Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

in civ v. we don't know if thats how it works in civ vi

I can't imagine they wouldn't allow any full action with 1 point left. Otherwise you potentially end up in the situation of having a unit that literally can't do anything due to circumstances. Plus the current approach is pretty standard for "action point"-based games in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't imagine they wouldn't allow any full action with 1 point left. Otherwise you potentially end up in the situation of having a unit that literally can't do anything due to circumstances. Plus the current approach is pretty standard for "action point"-based games in general.

More than that, they scrapped the 'must have this many MP to move into a tile' rule after SMAC, since boy howdy was that obnoxious given the MP penalties you could rack up due to xenofungi. (Civ3's manual (pp59-60) says you can move into a tile as long as you have non-zero MP, so this not a new-as-of-5 thing.)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Aerdan posted:

More than that, they scrapped the 'must have this many MP to move into a tile' rule after SMAC, since boy howdy was that obnoxious given the MP penalties you could rack up due to xenofungi. (Civ3's manual (pp59-60) says you can move into a tile as long as you have non-zero MP, so this not a new-as-of-5 thing.)

Didn't civ 2 feature units with fractional (by thirds) movement? They still moved or attacked into adjacent tiles but had a combat penalty if an enemy was there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chronojam posted:

Didn't civ 2 feature units with fractional (by thirds) movement? They still moved or attacked into adjacent tiles but had a combat penalty if an enemy was there.

Yes, Civ 2 and SMAC both. It was also part of how roads worked - moving along a road took one third of a movement per road tile.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Chronojam posted:

Yes, but you had to have Enough™ movement in order to actually move. Combat you could do at x/3 strength based on the fractional move you had left, as Cythereal said.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aerdan posted:

Yes, but you had to have Enough™ movement in order to actually move. Combat you could do at x/3 strength based on the fractional move you had left, as Cythereal said.

Could've sworn the early Civ games used random rolls to determine whether you could make a full move using "fractional" movement.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That's what got me too but I think I have it figured out. The chariots have 3MP. The hill costs 2MP but can be entered with the last 1MP (like in Civ5). The southernmost tile can be entered if the Chariot heads east first, then southwest, then southwest again (it's only when moving from one ZOC to another that all MP gets eaten up)

They've definitely changed the rule since the earliest gameplay video though.

Aerdan posted:

Nope. If you have at least 1MP remaining and the tile is not impassable (mountain, occupied by an unstackable unit, etc.), you can move into a tile with any terrain feature.

It has been confirmed that you now need to pay the full MP cost to enter a tile in VI. You can no longer use 1 remaining MP to enter a 2MP tile.

I think it was quill18 who confirmed this first. Not sure if it's been mentioned again.

Another source:
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_units.html

quote:

Movement now requires that a unit has the full amount of movement points required to enter a tile. For example, if Warrior has a move of 2 but only 1 movement point left in a turn, it can't enter a hills tile (because Hills require 2 movement points). This change will increase the impact of terrain on movement, as you won't be able to ignore rough terrain just by using your last movement point on it.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 7, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Well that's kinda unfun bullshit.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Could've sworn the early Civ games used random rolls to determine whether you could make a full move using "fractional" movement.

It did. As I recall it was (movement left)/(movement cost) chance, so moving into a mountain on 1mp and a grassland on 1/3mp (from crossing two roads) were both 1/3 chance. (and as mentioned, you'd also get a huge combat penalty for attacking on fractional movement. I don't think it was until AC that the game even started warning you about it). I'm fine with the Civ VI change as long as it's just "you can't move", it was the RNG element that made the old system really annoying.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

Well that's kinda unfun bullshit.

I think it will be fine. It makes the map more important. This change along with unstacked cities might finally give us armies fighting in the field instead of all sieges.

