Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even know anymore. I'm just kind of dazed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

The cultist dude is way too much but the show continues to be really good in spite of him imo. Also, I have no idea how this gets resolved without bringing in some of the other candidates or something

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm actually not convinced that Subaru actually was pretending. Our only word on that was from a literal madman who was screaming about how true madness isn't quiet, or something like that. Hell, he literally sat there unreacting while his eyeball was licked, while the cultists were literally talking about killing his friends, and Rem while gruesomely murdered in front of him, and then when he finally started moving he went to straight-up screaming "I'LL KILL YOU" over and over and over, pulling against his restraints until his arms bled, only stopping when Rem dragged her broken corpse over to him and cut his manacles off.

Dude acted like he was in the middle of a mental breakdown. I think that Betelgeuse was just disappointed that Subaru wasn't the same kind of crazy that he was.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
He wasn't, you get to read Subaru's pov during this death loop and it's clear the attic was looted

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
loving amazing episode. Last one had a 10/10 ending and this one trumps it. The whole episode.

Betelgeuse was an excellent kind of madman. The sudden shifts between moments of calmness and extremes of emotion, the ticks with hurting himself, and the contrast with his more comedic behaviors with that and the situation around him add an effective creepy vibe. Definitely feels like someone who made contact with and serves unknowable horros (ie the Witch of Envy), and had his mind broken in the process.

If it had any fault is that it feels like this should've worked better as a double episode with more Rem POV or such, as a lot of it felt rather compressed in other to fit in the loop properly from the end of last to death by giant Puck, but as always the show's good directing shines through.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

those credits were just sensational

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Betelgeuse would be better if he were more Happy Mask Salesman-ish, methinks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

those credits were just sensational

This show is one of the best I've seen in a while that works in ending credits very well. That and its' willingness to cut the OP are something you rarely see.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Again, we need tons of gifs of Betelgeuse being Betelgeuse. The ham from him could roast BRIAN BLESSED.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Genocyber posted:

This show is one of the best I've seen in a while that works in ending credits very well. That and its' willingness to cut the OP are something you rarely see.

That was fast

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Darn this was a great episode.
I was worried that this would turn into dumb harem anime, but now im convinced that this thing will be great.
Also witch smell getting stronger each time subaru dies is kinda interesting.
I wonder what will happen if subaru dies too much.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
A question to any Web/Light Novel readers, what went down in in the equivalent chapters for this episode? Was Subaru legit crazy or was he just faking?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The credit scroll was something out of a samurai film, the dynamic animation and voicework and the TRAGEDY. Normally when the MC's friends get hurt the author throws in a powerup, here he's a mindbroken mess as the kingdom turns to a land of ice.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

That was painful to watch. Rem-doll nearly made me actually nauseous.

The credits bit was great though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Charlie Bobson posted:

A question to any Web/Light Novel readers, what went down in in the equivalent chapters for this episode? Was Subaru legit crazy or was he just faking?

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

He wasn't, you get to read Subaru's pov during this death loop and it's clear the attic was looted

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a reason everyone here agrees he was feigning madness? Maybe it was an unrealistic depiction of madness, sure, but we only have Kefka's word for it that he was faking; it was pretty clear to me that he was completely traumatized from the previous loop and only Rem's apparent death and subsequent Amigaraing snapped him out of it.

Also, I agree that the campiness of the bad guy made the scene more disturbing because of the contrast. I don't think the scene would have been as interesting with a serious villain in the role.

Edit: Heh, I somehow missed the post near the top that asks the exact the same thing

Argue fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 11, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arguably he wasn't truly mad by Betelgeuse's standards because he wasn't completely gone, and even pulled back into angersanity.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I don't think its one way or the other. Being catatonic might have been convenient, but he wasn't faking not having a move to make. Even doing nothing propelled everything forward. I think being unresponsive is a pretty normal reaction in that situation.

Also holy poo poo the whiplash going from all the bubbly pop idol shows this season to this.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Plus Betelgeuse was basically just trying to get a reaction from him by any means necessary.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nyaa posted:

I watched last 3 episode in one go and poo poo is INTENSE! Holy poo poo I can feel the pain just from watching and I need more. :bang:

stay safe, nyaa ghost

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Too soon.

So what the hell is there left to do now? There's a cult related to the witches. They're obviously kill-on-sight bad guys. There's such a thing as a witch's scent that some people can sense. Yet nobody but the sisters have commented on Subaru's smell. And given the time constraints, I don't think training super hard will lead to anything.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Looking back on it, beetlejuice straight on licked Subarus eyeball. If that doesn't elicit a reaction out of someone, nothing will.

Argue posted:

Edit: Heh, I somehow missed the post near the top that asks the exact the same thing

same

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Slime posted:

It's interesting that Betelgeuse wondered if Subaru represented pride, because he introduced himself as representing sloth while seeming to want to punish the sloth of others. He also seemed to admire people who work hard. He doesn't seem all that slothful at all. It also implies there's currently a maximum of 6 witch cultists that represent sins, if Betelgeuse wonders if Subaru could represent pride. If there was already a pride, he wouldn't wonder about it.

I'm guessing 5. No pride, and envy is probably reserved for their absent master. Plus Betelgeuse said something about "the other fingers".

