Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Now Maynard, just because you were trying to impress Vida Guerra!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Just now listened to the Besser HH and it was incredible. Can't believe they would try to take his 4 away.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
New improv4humans was great too. Paul Rust is one of my favorite guests.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hate trying to come up with i4h dream teams because there are just too many greats who I love seeing bounce off each other.

I've been listening to some older episodes again in anticipation of the Howl paywall and the 420 episode from last year with the transition-ways and the Dan Deacon one are probably my top two, with maybe the Andy Daly/Katie Dippold bee episode right behind them.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I hate trying to come up with i4h dream teams because there are just too many greats who I love seeing bounce off each other.

I've been listening to some older episodes again in anticipation of the Howl paywall and the 420 episode from last year with the transition-ways and the Dan Deacon one are probably my top two, with maybe the Andy Daly/Katie Dippold bee episode right behind them.

When is the paywall expected to go into effect?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

They're doing it show by show starting with these ones:

quote:

Shortwave with Grant Lee Phillips
Rafflecast
The reality SHOW show
Owen & TJ Read The News
Mike Detective
Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project
The Wolf Den
Love, Dad
Professor Blastoff
Who Charted?
The Earwolf Challenge
U Talkin’ U2 To Me? (will not be depublished in iTunes, but will be ad free for Howl Premium members)

Apparently CBB's paywall goes up any day now and the next ones are supposed to be HDTGM, I Was There Too, and Cracked (info from this thread on the earwolf forums)

But I mean all of the shows on that list still have all their episodes up on the Earwolf site/iTunes even though that post was made two months ago so idk what they're even doing

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 9, 2016

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

9 months ago

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
It got to the point where I was kind of hoping they would just quietly drop the idea of the paywall altogether

And then they reminded us. And then they still didn't do it!

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Oh poo poo, I hope ADPPP isn't going entirely behind a paywall :(. I still listen to the August Lindt ep from time to time.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eel hovercraft posted:

Oh poo poo, I hope ADPPP isn't going entirely behind a paywall :(. I still listen to the August Lindt ep from time to time.

You can always download the eps beforehand. I did that when I first heard about the paywall.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think Scott said the PPP and and UTU2TM would never go behind the paywall.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eel hovercraft posted:

I could have sworn they said that it wouldn't. I'm hoping they'll do it like UTU2TM.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Jeff Ulrich saying that the ADPPP lost Earowlf money is what convinced me that Howl was a good idea but it would be a shame if it disappeared behind a paywall.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Squishy posted:

Jeff Ulrich saying that the ADPPP lost Earowlf money is what convinced me that Howl was a good idea but it would be a shame if it disappeared behind a paywall.

It sounded to me like this was because advertisers treated it as a new startup podcast without a built-in audience, instead of a one-off thing that a majority of CBB listeners would be into. I don't think Howl fixes marketers being shitheads who aren't With It.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think all advertiser need to see solid numbers of expected audience before shelling out, and won't listen to assurances that of course it'll do well, people love this kind of thing. And that's not just for the tier of products that come in crates, if you go to a cinema that's just opened it won't have any ads because they can't prove they'll deliver an audience.
Without-it ad-men aren't going to change soon, and I support a change that make future things like the ADPPP feasible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do they even get paid a base amount for the commercials they run? The fact they're all (to my knowledge) referral code based made me think they only get paid if people actually sign up. The banner ads of the audio world (unless you get ridiculous traffic, banner ads don't pay a penny unless people click them. Advertising is the worst.)

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I think that they only get paid a base amount. Referral codes are for the company to decide whether or not it is worthwhile to continue purchasing ads.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm pretty sure midroll ads are flat rate depending on viewership & the promo codes are just for analytics. But from what everyone says the spots pay like 80-150 bucks.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Aukerman reading the tequila ad is true comedy.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So HDTGM had an 8 or 9 minute commercial break in the middle of the show. Apparently, they're just doing one ad break. I wonder if this is to make it easier to make ad free episodes for Howl later on. If that becomes the norm then I'll really never listen to an ad because I'm not going to sit there for 8 minutes. Even a 3 or 4 minute ad is too long but if they're spaced out in the episode I might just muddle through. If it becomes a regular thing then it'll be way easier for me to just start fast forwarding.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

So HDTGM had an 8 or 9 minute commercial break in the middle of the show. Apparently, they're just doing one ad break. I wonder if this is to make it easier to make ad free episodes for Howl later on. If that becomes the norm then I'll really never listen to an ad because I'm not going to sit there for 8 minutes. Even a 3 or 4 minute ad is too long but if they're spaced out in the episode I might just muddle through. If it becomes a regular thing then it'll be way easier for me to just start fast forwarding.