Armies can now use terrain to great advantage because escaping units can't just run back home as easily. It also makes roads so much more important for army movement. There are going to be so many tiny important choices in this game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I like how it will make terrain more strategic. I think my reaction comes from, a) I like playing on yooge maps and b) I don't like strategy games that restrict movement unnecessarily. Medieval 2: Total War, for example, gave armies ludicrously small ranges on the world map.

I'm sure I'll be used to it in a couple of months.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Peas and Rice posted:

I like how it will make terrain more strategic. I think my reaction comes from, a) I like playing on yooge maps and b) I don't like strategy games that restrict movement unnecessarily. Medieval 2: Total War, for example, gave armies ludicrously small ranges on the world map.

I'm sure I'll be used to it in a couple of months.

I think this is why Ed Beach mentioned that they added the blue outline for your unit's movement range: so you'll get used to it really fast. He cited the fact that he could never figure out how XCOM movement worked so he was grateful for the movement outline in that game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ok lets break it down. movement rules are incredibly basic to the game. you need to playtest the poo poo out of it from the get go. because i have faith in firaxis, should have done that. other aspects of the game must follow from this rule: ai, terrain generation, auto-road generation, combat worker costs. in other words, this is not something you change willy nilly. so saying it changed within a month, at this late stage of development, is a dumb thing to say

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

I think it will be fine. It makes the map more important. This change along with unstacked cities might finally give us armies fighting in the field instead of all sieges.

Armies can now use terrain to great advantage because escaping units can't just run back home as easily. It also makes roads so much more important for army movement. There are going to be so many tiny important choices in this game.
Yeah, it'll mean that units sometimes get caught out in the open, rather than being able to hide in hills/forests with their last movement point and making the fight take forever.

It will make fighting less of a slog. Even if it's loving over your own units, it's your own fault for getting into that situation, and it's still speeding up the whole battle.

Phobophilia posted:

ok lets break it down. movement rules are incredibly basic to the game. you need to playtest the poo poo out of it from the get go. because i have faith in firaxis, should have done that. other aspects of the game must follow from this rule: ai, terrain generation, auto-road generation, combat worker costs. in other words, this is not something you change willy nilly. so saying it changed within a month, at this late stage of development, is a dumb thing to say
Nah, the exact effects of crossing a river on your movement points is a pretty small tweak.

And even if it was a big deal, this is kind of an overreaction to someone trying to make sense of something odd.

Edit: Turns out you were responding to someone who was being dismissive of the person just trying to make sense of something odd. That's more understandable. Still, it's not that big a deal either way.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 8, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Phobophilia posted:

Civ is basically a board game and changes, often major ones, are made at the last minute all the time so I'm not sure where you get the idea that all devs know concretely how a game will play to the last detail in stage 1. Often it's impossible to figure out how these things work in practice until you can, bare minimum, play a rough beta of the concept. More playtesting leads to greater understanding of whst gameplay concepts don't quite work.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Being "basically a board game" means you can actually paper prototype it before any code is written at all, and you probably should because one of the most fundamental things is movement of tokens on a game board. Additionally there's an existing rough beta in Civilization V.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also movement rules are actually a fairly minor change in a strategy game with a long scale like civ. They're important for tactics, but while civ has tactics in it, it is not even close to the core of the game. I mean, I don't think there actually was a change in movement rules and it's more likely that from our vantage point there's just some rules we don't understand yet but the point still stands.

Anyway, movement rules are exactly the sort of rules that are easy to tweak and fiddle with and immediately observe their effects, thus they're like the most likely thing to get changed around and fine tuned as things go on.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

And here I was, hoping the "default" movement speed would be three instead of two.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The fundamental rules of movement are a pretty basic thing that should be settled early on in development, but the exact price of moving over some specific piece of terrain is a minor balance tweak that can and should be subject to change right up until release. Or maybe even after release in a patch. It's no different from adjusting the exact hammer cost of a unit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My only worry regarding making terrain more important in this fashion is that the AI is really bad at dealing with terrain in Civ 5.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

There isn't a single thing in Civ V that the AI is capable of handling.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That reminds me, why is the AI so awful at naval combat? You'd think the complete absence of terrain variety would give them a fighting chance, but no.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

The French Army! posted:

There isn't a single thing in Civ V that the AI is capable of handling.

