someone would make another Warhammer Fantasy MMO (except not poo poo this time :( )

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can't wait for doombulls

Taurox better be one of the LL, need some more Big Dude action

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Triskelli posted:

and a spell that turns your wizard into a random monster all the way up to a dragon. Plus Imperial Beast Wizards get to fly around on griffons.

does this mean we can get a dragon riding on a griffon? :getin:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh God, if it is Beastmen and they're priced the same as Chaos Warriors then that is exactly what I've got on my Steam Wallet. This friggin' game.

So Beastmen DLC, with Lore of Beasts (+ Amber Wizard) as FLC?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

So Beastmen DLC, with Lore of Beasts (+ Amber Wizard) as FLC?

Pls CA, pls give me more Warhammer, because this craze of mine will never end and i want more.

Just gimme more okay? Please give me more..

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

madmac posted:

I've seen people saying "Father of Crows" is a reference to Malagor, and the Amber Bow sure sounds like a reference to Markus.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Markus_Wulfhart

So Beastmen next means the FLC will be Lore of Beasts/Empire Wizard, but if Markus is also involved...Possibly FLC, or bundled with the Beastmen DLC, or maybe as part of a Lord Pack at the same time, I dunno. Either way I hope he brings Empire Huntsmen and his special regiment along with him.

Oh, also the letter says they'll meet in "three days hence" which would fit the Blood DLC dropping on Thursday after a teaser on Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Markus as the next Empire LL would make sense, but I hope we see more than 3 LLs per faction. Kurt Helborg, Volkmar the Grim, Luthor Huss and maybe Ludwig Schwarzhelm would all be pretty awesome to see for the Empire, and should all play pretty differently.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Beastmen may also fit the all-vanguard-deploy role that Shogun 2 and Attila had, since beastmen get a special ambush rule on the tabletop. At the very least, I hope they get a good +ambush chance blue skill like vampires do

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sole Survivor posted:

Markus as the next Empire LL would make sense, but I hope we see more than 3 LLs per faction. Kurt Helborg, Volkmar the Grim, Luthor Huss and maybe Ludwig Schwarzhelm would all be pretty awesome to see for the Empire, and should all play pretty differently.

I can't imagine they'll stop at 3 per faction if people keep buying them. Besides, they've said the next greenskin LL is an orc shaman and you just know they're going to add a goblin LL sooner or later. It would be nice to at least see 3 'free' LLs per faction, but the FLC schedule looks like it only has a VC and a greenskin LL on it leaving the empire and dwarfs behind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Onmi posted:

IIRC Reiksguard are the better unit, but Outriders are on the chain that leads eventually to demigriffs, sooo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sole Survivor posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they expand the LL count after the next game comes out, though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Triskelli posted:

The Jabberslythe. Even looking at it drives the minds of lesser men insane. In short,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2U8yfKM9nY

I'm also looking forward to the Ghorgon. A huge, four-armed, mutant minotaur about the size of a giant. The modelers can really go hog wild on this faction. :getin:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
They haven't even started selling us LLs yet, I'm sure we'll be drowning in them soon enough.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Does Bretonnia even have anything that would rival, say an Araknarok?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NT Plus posted:

Does Bretonnia even have anything that would rival, say an Araknarok?

They don't really have anything huge and monstrous that can clear out flanks on its own, no. The closest thing is the Green Knight, though he's a unique character. He's "only" about as strong in combat as a regular lord, but he's ethereal, can teleport around the battlefield at will, and is more or less immortal. Any time he's killed he'll just pop back out from somewhere else on the battlefield a short time later.

When it comes to killing monsters (in TT), their best bet is usually kitting out a hero or lord for the purpose. With the right equipment, even a regular old human knight has a pretty good chance of killing a giant in single combat. For this game, they might repurpose the Questing Knights for that purpose. Their whole deal is roaming around the countryside killing feared monsters and vanquishing evil, so they could do give them a nice big bonus against large targets to represent that.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So, you guys have any tips on how to start off a Dwarf campaign? What buildings to rush, how to get rid of loving Grimgor before he rushes you with a million spider cavalry, etc.?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

So, you guys have any tips on how to start off a Dwarf campaign? What buildings to rush, how to get rid of loving Grimgor before he rushes you with a million spider cavalry, etc.?

In my Hard Dwarf campaign that I just completed, I had enormous success just completing my first province (building up my stack with each town I capture), then RUSHING SOUTH immediately, using the underway stance through the mountains to occupy the northernmost settlement of Grimgor's home province. Then I seek to challenge Grimgor on his way north to attack me. Doing it this way left Grimgor really weak, allowing me to easily win and take Death Pass, and relieving pressure off of Brak Varr who allied and later confederated with me. It also left the Greenskins on a backfoot for the entire campaign.

In terms of buildings, getting the second tier barracks for quarrelers is essential, and the first tier siege building is good for grudgethrowers. If you want Mt Gunbad, you need a thane (tier 3 barracks) to profitably hold it on difficulties higher than Normal (this is because you want a gold mine and a farm to get it up to the brightstone mine tier, and that means no space for a refectory, and it's a million miles from the rest of your territory unless you want to encroach upon Zhufbar - who is holding back the VC for you.), so don't bother rushing it. Otherwise do your usual money and growth building build.

EDIT: Really just dwarf warriors, quarrellers, and grudgethrowers can pretty much win you the Badlands if you blitz it promptly. They will do pretty well vs VC also. Quarrellers are useless vs Chaos warriors though. You will also want gyrocopters with brimstone guns to deal with hellcannon.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 11, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's all about warriors, quarellers and cannons. I've killed Everfailure and finished short campaign on easy with mostly those units. Just spec leaders in buffs to those units.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Another set of matches are up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8aAvtP5h_c

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If your dwarf, keep a eye out for a general who has the -construction cost trait, hire him for the big projects like the goldmines and brightstone mine and then disband him the same turn.

He'll stay in the pool of generals you can hire the rest of the game for 0 cost.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fun matches, really liked the second one, dwarfs vs vampires, it was all good and great for the undead until Mannfred died and his army went poof!. The last match was a bit of a clusterfuck, corner camping aside, the dwarfs were completely surrounded and in a completely hopeless position and a few minutes later the entire group of brettonian infantry was gone, and it was the major part of the army, that shows that peasants aren't trustwhorthy, except the ones manning the trebuchets.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is it actually an advantage to put Manny on a flying mount in multiplayer? Seems like he is better off on a horse, say, which lets him use his army to meat shield against sniping spells and makes him less vulnerable to missile units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Lone Badger posted:

Dwarfs are incredibly buff in the early game. Warriors and Quarrelers are top-notch units and you can recruit them both from turn 3. Their later units aren't gamechangers like the tier 4 / 5 Empire units though (though Ironbreakers are the toughest thing in the game)

Ironbreakers also have those ridiculous goddamn grenades for some really stupid huge burst damage. I'm not really sold on anything else in the late dwarf roster but invulnerable grenadiers are Pretty Good.

• Locked thread