I wanna say CBB has been having ad breaks that long for a while now and I have no idea who's sitting there for 8 minutes listening to Scott try to sell a mattress. Podcast ads are so weird because on the big Earwolf shows they're longer than ad breaks on TV + are extremely easy to skip. Do the people buying ad time realise that from 75% of the people listening are just gonna hear 'This episode is sponsored...makes it easy...website...squarespace...offer code....welcome back'

I guess the solution is be funnier in the ads because Hollywood Handbook is still the only show where I listen to most of them

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I wanna say CBB has been having ad breaks that long for a while now and I have no idea who's sitting there for 8 minutes listening to Scott try to sell a mattress. Podcast ads are so weird because on the big Earwolf shows they're longer than ad breaks on TV + are extremely easy to skip. Do the people buying ad time realise that from 75% of the people listening are just gonna hear 'This episode is sponsored...makes it easy...website...squarespace...offer code....welcome back'

I guess the solution is be funnier in the ads because Hollywood Handbook is still the only show where I listen to most of them

Yeah, I listen to HH ads because they do a great job of being really funny. It's pretty much just another part of the show or more accurately, like a miniseries inside the show since the ads will usually have a plot that follows throughout the show and sometimes into other weeks' shows. The Brett/adbot love story, Scott Aukerman torturing Hayes to read the Howl ads, the Wolfman Jack saga, etc. When they did the native ad with Besser, it was great.

The only other ad I remember enjoying listening to was the Fracture ad with Adam Scott and Aukerman on the UTU2TM Commentary ep. Great stuff. Rip Harris.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I also generally listen to the Spontaneanation ads because Paul has fun with them, but when they reach the 2nd or 3rd minute I'll start skipping. I Was There Too ads are good because Gourley seems to go out of his way to not give a poo poo and just do silly, ineffective readings.

Also, if any of you listen to some Earwolf podcasts but skip Comedy Bang Bang, I'd highly encourage you to listen to the ad at the top of today's show. It's an all-timer. If more ads were for bizarre things like that I'd never skip.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

time slows to a painful crawl every time Paul Scheer starts to read an ad. it's crazy

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

time slows to a painful crawl every time Paul Scheer starts to read an ad. it's crazy

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I would even go so far as to say it's bonkers

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
HDTGM's ads might be better if they banned Paul from using the phrase "Its like x, for y."

In fairness to him, I'll admit there's a decent chance those words are just on every sheet of copy he gets and he has no choice.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I love the Gilmore Guys ep of HH. Not only do they play many, many of their previous shows, Hayes does an ad read during Selma.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Golden Bee posted:

I love the Gilmore Guys ep of HH. Not only do they play many, many of their previous shows, Hayes does an ad read during Selma.

"The guys sitting around me are telling me this stuff really happened! I mean, this is wild, some of the stuff with this guy. I don't know what's going on with him now, but he is somethin' else."

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
All podcast ads are dumb except for HH

There are varying degrees of dumb but Sean and Hayes have cracked the code on how to actually make them good

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Here's a nice article about Reality Show Show:

http://splitsider.com/2016/07/before-hollywood-handbook-there-was-the-reality-show-show/

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

HolePisser1982 posted:

I like his ok because he just reads the copy and gets out & they aren't 4 minutes long.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I really don't care how funny you make it I'm not sitting through a epic three and a half page dialog about what kind of website someone might make using squarespace.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The hollywood handbook ones are like five minutes long, boring, and usually describe the product as being made by or for rapists.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Work Friend Keven posted:

The hollywood handbook ones are like five minutes long, boring, and usually describe the product as being made by or for rapists.

I'm pretty sure they won't be doing any more Cards Against Humanity ads after Hayes said they were worse than Monsanto on the Best Show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm pretty sure they won't be doing any more Cards Against Humanity ads after Hayes said they were worse than Monsanto on the Best Show.

The funniest HH ad backlash was how the poop song guy felt ripped off because Sean didn't enthusiastically rave about the Toilet Bowl Cleaners and their masterful works like "Poop in a Wormhole"

Sean did make it pretty clear that he wasn't happy that their only sponsor was the guy with a dozen albums of songs about poo poo, but on the other hand, you paid them like $75 to promote A DOZEN ALBUMS OF SONGS ABOUT poo poo.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
and considering that when i actually looked into him most everyone was like OH M GOD HIS SONGS ARE GOOD...EVEN THO THEY'RE ABOUT poo poo!! he can't really complain about bad press or his image....the toilet bowl cleaners are doing fine

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Work Friend Keven posted:

Rapists need mattresses too.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I love the recent howl ads with Sean playing Scotty Auks playing the Silence of the Lambs guy who makes Hayes read the ad EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T EXIST and keeps scratching his feet. A+ acting work from the HH boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

I love the recent howl ads with Sean playing Scotty Auks playing the Silence of the Lambs guy who makes Hayes read the ad EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T EXIST and keeps scratching his feet. A+ acting work from the HH boys.
Those Howl ads confused the hell outta me the last couple weeks but this week's was a great heightening with PFT.