There are definitely things it handles worse than others. You can make the game much harder on yourself by playing on a Great Plains map (since the AI is generally terrible at dealing with water and other terrain) and playing on Quick speed (which minimises the effect of unit movement on the game, which the AI is terrible at).

That reminds me, why is the AI so awful at naval combat? You'd think the complete absence of terrain variety would give them a fighting chance, but no.

I believe there are lots of bugs regarding the ability of the AI to move and then shoot, which is pretty big in naval combat.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
SURPRISE EARLY LOOK: JAPAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEavgTOIA8
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHo_ZLmy94 for the official International subbed video, rather than 2K Japan's hard-subbed version.

The narrator is still English.

Unique Ability: Meiji Restoration - Extra bonuses for Districts built next to each other.

Leader Ability: Divine Wind - Land units get a combat bonus for fighting next to the coast, Naval units get a combat bonus for fighting in shallow water tiles.

Unique Unit: Samurai - don't lose combat strength when they take damage. (Unlocked by Military Tactics technology)

Unique Building: Electronics Factory - (replaces Factory in Industrial Zone Districts) provides bonus Production and Culture to nearby cities (not just its home city).

Hogama fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 8, 2016

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So, Japan gets Nintendo as their unique building.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Hogama posted:

Leader Ability: Divine Wind - Land units get a combat bonus for fighting next to the coast, Naval units get a combat bonus for fighting in shallow water tiles.

What is the historical context for this? Seems like it would make it difficult to invade Japan.

edit: and perhaps a bonus to invade someone else, I guess.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

John F Bennett posted:

What is the historical context for this? Seems like it would make it difficult to invade Japan.

edit: and perhaps a bonus to invade someone else, I guess.

I believe Tokugawa-era Japan is known for having fended off Mongol invasions, so that adds up.

E: I meant Tokimune.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 8, 2016

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

The kamikaze (lit. divine wind) referred to the typhoons that ravaged Kublai Khan's naval invasion force (on two separate occasions), but the storms didn't do all the work alone; the Japanese ships of the time were more adapted to the local waters and picked off stragglers in the first invasion attempt. Still, the Mongolian assault had initially gained some traction. In the second invasion, the Japanese coastal defenses were much more well prepared and the Mongols were soundly repulsed by the land forces.

So it mostly seems to reflect the human element of the time, which makes sense as it's Tokimune's ability and he was more or less in charge of the country (such as it was) at the time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A couple of new Eurekas can be seen, too.

I know they'd mentioned that wars would start getting more complex as the eras advanced but as far as I recall this is the first time an actual casus belli system has been explicitly referred to in game.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

The lady in the video also said that the benefits just make it easier for Japan to play an island map. So there is also that - mechanics enforcing a bit of RP

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hogama posted:

A couple of new Eurekas can be seen, too.

I know they'd mentioned that wars would start getting more complex as the eras advanced but as far as I recall this is the first time an actual casus belli system has been explicitly referred to in game.

Naw they've talked about it before, vaguely. The idea, hopefully, is it curbs the AI being seemingly random about declaring wars but also help remove the "declare war once everyone hates you forever" of civ 5 by letting the player at least try and explain what they're doing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hogama posted:

The kamikaze (lit. divine wind) referred to the typhoons that ravaged Kublai Khan's naval invasion force (on two separate occasions), but the storms didn't do all the work alone; the Japanese ships of the time were more adapted to the local waters and picked off stragglers in the first invasion attempt. Still, the Mongolian assault had initially gained some traction. In the second invasion, the Japanese coastal defenses were much more well prepared and the Mongols were soundly repulsed by the land forces.

So it mostly seems to reflect the human element of the time, which makes sense as it's Tokimune's ability and he was more or less in charge of the country (such as it was) at the time.