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Charlie Bobson posted:

After he died Subaru was reduced to primal emotions and thoughts. He could no longer recognize faces and names or be aware of his surroundings in time or place. Basically he saw things in colors, specifically that green was warm, brown was cold and scary, white was even colder and scarier and blue was safety and always by his side and gently calmed him down when he started getting scared. There was also the mysterious silver color who comes and goes and is sometimes warmer than green and other times scarier than white. His only expressions were to cry, because what else can he do, and to laugh, when he didn't want to cry anymore. Getting separated from blue scares the poo poo out of him and forced him to slowly become aware of his surroundings in an attempt to find blue.

alas,

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Argas posted:

Too soon.

So what the hell is there left to do now? There's a cult related to the witches. They're obviously kill-on-sight bad guys. There's such a thing as a witch's scent that some people can sense. Yet nobody but the sisters have commented on Subaru's smell. And given the time constraints, I don't think training super hard will lead to anything.

I think last cycle he had just short of a week before he got to the mansion and poo poo was hosed? He had a couple days of training and then they traveled for something like two days.

His best option is to somehow notify the people that beetle juice is about to make a move.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, any way I look at it his only move is to convince as many people as possible that there's serious bad stuff going on and we need to go stop it NOW. I think he'll manage to put together a force of various people, with Reinhard and/or the old man training him acting as the big guns, since we've seen Reinhard bust out the most impressive combat stuff so far and the battle butler is like a legendary badass even if he is past his prime. Ideally he can get the subordinates of all the non-emilia candidates alongside some cannon fodder normal troops.

In every loop we've seen so far he's too late to stop stuff before it happens, but he's always taken the long way around because that whale monster no one wants to mess with is occupying the quick way. I think they'll have to fight that beastie (which by the way seems to scare the poo poo out of everybody, so not going to be easy work), then double time it after a tough fight to get to the village/castle in time. Maybe we'll get one loop with him taking everyone the long way, but we already know they've been cutting some stuff along the way and it's an easy cut to just have him realize right away that a detour isn't going to work.

To me it's a foregone conclusion that he puts together what basically amounts to an elite strike force comprised of lots of top-tier knights, and I can't wait to see how he's able to pull that off after pissing off most of them. I hope it's not as simple as Reinhard or the candidate he's staying with believing him and just using his or her political power to assemble the troops.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Nyaa posted:

Emilia is like the only thing that's keeping him from going insane.
Lol immediately after the moment she break up with him.

And now Rem is the only thing that's keeping him from going insane again.

:downsgun:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Nyaa posted:

Lol immediately after the moment she break up with him.

And now Rem is the only thing that's keeping him from going insane again.

:downsgun:

People using the term "break up" is super funny, if only because it's almost certainly how Subaru sees it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Erg posted:

I think last cycle he had just short of a week before he got to the mansion and poo poo was hosed? He had a couple days of training and then they traveled for something like two days.

His best option is to somehow notify the people that beetle juice is about to make a move.

That's how I saw it, too. His motions clearly accelerated things, so he has to get a line on Roswaal/Puck/Beacon. He can't very well ask the encourages of the other candidates, because they will be sure to twist it to their own advantage.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
That Episode. Those loving credits. I don't think I have viewed something this brutal since reading Berserk, or early Shingeki no Kyojin.

The punch you get from Rem's deaths just get worse and worse

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It's quite an accomplishment how the show makes you feel for the characters, and Subaru's despair in particular, when the premise is the ability to reset so that bad poo poo didn't happen.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
That last episode kinda messed up my sense of where we're at in the timeline... so, when exactly is the reset point? Is it post coronation ceremony, knightly beat down, and Emilia breakup?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Belgian Waffle posted:

That last episode kinda messed up my sense of where we're at in the timeline... so, when exactly is the reset point? Is it post coronation ceremony, knightly beat down, and Emilia breakup?

Yes. Specifically it's right after he goes to buy thank you appas for his new hosts from save point guy and gets chewed out for making a scene over Emilia. He tells the guy he's only buying 10 instead of 20 because he's pissed off, and a few seconds after that is the reset point.

I do think it's before Reinhart comes over and offers to help mend things with Julias, which is important.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

reinhardt will fix everything again

hopefully someday subaru won't be such a loser but it's nice seeing him die considering what a shithead he's been recently

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Wow! Alright! I think Betelgeuse might be my new favorite.

Literally chewing his fingers apart and crazy eyes and the constant... bending over backwards? What a flexible guy.
There was a moment (like a frame, probably) where he ducked and his eyes lingered where his head /had/ been before catching up to him and it made me laugh.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sydnesider posted:

That Episode. Those loving credits. I don't think I have viewed something this brutal since reading Berserk, or early Shingeki no Kyojin.

The punch you get from Rem's deaths just get worse and worse

Or from reading Punpun?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Are the shorts for this still getting dubbed? I think I might need some light-and-fluffy bits after this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Argue posted:

Is there a reason everyone here agrees he was feigning madness? Maybe it was an unrealistic depiction of madness, sure, but we only have Kefka's word for it that he was faking; it was pretty clear to me that he was completely traumatized from the previous loop and only Rem's apparent death and subsequent Amigaraing snapped him out of it.

For Betelgeuse, I assume it's along the lines that Subaru isn't actually broken, he's just temporarily catatonic rather than having a permanent mental disability.

Also, I feel Betelgeuse's camp fits right in with the rest of the series, a lot of the characters are far-removed from realistic portrayals:
-Royal candidates and their exaggerated proposals.
-Rem's initial fascination with killing Subaru.
-A super mabeast masquerading as a cute puppy.
-Roswal looking like a clown with magical juggling orbs of death. (Episode 7)
-A girl who likes playing with the entrails of her opponents.

Its way more entertaining than "stoic-badguy #5."

• Locked thread