For reference, the more famous kamikaze, ie: the Japanese suicide pilots in WW2, was meant to be an allusion to this. They thought of themselves as becoming the "Divine Wind" that would protect Japan from naval invasion again.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If Gandhi is in the game, I wonder what sort of unique units and abilities he's going to get.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tactically I find the Civ V AI does naval combat decently because it doesn't get bogged down the way that land units do. But it's very weak strategically because it allocates units to very rigid roles and does not reevaluate their usage in response to threats. So they'll do things like spread their fleet out on coast defense and let you pick them off 1-2 at a time without bothering to send nearby pickets in as reinforcements, or launch a massive invasion fleet and ignore hostile ships that aren't directly in the way of their objective (and then once those hostile ships snipe a few carriers and other key fleet elements, most of the fleet will probably turn around and sail home without bothering to fight because "return to port" becomes their overriding objective.)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gabriel Pope posted:

Tactically I find the Civ V AI does naval combat decently because it doesn't get bogged down the way that land units do. But it's very weak strategically because it allocates units to very rigid roles and does not reevaluate their usage in response to threats. So they'll do things like spread their fleet out on coast defense and let you pick them off 1-2 at a time without bothering to send nearby pickets in as reinforcements, or launch a massive invasion fleet and ignore hostile ships that aren't directly in the way of their objective (and then once those hostile ships snipe a few carriers and other key fleet elements, most of the fleet will probably turn around and sail home without bothering to fight because "return to port" becomes their overriding objective.)

In one of my last games I was attacking oversea Rome, in late game. The AI was defending its coast quite well even though I had a superior navy. I was having to call more and more ships to cope with the losses.

Then all of sudden like 5 destroyers show up near my coast. Since my whole navy was at their coast, I had nothing to defend. And since most of my army was already there too, it seemed like the AI it was making a very smart move: striking my undefended homeland while all I had was across the ocean. And so I though "clever fuckers, they sent the destroyers first to clear the way, now come the troops to invade".

Well, nope: no troops were coming and the ships just kept hanging around this town, getting shot by its garrison and a couple of cannons I had there, until Ive sunk then all. Meanwhile, my navy near his coast completely destroyed the ships he had there, something he could have prevented (or at least made a lot more costly) with those 5 destroyers

The AI really sucked at war in Civ 5, land or sea

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 8, 2016

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Everything I hear makes me want to this game more. Many were worried that despite the idea of the map controlling so much, that the community would still find the best build and make the game static. But the more I see about the unique bonuses, and how they interact with the geography, the more I feel that the best we'll be able to do is devise a best build per civ.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Which frankly is a bit better than the get tradition build libraries/ science always strat that was pretty effective for every single civ in civ 5.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

fleshy echidna posted:

Which frankly is a bit better than the get tradition build libraries/ science always strat that was pretty effective for every single civ in civ 5.

Get the CBP mod

Gort fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 11, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Good news everyone! Christopher Tin is back.

Christopher Tin posted:

I have a big announcement to make! I’ve returned to Sid Meier’s Civilization franchise and have written the theme for the latest installment, Civilization VI. :)

The new song is called "Sogno di Volare", which translates in Italian to “The Dream of Flight”. I took snippets of Leonardo da Vinci’s writings on flight and set them to a new hymn evoking the Age of Exploration.

The game itself will not be released until October 21st this year, but I will be conducting a special sneak preview of the theme live in my concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London on July 19th. We'll also be performing many of my other works including: "Baba Yetu", selections from Calling All Dawns, a suite from my upcoming album about birds, and a rare performance of The Drop That Contained the Sea in its entirety!

This London concert will be very special for me, so if you’re in the London area please come and say hi to me at the meet-and-greet after the concert! But, if you can’t make London, we’ll be doing two smaller shows in York and Harrogate earlier that week (but without the premier of the new Civ VI theme). Ticket info for all three concerts is below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've never wished I still lived in London as much as I do right now.